Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The Sandman posted:

Already did that, friendo.

They are in chests later too you monsters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

so... if in theory I knew someone who was an idiot and still hasn't gotten this game. Is there a definitive version, or just preference between console and PC gaming?

Just pick whichever you prefer.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/04/20/an-exclusive-look-at-the-creation-of-nierautomatas-beautiful-concept-art/ There's a good spoiler-free article up on the work that went into designing this area

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
loving Party Cop from Cabin Fever would love Party Tank.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Jack Anderson posted:

loving Party Cop from Cabin Fever would love Party Tank.

please dont compare early 2000s horror Parties with future awesome robot Parties

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I have no idea what made these robots decide to emulate humanity's ability to party hard, but I wholeheartedly endorse it.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

DeafNote posted:

please dont compare early 2000s horror Parties with future awesome robot Parties

Now that I think it, there are way more of the former than the later. Glad NeiR: Atomata is rectifying this.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

JcDent posted:

What's the Fantasy UN game?

Fangz posted:

Avadon.
You don't just play Fantasy UN, you play Completely Amoral Fantasy UN. There are plenty of NPCs that don't even want you to be around because they think if you find something against the wishes of Fantasy UN, the Fantasy UN army will come and wipe their village off the map + kill everyone just because. Even if stopping that something means you save their lives from evil mages unleashing horrors on everyone.

Vogel and Taro Yoko should totally write a game together.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, so Actually Theorizing: In the desert, the machines were imitating human love (both martially with them trying and failing with sex, and parental with the cradle-rocking machine). Here, they're emulating family relationships (the father, mother and child group) and the kind of idealized Disney vacation that all kids dream of.

...Are the machines trying to become human? Also, I'm noticing a sort of disconnect in the machine actions. On one hand, we have the desert and theme park dwellers who were doing the above in relative peace, alongside the city ones who just sort of meander about if you don't attack. On the other hand, we have the factory machines, Marx, Engels, Adam, and this singer dress machine, all of which are clearly shooting to kill (metaphorically speaking).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Adam didn't attack until he was attacked. Now maybe he was always planning to, and just needed to evolve in the right way to fight you. But... what if he learned about attacking from you?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dabir posted:

Adam didn't attack until he was attacked. Now maybe he was always planning to, and just needed to evolve in the right way to fight you. But... what if he learned about attacking from you?

Look, all 2B knows is murder and fishing.

If there'd been a fishing pond, maybe things would have gone different, but there weren't, so it didn't.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Dabir posted:

Imagine if they learn about black box detonations from us.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Well, Pod 042 knows fishing. But 2B does know moose riding.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
[F]ishing with Adam and Eve would have made a great alternate ending.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
People worrying about details like "oh god what is this Adam dude about" or "are machines really this mindless" or "does it matter if I'm turbo-Hitler for killing the Party Tank" are just the best. I know full well none of this matters, and in the end, what we do doesn't matter because we will all be turbo-Hitler thanks to our lord and savior Yoko Taro.

All Hail.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Savior?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Eh, sort of. Ish. Close enough when the alternative is the Watchers.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nier: Automata - Once of these days, BANG ZOOM straight to the moon

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Everything I found was a fight instead of letting it be. :smith:

Also the "recommended" videos were all spoiler-ridden.

:smith: gently caress it, just give the planet to the machines. Humans clearly don't deserve it.

edit: I can't even bring myself to watch the video, I don't want to see Party Tank get blown up.

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 28, 2017

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Glory to mankind

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I wonder a bit about how long this has been a thing machines have been doing. 9S was familiar with the speech phenomenon and the giving birth thing is obviously new, but I wonder if there was maybe some issue in the past as well that maybe ties into the whole "emotions are prohibited" rule. I mainly wonder about the latter cause, why do you need a rule?
Clearly all the androids have emotions: 6O and the office girls doing love life fortune telling, 9S being a dork trying to get a nickname going on, 2B being clearly sad about 9S not remembering the tutorial. If they didn't want the androids to have emotions, then why build them that way?
So, maybe it just didn't matter until now.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If Party Tank is only for parties why does it have functioning guns?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Its clear from that sentence you go to boring parties.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

'Course it does, what kind of lame-rear end parties have you been going to?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

How else are you going to deploy glitter bombs and confetti rockets?

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

It started out as a regular tank before it was retrofitted.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

Zagglezig posted:

If they didn't want the androids to have emotions, then why build them that way?

This assumes it's even possible to build a sentient lifeform that can't feel. Even something as comparatively archaic as Beepy was able to have emotions, after all.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Woodbeam posted:

This assumes it's even possible to build a sentient lifeform that can't feel. Even something as comparatively archaic as Beepy was able to have emotions, after all.

It's kind of a running theme in the Nier universe. The Replicants weren't supposed to have souls and emotions, but we all saw how that turned out.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
People keep calling Adam dickless Sephiroth, but does the original Sephiroth have a dick?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

White Coke posted:

People keep calling Adam dickless Sephiroth, but does the original Sephiroth have a dick?

Whether or not he did to start, I think 20 years of fanfiction have retconned one in.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Descend, Cockless Angel

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Posted in the Badass Pics thread, I thought it was relevant.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Beelzebub might fear it, but YoRHa scanner series unit 9 clearly didn't.

That boy ain't right.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Beelzebub might fear it, but YoRHa scanner series unit 9 clearly didn't.

That boy ain't right.

To be fair, it's a lot easier to deal with when you're mobile and in the air, as opposed to being stationary and the ground.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I guess Bagger 288 is the Japanese name for Engels.

Mundetiam
Apr 28, 2015
I'm in the middle of attempting to platinum and 100% this game, and I love it to bits, but there's one goddamn fish I haven't gotten after 200+ plus attempts in the span of 36 hours.

This sure is a Yoko Taro game.

That said, the fishing is pretty relaxing, so I'm not going to complain too loudly.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Speaking as an on-again, off-again completionist, I highly doubt I'll bother completing the fish encyclopedia since it all boils down to random chance; but maybe.

In any case, I've already got the achievement, so whatever.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

The gently caress did I just watch?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You just watched magic my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've watched it a good three more times since I posted earlier.

• Locked thread