Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Davzz posted:

Zyuranger (a.k.a the original version of the first Power Rangers) is going to be in X-Omega.
Odd that they would choose this one, I didn't know it was a particularly meaningful sentai show in Japan (out of the 45 or something there are), just in the West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
How does SRW usually do Sentai teams? One Super Robot with 5 pilots? 5 individual units that combine? Something like the Getter mode change forms?

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
How dare you try and tempt me to play X-Omega, Japan! :argh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zore posted:

How does SRW usually do Sentai teams? One Super Robot with 5 pilots? 5 individual units that combine? Something like the Getter mode change forms?
What do you mean "usually"? Has it ever happened before?

I mean, I assume mechanically it would be handled similarly to Combattler V or whatever.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Samurai Sanders posted:

What do you mean "usually"? Has it ever happened before?

I mean, I assume mechanically it would be handled similarly to Combattler V or whatever.

I have no idea, I've only ever played V and just sorta assumed they'd done a Sentai show in one of the previous games :shrug:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zore posted:

I have no idea, I've only ever played V and just sorta assumed they'd done a Sentai show in one of the previous games :shrug:
There have been SRW-like games in the past based on tokusatsu heroes but not so much sentais I think.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Odd that they would choose this one, I didn't know it was a particularly meaningful sentai show in Japan (out of the 45 or something there are), just in the West.
They actually namedropped the Megazord during the stream reveal if I'm not wrong, which I suspect means they're probably intentionally trying to grab some "general Asia region" interest rather than Japan.

Zore posted:

They never did. Most of the crossover games (not SRW) use Kamen Rider and Ultramen as their Tokusatsu representatives.

The one time they actually used Super Sentai was in Super Tokusatsu Taisen 2001. Can't really use that as any basis of comparison though, because it was the very first Himitsu Sentai Goranger, which did not have a combiner robot but just regular vehicles instead. That game was a bomb so the line was never continued though

But in theory, if this was a "normal" SRW game and not Mobage, it'll probably be how Combattler / Voltes / Golion works - 1 unit with 5 pilots. They used to make the component units playable by letting you split the main robot apart in battle, but nobody really ever used that feature so now that they're tight on animation money, it's usually cut from games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Zyuranger has seen a lot more via cameos recently at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Power Rangers film also is getting a Japanese release and is based off Zyuranger so I suspect that is why

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
And to coincide with that a big-rear end Soul of Chogokin Megazord is coming out this month so its Power Rangers/Zyuranger all over the place.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Samurai Sanders posted:

While it's not quite as important as in the West, it's still pretty popular and important in Japan, after all it was the first Sentai with a Sixth member, the first with a Dinosaur theme, and was more or less the series where they started making the main mecha a lot more unique in design from each other(a lot of the older ones are pretty hard to distinguish from each other), as well as having the mecha actually be important to the show's story and not just exist to show up once an episode to blow up the monster

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Just beat stage 49, and its on to the true end route. I do like that the last few stages have been throwing 1000 TacP Haros in the factory. It means I'll probably carry over like 2 prana converters for maximum gains and like 3 Haros.

Pretty sure I've got like 8 Haros at this point. Send help, stop Artrun from turning the Yamato into Lacus's ball pit away from home.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ashsaber posted:

Just beat stage 49, and its on to the true end route. I do like that the last few stages have been throwing 1000 TacP Haros in the factory. It means I'll probably carry over like 2 prana converters for maximum gains and like 3 Haros.

Pretty sure I've got like 8 Haros at this point. Send help, stop Artrun from turning the Yamato into Lacus's ball pit away from home.

More like the ハロー砲 amirite.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

More like the ハロー砲 amirite.

Boo! :mad:

vvv Edit: That's precisely the first thing that came to mind. I might be permanently scarred...

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 26, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Why do you think it's called the Hi Mega Cannon??

I'll see myself out.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Did you know that their was a line of automatic air freshener things shaped like Haros called "Haromatherapy"? Haro puns are outrageous and real.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, that was Chitose's ending done. A very nice way of wrapping up.

I managed to take out the final bosses all in one turn, mostly by making judicious use of the Wave Motion Cannon. A few MAP attacks softened up around 6 or 7 of them enough that Frontal was able to wipe them out, triggering plot, at which point it was the Yamato doing nearly double their health in damage each attack. I think the final kill count ended up with Kouji, Ange and Chitose each getting one, Frontal getting 6, and Okita getting literally everyone else.

Now, on to Souji's story, and the route splits I didn't take.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr-W5LDUg18

Gundam's back in the west.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"strikers"!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Well hey Policenaut, they didn't wait until Japanese release day to announce it. Our curse is broken, and we are no longer forced to buy Asian discs to bring the Gundams westwards.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Midjack posted:

Well hey Policenaut, they didn't wait until Japanese release day to announce it. Our curse is broken, and we are no longer forced to buy Asian discs to bring the Gundams westwards.

I was just thinking that I had to get around to pre-ordering GV and I wake up to find that they really did it.

I'm so proud of you guys, Bandai Namco.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
A thought: one thing I think I missed in V was Super enemies (goofy monsters and stuff) feeling like they were part of the setting. In Z1, the Oni were a serious army and I think nearly took over Japan, while Gravion and Daitarn and kind of Aquarion were tied into the Federation stuff. In V Might Gaine is its own self-contained thing, as is Mazinger, and Getter, and even Cross Ange took place on its own little island. There were some odd nods to papering over the fact that Cross Ange's weird setting politics didn't play well with the part where they were part of an otherwise normal Earth.

Thinking about it, what it really feels like is that in Z the lines between the big cosmic plot and the setting politics were blurred since the big plot was The Edel manipulating the Federation and ZAFT almost to the end of the game. Even in Z3.1, a huge amount of the game's conflict's lifetime was Char attacking the apocalypse in a way that was at odds with Z-BLUE. In retrospect I feel like a lot of V was just bluntly fighting enemies of the world (occasionally winning some of them over), so what happens on Earth was really secondary, even for a game about sailing into deep space.

V certainly had good character work and was a good and enjoyable SRW, but you guys, I miss Z. :(

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really just want the next game to not involve parallel Earths. The only alternate Earth I will accept is the Earth of Byston Well.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ethiser posted:

I really just want the next game to not involve parallel Earths. The only alternate Earth I will accept is the Earth of Byston Well.
The main reason for that was the Cross Ange plotline being center stage, right? If it isn't in the future maybe it won't be like that.

Yeah, I also could do with a main line SRW not involving parallel worlds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

The main reason for that was the Cross Ange plotline being center stage, right? If it isn't in the future maybe it won't be like that.

Yeah, I also could do with a main line SRW not involving parallel worlds.

I'd say it is Yamato, not Cross Ange, that caused it. Yamato basically requires a complete shitpile of an Earth.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I'd say it is Yamato, not Cross Ange, that caused it. Yamato basically requires a complete shitpile of an Earth.
I guess that's a practical consideration, but (and I didn't see Ange) doesn't the plot require that there be another world for Embryo to have hosed with and the dragons to have come from? That's about all I can remember from the colossal infodump around stage 30.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess that's a practical consideration, but (and I didn't see Ange) doesn't the plot require that there be another world for Embryo to have hosed with and the dragons to have come from? That's about all I can remember from the colossal infodump around stage 30.

It could still work with a single world setup, just have it be a hidden continent sealed off by *insert Super Robot magic here* for X years.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

As long as they were doing two worlds though making the second one EVA and separating them both from Yamato was a decent move. It seems like they learned from Z where you had Gurren-Lagann, Aquarion, MacF, EVA, and Big O all from their own weird dimensionally-isolated islands - literally jammed into the setting (with Big O, at least, that was a plot point). V may have had three Earths but they were all three relatively clean, self-consistent Earths.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 3, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caphi posted:

As long as they were doing two worlds though making the second one EVA and separating them both from Yamato was a decent move. It seems like they learned from Z where you had Gurren-Lagann, Aquarion, MacF, and Big O all from their own weird dimensionally-isolated islands - literally jammed into the setting (with Big O, at least, that was a plot point). V may have had three Earths but they were all three relatively clean, self-consistent Earths.
Yeah, it's a massive improvement from how they handled it in Z.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I thought the point of Z was that most of the shows had been on their own isolated worlds and the plot merged them all together.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ethiser posted:

I thought the point of Z was that most of the shows had been on their own isolated worlds and the plot merged them all together.

Kinda but in Z1 they had settled into one nice integrated setting that just sort of ran itself with a minimum of Convenient Plot Bullshit during the game. The main standout in terms of weird crossover fuckery is Big O, and there was an actual point to that which tied in with Z's two major plot arcs (the Orguss/Eureka Seven ending and the Turn A/Aquarion/King Gainer setting mashup).

In Z2 you start getting stuff like two Japans (because they couldn't figure out how to write Mazinger and Getter to even be adjacent to Code Geass), all the VOTOMs people futzing around in Area 11, Gurren-Lagann and Macross Frontier falling into the game ten chapters in, and all the main units of Z1 wandering into the plot Just Because. It gets worse in Z3 where Aquarion EVOL and Eva also spring out of nowhere, the plot does increasingly absurd backflips to justify half the cast being around, there is an entire second Earth that exists (as far as I can remember) solely for the sake of Gargantia, and one of the villains makes a long speech explaining that she's responsible for basically every time someone "randomly" fell out of a wormhole and went "doesn't this seem a little too... convenient to you?"

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
For those of you following it, here's the PV for the last in the Fantasy Maiden Wars series.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm31145910

Lots of good SRW references in there for people who care to look for them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Golden Battler posted:

For those of you following it, here's the PV for the last in the Fantasy Maiden Wars series.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm31145910

Lots of good SRW references in there for people who care to look for them.
Yessss, my favorite SRW-like and also my favorite Touhou fan game returns!

Nowdays a few Touhou fan games are getting PS4 (or at least Vita) releases, even some with low-res graphics. Maybe this someday...?

edit: I hope Flan can use that super starbow break she used during that one special cut-in in the last game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 3, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm restarting a game of V on my NA account to get the Platinum (silly, I know) and I really want to see Big O and Might Gaine in the same game some day.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Beck would fit in so well with the DG Alliance. He loves gold stuff! And is dangerous!

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
The AIs from Mightgaine fight over Nine and R. Dorothy, who also at the start see each other as rivals, but in the end, end up together. This is my fanfiction.

Also "you are a louse, Embryo."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ZuljinRaynor posted:

The AIs from Mightgaine fight over Nine and R. Dorothy, who also at the start see each other as rivals, but in the end, end up together. This is my fanfiction.

For that, you need a V2 to keep Nine around.

I'm ok with that idea.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ZuljinRaynor posted:

I just beat the crap out of him, that was extremely satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Nages posted:

Hello friends you might know that the best touhou fangame, Fantasy Maiden Wars 4, was released yesterday at reitaisai and boy do I have something great for you regarding that.

After alot of blood, sweat and tears we have finally finished the complete and total translation patch for Fantasy Maiden Wars 3, just in time.

If you find any problems in it we will cry but also do our best to fix them just pm me or make a post or whatever.

• Locked thread