Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
the blind leading the blind....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

*meme where poster goes into thread and posts the emoticon whistling and coming in through the door only to become shocked by what's going on, turns color, and slowly backs out*

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
meme where I'm crushing on a mod because that's totally normal

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ah here it is

:yikes:

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
:whitewater::whitewater::whitewater::whitewater::whitewater::whitewater::whitewater::whitewater::whitewater::whitewater:
:whitewater::whitewater::whitewater::whitewater::whitewater::whitewater::whitewater::whitewater::whitewater::whitewater:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Troposphere posted:

the blind leading the blind....

Just get in here and loving draw something already if you've got a problem with it.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Just get in here and loving draw something already if you've got a problem with it.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Elsa posted:

I used your face outline and I'm curious if I turned the mouth too much while making it a smile. Did I turn her face again?

Inspired by these posing photos, I tried to check and even I over-estimated how much face you'd actually see from this angle, so it turns out yeah that's too much. Try looking over your shoulder at the mirror.

Side note tho - as painful for the back as that D.va shot looks like, it's not impossible if you've got a flexible back. Think on those circus performers who can form a circle backwards with their body.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Inspired by these posing photos, I tried to check and even I over-estimated how much face you'd actually see from this angle, so it turns out yeah that's too much. Try looking over your shoulder at the mirror.

Side note tho - as painful for the back as that D.va shot looks like, it's not impossible if you've got a flexible back. Think on those circus performers who can form a circle backwards with their body.

Thanks Sharpest Crayon. I will probably save the face as a separate file and put it on a different body. And then redo the face on this one.

The Dva too. When I make drastic changes like this I just save the file and keep it for something else later. Though I might get away with just the rib cage angle. It looks like I get to keep the hips which is the important part.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

draw something that tells me what you actually like to see then I'll care what you gotta say.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Diabetes Forecast posted:

draw something that tells me what you actually like to see then I'll care what you gotta say.

if this is a "you can't criticize me if you aren't an artist" thing then here

I edited these all super heavily in photoshop so that counts as digital right

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
It's not that. you criticize people's content without offering anything to what you actually want. you just want it changed, right now, without question.

Like, I think your work is boring! it's well crafted, good eye for structure blah blah, but I legit find it boring. I'm not a fan of abstract, but that's what's fun to you specifically.
I ain't gonna claim to be good or anything of the sort. I don't take commission and I don't intend to. my work of importance lies elsewhere. But I don't go around telling everyone what they should be doing with their content. It's their's, it's not mine to tell them what they should be doing with their skill.
Why you gotta be like that whenever you come back in here??

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Troposphere posted:

if this is a "you can't criticize me if you aren't an artist" thing then here
I think this is a the robo lover guy is just mad, because you said hes blind, thing

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I asked for it actually. I like it when people tell me what they think is wrong

I also like verbally abusive women so

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

a hole-y ghost posted:

I think this is a the robo lover guy is just mad, because you said hes blind, thing

the problem I had with his post is he told elsa he didn't push it far enough which is the exact opposite of the problem the picture had, and also robo titty guy giving anatomy advice is funny

also I didn't tell elsa to change his pic now, I told him to try the pose in the
mirror which he did and he saw how it was messed up from that, so I am glad I could help, even if elsa also got a boner from it or whatever

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
gently caress why am I so worried about getting probated today this sucks

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
probations are just a part of the circle of life, namaste

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Im sorry robot guy I'm trying really hard to see this in a balanced way but I can't stop cracking up over the fact that you love robots with big tits and fat vulvas :goleft:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
THAT'S NOT THE ONLY THING I ENJOY OKAY

also content:

girlfriend bought me a Masami Obari artbook and I've been studying a bit on how he designs things from it. yay!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Elsa posted:

Hey it occurred to me that I didn't answer this completely. And it's easy to do a GifCam demo real quick

This is using Kylebrush.com brushes and smudge tools.

So I try to keep like, some texture and some edges while also capturing the diffusion that happens around the edge of a specular.

Thank you soooo much for this. I was on the fence about the Kyle brush pack but you have sold me.

Here is some content. Not sure if I posted the final here.

Thinking about doing a second one in anticipation of Vol 2.

Here is the actual album if anyone is interested.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

anyways in the interests of 1. fairness (or something? I think?) and 2. keeping the thread on track I'll post a pic of a doodle I'm working on right now so you guys can criticize it and I can hopefully listen to you or otherwise just stuff fried clams in my ears and minimize my browser.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

four slow hours later...

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
her right arm is a little short and I think it'd help the body language if you drew the they arm instead of having it behind her back

the mood is very nice!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

thanks!

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

sigma 6 posted:

Thank you soooo much for this. I was on the fence about the Kyle brush pack but you have sold me.

Here is some content. Not sure if I posted the final here.

Thinking about doing a second one in anticipation of Vol 2.

Here is the actual album if anyone is interested.

you're welcome!

hey diabetes forecast I straightened out her back and used your outline. Thanks man it seems so simple after looking at your redo.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Didn't finish cleaning up the underlying lines, but I'm tired of this one. Today's work... I think one of my main problems is I'm a little better at rendering than I am at actually constructing.

Which if I go back a couple of weeks, can be seen in this headshot which has awful, awful scribbled lines and better lighting.

Now for the hysterical:

I noticed within the four drawings that I was just trying to draw a face upside down as opposed to the whole picture.

This one I forced myself to shade in only one direction so I wouldn't try to copy out whole body parts, which I think helped me get closer to the point of the exercise? It's going to take me a while to get the hang of this one.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I think it's even better if someone gives you small sections of an unrecognizable object, unlike a face which is probably the most familiar thing in your mind. Then after you complete the sections they're assembled by the person who gave them to you and you get to see what you made.

There's another fun thing I like to do which is trace over pictures. Sometimes it's the light, sometimes it's a form, but one of the benefits no matter what is getting a feel for the minimum shading needed to convey the image.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

deathbot posted:

Now for the hysterical:

I noticed within the four drawings that I was just trying to draw a face upside down as opposed to the whole picture.

This one I forced myself to shade in only one direction so I wouldn't try to copy out whole body parts, which I think helped me get closer to the point of the exercise? It's going to take me a while to get the hang of this one.
Good! You're improving already. Find some references with strong lighting—it will be a lot easier.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Started adding a bit of basic color to this. Once I get some color over everything, I'll refine shapes and then unify with some subtle color coats.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
her axe arm is reaaallly high. The diagonal of the light makes it more pronounced.

the rendering is fun to look at though. It made me say "oooh"

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

She's supposed to be kind of shrugging/hiking it up but, looking at it again, I think the position of her chest, neck, and jacket don't really reflect that.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
That could explain the position but then there's no narrative that explains it to the viewer

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Yeah. Still looking it over. Going to lower her arm and push it out to the left but I think even still I'll have to change how that side of her jacket and her hair hang over her chest—as they are they're kind of pulling in a nonsensical direction.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
yeah I realize you can't just move the arm at this point. You could erase some of the shoulder and extend the sleeve and arm to keep the alignment of the light intact. won't be easy like a sketch

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'm starting to render Dva's face. Can you tell me if something looks weird to you?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

It looks like she just got her wisdom teeth removed.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
k. Do you think it's because her cheeks are too big, or because her mouth is too small? I just got some feedback that the mouth is too small and she's not smiling enough. Do you think that might fix it?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
her eyes are real small and the bags under them are making her look too old imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
k thanks, awesome. I made the smile harder, reduced the cheeks with more shadow, and made the eyes bigger. Also removed the bags. I was worried I was making her look too 12-years-old actually but :shrug:

how about now?

working out overall composition please lemme know if you see something weird!

reduced head size, widened shoulders and lengthened arms

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 28, 2017