Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

The best part is that a cornerstone of CIGs defense is that Chris is taking his time and only releasing things once they are perfect.

I don't know how they can continue to say that with a straight face, but I guess the alternative is admitting that Chris releases anything he can if it means "meeting" a deadline. Of course what's released his 4% of the features supposed to be included, but hey, the version number incremented to a new confusing value.

Not to mention, how much longer are they going to be able to depend on this loop:

- Promise X
- Fail to deliver X
- Release patch without X
- Claim X was moved to next patch
- Repeat ad infinitum

I'm also wondering how much longer they're going to be able to claim their fake scam video game is real with the smoke and mirrors releases. Derek is right about the "planet" stuff coming: it's a single flat Star Marine level on a featureless "moon" with a few rocks.

It's just a level, and it loads in. It's not really on a "planet", it doesn't exist in the Star Citizen universe proper (meaning you can't fly down to a planet, hover low and watch the Commando's t-posing in real time) because to this day, there's no such thing as planets, or even ships. Just ship-skinned NPC characters noclipping through space and exploding near some broken, horribly-modeled "space stations" in a single system that has no stars or planets - just pics of them on a generic space backdrop they stole off GIS.

I'm dying to know how many more millions of dollars this new Star Marine level will bring in, since it will "prove" planetary tech is moving along, it just needs a new buzzword to refactor the pipelines and they can just copy/paste out the procedural generation with that hand-crafted touch that makes all the NPCs live their own lives in a totally real universe all in real time with all the PVP or non-PVP (depending on player preference) that you can handle.

How is this loving scam still running in almost-May of 2017 with nothing to show for years of this poo poo???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Not to mention, how much longer are they going to be able to depend on this loop:

- Promise X
- Fail to deliver X
- Release patch without X
- Claim X was moved to next patch
- Repeat ad infinitum

I'm also wondering how much longer they're going to be able to claim their fake scam video game is real with the smoke and mirrors releases. Derek is right about the "planet" stuff coming: it's a single flat Star Marine level on a featureless "moon" with a few rocks.

It's just a level, and it loads in. It's not really on a "planet", it doesn't exist in the Star Citizen universe proper (meaning you can't fly down to a planet, hover low and watch the Commando's t-posing in real time) because to this day, there's no such thing as planets, or even ships. Just ship-skinned NPC characters noclipping through space and exploding near some broken, horribly-modeled "space stations" in a single system that has no stars or planets - just pics of them on a generic space backdrop they stole off GIS.

I'm dying to know how many more millions of dollars this new Star Marine level will bring in, since it will "prove" planetary tech is moving along, it just needs a new buzzword to refactor the pipelines and they can just copy/paste out the procedural generation with that hand-crafted touch that makes all the NPCs live their own lives in a totally real universe all in real time with all the PVP or non-PVP (depending on player preference) that you can handle.

How is this loving scam still running in almost-May of 2017 with nothing to show for years of this poo poo???

You've got people literally writing about the company like it's some kind of trophy girl they wish would look at them.

CIG doesn't need to show them anything more than "buy this!" for them to froth at the mouth and pull out their wallets.

They can probably pull off another two years if they can get literally anything out that looks like it says 3.0, even with none of the features.

Five if they start cutting staff soon and downsizing. It'll be a while I bet!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

dereks blogs are just immense elaborations of this thread for the most part

Clearly you haven't actually read them. Nice try.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Titanic posted:

They can probably pull off another two years if they can get literally anything out that looks like it says 3.0, even with none of the features.
That reminds me... Hey guys remember when the big argument was whether 3.0 would be out for Christmas?

LOL.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Oh, also because I want to get in on these predictions, a long time ago I predicted that we'd see a resurgence of FPS type gameplay and more Star Marine stuff; totally disconnected from the game proper since it'd be levels.

I made this prediction because Star Citizen is hard; and making an FPS game with CryEngine is not so hard. They can probably pull off a pretty decent one, too. There's tons of tutorials out there.

The real key to this shift will be getting people to buy into an FPS game instead of the promised space ship game. Best way to do this is by selling land based stuff.

Expect to see (for sale):
- More personal weapons
- More armors
- More clothes
- More land vehicles (don't forget the promo shot with the not-Mako 6 wheeled rover)
- Housing on planets
- Stores on planets
- Apartments on planets

Also there will be no big cities full of things to do. It will be crappy outposts and tents as far as you can walk with Mass Effect-like buildings.

Big cities will be their own levels.

I see Star Citizen coming together as science fiction FPS #75433456 with nothing new except your guys helmet with a my little pony icon cost you $16 real dollars, and your jacket costed you $10 real dollars, etc.

The space part will be a very tacked on, half baked mini game that will allow you to go from level to level. A very expensive space mini game though.

Also because CIG loves its player base, and wants to make a real game, I don't think they will ever allow players to purchase any ship for in game currency. Within the next two years we will see the starter ships get to be purchased for in game money, probably only up to the Freelancer. They won't release the stranglehold on their customers wallets until they can squeeze no more, and I can guess they'll go out of business before they release everything to the in game market.

Enjoy! :)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

tooterfish posted:

That reminds me... Hey guys remember when the big argument was whether 3.0 would be out for Christmas?

LOL.

That's another weird thing about that. CIG has the strategic timing part of this down pat.

Since nothing of consequence will be in the "3.0" patch, they can actually release it whenever they want. But it can't be too soon, or its quick release viewed alongside it's complete poo poo nature and total omission of all promises is too obvious. If they wait too long, backer anger boils too high. But if you release it and juuusstt the right time, it can still have loving nothing in it, and all actual features "pushed back", but the backers will piss over themselves and throw more money into Chris' furnace.

It's masterful. It's one of the most open-faced scams in the world, right next to Scientology and Amway.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Titanic posted:

Oh, also because I want to get in on these predictions, a long time ago I predicted that we'd see a resurgence of FPS type gameplay and more Star Marine stuff; totally disconnected from the game proper since it'd be levels.

I made this prediction because Star Citizen is hard; and making an FPS game with CryEngine is not so hard. They can probably pull off a pretty decent one, too. There's tons of tutorials out there.

The real key to this shift will be getting people to buy into an FPS game instead of the promised space ship game. Best way to do this is by selling land based stuff.

- More personal weapons
- More armors
- More clothes
- More land vehicles (don't forget the promo shot with the not-Mako 6 wheeled rover)
- Housing on planets
- Stores on planets
- Apartments on planets

Also there will be no big cities full of things to do. It will be crappy outposts and tents as far as you can walk with Mass Effect-like buildings.

I see Star Citizen coming together as science fiction FPS #75433456 with nothing new except your guys helmet with a my little pony icon cost you $16 real dollars, and your jacket costed you $10 real dollars, etc.

The space part will be a very tacked on, half baked mini game that will allow you to go from level to level. A very expensive space mini game though.

Also because CIG loves its player base, and wants to make a real game, I don't think they will ever allow players to purchase any ship for in game currency. Within the next two years we will see the starter ships get to be purchased for in game money, probably only up to the Freelancer. They won't release the stranglehold on their customers wallets until they can squeeze no more, and I can guess they'll go out of business before they release everything to the in game market.

You just described SWG.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Also I think the only way you'll see the starter ships sell for in game currency will be about 16 months after they unveil some poo poo rudimentary mining or trading system (accessible by the FPS side of the game only!), and people want something besides hats to buy, and demand the game have some sort of progression.

At that point they'll start talking about Progression 2.0, and how you can grow your in game life with one of six trillion possible avenues for employment in the space universe (but they can only be flavors of trader, miner, or hunting the same 4 pirates flying in a circle over and over).

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

You just described SWG.

Oops. I never played that though. :)

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The Titanic posted:

- More personal weapons
- More armors
- More clothes
- Housing on planets
- Stores on planets
- Apartments on planets

I said it earlier today, but you are on fire!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Star Citizen is garbage

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

This is a good analogy but he's not making that full circle connection because he's missing an important point of view.

The girl only liked you because you bought her dinner. Then she smiled slightly at you after that because maybe you'd buy her dinner again. If you don't, you're just a scrub.

She never liked you as a person, she liked you for what you could do for her at the time. You've played your part, she's moved on because she wants more and bigger, and you can't deliver.

You've been used for what you have, and she doesn't like you because of what you are. She never will. You're not friend zoned, you never were friends. You're "that creep that bought me dinner once who thinks his repayment needs to be sex and romance".

Star Citizen is a bitch, and her name is Greed.

You been played, boy. Sounds like you're used to it though, and now you're blue balling yourself because you think you're a nice guy by a loving video game company. A multinational video game company with hundreds of employees. Who's CEO jet sets around the world on your dime and goes on Italian vacations in boats. And has several vacations per year while playing director with popular actors, that you payed for.

And yet you're asking yourself "why do they treat me this way?" Read the above paragraph again until it finally clicks, friend. Good luck in life, you got to grab it and use it instead of wait for it to meet you with a hug and handshake and appreciation for being the ridiculous "nice guy". Also good luck waiting for your game. I'm sure it's almost done this week.

:master:

:kiss:

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

"chris said he wanted water on worlds to behave like morrowind water (lol)"

Hey now, I'm sure that somewhere in this vast Universe there exists a planetoid with oceans of mercury.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Tokamak posted:

Wreckage88 and Bribase still believe that goons were/are orchestrating fake refunds on discord.

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 28, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Roflan posted:

"chris said he wanted water on worlds to behave like morrowind water (lol)"

Hey now, I'm sure that somewhere in this vast Universe there exists a planetoid with oceans of mercury.

Hey now, that DirectX 8 shader water was really spectacular the first time you saw it — a definite step up from some wobbly flat texture. And it's nice to see that Chris' game inspirations has caught up with the current century.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm skipping ahead to ask you guys my questions. Is there a reason why the Star Citizen graphics are so high contrast? I tried watching it on Twitch to see what it is, but I feel like I'm not able to see anything clearly because of glare.

:3:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen is garbage

I hate to do this to a thread superstar pgabz, but

mods!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

starkebn posted:

I hate to do this to a thread superstar pgabz, but

mods!

I know, it's a controversial opinion, but I stand by it!!!!!!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Clearly you haven't actually read them. Nice try.
maybe I'm just hurt you aren't tweeting about me anymore

a guy has feelings, ya know?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

peter gabriel posted:

6 exclamation marks? calm down dancy cat!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen is garbage

oh yeah? well

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

So today we're doing the nerdiest possible adaption of the Greek mythical figure Sisyphus,

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

#StandByYou

We are still waiting on the 2.6.3 video chief.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

aleksendr posted:

... and the males will gently caress themselves to death by exhaustion if given the opportunity.

:same:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, watching ATV seems like it'll suck the life out of you.

They've lost all enthusiasm and joy in what they're doing. This is good for Star Citizen.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

no_recall posted:

Wow, watching ATV seems like it'll suck the life out of you.

They've lost all enthusiasm and joy in what they're doing. This is good for Star Citizen.

Chambers looks like he is ready to jump in front of a bus. Probably his greatest fear is he will clip through it.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Colostomy Bag posted:

Chambers looks like he is ready to jump in front of a bus. Probably his greatest fear is he will clip through it.

He will accidentally emote before the collision, rendering him invulnerable and causing the buss to explode instead.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Exinos posted:

He will accidentally emote before the collision, rendering him invulnerable and causing the buss to explode instead.

Killing the whole instance of 24 on board.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Mr. Chambers was acting like there was a guy just offscreen holding a gun to the head of a loved one. But with that said, if you ignored the history of the game's development and the technical impossibility of making what they are doing into a true MMO (more than 36 players in an "instance" seems to be impossible), they do talk a good game. I could believe after viewing that (first ATV I've watched in its entirety), that they could build an interesting game to fly in and explore if they had another two years of development. Am I just being a delusional alcoholic here? Or can we admit that it could eventually be a game that doesn't completely suck (again, setting aside the likely money issues they have and the networking issues they will almost certainly have)? I'm curious to hear other's thoughts.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Croberts has vision, not a vision.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

MinorInconvenience posted:

Am I just being a delusional alcoholic here?
Yes.

They've been talking a good game for six years now. That's all they ever do, talk. It never pans out, it's all bullshottery.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

MinorInconvenience posted:

Mr. Chambers was acting like there was a guy just offscreen holding a gun to the head of a loved one. But with that said, if you ignored the history of the game's development and the technical impossibility of making what they are doing into a true MMO (more than 36 players in an "instance" seems to be impossible), they do talk a good game. I could believe after viewing that (first ATV I've watched in its entirety), that they could build an interesting game to fly in and explore if they had another two years of development. Am I just being a delusional alcoholic here? Or can we admit that it could eventually be a game that doesn't completely suck (again, setting aside the likely money issues they have and the networking issues they will almost certainly have)? I'm curious to hear other's thoughts.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts and learn on how jury instructions are formed between plaintiffs and defendants.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Why is there wind on this rock?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Roberts landed and waved his hands.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

SelenicMartian posted:

so they think this is real huh lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
No! You see its all space dust and particles being shaved off by orbital wobble just like you see with comets having a tail and clearly CLEARLY this is something that would happen in star Citizen and it builds the lore of the rings forming around Stanton a possible gas planet also Dereks game is dumb and doesnt have atmospheres and its all debugs and dumb gay babies derek derek derek derek!!!!!!

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

You see, this affirms the theory that Amazons newly released particle effect technology was actually innovated by CIG.

To me, as an uninformed non-game deleloper, it appears that CIG is capturing the credit for Amazons tech announcement without saying a word, letting the narrative be crafted as if from loving /r/writingprompts. To me it appears like a parasitic attack stratagy, but what do I know about game development.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

thatguy posted:

Nice meltdown

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

uh obviously because thats how it is in real life, just look at the flag

checkmate, stupid goonie :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
The solar heat is indexed in real-time pushing the steam particles into moving based on the gravitational pull from the coolness settling in the shadows of the crater this obviously causes it to appear like wind but it's actually just another advanced algorithm invented by CIG.