Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I'm annoyed by how much I actually like the design/color scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
what

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Ok.

Why not.

Sure.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was just thinking I needed a replacement for my New 3DS XL too...

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I can't wait to buy a 3DS for the fourth time.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It looks really cool

Why does it look cool

Do I really need another 3DS in my life

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Policenaut posted:

I'm so confused.

Holy gently caress so this is as good as a new 3ds but with a smaller profile and without the 3d

homeless snail posted:

So this is the final form of the DS

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Guess I better practice screwing for when I transfer all my poo poo from my old monster hunter 4 3ds to this new beauty

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Dr Cheeto posted:

It looks really cool

Why does it look cool

Do I really need another 3DS in my life

I can say with absolute certainty that you don't need another 3DS.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

where are the exterior cameras?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sam Faust posted:

I'm annoyed by how much I actually like the design/color scheme.

Japan's getting two versions on July 13, the one shown in the video and also this one:

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I want it. It's cheap. and gently caress 3d

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Calaveron posted:

Guess I better practice screwing for when I transfer all my poo poo from my old monster hunter 4 3ds to this new beauty

For a split second I thought maybe it'd be cool up to upgrade to this but the thought of wrenching the backplate off my MH4U 3DS to get that memory card into the new one puts me off.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

it is extremely loving cool looking

i will buy it and love it

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

i love the look but the exposed hinge will be a major failure point

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Policenaut posted:

For a split second I thought maybe it'd be cool up to upgrade to this but the thought of wrenching the backplate off my MH4U 3DS to get that memory card into the new one puts me off.

How much money could we get for reselling our limited editions Monster Hunter 4U new 3DS XL

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It looks cool but I already own a New 3DS so I cannot fathom buying this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Stereoscopic 3D is rad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Stereoscopic 3D is rad.
Its. Can't wait for the Switch 3D

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Calaveron posted:

How much money could we get for reselling our limited editions Monster Hunter 4U new 3DS XL

I will never sell mine, friend.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

homeless snail posted:

Its. Can't wait for the Switch 3D

Switch Cardboard for holiday 2017, believe it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'd buy it if it was a big ugly monstrosity that kept the candy bar design of the old 2DS. I still want it though for reasons I can't articulate. Are the screens bigger than N3DSXL ones?

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 28, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Policenaut posted:

I will never sell mine, friend.

What if there's a new 2DS XL Monster Hunter uh, hold on lemme check a wiki, Double Cross and the only way to get it is to trade in your 4U

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Stereoscopic 3D is rad.

What games do people feel have utilized the 3D the best? I'm letting "best" be as broadly defined as people want it to be (clever use for gameplay mechanics, visually interesting, etc).

My vote would go to Kirby Triple Deluxe, that was seriously some of the coolest and consistently engaging use of 3D I've seen in any 3DS game I've played.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Xenomrph posted:

What games do people feel have utilized the 3D the best? I'm letting "best" be as broadly defined as people want it to be (clever use for gameplay mechanics, visually interesting, etc).

My vote would go to Kirby Triple Deluxe, that was seriously some of the coolest and consistently engaging use of 3D I've seen in any 3DS game I've played.

Super Mario 3D Land personally.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

The launch Mario game had a few platforms that were only revealed with 3D mode.

Then Senran Kagura wouldn't exist if not for the 3D feature.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I saw the post about the New 2DS XL on Reddit and thought it was a joke. Watched the YouTube video and uh

This might just be the nicest looking version of the *DS console Nintendo has released, and the trigger buttons and c-stick actually look usable now?

Goddamn it Nintendo you've already claimed like all of my yearly videogames budget with the Switch, why do you want even more from me

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Xenomrph posted:

A lot of the impact comes from games that also maintain high framerates in 3D - Triple Deluxe is one such game, Zelda Link Between Worlds is another.

Shovel Knight and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse are both great examples of stereoscopic pixel games, and the Sega 3D Classics are fantastic conversions of old games to stereoscopic 3D.

They're very basic games but I find Pushmo/Crashmo/Stretchmo to be much easier to play with 3D turned on.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I thought KI:Uprising worked really well with the 3D on personally.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Xenomrph posted:

3D Land, LBW and the Kirby games did it best. I do still like it and have never turned it off since getting a New except for games that tank the framerate with it on.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goddamn it Nintendo is releasing the New 2DS XL on my birthday weekend.

You'd think, after having owned four versions of the 3DS, I'd be done...

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
what

why

why are you guys buying this?? just to save $50? You're not really saving money if you're buying a console you had no plans of getting as of this morning though...

what does it even do that other models don't, i'm so confused right now (doubly so at how excited some of you who already own a 3ds seem to be)

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Policenaut posted:

I'm so confused.

Iwata came to the general managers in a dream after they had a meeting over whether or not they should make one last 3DS revision.

He told them he was wrong, Avatar sucked and 3D* ended up hurting things more than they helped things. "Make a nice looking 2DS instead."

*Stereoscopic 3D that is, not playing games in a 3D plane. Those are still rad.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'm just baffled at this. If it was released closer to the original 2DS, I would understand. But now really doesn't seem like the best time to spend resources on producing those.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
well whatever I guess, at least it will probably extend the lifespan of the system and keep devs pumping content out, which is never a bad thing for a system

Still lol @ this because I'm ready to move over to the switch come the holidays, the resolution on these things really really is piss poor (and the XL screen magnifies the outdated harware even more imo)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Switch Cardboard for holiday 2017, believe it

I'm sure the patent application for that is just usual scattershot development just-in-case work, but given the decent quality out of Samsung Gear VR I'd believe it if Nintendo actually tried for a Switch-driven VR headset.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'm just baffled at this. If it was released closer to the original 2DS, I would understand. But now really doesn't seem like the best time to spend resources on producing those.

Best guess is "the 2DS is dead, long live the new2DS."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
On one hand I never got a 3DS, don't care about 3D, and $150 is about as much as I'd pay for one. On the other hand, that resolution.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Policenaut posted:

I'm so confused.

Remember the GBA Micro? It's like that, but for 3DS

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Is the screen bigger than the New 3DS XL?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

greententacle posted:

Remember the GBA Micro? It's like that, but for 3DS

The GBA Micro owned. It had a "retina screen" before that was a thing.

Olivil posted:

Is the screen bigger than the New 3DS XL?????

I thought so too but they're exactly the same according to this: http://www.nintendo.com/2ds/features/compare/

It's slightly thinner, weighs less and it comes with a charger compared to the N3DSXL.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 28, 2017