Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

quote:

Fixed a bug causing incorrect lighting on the 2x scope

This one is pretty nice as well. I ran into that a few rounds ago, during one firefight the light came in from just the right angle that the glare completely obscured the actual reticle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

jonathan posted:

As someone who has taken a shot of buckshot to the face from a ricochet irl, you could drop someone I am sure at 100m/300'.

We drop deer with 12g buckshot from 300' all the time so ya

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm really looking forward to the hardcore FPS mode. PUBG is really fun but has reminded me how rear end I am at third person shooters.

Speaking of, I'm really curious to see what the longevity of this game is. It's kind of insane to me how quickly they can fill a 100 person match, especially considering they queue separately for squads and duos, but it'll be interesting to see what it looks like when people have started to move on to other stuff.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I'm really looking forward to the hardcore FPS mode. PUBG is really fun but has reminded me how rear end I am at third person shooters.

Speaking of, I'm really curious to see what the longevity of this game is. It's kind of insane to me how quickly they can fill a 100 person match, especially considering they queue separately for squads and duos, but it'll be interesting to see what it looks like when people have started to move on to other stuff.

So far I dont see that happening for a long while based on the quality of the game and the amount of H1Z1 and Arma III BR converts it has

This is the first EA game in my mind that will probably actually leave EA close to on time

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

There is more fuckery to smoke grenades than just this but this is the worst aspect of them by far.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Smoke grenades look differently to each person because they use a seed and disperse from there

so you may think you're fully covered on your screen but on your aggressor's screen you're standing next to the column of smoke masturbating

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I one shot a dude ~50m away from me with the pump shotgun, but I also had a choke

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
My first ever win:

Boy, those last 15 seconds or so, probably the most tense I've ever had a game make me feel. I could feel the blood pulsing in my neck.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

Verviticus posted:

are you soloing in duo/squad?

Yeah, I usually solo in Squad to get better/ have more intense fights.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

PantsBandit posted:

There are 100,000 people playing this midday on a Thursday, it came into EA in a really solidly playable state, and it's been updated 3 times since I bought it two and a half weeks ago. That doesn't mean anything for sure but it's a good sign. Who knows, but it's as popular as anything I've seen on Steam that isn't a Valve game.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The rush you get when you are in the top 10 is really amazing. I can't remember the last game that got me like this. The potential this game has is really something else.

Also, is the pump lovely preferred over the over-under now?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

PantsBandit posted:

I don't see it going anywhere for a long while. It's breaking 100k concurrent players on a regular basis, and they've already built a lot of goodwill with their regular communication and patches.

The most surprising thing to me is that H1Z1 is still doing really, really well too. You would think with PUBG getting such big numbers so quickly that it would have cannibalized lots of players from the few other games in the genre, but it doesn't seem to have happened at all. To me, this says that the genre is growing very quickly, which points to some excellent longevity.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Do you mean slugs? I wasn't aware it was even legal to hunt deer with buckshot, much less that you could reliably kill a deer at 100 yards with it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Do you mean slugs? I wasn't aware it was even legal to hunt deer with buckshot, much less that you could reliably kill a deer at 100 yards with it.

In michigan we can only use buckshot south of like Gaylord, then north of that you can use Rifles and in the Upper Peninsula we can use whatever

I've only ever used firearms in michigan so I can't speak to what it's like elsewhere considering in australia only farmers could have firearms :v:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 27, 2017

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mesadoram posted:

The rush you get when you are in the top 10 is really amazing. I can't remember the last game that got me like this. The potential this game has is really something else.

Also, is the pump lovely preferred over the over-under now?

O/U will blast through even level 3 armor/helmet, but is less forgiving of fuckups than the pump.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

If most FPSs represented the range of a 12g shotgun realistically then they would be the most OP weapons and there would be no reason to use rifles/SMGs. But since this game has a lot of long range fights it makes sense to keep it realistic.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Apparently this new 435mb patch made a ton of map changes that are undocumented

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I want this gun in the game
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1895-big-bore/model-1895sbl

most enjoyable gun ive ever fired

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Futaba Anzu posted:

Apparently this new 435mb patch made a ton of map changes that are undocumented

I only got a single 1.3gb patch
and then a second 430mb patch for the test client.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

jonathan posted:

I only got a single 1.3gb patch
and then a second 430mb patch for the test client.

The 430 one is what I was talking about but that's odd since I don't have the test client installed hm

new map looking good
https://my.mixtape.moe/gmbhjw.webm

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 27, 2017

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Y'all keep talking about how nervous the last fifteen seconds make you and I'm just here enjoying my anxiety meds and stroking my choked 686

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

The 430 one is what I was talking about but that's odd since I don't have the test client installed hm

new map looking good

The linked thingo doesnt work

e: oh i see now

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 27, 2017

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm one of those people playing this game (badly) who has never played any other games in this genre.

I'm also super lovely at hitting people with any of the guns and can't wait for some kind of shooting range so I can get some practice. I'm also rubbish at determining where shots are coming from based on sound... maybe I'm just a garbage player. :v:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Futaba Anzu posted:

new map looking good

This has happened to me since launch but not since the 1st patch. While it's happening my hard drive is going nuts, so sometimes it's just a long load. I assume a SSD would clear this up.

If you lay somewhere and give it some time, it loads the buildings. Just dont combat drop anywhere.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Long loading times and buildings being like that is the thing I fixed by playing with more than 8 gigs of ram.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Speaking as someone who doesn't like brawling in the cities for any chance at decent loot to start, the old loot spread was better

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

My buddy sat in a bush for 10 minutes in the center of 3 circles and didn't get shot at until near the very end. Here's the last 5 minutes of it.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138385087

The takeaway is stop moving around when you don't need to, you ADD motherfuckers, movement is the easiest thing to spot.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I dont want to sound like a oval office here but this game does not work well on poorspec systems. I'm sure this will be resolved farther into development but i reckon it will still be a game that requires pretty high spec'd systems

edit: considering i've been on poorspec machine for the last 8 years I feel your pain :(

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Aranan posted:

I'm one of those people playing this game (badly) who has never played any other games in this genre.

I'm also super lovely at hitting people with any of the guns and can't wait for some kind of shooting range so I can get some practice. I'm also rubbish at determining where shots are coming from based on sound... maybe I'm just a garbage player. :v:

Just practice, you'll pick up all those things. For a 'shooting range', drop in solo, loot some weapons, and just practice shooting stuff. Quit to lobby if you run out of ammo and can't find any more nearby.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Unoriginal Name posted:

Speaking as someone who doesn't like brawling in the cities for any chance at decent loot to start, the old loot spread was better

Latest patch supposedly reverted it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm watching sacriel and his kingsmen squad keeps getting great lvl 3 loot and AR's out the rear end

and naturally sac wants all the crossbows

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian

Bardeh posted:

I don't see it going anywhere for a long while. It's breaking 100k concurrent players on a regular basis, and they've already built a lot of goodwill with their regular communication and patches.

The most surprising thing to me is that H1Z1 is still doing really, really well too. You would think with PUBG getting such big numbers so quickly that it would have cannibalized lots of players from the few other games in the genre, but it doesn't seem to have happened at all. To me, this says that the genre is growing very quickly, which points to some excellent longevity.

The reason why H1Z1 still seems to be holding on to it’s big numbers is that it’s been blowing up in China for a while now. That’s why H1Z1 can hit 140k players in the Steam stats but the player numbers just melt away past 12PM EST.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cyberdud posted:

The reason why H1Z1 still seems to be holding on to it’s big numbers is that it’s been blowing up in China for a while now. That’s why H1Z1 can hit 140k players in the Steam stats but the player numbers just melt away past 12PM EST.

Ya the number one streamer complaint about H1Z1 is it's all chinese players with chinese ping (and often times cheats)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
God I hope they make hardcore servers a priority

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

God I hope they make hardcore servers a priority

I hope they add the FOV slider first, I can't stand how narrow the view is in first person right now.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I hope they add the FOV slider first, I can't stand how narrow the view is in first person right now.

Both would be incredibly welcome additions.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Akion posted:

Latest patch supposedly reverted it.

Yeah, I meant the change they reverted. It's back to concentrating the poo poo out of the loot, so you either go big city for garaunteed chances (and brawls) or just randomly get hosed in the outskirts

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jbellizzi253/status/857497901513224192

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
If you hate your ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl