Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Now that you've seen Oliver and Company, it's finally time to watch the Aristocats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Wow - "What might not have come of it if this man had been educated–or even brought up in a decent society?", C. S Lewis is a loving dickhead.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

Wow - "What might not have come of it if this man had been educated–or even brought up in a decent society?", C. S Lewis is a loving dickhead.

Wait were you not aware? One of his arguments about why expressed sexual desires were wholly unnatural is because he argued no one would willfully watch a show where someone cooks a delicious meal and at the end you cant eat it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Barudak posted:

Wait were you not aware? One of his arguments about why expressed sexual desires were wholly unnatural is because he argued no one would willfully watch a show where someone cooks a delicious meal and at the end you cant eat it.

Like I vaguely knew he's kind of an rear end (especially concerning how Susan was Not Invited Back to Narnia), but the sheer level of snobbish rear end in a top hat radiating from that line just took me aback.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

This is multiple networks, also they have competitions about which cake is the best that you don't get to eat at the end, iirc this is the most popular show in the UK

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I like to believe that Tolkien's hard stance against allegories was just a giant middle finger directed squarely at Lewis and not based off anything else.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I got my copy of Oliver and Company (and The Great Mouse Detective and both Rescuers films and the 1950s Alice in Wonderland and The BFG and even picked up a 3D copy of Moana cuz it was a good film), I suppose I can see how well it held up. I know I greatly enjoyed it as a kid, at any rate.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dirksteadfast posted:

I like to believe that Tolkien's hard stance against allegories was just a giant middle finger directed squarely at Lewis and not based off anything else.

I'd believe it, given the incredible descriptiveness with which Tolkien describes various meals, and which the reader does not get to eat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

This is multiple networks, also they have competitions about which cake is the best that you don't get to eat at the end, iirc this is the most popular show in the UK

Pointing this out and the ensuing argument got me booted for the day from classes as a child so that is the one positive thing CS Lewis has ever done.

If youve not read his non novel works they are written in a style that comes across as both talking down to you mixed with a sense that somehow you are rudely impugning on his time by making him write this book for such an idiot as you to understand these truths he just gets.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Look, he's a busy man Barudak, he doesn't have time to condescend to you at the drop of a hat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Disney sucks but holy poo poo their reasoning is so bad I'm almost tempted to go over to the other side just out of spite.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's fun to think of those two as Cinema Discusso posters :)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Tolkien and Lewis were old-world academics, it's hardly surprising.

Husserl's shocking secret... he was never into film noir!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Schwarzwald posted:

Now that you've seen Oliver and Company, it's finally time to watch the Aristocats.

I will :3:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fangz posted:

It's fun to think of those two as Cinema Discusso posters :)

Yeah, but probably not the ones you're imagining, considering the problem is how conservative and stuffy they are.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Follow up with Gay Purr-ee, which stars Judy Garland as a French country cat who longs for life in the big city.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

YggiDee posted:

Follow up with Gay Purr-ee, which stars Judy Garland as a French country cat who longs for life in the big city.

Well the title alone sells it!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
And be sure to follow that up with Rover Dangerfield, which is about Rodney Dangerfield except he's a dog.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
How do they use these

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Another good thing about the Trolls soundtrack is that they maintained two versions of True Colors, one which is the movie version with the pings and the other a more streamlined one. This in contrast to How to Train Your Dragon 2's, which couldn't even be bothered to do a version of "The Dancing and the Dreaming" without Hoober jumping in and making GBS threads all over it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I learned contempt for the self-proclaimed "intellectual elite" through reading about the French Revolution and the Russian Revolution. They're almost always spoiled children living on their family's money and believe they are greatly contributing to society by discussing philosophy over cards and tea, all while looking down on the maid who serves them, the cook who prepared the meal and are reviled by the idea of the contemptuous laborer.

The older I get, the more sympathy I have for Walt Disney. He was a tremendously hard worker and repeatedly risked everything not to advance his own dime, but to advance animation as an art form. And the whole anti-Semitic thing's pretty unfair since it's applied through a contemporary lense. The man was no goddamn Lovecraft.
Eisner, though? Eisner's a piece of poo poo. :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Disney was a really loving awesome person to have been alive. He wasn't perfect, no one is. But he has a far more positive legacy than most people.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
How *would* things have been different without Disney? Who could have taken his place?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I generally believe in a view of history where things happen in their time, and basically there is a niche and someone was going to fill that niche at around that time. For example, it makes sense to me that calculus was discovered and described at the same time by two different people with little to no prior contact. It was calculus' time, not Leibnitz' or Newton's per se.

However, there are a few outliers to that, and they tend to be ideologues who for whatever reason are also unusually lucky. Walt Disney, Theodore Roosevelt, etc. The world is fundamentally different now than it would have been without them. I do not think that without Walt Disney, there would have necessarily been another "Walt Disney".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fangz posted:

How *would* things have been different without Disney? Who could have taken his place?

Pat Sullivan and Max Fleischer, perhaps.

More evidence that we live in the bad mirror universe. :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Macaluso posted:

How do they use these

Same way ponies using firearms in Fallout:Equestria.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Disney sucks but holy poo poo their reasoning is so bad I'm almost tempted to go over to the other side just out of spite.

What do you disagree with? Their reasoning basically breaks down to, "Disney is removing all the nuance from these traditional stories to better market them," which seems pretty uncontroversial.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
How dare Disney remove the nuance of the prince raping Sleeping Beauty when she's asleep so she wakes up as she gives birth and finds she is his property. Makes u think imho.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

What do you disagree with? Their reasoning basically breaks down to, "Disney is removing all the nuance from these traditional stories to better market them," which seems pretty uncontroversial.

It's mostly Lewis's contempt for low culture; I'm totally on board with criticizing the corrupting influence of mass appeal and capitalism on Disney's work, but he can't separate it from his disdain for America, for new things, for jazz and self-taught artists. I'm probably doing Tolkien a disservice lumping him in because while I don't agree with everything in On Fairy Stories he's got a much more complicated relationship with the material than this nonsense:

quote:

Dwarfs ought to be ugly of course, but not in that way. And the dwarfs’ jazz party was pretty bad. I suppose it never occurred to the poor boob that you could give them any other kind of music. But all the terrifying bits were good, and the animals really most moving: and the use of shadows (of dwarfs and vultures) was real genius. What might not have come of it if this man had been educated–or even brought up in a decent society?

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 27, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. Except for Disney poo poo because Americans are stupid and bad and I am am a proud English fart huffer and probably think colonialism was rad." -- C.S. Lewis

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Of all the things to criticize Lewis and Tolkiens as authors and thinkers, you choose to filter it through the fact that they hated Disney movies.

e: And just lol at calling Lewis narrow-minded while at the same time assuming he was English.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 27, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Of all the things to criticize Lewis and Tolkiens as authors and thinkers, you choose to filter it through the fact that they hated Disney movies.

We all have our totalizing lenses around here. :v:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

In regards to the article posted, it certainly revealed a loathing for the working and underprivileged classes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Honestly what would be really funny is if they had a chance to watch their live action movies.

Or if Lewis got a chance to read gaiman's weird narnia story that had the freaky poo poo in it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
CS Lewis never had sex so his opinion is safe to ignore.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Incel-based animation

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Incel-based animation

I'd rather see The Incal-based animation instead.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah except they're probably animate the recolored version and change all the characters to Americans voiced by John Cena and Roseanne Barr

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The InCelArts style is killing American animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

ImpAtom posted:

I was going to say at least we're getting a live-action adaptation... but a brief glimpse at the wiki page indicates that's not happening now.

Did Moebius ever have any of his work adapted into animation?