Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Looks suspiciously like the WoL command hierarchy tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Bentai posted:

Looks suspiciously like the WoL command hierarchy tree.

:ssh: The High Squawk Counsel is not meant to be discussed anywhere outside of OPSEC approved channels! :argh:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
No matter what your opinion on the skill changes is I don't think anyone can look at the skilltree and think "yes, this is good". I mean, how do you share builds with your friends? What if a new player asks for tips? Do you send them a giant screenshot of your skills and have them try to replicate it? How do you design your own optimal builds without spending hours trying not to spend xp and cbills unlocking useless skills for that mech. It's just extremely retarded.

Their stated goal is "The primary purpose of the Skill Tree feature is to enable a level of customization for 'Mech capabilities not available under the previous system, with a heavy focus toward 'Mech specialization." Mech specialization in my mind can only mean laserboat, sniper, lrmboat, srmbomber et.c. You waste skill points/effectiveness by mixing weapon types. I haven't looked at what max % you can achieve for range, cooldown et.c. so I guess that a mech without ECM, jumpjets, ams et.c. will be able to put more points into the weapons and durability of the mech, giving them an edge over mechs with more systems.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

lol "new players"

They're balls deep into the end game of milking people already invested in the game before they finally flame out.

edit: seriously, pay attention to the matchmaker. If you start asking people in chat what tier they're in you'll find that you are ROUTINELY mixing tier 1 and tier 4 player pools. This is assuming that you don't end up with some oddball weight imbalance because they couldn't get a proper match and the MM just threw something together to not having people waiting too long. Play groups at all and you'll see a mix of the same 3 dozen or so players match after match.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

There is no incentive for new players other than the training bonus and hasn't been for a long time

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cyrano4747 posted:

lol "new players"

They're balls deep into the end game of milking people already invested in the game before they finally flame out.

edit: seriously, pay attention to the matchmaker. If you start asking people in chat what tier they're in you'll find that you are ROUTINELY mixing tier 1 and tier 4 player pools. This is assuming that you don't end up with some oddball weight imbalance because they couldn't get a proper match and the MM just threw something together to not having people waiting too long. Play groups at all and you'll see a mix of the same 3 dozen or so players match after match.

Off topic, but I've been playing Overwatch recently and it's absolutely infuriating how, despite its approximately sixteen billion players, its 6v6 game size, and me playing Quick Play in the prime time of early evening, it still has the gall to take several minutes to find a match and then doesn't even achieve particularly good balance results either - more than half the matches are still one-sided stomps. Even worse, after a completed match it wastes more minutes of my time trying to replace the players who quit, fails, and then boots me back to the main menu instead of, y'know, just starting another search.

This wouldn't enrage me so much were it not for the fact that MWO with its twenty-five players never takes more than half a minute or so to assemble a 12v12 a match, and the typical match balance isn't noticeably worse either.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Play ranked imo

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I like playing with the same people all the time, really makes the game feel as populated as star wars jedi academy.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Buschmaki posted:

I like playing with the same people all the time, really makes the game feel as populated as star wars jedi academy.

Could you imagine everyone gathering in a circle to watch two spergs bow their Kodiaks before engaging in a duel?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
man I saw some dude posting about practicing zellbrigen so I don't think that's too far fetched

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

man I saw some dude posting about practicing zellbrigen so I don't think that's too far fetched

Man I'm all about Clan Wolf and crushing IS stravags, driving them before me and hearing the lamentations of their mothers as they bring them hot pockets but this game is not a very good venue for Zellbrigen.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Hexenritter posted:

Could you imagine everyone gathering in a circle to watch two spergs bow their Kodiaks before engaging in a duel?

We totally used to do this back when it was easier to sync drop large groups, or we'd convince the enemy team to do it and then backstab them halfway through. A good brawling experience.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Unhappy Meal posted:

we'd convince the enemy team to do it and then backstab them halfway through. A good brawling experience.

https://youtu.be/fWgGd8lyw9o

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I made a prototype of an improved skill tree. It has 8 skill slots and higher tier skills are indicated by rings. The red circle gets bigger as you add more skills. Stats related to the skills could be displayed there.

I think we can agree this is strong improvement on the PTS2 version.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Still relevant :

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Skoll posted:

Still relevant :

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel my financial contribution continues to be rewarded.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Hahaha, I'm sifting through the MWO forums

Someone posted that apparently the dire wolf with full jump jets can now poptart thanks to the jump jet tree.

I want to see this now.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 27, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I actually have the jumpjet Direwolf. I didn't max out the Jumpjet bonuses but they're noticeably more effective. It wouldn't surprise me if you could make a Poptart out of it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Along with the engine changes, it makes me worry that the game will be nothing but Poptarts come patch day.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Artificer posted:

I would like a video of your Phoenix Hawk.

I made a quick video and it's mostly processed of the PHX3S, so here it is. Youtube editing is still trimming the first forty seconds, so there really isn't anything to see there and you can totally skip it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l37b5PGjLX0

The mech is a tank scout, and it tanks through speed and being annoying as gently caress. An atlas eats damage and makes enemy mechs heat up and look at it. The PHX3S functions under the same idea, except instead of getting hit avoids the shots. A good example is when that hunchback, shadowcat, and raven were all staring at me popping up around the corner, they were shooting me and giving me all their attention instead of fighting anyone else on my team, so their mechs were effectively out of the fight and that gave our team a 11v9 situation that they could run away with the game with.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Commoners posted:

I made a quick video and it's mostly processed of the PHX3S, so here it is. Youtube editing is still trimming the first forty seconds, so there really isn't anything to see there and you can totally skip it.

The mech is a tank scout, and it tanks through speed and being annoying as gently caress. An atlas eats damage and makes enemy mechs heat up and look at it. The PHX3S functions under the same idea, except instead of getting hit avoids the shots. A good example is when that hunchback, shadowcat, and raven were all staring at me popping up around the corner, they were shooting me and giving me all their attention instead of fighting anyone else on my team, so their mechs were effectively out of the fight and that gave our team a 11v9 situation that they could run away with the game with.

Yeah okay that's incredible.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
This mech is expensive as hell to buy and setup due to getting 2 XL engines but man is it amazing and hard to get used to.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Artificer posted:

Yeah okay that's incredible.

It's the only mech that can really, truly exploit MASC to its greatest utility, with the shadowcat following up behind it but falling just short due to its low base speed. If it had more hard points I would possibly consider it the best mech in the game, but it is super anemic on weapons so you just sort of have to outlast your opposition while fighting them instead of just hammering them into the ground.

If the MASC wolverine wasn't a piece of poo poo it could sit up there in the good mech throne with the PHX3S, but unfortunately it has nothing good going for it in the slightest.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Commoners posted:

It's the only mech that can really, truly exploit MASC to its greatest utility, with the shadowcat following up behind it but falling just short due to its low base speed. If it had more hard points I would possibly consider it the best mech in the game, but it is super anemic on weapons so you just sort of have to outlast your opposition while fighting them instead of just hammering them into the ground.

If the MASC wolverine wasn't a piece of poo poo it could sit up there in the good mech throne with the PHX3S, but unfortunately it has nothing good going for it in the slightest.

What loadout would you use for the Shadowcat to try and do something similar?

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
So it just occurred to me. Is the MASCd jumpjet-heavy executioner going to be the new assault king after engine decoupling?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Rysithusiku posted:

So it just occurred to me. Is the MASCd jumpjet-heavy executioner going to be the new assault king after engine decoupling?

Big problem with the executioner is that all of its firing points are super low and it can't have both good weapons and the heat sinks to fire them. It always has room to be a good mech, but it has really bad optimization issues that means it's just sort of a disjointed package instead of a good mech that specializes and excels in one role.

It'll be relatively better after decoupling, but for the most part I think it'll probably remain as a niche choice.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
The exe has 3 energy mounts at cockpit level. I fill them with large lasers. Reserve hand mounts for brawly poo poo. Smalls, spls, srms, whatever.
e: also it has 16 hardlocked dhs. If you can't fit enough heatsinks you're doing something wrong.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Commoners posted:

goddamn are LRM boats still stupid as gently caress

like you were the first target they saw which meant you're the only target that exists and they spend half the match slamming missiles into buildings you're behind

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

When they see the paperdoll with orange on it and they hit you once it's like they are obligated to fire only at you ever 'CAUSE WE GOTTA SECURE THAT KILL AAAHHHHH

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

like you were the first target they saw which meant you're the only target that exists and they spend half the match slamming missiles into buildings you're behind

LRM80 here. Press R to make it rain.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Rysithusiku posted:

Probably not. I have been loving around with different setups of my three on the test server and... they all feel kinda miserable. I can't circle stationary targets from about 100m out unless I am using MASC, and then I can't aim. The EXE has a pretty poor torso yaw angle and speed to begin with, and the skill tree feels like it gives a lot less than it used to. MASC is only really helpful for accel/decel and short bursts of top speed which is nice but hardly worth the huge tonnage investment I also did some testing with JJs and that branch, there's very little noticable difference between maxing them out and not.

So in short it still has too little firepower for an assault and the huge amount of tonnage devoted to its dumb engine, MASC, and JJs aren't that useful.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Pattonesque posted:

More like LRM pilots are stupid as gently caress. I have a LRM 60 Mad Dog and I just wade into battle and wait for it, hold til I have a shot.....

gently caress off lights, I'll NARC my own targets.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Commoners posted:

And then you opened that supply cache and a ghost dad was inside, and everyone lived happily ever after.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
I never understood why people hate poptarts so much. It's one of the more fun styles of gameplay. Honestly, the only people that would dislike it are the lovely aim bads.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

johntherussian posted:

I never understood why people hate poptarts so much. It's one of the more fun styles of gameplay. Honestly, the only people that would dislike it are the lovely aim bads.

I think it's one of the least dynamic play styles, and that makes it the most boring. Poke and peek laser vomit at least relies on good positioning that changes significantly depending on where the fight is happening or where teams are going. Poptarting just generally has a few power positions on each map that never really change regardless of circumstances short of "I can't shoot the enemy team from here, better go to the other one."

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's also a style of gameplay that, when dominant, has no real counterplay except to poptart in reverse, which makes the matches really boring and bad. It's still a viable style of gameplay right now, and if you like doing it, there's nothing stopping you- I do quite well every time I take my NVA-A out to play, and if you're more heavily invested in it than I am, the SMN and NTG are even better at it. Any further buffs to this style of gameplay risk pushing it back into the "only viable way to play" status though. While the laservomit meta was boring, at least it did have more counterplay and more usable mechs, and it wasn't as dependent on "did I spawn on the correct side of the map."

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Artificer posted:

What loadout would you use for the Shadowcat to try and do something similar?

The PHX-3S is the only mech in the game that I've found that can do the job that it does. I'm experimenting with the MASC wolverine right now to see if it can act similarly, but so far it's not looking too promising. It may be able to do some other funny poo poo that I'm curious to see, though.

The shadowcat's real strength comes in its ability to poke things to death with impunity, and it relies entirely on good positioning to do that. CLPLs and CERPPCs are the best load outs you can jam on it, but I think that cramming six MGs or ECM on the other side of the mech are equal options that can work with either of those two weapon sets. A lot of people use medium pulses + streak SRMs on it, but I think that the chassis is not strong at all in brawling due to its (relatively) low speeds, bad hitboxes, and weak armor.

Just take the mech for what it is and run with its strengths. It can be fun to make mechs do things that they're not supposed to do (LRM atlas lol), but for the most part there are singular roles with minor modifications that each chassis/variant excels at.

Only a few mechs come to mind that can have vastly different roles with the same chassis. Several awesome variants, for all their flaws, can function either as a horrific follow up brawlers or a really good fire support mech, the AWS-8T is a good example of this where it technically has one of the highest sustained damage output potentials in the game (though it has trouble bringing that firepower to bear due to humongously retarded hard points and geometry) whether you're brawling or using laser vomit builds with it. Blackjacks in general are extremely versatile and most of the variants can have loadouts that all perform well, but have totally different play styles. Timberwolves are probably the the most versatile mech, where you can do nearly anything reasonable with a timber and it'll come out good.

The large majority of mechs have a single clear cut "One True Build" that outperforms all others (with minor variations permitted to player taste), just because that build emphasizes the chassis's specific strengths and minimizes its weaknesses. The shadowcat, imo, falls in this category.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 28, 2017

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

johntherussian posted:

Poptarts are snipers. I think we all know why nobody likes snipers.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

johntherussian posted:

I think the first exodus of goons leaving the game was during the gaussppc cataphract 3d poptart days. so it left a bad taste in peoples mouths. I've done it a bit and its ok i guess.

I prefer poptarting in a griffin with 4 asrm6 much more :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Commoners posted:

Legit impressed about your skill. What do you think about non-masc non-jumpjets mediums, for example the GRF-2N and GRF-3M, will they be better or worse off come the engine decoupling?

• Locked thread