Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
*watches Goto-Suzuki*

well i guess they learned nothing from Shibata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Goto-Suzuki match had nothing that seemed awful except that dumb chair shot. Just seemed snug and all the stiff stuff was in the neck area. But drat that chair shot was super dumb.

I think the best match of the remaining two shows is gonna be Takahashi/Riccochet and also if Okada can actually get 4 stars out of Fale. Although Fale seems like a much better challenger post Jinder

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

My favorite part was when Jado and Gedo drove off Despy earlier during the jr. tag match but didn't give a poo poo about Hirooki Goto

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Very glad Minoru Suzuki won as I'd have to think this increases his chances of being booked for Long Beach.

Tomorrow's the "B show" of the Dontaku tour but it honestly looks better to me than the main Dontaku show.

NJPW "WRESTLING TOYONOKUNI 2017",
April 29th 2017 at 4:00 AM EDT/9:00 BST
Beppu Baycon Plaza

1. Jushin Thunder Liger, Hirai Kawato & Tomoyuki Oka vs. Tiger Mask, Katsuya Kitamura & Shota Umino
2. Yoshinobu Kanemaru, Taichi & El Desperado vs. Rocky Romero, Beretta & Jado
3. SANADA & BUSHI vs. Ryusuke Taguchi & Yoshitatsu
4. Hiroyoshi Tanzan, Satoshi Kojima & David Finlay vs. Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa & Yujiro Takahashi
5. Minoru Suzki, Takashi Iizuka & TAKA Michinoku vs. Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI & Will Ospreay
6. Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano vs. Bad Luck Fale, Kenny Omega & Chase Owens
7. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Hiromu Takahashi (c) vs. Ricochet
8. Special Singles Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. "King of Darkness" EVIL
9. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Juice Robinson

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Why would they do an unprotected chairshot to the head after one of their top guys is possibly gone forever for bleeding inside his skull?

god you'd think poo poo would change literally immediately following that, what the gently caress

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
weird that new japan doesnt care about safety

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If they took precautions, their fans would find them boring.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
cool

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don't know, there's a difference between something like Hiromu doing crazy poo poo that can't really be replicated in a safe way and stuff like headbutts and chair shots that can easily be done in a safe way. Would people really have liked Shibata/Okada less if he did a worked headbutt or Suzuki/Goto less if Desperado hit Goto in the back instead of the head?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

That's a stupid hot take there bud.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Baron Corbyn posted:

I don't know, there's a difference between something like Hiromu doing crazy poo poo that can't really be replicated in a safe way and stuff like headbutts and chair shots that can easily be done in a safe way. Would people really have liked Shibata/Okada less if he did a worked headbutt or Suzuki/Goto less if Desperado hit Goto in the back instead of the head?
My perception w/r/t chairshots has definitely been that back hits don't pop the audience like headshots do. As to whether the matches would be just as good with less extreme risk, probably. But it would probably be a mistake to assume that Shibata was especially manic about these things. If you leave it up to wrestlers they'll do dumb poo poo to go the extra mile. It's what wrestlers have always done. The ones that fans admire, anyway. It's ironic that WWE manages to be only just less ruinous to their workers despite relatively strict rules.

sleepwalkers posted:

That's a stupid hot take there bud.
NJPW's staying the course since Shibata's hospitalization is a tacit admission that management feels exactly this way. Endurance in the face of spectacular risk is what sets strong style apart and it has not yet reached a point where the frequency of severe injuries produces a will to change. It may never.

My money's on people forgetting how frightening all of this is by the next big PPV.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 28, 2017

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Capsaicin posted:

*watches Goto-Suzuki*

well i guess they learned nothing from Shibata

I came here to post this exact same thing.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Lmao if you think that stiff shots to the head is essential you are an idiot

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

NJPW's staying the course since Shibata's hospitalization is a tacit admission that management feels exactly this way. Endurance in the face of spectacular risk is what sets strong style apart and it has not yet reached a point where the frequency of severe injuries produces a will to change. It may never.

Except that's not at all how you phrased what you said. And it's stupid whether it comes from management or forums poster Basic Chunnel.

e: That hot take also ignores that strong style doesn't inherently mean "life-threatening blunt force to the head." JBL loving wrecking Eddie's face with a chair wasn't strong style wrestling, it was stupid.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 28, 2017

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Thauros posted:

Very glad Minoru Suzuki won as I'd have to think this increases his chances of being booked for Long Beach.

Tomorrow's the "B show" of the Dontaku tour but it honestly looks better to me than the main Dontaku show.

NJPW "WRESTLING TOYONOKUNI 2017",
April 29th 2017 at 4:00 AM EDT/9:00 BST
Beppu Baycon Plaza

1. Jushin Thunder Liger, Hirai Kawato & Tomoyuki Oka vs. Tiger Mask, Katsuya Kitamura & Shota Umino
2. Yoshinobu Kanemaru, Taichi & El Desperado vs. Rocky Romero, Beretta & Jado
3. SANADA & BUSHI vs. Ryusuke Taguchi & Yoshitatsu
4. Hiroyoshi Tanzan, Satoshi Kojima & David Finlay vs. Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa & Yujiro Takahashi
5. Minoru Suzki, Takashi Iizuka & TAKA Michinoku vs. Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI & Will Ospreay
6. Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano vs. Bad Luck Fale, Kenny Omega & Chase Owens
7. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Hiromu Takahashi (c) vs. Ricochet
8. Special Singles Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. "King of Darkness" EVIL
9. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Juice Robinson

Minor change to this card. Match 2 is Kanemaru and Desperado vs. RPG Vice and then Match 5 is Suzuki, TAKA, and Taichi vs. Goto, Yoshi-Hashi & Ospreay. Iizuka is injured.

Dontaku's match is Goto, Yoshi-Hashi, Jado, Yano, Rocky, Beretta vs. Suzuki, Taichi, Desperado, TAKA, Kanemaru

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Japanese puros (meaning warrior) are the elite alpha males and will not be stopped by "brain bruises."

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Best of Super Jrs 2017 poster shows Taguchi, Tiger Mask 4, Liger, Kushida, Hiromu, Ospreay, Bushi, Ricochet, and Dragon Lee on it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

marks itt

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

29th should be better at Payback and the only match that could have dumb stuff is the Takahashi one if Hiromu decides to be crazy

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I really don't want Juice to beat Naito, but I would be fine with Takahashi losing (even though I loving love him).

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/857972221054038016

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Honma underwent surgery on March 27th and he is now able to walk on his own but said that his right hand still has difficulty moving. Honma is adamant on returning to the ring and said he needs to have a goal to work towards. He would like to return to the ring in fall or the World Tag League at the latest. He also added that he has lost 11 kilograms (24 pounds) during his time in the hospital.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

So apparently Tama Tonga was injured on the last show according to the Observer daily update. Could be minor or could be a torn bicep which he may work through....

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Hace posted:

Lmao if you think that stiff shots to the head is essential you are an idiot

im sorry but im all about those unprotected hairshots hace. heroes are better when they are dead anyway.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Another Person posted:

im sorry but im all about those unprotected hairshots hace. heroes are better when they are dead anyway.

i got an unprotected hairshot for ya

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ricochet/hiromu starting, time to log in if you haven't yet

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Match of the Year is about to start.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

These suplexes are really coool. Shitabta come back please baby. pleatybl golbll. ylYB?? Y

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

shiksa posted:

i got an unprotected hairshot for ya

fuckin sick as hell how do they let children watch this???

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ricochet should never lose

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh drat, I thought I had timed it for the back half of the show and it looks like I missed everything but the main event. How long has this match been going?

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
At least the chair was padded with a loosened seat... *shrug* i think he'll live. I'm more upset with the fact that that chair shot (which should be RARE, if used at all) didn't even pop that crowd. It was a waste.

Demtor fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 29, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Demtor posted:

At least the chair was padded with a loosened seat... *shrug* i think he'll live. I'm more upset with the fact that that chair shot (which should be RARE, if used at all) didn't even pop that crowd. It was a waste.

that and japanese chairs are made out of tin foil

japanese chairs and tables are the inverse of the american ones

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

highlight of the show

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

ricochet should never lose

I think I'm going to vote him most underrated next year.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Thought Juice and Naito was good, and Juice is coming along nicely as someone who will be a legit great worker one day. I'm rooting for him.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Baron Corbyn posted:

highlight of the show

I'm the dad behind them desperately trying to give my child away

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
It's there a place that translates promos? I would like to know what Naoto said at the end

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

It's there a place that translates promos? I would like to know what Naoto said at the end
That Enuhito guy on Twitter does that I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

sigmachiev posted:

Thought Juice and Naito was good, and Juice is coming along nicely as someone who will be a legit great worker one day. I'm rooting for him.

That is pretty cool to see. I wish I liked his finish though, something about that particular version of the unprettier just doesn't do it for me.

• Locked thread