Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It kind of added more weight to his decision to use force with Batman. On top of the pressure to save mum, the talk with the girlfriend of the convict was basically telling him you meet fascism with force, not words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Neither GOTGv2 nor Homecoming can possibly be better than the Spider-Man-Rocket team up concluding in the newspaper strip:
http://imgur.com/a/xtL3S
http://imgur.com/a/z0wRW
http://imgur.com/a/yUpw2

It contains a lot of cars being destroyed, and probably the least dignified portrayal of Ronan The Accuser since the first GOTG.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The best part about that arc is hoW rocket tricks Peter into committing kreeslaughter two thirds of the way through and the narrative doesn't even try to pretend that they aren't hauling Ronans corpse around to use as a multitool, despite Rockets claims to the contrary

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

The MSJ posted:

Neither GOTGv2 nor Homecoming can possibly be better than the Spider-Man-Rocket team up concluding in the newspaper strip:
http://imgur.com/a/xtL3S
http://imgur.com/a/z0wRW
http://imgur.com/a/yUpw2

It contains a lot of cars being destroyed, and probably the least dignified portrayal of Ronan The Accuser since the first GOTG.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Not even James Gunn can get away with a full frontal Rocket in his movie.

And this is not even the best sequence in the arc (but it's up there).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I finally finished reading Watchmen. Should I, uh, watch Watchmen now? Now that I actually have a full understand of the story (at least, the plot details of it, I won't claim to grasp all the nuance) what precisely do people mean when they say the movie "misses the point?"

Also my hot take on the ending is why didn't they just keep it a secret but still vaporize Veidt immediately?

It was a great ending and I can see why the discussion of it monopolizes most Watchmen discussions I've seen. Rorschach really grew on me over the series, too. He was the worst thing ever in the first chapter but by the end, I can almost root for him. Not exactly of course because his views are still terrible. But his character is good and his commitment to his terrible views is laudable and understandable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NikkolasKing posted:

So I finally finished reading Watchmen. Should I, uh, watch Watchmen now? Now that I actually have a full understand of the story (at least, the plot details of it, I won't claim to grasp all the nuance) what precisely do people mean when they say the movie "misses the point?"

Also my hot take on the ending is why didn't they just keep it a secret but still vaporize Veidt immediately?

Manhattan doesn't give a poo poo about Veidt in particular and the others would just lose to him again.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

People that say the movie misses the point read Watchmen for the first time a decade later and think that the heroes purposely look "goofy," and are not, instead wearing slightly more practical and grounded versions of suits that comics at the time had. So when they see that the film does the same to the superhero film outfits of the time, they think it's "trying to look cool" and "doesn't get it." The same goes for stylization of action seqences.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Darko posted:

People that say the movie misses the point read Watchmen for the first time a decade later and think that the heroes purposely look "goofy," and are not, instead wearing slightly more practical and grounded versions of suits that comics at the time had. So when they see that the film does the same to the superhero film outfits of the time, they think it's "trying to look cool" and "doesn't get it." The same goes for stylization of action seqences.

In general they also really wanted the alien conspiracy plot.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Darko posted:

No, the people who say it misses the point are talking about the ending.

In the comic they use a psychic squid that is completely unknown and alien to unite humanity against an outside threat to end war.

In the movie, they use Dr. Manhattan because it is easier to do narratively and the good Doctor is an American, who was allied with the American government, and fought in the American army. They try to really stress that he isn't "really American" anymore, but I doubt that Russia and all the other countries who just got bombed by Doctor Manhattan would see it that way and unite with America.

Not to mention: "Be eternally prepared and united to defend the human species against an alien threat that is coming" is a more compelling reason to unite humanity than "Manhattan bombed many major cities and then left because he thought humanity wasn't special. We need to prove that we are or he might come back."

The completely alien force and impending invasion to unite humanity for hundreds of years makes more sense than using Manhattan.

I was generally okay with the movie ending, but it does lose some of the cohesiveness and crazy punch that the comic ending had.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 27, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In the movie, they use Dr. Manhattan because it is easier to do narratively and the good Doctor is an American, who was allied with the American government, and fought in the American army. They try to really stress that he isn't "really American" anymore, but I doubt that Russia and all the other countries who just got bombed by Doctor Manhattan would see it that way and unite with America.

Not to mention: "Be eternally prepared and united to defend the human species against an alien threat that is coming" is a more compelling reason to unite humanity than "Manhattan bombed many major cities and then left because he thought humanity wasn't special. We need to prove that we are or he might come back."

Some of this is definitely because the movie is already three hours long even without including a subplot about the squid. But I think it's also that, perhaps with the benefit of hindsight, the movie is willing to place more of the blame for the Cold War on the United States and portray it as the primary party that needs to be put in check.

Also, I don't think the world generally knew that Manhattan was becoming disconnected from humanity to the degree that he was, that he'd need to be convinced humanity was special or whatever. He is the alien threat that may be coming, that they need to prepare for.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No, the people who say it misses the point are talking about the ending.

In the comic they use a psychic squid that is completely unknown and alien to unite humanity against an outside threat to end war.

The completely alien force and impending invasion to unite humanity for hundreds of years makes more sense than using Manhattan.

I was generally okay with the movie ending, but it does lose some of the cohesiveness and crazy punch that the comic ending had.

I see far more people that point it at the aesthetics and Snyder trying to be "cool" than those that complain about the squid. The squid complaints I heard when the movie first came out, as its aged and people have accepted/defended the Manhattan change but want to focus on Snyder being dumb instead.

And the world didn't know Manhattan left because he found humanity boring; they thought he basically became a self appointed god that judged humanity as unworthy and killed a bunch of people all over the world, meaning all nations would have to band together to work against this now, outside, source.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just wanted to see the giant squid on screen, it would have looked amazing. :colbert:

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The movie's okay, but the love scene is pretty silly. It's easy to forgive Snyder though since he's only made love six times in his life.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Sex is primarily a cardio exercise.

Cardio is where the Gains Goblins hide.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Came across this today, thought some people in here might appreciate it

https://vimeo.com/189876347#_=_

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

MonsieurChoc posted:

I just wanted to see the giant squid on screen, it would have looked amazing. :colbert:

Man of Steel World Engine fight came pretty close.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

scuba school sucks posted:

Man of Steel World Engine fight came pretty close.

"Ya know, pound for pound..."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

porfiria posted:

The movie's okay, but the love scene is pretty silly. It's easy to forgive Snyder though since he's only made love six times in his life.

Hahahaha. Snyder's sex scenes remind of the way Stephen King writes sex scenes in his book.

"His penis entered her and they both exploded into orgasm on the very first thrust..." lol okay Steve, it's nice your wife still tells you that.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

McCloud posted:

Very nice.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Steve Yun posted:

"Ya know, pound for pound..."

Okay now I can only see the giant crab guy from Moana

Edit:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Superman, hit its weak spot for massive damage!

Also, the latest rumor is that Robert Zemeckis will direct The Flash.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zemeckis? Isn't he a bit old?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
When Barry Allen hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious poo poo.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
He kinda makes sense for a superhero movie. The guy loves his special effects.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

parallelodad posted:

Zemeckis? Isn't he a bit old?

He still directs. He just released that WW2 Brad Pitt movie earlier this year.

If he indeed directs The Flash, the poster would 100% say "From the maker of Back To The Future and Mars Needs Moms Who Framed Roger Rabbit."

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

What amounts to the action scenes in Flight and The Walk were pretty great.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The trail of flames left behind the DeLorean are such an iconic special effect (even if it might have been done by cartoons first). Is BttF also one of the early links between arcing electricity and time travel? Terminator does it too but that came after.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lobok posted:

The trail of flames left behind the DeLorean are such an iconic special effect (even if it might have been done by cartoons first). Is BttF also one of the early links between arcing electricity and time travel? Terminator does it too but that came after.

Terminator came out before BTTF though?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

McCloud posted:

:swoon: Thank you, colonel.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

New WW TV Spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUa0OYG2NVk

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Burkion posted:

Terminator came out before BTTF though?

Huh. Obviously BttF came out in 1985 but Terminator always seemed like a later 80s movie to me. Seven years between T1 and T2, dang.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
T1 doesn't really touch on the mechanics of time travel so that's probably why BttF is more memorable. T1 is pretty much "You gotta be nude".

Though "Flux Capacitor" isn't much better.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The time travel in Terminator is literally just a plot device to put a robot, a future man, and a waitress on a collision course. You could replace the references to time travel and the future with references to space and other planets and not much changes.

Back To The Future winds the time travel into the plot itself, pretty deeply at that.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Cameo posted:

The time travel in Terminator is literally just a plot device to put a robot, a future man, and a waitress on a collision course. You could replace the references to time travel and the future with references to space and other planets and not much changes.

Back To The Future winds the time travel into the plot itself, pretty deeply at that.

How do you get the future man without the time travel?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
How can they pork to create the savior of humanity if there is no future Wher humanity needs saving?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

WeAreTheRomans posted:

How do you get the future man without the time travel?

If you replaced the references to time travel and the future with references to space and other planets there would not be a future man, but a space man.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Schwarzwald posted:

If you replaced the references to time travel and the future with references to space and other planets there would not be a future man, but a space man.

A space man with a future photo of a waitress

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
No, it'd be a space photo of a waitress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've travelled across an ocean of stars to gently caress one of your minimum wage coffee pourers.

• Locked thread