Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
It's the Liberty. Looks like when they changed hte water pump they just didnt do the bottom hose up properly

Well managed to get it back after putting the hose back on and a water refill. Initial diag is not good - still wanted to overheat, there's oil on the cam covers. There's no water in the oil tho and didnt blow any smoke. My guess is that the engine wasnt destroyed but it will need a overhaul. I'll try to drive it about the block and see what else it does, it's possible I just didnt bleed the water system properly refilling..... but yeah no I'm pretty sure the head gaskets at least will be done.

Well.. poo poo. But at least from my first look doing an engine out wont be the worst task ever.

Okay so I have to get a Forester working. Power steering thankfully only looks like a O-Ring and the fitting came loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Welp water is getting into the engine so yep head gaskets at least are toast.

gently caress.

.... Wonder how much forged pistons cost?

So getting out of my angry funk, time to do some WRX rebuild

Ahhhhh! Things are going back in!

MY99 crashbar, MY99 heater assembly

Cleaning out the back seat area ..... and oh yeah thats a Forester XT gearbox

I need a TD04 turbo and the 2.5 litre under the bench has one.......

Hmmmmmmm. What if.......

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Deck the heads and block surface, slap new gaskets in, go. Don't overcomplicate this.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Deck the heads and block surface, slap new gaskets in, go. Don't overcomplicate this.

The 2.5 isnt for the Liberty :)

I have another idea for the Liberty.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

If a mechanic who did the water pump swap didn't clamp the hose on properly, how in gods name is it your problem fixing the motor?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I found a vf14 in my car park at work.

Oil/water lines, actuator, everything.

Somewhere in punchbowl there is a very boring to drive wrx going around

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ferremit posted:

If a mechanic who did the water pump swap didn't clamp the hose on properly, how in gods name is it your problem fixing the motor?

Lets just say I had a bit of an unpleasant conversation with the dealer in question today. Liberty goes back next week to at find out what's blown

Annnnyway.....

A few little bits and pieces being put on - swapped out the aftermarket boost controoler for OEM, put back in OEM fuel filter mount. Not shown - loving huge storm that stopped any more work stripping down half cut for brakelines.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

An Holden Adventura sucks more fuel than a warboy

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

On a slightly different car ....

The RX2 KB has has lot of very unique engineering and given much of it is rather old, the kludges to get it working was many. One of the big ones was the fuel injection, which just didnt exist in the aftermarket at the time. So one of the big problems was voltage drop when starting the car with the electricals just not able to cope with the demand of the ECU and injectors coming to life. The Kludge was in this case a 24v starter system that gave the car enough juice to fire up the EFI and the starter.

Unfortunalty there is a sliiiight issue there. If the starter has any kind of issue, it kinda can be murdered very fast

That stuff is indeed pieces of whatever was in the starter itself

Magnet coming apart in this case and the destruction in sympathy of the rest of the armature.

You should have seen the way the first ECU destroyed the engine twenty+ years ago... it tried to make the engine go backwards at 8000 rpm. And now you can get kits to EFI them easily, but at the time this was absolute cutting edge for a rotary.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh shiney!

So I'm now up to putting the interior back in and I've hit two surprises - there are a few brackets ever so slightly different betweena 95 and a 99 WRX for hte crash bar and the dashboard. Siing up the brackets I need to remove

But in general it fits

Also fits.

PWRC stuff....

The brake problems are probably fixed.

And STILL fit under 15" rims....! Altho KB might need to move to a 7" wide rim, cleareces are stupidly tight.

Also interesting - the gravel rotor is the same diameter as a WRX one BUT it's twice as wide and half the weight. That huge caliper is really is a lot lighter than the stock WRX four pot and the rotor...? Yep, much lighter. Basically what the AP brake weigh in pounds is what the WRX stuff weighs in kilos. We believe we'll lose 20 kgs total. On the other hand KB lost a lot of weight in the wallet too.

Now excuse us cause KB is getting married tomorrow. Garage is closed for now.

edit - I'll leave you with the rear rotor size comparison...

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 21, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well, at least they're way cheaper than the version that has "STI" written on it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Are the Subaru/sumitomo 4 pot front and 2 pot rears basically the same as the Nissan/sumitomo items?

Cos the s-chassis gets cast iron 4 pots while the z/r get aluminium and it's a huge weight saving.

I managed to go to r33 setup all round and my front rotors are bigger (296 vs 280) and the setup weighs less. Balances out on the rear because the drum assembly for the handbrake gets added.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wedding cars :D

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Know any wa goons?
Just posted this on ausrotary but that forum is pretty dead.
http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=249628&p=2814573#p2814573

quote:

For sale: rx808 sedan bare shell, plus complete 929 4cyl coupe
Item Condition:failed projects
Price and price conditions: EOI
Contact Details: p.hough7@gmail.com

I've pretty much given up, these things are an anchor to my life to split up and move on.

1st car:
RX808 sedan shell that was sandblasted and rust repaired a decade ago. I used to have an RX3 so saved parts from it before it fell apart.
The 808 even needed the firewall replace so got the rust repairers to weld in the chassis nos from the rx3 - but I'm representing it as an 808. The firewall and rear beaver was replaced back then, but maybe some rust has appeared on the floor or inside firewall since.
Have most of the rx3 dash, console, door trims etc but they are in poor condition. Lost the old brake upgrades, wheels, diff and seats unfortunately (but there's 808s replacements - old rx3 interior was white, but vinyl painted black, current spare 808 seats are hosed and brown), boxes full of crap included, it's a rolling shell if you deal with the tyres.
My rx3 was originally a 1974 12A, smashed that nosecone in 1994 and got a 10A front oomplete back then. But just before I started this project I paid $1300 for another 12A nosecone, but that's missing the top chrome, but otherwise complete as an extra. have bumpers for either type. Window chrome was painted black in the 1990s unfortunately, and maybe bent. windscreens front and rear inc. Heaps of spare 808 parts like extra doors, trims and dashes too
TL:DR you could build a top quality rx3 sedan out of this with maybe 10k for P&P and interior upholstery. I spent 3k on the rx3, and then 5k buying the 808 and getting it blasted and rust repaired.

2nd car:
1975 929 coupe. I bought it because my 1973 rx4 coupe ended up being full of hail damage under the bog. I bolted on the rx4 front guards and bonnet, plus kepts the rear panel and bumper for it (but not fitted as it's weld in)
The 929 is complete ready to drive away as is (with a carb and brake rebuild), but also saved the complete interior from the rx4 as spare. (rx4 interior was black interior green exterior, 929 has white interior). I bought the 929 rust free, but heaps of rust has appeared in the sill under the side rear window since (as they always rust there)

Also have a "never recently turned 13B BP" and a 12AT with stuffed turbo, various manifolds and webers, oldschool ignition and f7 haltech and engine cross members for both cars.
Also have full intact exhaust for the 929) if you want to stick a 13BP in it (I removed it intact by taking the rx4 diff out)
I'm pretty sure somewhere I have original rx3 and side rx4 badges too.

I want to sell these unfinished projects to someone that is a fanatic/knows what they're doing/won't just rip me off and steal them. I need money to get out of this life/buy a decent car to move away and rebuild my life and not have these around as a boat anchor.
Alternatively, seeking someone looking for a housemate, letting me have storage for them while I rebuild my life and these cars - I just can't stay here, or find anywhere to live while I have them.

I need to be like 14" and loving move on from any aspirations of being normal.

E: the rims on that rx2 annoy me, I used to have them for my rx3 but lost them somehow along with all the proper seats, brake and sus upgrade parts and diffs for both cars.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 23, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Laserface posted:

Are the Subaru/sumitomo 4 pot front and 2 pot rears basically the same as the Nissan/sumitomo items?

Cos the s-chassis gets cast iron 4 pots while the z/r get aluminium and it's a huge weight saving.

I managed to go to r33 setup all round and my front rotors are bigger (296 vs 280) and the setup weighs less. Balances out on the rear because the drum assembly for the handbrake gets added.

There's two (Three?) versions of the WRX four pots. The red ones are light alloy homologated versions - you also have the grey cast ones and I think there is another version. It's more that the AP Racing calipers are made from unobtainium or something cause they are just ridiulously light.

The stock cast disks are also very distintly heavier than the AP rotors but that's expected, two piece rotors are always lighter. Maybe not by this much tho.

Fo3 posted:

Know any wa goons?
Just posted this on ausrotary but that forum is pretty dead.
http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=249628&p=2814573#p2814573

Got pics? That will help. Also how you looking for, most shells ready for a build are stupid expensive so for the right price these should go fast

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, getting pics will be hard as they're buried in the back of the garange and under things. The admin there has already asked me for them.
I have no idea what they're worth as parts. Last I checked, if I had 10k to spend on them the 808 would be worth 30k and the 929 ~20k, so I'm not giving them away but how much I should ask for as parts I have no idea.
Just need enough to buy a decent runabout car and a bed, with some cash left over to insure/run the car for a couple of years

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4695576

Cant say I'm not tempted. I have wanted a genuine STI for a while.

But seriously...... havent I got enough loving Subarus?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
That model Sti is responsible for the scariest car ride I've ever been on and it lasted less than a minute. With a man child at the wheel and a dodgy intersection at the bottom of the hill why wouldn't you wring it for all its worth with launch control. I'm still glad no-one came through at the same time cause the dog leg at the bottom of the street often had people fail to stop and look before they leaped

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

How many times in the past have you asked this and still ended up with another one?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That's like asking if I have enough rotary poo poo yet.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iospace posted:

How many times in the past have you asked this and still ended up with another one?

Too many. I say this'll be the last and a few days / weeks / months later I have another one......

Altho I have been pretty good since I got the Liberty.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Too many. I say this'll be the last and a few days / weeks / months later I have another one......

Altho I have been pretty good since I got the Liberty.

The thing with that model is that its just the old STi in a new chassis. Which I understand is probably a better chassis, but the power train is all the same.

Personally if I was shopping STIs I would be waiting til the FA20DIT is tuned up to STI spec rather than buying into the EJ25 and all its flaws.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Laserface posted:

The thing with that model is that its just the old STi in a new chassis. Which I understand is probably a better chassis, but the power train is all the same.

Personally if I was shopping STIs I would be waiting til the FA20DIT is tuned up to STI spec rather than buying into the EJ25 and all its flaws.

+1

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Laserface posted:

The FA20 has got bigger flaws (The coking issues are an eyeopener) and the so called flaws of the EJ25 are mostly delusions of NASIOC idiots or dickhead Subaru America tuning decisions. The actual truth is that it's actually fairly good and we just dont have the BS tuning issues here esp with RON98. I would be much more inclined to go with a EJ25 over a FA20 anyday. Also would be more inclined to go with a slightly not new one as Subaru are clearly intent on removing more mechanical engineering from their cars.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The FA20 has got bigger flaws (The coking issues are an eyeopener) and the so called flaws of the EJ25 are mostly delusions of NASIOC idiots or dickhead Subaru America tuning decisions. The actual truth is that it's actually fairly good and we just dont have the BS tuning issues here esp with RON98. I would be much more inclined to go with a EJ25 over a FA20 anyday. Also would be more inclined to go with a slightly not new one as Subaru are clearly intent on removing more mechanical engineering from their cars.

Mate I have been looking at buying a subie on and off for a few months now and 90% of the EJ25 models between 2008 and 2014 have rebuilt motors or warranty motors. This is in Australia.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Laserface posted:

Mate I have been looking at buying a subie on and off for a few months now and 90% of the EJ25 models between 2008 and 2014 have rebuilt motors or warranty motors. This is in Australia.

Where on earth are you looking? I havent seen anything like that.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Where on earth are you looking? I havent seen anything like that.

Carsales, specifically STI hatches.

anything EJ25 seems to be absolute cancer.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Laserface posted:

Carsales, specifically STI hatches.

anything EJ25 seems to be absolute cancer.

Under the bench - EJ25 with 250,000 kms, only removed from it's home as the car was T-Boned by a ol lady in a Corolla
MY07 WRX, nil issues (modified)
MY11 Forester - Nil issues
Other spares motor - 300,000kms, nil issues til car wrapped around tree.

The only EJ25 issue I've had was the MY06 that broke the oil pickup. Known weakness but once you are at full pace on gravel / track and gleefully hopping curbs you kinda are asking for poo poo to break prematurely. Replacement has been nil issues.

The real problem will be is that either the cars have been whaled on / tracked or you dig deeper and find they have been modded / reflashed - altho the car club I'm in is full of STI's that have been hammered / modded and they arent blowing up. So I am much more inclined to believe that the EJ25 is perfectly fine rather than a fundamental fault. Unlike the FA20 that has the DI issues with carbonation.

I'm loath to say the "plastic" rods issue on the FA20 is a OEM problem as it's clear that's only an issue if you want to pump more boost. When you race / mod a car, all bets and talk about reliability are off. But think about this - Subaru havent made any public hints about a new motor for the STI, despite the FA becoming widely used on it's range. That's kinda a good hint they are having problems with it as a STI replacement. As an aside, also why the CVT is a cancer for a Levorg / WRX, they just don't take much to blow up and cost you a whole poo poo load of money.

So yeah, not bothered by the EJ25 if I did get a STI. Kiiiiinda leery about the FA series at present tho.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Part of me does keep thinking of putting an FT86 top (side?) end and manifold on a built WRX short block though. Extra injectors in the intake manifold should help with carbon, and then you'll have ports that work and poo poo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

Part of me does keep thinking of putting an FT86 top (side?) end and manifold on a built WRX short block though. Extra injectors in the intake manifold should help with carbon, and then you'll have ports that work and poo poo.

I believe someone is working on port injectors for a FA20 without swapping the intake (As I understand it, DI is poo poo for high revs and huge hp) and as well the FT86 heads flow a fuckton better than the WRX ones.

TBH anyway the FT86 engine would be a better starting point just due to the higher compression (can you say turbo response?) but do a rod replacement first.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Well yeah, I meant in a parts mixing and matching sense - I don't think the full FT86 engine will bolt to the Subaru transaxles.

And DI itself is fine for high revs - evidence the Ferrari 458, and a lot of other racing crap including F1 nowadays - but there seem to be flow limitations in the available injectors, yeah.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Huh. Interesting. The WRX STi NR4 motorsport version is an EJ20.

quote:

I don't think the full FT86 engine will bolt to the Subaru transaxles.

I don't see why not. The issue with a AWD transaxle in the FT86 is the motor is a long way back and the front axles will foul on the motor. Otherwise the FA20 just has the usual bolting arrangement that Subaru have had for years.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 28, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Probably just the same sort of situation as EFI in the 80s, where even stuff as well funded as Honda's turbo V6 needed to run two injectors per cylinder just because they couldn't get bigger ones. Sooner or later, availability of bigger DI jobbies will come along.

Or, well, just throw port injection at it, whatever.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Otherwise the FA20 just has the usual bolting arrangement that Subaru have had for years.

Enh, I'd never been able to confirm that for sure without laying down money. But OK, even easier.

mekilljoydammit fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 28, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

mekilljoydammit posted:

Well yeah, I meant in a parts mixing and matching sense - I don't think the full FT86 engine will bolt to the Subaru transaxles.
A bunch of guys have done EJ swaps, and I think I heard that the EJ bellhousing isn't that much different from the FA/FB.

Starter is on the other side, though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A bunch of guys have done EJ swaps, and I think I heard that the EJ bellhousing isn't that much different from the FA/FB.

Having a read of someone doing a BRZ track day bro car and he's juuuuust discussing this. Also interesting he is also talking about oil starvation issues in h-gee situations the FA/FB apparently suffers from that require at least dry sumping and a bunch of other work as to what motor he'll put into it compared to the EJ series. That's a new one to me.

Edit : Actually I'll go read the whole thread as there's a bunch of poo poo I didnt know on the FA verses the EJ.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

That does it, boxers suck, screw the idea of a 207 into my WRX, I'm chucking the peripheral port 13B in!

OK, I joke about that, but I was thinking about that for my rustbucket GC at one point.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

That does it, boxers suck, screw the idea of a 207 into my WRX, I'm chucking the peripheral port 13B in!

OK, I joke about that, but I was thinking about that for my rustbucket GC at one point.

You might joke but it's been done and it's hellish fast. Oh and a 20B isnt a huge issue to attach to a STI driveline too.

Now just having a BRZ time attack car read......

quote:

I think I heard that the EJ bellhousing isn't that much different from the FA/FB.

Confirmed.

So the FA motor is 300 mm too far back to even think about AWD and can not be push forward far enough easily (even a AWD in the sump is next to impossible). You can on the other had go back another 100mm for a RWD time attack. The engine pick is a EJ20 which needs a motor mount change to suit the far back location and the turbo cannot fit anywhere else other than in front of the engine. Why EJ20 than the newer motors? Well..... yeah plastic rods limit you to about 400MN full stop, ease of intergration and tuning with availible ECU's top end power is indeed still limited by the DI injectors availible and just wont flow anywhere near what is required for E85, the older EJ20 semi closed deck is stronger (noted tho the NA engine is actually better in this regard than open deck EJ's) and there is indeed some quite knarley oil surge issues that arent a simple fix that the EJ doesnt have. Also head flow issues and better intake runners.

So anyway his opinion is that the FA/FB series motors are just too much work and money to even match a light build EJ25 and the EJ20 is a no argument better again. Also he's working on a budget so the EJ20 wins there again. He's saying the FA series is fixable and would in the end possibly end up better than the EJ20 (wether it would or not he doesn't know) but not for the budget he has, it would blow it out badly.

Thinking about engines, I'll have a EJ30 sitting around from this week. I'll be interested to tear it down and..... maybe a project in the future?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

A typical Subaru with typical dead engine due to head gaskets in the back

(New one already in, the orginal is now ready to do....... I dont know. I have a spare EJ30?)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A typical Subaru with typical dead engine due to head gaskets in the back

(New one already in, the orginal is now ready to do....... I dont know. I have a spare EJ30?)

EZ30?

Isn't the EJ30 some special unicorn poo poo 3L flat 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Eh. Yeah that would be it. There's some sort of H6 there that I now have spare for..... something?