Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
N: Tulane now has a QB that can throw the ball.
V: Tulane is probably going bowling this year.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.nola.com/v1/articles/20548044/tulane_coach_willie_fritz_name_1.amp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Korranus posted:

It's got to be cheaper for ESPN to just honor their contract to UT. I don't see any other reason they're keeping it alive.

I think if ESPN pulls the plug, UT gets a lump sum of the amount promised over the 20-year period. That would be hundreds of millions of dollars.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

PostNouveau posted:

Ah, the ol' Charlie Strong Method.

Poor Charlie :(

gently caress charlie strong he sucked and i hate him

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Can someone repost the piss chart because I need to prove that there's such a thing as championship hydration to someone

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sash! posted:

Can someone repost the piss chart because I need to prove that there's such a thing as championship hydration to someone

If they have to ask, they probably aren't hydrating like a champion

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sash! posted:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

KKKLIP ART posted:

Everyone knows the only school college football players have to take calc is georgia Tech

It's true, I'm pretty sure every major at Tech requires at least two semesters of calculus.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Area 51 btw is an early retirement for multiple concussions

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Thanks. Good to know where I stood today too.

Declan MacManus posted:

If they have to ask, they probably aren't hydrating like a champion

My friend probably isn't, so I need to show him he's being selfish and holding everyone back

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
#8: rhabdomyolysis

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
YOU ARE A BAD GUY!!!!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Quandary posted:

YOU ARE A BAD GUY!!!!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Spacebump posted:

N: Tulane now has a QB that can throw the ball.
V: Tulane is probably going bowling this year.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.nola.com/v1/articles/20548044/tulane_coach_willie_fritz_name_1.amp

I am so excited for more Fritzball

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/857261094561341440

:(

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I'm admittedly not a business person, so what the hell do I know, but...how much money is laying off 100ish people going to save? I'm under the impression ESPNs problems are in the 100s of millions of dollars range.

People are cutting cable, and ESPN has been a poo poo product for a long time. I would think retaining people to improve quality would be the way to go.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

TipTow posted:

I'm admittedly not a business person, so what the hell do I know, but...how much money is laying off 100ish people going to save? I'm under the impression ESPNs problems are in the 100s of millions of dollars range.

People are cutting cable, and ESPN has been a poo poo product for a long time. I would think retaining people to improve quality would be the way to go.

They're locked into multi billion dollar contracts with sports leagues, so payroll is the only thing they can really cut

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TipTow posted:

It adds up quick. Labor costs are always going to be quite a bit for any organization, and there's no way they didn't also let go of a LOT of people behind the scenes as well.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

a neat cape posted:

They're locked into multi billion dollar contracts with sports leagues, so payroll is the only thing they can really cut

So I guess the real question here is when do tv rights fees with the major sports start going down?

Are the other networks able to poach a few properties from ESPN over the next decade, or do they go under because of the same forces that are forcing ESPN to downsize?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
My understanding is its also not entirely driven by money (contract money, that is) because the layoffs came from ESPN and not Disney itself. They're trying to reshape their programming and this is part of it.

It's probably necessary, honestly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TipTow posted:

I guess like $5 million a year if you take an average salary of $50,000. The dozens that are public are all talent who for sure make more than that, but then they're probably axing a bunch of behind the scenes people too. Then health and retirement benefits that they don't have to pay for those people as well.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

General Dog posted:

So I guess the real question here is when do tv rights fees with the major sports start going down?

Are the other networks able to poach a few properties from ESPN over the next decade, or do they go under because of the same forces that are forcing ESPN to downsize?

NBA in 2025, NFL in 2022, MLB 2021.

College sports are kinda weird in that the conferences sell the broadcasting rights, not the NCAA, so they're split up all over the place. The College Football Playoff is 2025 and the NCAA Men's Tournament is through 2032. PAC-12 is 2024, Big 12 is 2025, ACC 2027, SEC 2034, Big 10 2023.

All according to http://adage.com/article/media/big-ten-deal/304667/

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I wish ESPN would lay off the hot take crew and not the actual reporters

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah they laid off the Big 12 blogger :(

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

More announcer-less broadcasts please.

Except Rex Ryan, who is good at it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I wish ESPN would lay off the hot take crew and not the actual reporters

outside of actual sporting events, the hot take crew are the only things bringing them any meaningful ratings right now

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

DJExile posted:

outside of actual sporting events, the hot take crew are the only things bringing them any meaningful ratings right now

I don't know how Fox Sports is paying Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd so much when ESPN is laying off people left and right

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

a neat cape posted:

I don't know how Fox Sports is paying Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd so much when ESPN is laying off people left and right

Because Fox Sports keeps getting outbid for sport rights which has kept their total commitment low while still raking in significant enough cash on their regional network TV deals.

Basically, ESPN spent all their money buying up TV rights, while Fox Sports is spending all their money on talent.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

DJExile posted:

Yea, I mean people fail to see this aspect when talking about it. The ratings and the money advertisers pay aren't based off nightly SC numbers, it's off of whoever is at home watching ESPN in the middle of the day instead of, you know, being gainfully employed. Now when you consider those people consider what other kind of television is on in the middle of the day and why hot take shows on ESPN might then appeal to that crowd.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

He's probably the best college football reporter when it comes to breaking news on stuff like coaching changes but in an era where that stuff immediately just gets spread everywhere on twitter two seconds later i don't know how valuable it really is

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Sounds like Washington just scheduled a series with Ohio State in 2024-5

Man I hate that these games are scheduled so far out in advance, I want to see that happen within the next 2-3 years

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTZbAQ_h6CD/

More Jalen Ramsey clones please

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
What conference has their TV contract up next? They may get caught without a seat when the music stops.

And Rutgers will be in the Big Ten Forever...forever...forever...forever

(at least they beat Michigan that one time, that was funny)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Manoueverable posted:

Sounds like Washington just scheduled a series with Ohio State in 2024-5

Man I hate that these games are scheduled so far out in advance, I want to see that happen within the next 2-3 years

It's important to win over those fifth-grade superstars with games like this.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Spacemonkey57 posted:

What conference has their TV contract up next? They may get caught without a seat when the music stops.

And Rutgers will be in the Big Ten Forever...forever...forever...forever

(at least they beat Michigan that one time, that was funny)

I don't know about that but they owe the ACC either a network or a whole boatload of cash in the near future.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

a neat cape posted:

Fox has NFL (NFC non-primetime) games, which is a massive score for them. They also don't have the problem CBS has in that their local newscasts start an hour ahead of the traditional late night news broadcasts, which means the local stations aren't too bitchy (this is why CBS is bitching to the NFL). They also have the first half of NASCAR, NHRA (which is probably cheap), IMSA (also cheap), select MLB games (less than ESPN's, but they get the playoffs), Big 12, and Big Ten now. The NFL package is probably by far their priciest to acquire, then NASCAR's. MLB is probably close.

They also have the regional stations which picks up A LOT of local sports coverage, like FS-WI has Brewers and Bucks if neither of them are national, and occasionally Wild games. They've also covered Marquette and provide more Wisconsin/Upper Midwest oriented shows.

Still sucks that Rutgers joined the Big Ten, just for TV market rights.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Pakled posted:

PAC-12 is 2024, Big 12 is 2025, ACC 2027, SEC 2034, Big 10 2023.

All according to http://adage.com/article/media/big-ten-deal/304667/

I'd be more worried about the Pac-12 than the Big Ten, in my honest opinion - the Pac-12 Network has less clearance than BTN.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly, BTN got points in my book because they decided "Well, if no one is going to show the Women's NCAA Hockey Championship, we should." Sadly it didn't end the way I wanted it but being able to watch it on TV was cool and good.

The conference TV networks get props for showing the sports that normally wouldn't get broadcasted otherwise as well.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

I don't know about that but they owe the ACC either a network or a whole boatload of cash in the near future.

Yeah, that whole ACC Network thing looks a bit dubious right now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh, hey hey!

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/857728806081122304

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Fox has UFC too don't they?

• Locked thread