Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pubic works project posted:

Maybe Oz IS Conner?!?!?!

I mean, stranger poo poo has happened. Oz appeared to be older in the few glimpses we've gotten but I guess it's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

I mean, stranger poo poo has happened. Oz appeared to be older in the few glimpses we've gotten but I guess it's possible.

You know those clones! Always agin' fast!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

OZ is J'onn you heard it here first.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

X-O posted:

That's what I thought. I'm trying to think how he could tie into Oz in some way. Maybe Oz has him locked up with Doomsday and Tim.

Conner will make Tim remember the old continuity and become best bros again while they escape.

I just really liked their dynamic :smith:

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I still stand by my dumb theory that the reveal is gonna be that Oz is actually Jon Osterman and the reveal of the actual villain is that it's Ozymandias who has somehow stolen Manhattan's powers.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 27, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So after I'm done reading some classics, I'm gonna be looking into making picking up a few ongoings. Already have recommendations for Bat Family stuff.

However, the recent hubbub about Injustice 2 had me look into the first game's Story Mode. Green Arrow was by far my favorite character but I don't know much about him apart from what I read on a blog. But anyway, is his current ongoing worth reading?

I hear I should also read the Injustice tie-in comics?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yup Green Arrowis good, but I'd go to Jeff Lemire's N52 run first. Most of the supporting cast spring from that. You can get it in one collection https://www.amazon.com/Green-Lemire-Andrea-Sorrentino-Deluxe/dp/1401257615
Also, it rules. The artist collaboration was so choice they went off and made Wolverine comics together.
You can skip the issues between Lemire's and Rebirth, even though they're by the guy who writes it now, they weren't amazing.

edit: You definitely don't need to seek the N52 issues before Jeff starts. Yeesh.

EDIT!: No idea why I typed 'Lantern.'

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 27, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yup Green Lantern is good, but I'd go to Jeff Lemire's N52 run first. Most of the supporting cast spring from that. You can get it in one collection https://www.amazon.com/Green-Lemire-Andrea-Sorrentino-Deluxe/dp/1401257615
Also, it rules. The artist collaboration was so choice they went off and made Wolverine comics together.
You can skip the issues between Lemire's and Rebirth, even though they're by the guy who writes it now, they weren't amazing.

edit: You definitely don't need to seek the N52 issues before Jeff starts. Yeesh.

All I've read is the Lemire run and honestly I don't even think you need it. Green Arrow is probably my favorite of the Rebirth stuff besides Superman. And it consistently has the best art and rotating art team of pretty much any Rebirth title I've seen.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, the only comic one needs to read is Secret Empire, my dear boy.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 27, 2017

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

KaosMachina posted:

I still stand by my dumb theory that the reveal is gonna be that Oz is actually Jon Osterman and the reveal of the actual villain is that it's Ozymandias who has somehow stolen Manhattan's powers.

This whole thing has felt like Infinite Crisis Redux but with characters that we're even more so left behind than SBP, Earth 2 Superman, Alexander Luthor. Instead of a giant space goatse I feel like it's going to be a giant blue dong that will attempt to whack possible timelines together to "fix" things.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yup Green Lantern is good, but I'd go to Jeff Lemire's N52 run first. Most of the supporting cast spring from that. You can get it in one collection https://www.amazon.com/Green-Lemire-Andrea-Sorrentino-Deluxe/dp/1401257615

He means Green Arrow here, not Lantern. You don't need to read Green Lantern for Green Arrow, there's no cross-over or anything.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

He means Green Arrow here, not Lantern. You don't need to read Green Lantern for Green Arrow, there's no cross-over or anything.

Yeah I was confused at first too but when I checked the link I realized they just made an easy mistake.

Also I have a super random question that's kind of related to DC and kind of not.

What's the deal with Grant Morrison? He seems like he's supposed to be one of the big names of the industry and I hear a lot about his Batman and X-Men (two franchises I care about) but at the same time, it seems he did really weird things to both franchises. I don't think I've met a Damien Wayne fan in my life and was Morrison a proponent of the "Batgod aka Batman can prepare for anything" idea?

Thing is, I freely admit I've never actually read any of his work. I just get mixed signals. Many years ago when I first started reading comics I found Morrison in a list of "The Best" alongside Alan Moore. I think I mainly remember this because both of them are supposed to be insane. Did one of them think he was abducted by aliens? I'm not sure what it was.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Grant Morrison thinks he's a wizard and can do real magic.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Ive yet to see anything disproving this.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I don't think Morrison is a comic god or a wizard or anything, but I really enjoyed his stuff with X-Men and Batman. His Justice League was really good too.

Oh and I have a coworker who loves Damian and my sister is obsessed with him. So those people do exist.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

The arc of his Justice League run with the Martians was real magic.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wizards have beards. Morrison doesn't have any hair at all.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

pubic works project posted:

I don't think Morrison is a comic god or a wizard or anything, but I really enjoyed his stuff with X-Men and Batman. His Justice League was really good too.

Oh and I have a coworker who loves Damian and my sister is obsessed with him. So those people do exist.

I'm not one to judge - I have many apparently awful opinions, like caring about Jason Todd.

I shouldn't be surprised there are Damien fans out there. There are fans of everything. Good to be open-minded.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah I was confused at first too but when I checked the link I realized they just made an easy mistake.

Also I have a super random question that's kind of related to DC and kind of not.

What's the deal with Grant Morrison? He seems like he's supposed to be one of the big names of the industry and I hear a lot about his Batman and X-Men (two franchises I care about) but at the same time, it seems he did really weird things to both franchises. I don't think I've met a Damien Wayne fan in my life and was Morrison a proponent of the "Batgod aka Batman can prepare for anything" idea?

Thing is, I freely admit I've never actually read any of his work. I just get mixed signals. Many years ago when I first started reading comics I found Morrison in a list of "The Best" alongside Alan Moore. I think I mainly remember this because both of them are supposed to be insane. Did one of them think he was abducted by aliens? I'm not sure what it was.

Damian Wayne is awesome. You need to read 52 Batman and robin

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Morrisons JLA run is probably my favorite thing in comics ever.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Damian Wayne is awesome. You need to read 52 Batman and robin

I need to read a lot of things. I'll add this to my ever-growing list.

Currently:
The Dark Knight Returns
Kingdom Come
Batwoman Elegy
That big-rear end Green Arrow collection
Batman and Robin

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

NikkolasKing posted:

Morrison is a guy who comes up with cool ideas/stories and has a genuine love for comic books, but sometimes his cool ideas/stories outpace has capability of actually writing cool stories. Most of his stuff is great (Multiversity, Batman run) but sometimes he gets to ahead of himself and it can go off the rails a little bit (and I know I am in the minority here but this is how I felt about Final Crisis). He also has some tropes that he plays on over and over again and your enjoyment of those might vary (like how everything is symbolic of a different time in comic history). Personally I prefer when he does more straight forward fun stuff like in JLA or Batman. When I talk about his ideas and such I am also talking about his ambitions when doing comics which can put some people off.
Also add me to the camp that loves Damian.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Wizards have beards. Morrison doesn't have any hair at all.

It's the perfect disguise.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Roth posted:

I actually ended up really loving that issue of Blue Beetle. I'm glad the comic shop left it in on accident, and the final page is pretty hype

Enjoyed it way more than Teen Titans actually, which I'm becoming increasingly convinced was good in the first few issues because of Meyers, and definitely not Percy.

I know you probably won't have an answer cuz you just started but does anyone have an answer as to why he's wearing Ted's old costume. I like that Ted is back but they seemed to have mostly just done nothing with him yet.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Damian Wayne loving rules

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Damian Wayne loving rules

The best part of the character is whenever he gets dunked on hard for being a little poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Morrison made Magneto Hitler, which is pretty much the only worse Hitlering you can do in comics than Cap.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Read his Batman and X-Men. They are very good, and will make you look at those franchises in new ways. His JLA is arguably the best team book ever. Epic heroes in epic stories. Seven Soldiers takes seven four issue mini series starring lower tier characters, and weaves them into a larger mega story. Multiversity is a wild ride across the multiverse, each issue is unique, and has some of the best artists at DC lending their talents.

Books like Animal Man, Doom Patrol, and Flex Mentallo will change how you look at super heroes.

And Damian Wayne is a treasure. He's easy to hate, but is quite endearing if you give him more than a surface glance.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

good day for a bris posted:

I know you probably won't have an answer cuz you just started but does anyone have an answer as to why he's wearing Ted's old costume. I like that Ted is back but they seemed to have mostly just done nothing with him yet.

I'm not reading the book, but the solicits for the recent issues mention something about Jaime losing his powers. I assume whatever conflict is still ongoing, so he's going to use Ted's old gear to resolve it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

Also Morrison made Magneto Hitler, which is pretty much the only worse Hitlering you can do in comics than Cap.

That was Xorn.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Skwirl posted:

That was Xorn.

But I thought Xorn was the energy cloud in alaska made up of all the depowered mutants :downs:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

frodnonnag posted:

The best part of the character is whenever he gets dunked on hard for being a little poo poo.

especially by Steph and/or Supergirl

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

redbackground posted:

especially by Steph and/or Supergirl

Supersons so far is amazing.

Dork Knight!

What has steph and supergirl done?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

NikkolasKing posted:

I need to read a lot of things. I'll add this to my ever-growing list.

Currently:
The Dark Knight Returns
Kingdom Come
Batwoman Elegy
That big-rear end Green Arrow collection
Batman and Robin

If you are doing a DC kick I really can't recommend Omega men enough. Read it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

frodnonnag posted:

Supersons so far is amazing.

Dork Knight!

Read Stephanie's Batgirl solo title. Not just for her and Damian bouncing off each other but also because it's really great

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

frodnonnag posted:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 27, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

That's hilarious, what's that from?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

That's hilarious, what's that from?

The World's Finest miniseries from 2009. It's fantastic.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 27, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

good day for a bris posted:

But I thought Xorn was the energy cloud in alaska made up of all the depowered mutants :downs:

No, that was Xorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

I'd really love to see Damian and Cass interact more. I just want to see him have a combination of :swoon: and :argh: after he realizes that she beat up an entire league of super-ninjas single-handedly.