Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Stamina is better than hearts

lol @ you if you upgrade a single heart before having 3 wheels of stamina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I upgraded to 5 hearts first, then 2 stamina wheels, by that point I'd beaten two Divine Beasts so I was up to 7 hearts, got to 13 for the Master Sword then respeced to a full 3rd wheel. By that point I'd gotten some decent armor upgrades so I wasn't super squishy and cooking single radishes or hearty radishes gives you a full health refill + 3-4 extra hearts and I had the Zora ability in case I really messed something up.

Basically,

Regy Rusty posted:

Don't underestimate how awesome 3 wheels is

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Who needs the master sword when you're spinning around lynels for days

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Lakbay posted:

I'm gonna respec now thanks to the empty quotes (also it seems way easier to make max heart buff food)

The Durian farm next to the Faron tower is almost a cheat code tbh

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
I know this game is all about preparation but I get lazy about gathering and cooking so I keep a full row of hearts. I know I'm a bad person.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I went to a full row of hearts before getting stamina upgrade #2. :smith:

I didn't really find enough upgrade fairies and was constantly getting 1-2 shot by bad dudes, and the climbing gear is a pretty big crutch to get you by most of the stamina checks.

Knowing what I know now though, stamina all the way.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Yeah I just found the durian forest yesterday, also thanks for the tips for just cooking single hearty radishes, etc, though I actually love the cooking minigame I come out with weird poo poo

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I haven't cooked anything but hearty durian and mighty whatever since day 2.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Drewjitsu posted:

I went to a full row of hearts before getting stamina upgrade #2. :smith:

I didn't really find enough upgrade fairies and was constantly getting 1-2 shot by bad dudes, and the climbing gear is a pretty big crutch to get you by most of the stamina checks.

Knowing what I know now though, stamina all the way.

The thing about the climbing gear; It doesn't increase how high you can climb. Until Upgrade 2 with the full set, it only makes you climb /faster/. Climbing the same path with or without the climbing gear will use the same amount of stamina. The stamina reduction for level 2 is only for jumping, which, by itself, won't take you as high as regular climbing would.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I think I would still like the option of buying premade meals and potions. In my opinion a major flaw in some of these style of games is you run out of things to actually spend money on. I pretty much just buy arrows now but I'd love to buy some weapons.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lakbay posted:

Yeah I just found the durian forest yesterday, also thanks for the tips for just cooking single hearty radishes, etc, though I actually love the cooking minigame I come out with weird poo poo

Yeah when I figured out that you only need a single one for full health + extras I think I actually :stare:'d in real life. I wasted so many radishes before finding that out, though :(

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
The simple bliss this game's first four or so hours has given me is incredible, and I've not even left the bloody mesa.

Feel like playing OoT all over again. :unsmith:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Thyrork posted:

The simple bliss this game's first four or so hours has given me is incredible, and I've not even left the bloody mesa.

Feel like playing OoT all over again. :unsmith:

That feeling is gonna stick for dozens of hours. I envy you :)

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

That feeling is gonna stick for dozens of hours. I envy you :)

I'm at nearly 3 decades of playing video games. The euphoria dropoffs on games will always be different. But BotW somehow manages to refresh itself on a weekly, if not daily basis.

"Oh I'm gonna play this linear like a Zelda game. Kakariko, Divine Beasts. Get powers. Get weapons. Collect some things while I'm traveling between those venues."

And then every drat time, just when you think you're going to fire up the game to just accomplish X-Y-Z. Then you'll encounter an NPC, or stumble upon a miniboss, or a previously unfinished Shrine, so maybe you do X-1-F-Q-"-ñ-Z instead. But you never feel any less productive. You've only become stronger and mastered the nuances of the game more than you ever thought.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I knew people were upset the patches have fixed/removed certain exploits but I didn't know some people were actually angry.

Like if the problem is that the strategy guide is giving out false information now that...that sucks but it also hasn't been anything new for a long time in regards to games patching being a thing.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
If I have 20 shrines still to find and only ten of them are shrine quests, does that mean the other ten are shrines that are just sitting out in the open somewhere?

*edit - to clarify, by out in the open I don't necessarily mean obvious, just that nothing needs to be done to unlock them, they exist in the open world already.

MyStereoHasMono fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 28, 2017

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

MyStereoHasMono posted:

If I have 20 shrines still to find and only ten of them are shrine quests, does that mean the other ten are shrines that are just sitting out in the open somewhere?

*edit - to clarify, by out in the open I don't necessarily mean obvious, just that nothing needs to be done to unlock them, they exist in the open world already.

I'm pretty sure if they're not a shrine quest shrine, they will show on your radar and you can just get to them normally.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Although there are some where the shrine may not be immediately visible until you do a puzzle, even though there's no quest associated. They'll still trigger the radar though.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
Thanks. Though I'd actually suggest people don't use the sensor for finding shrines. Really takes the surprise and satisfaction away when you stumble upon one unexpectedly when you're 80 deep. You see that orange glow and you're like holy poo poo, yes, how did i miss this?!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Thanks. Though I'd actually suggest people don't use the sensor for finding shrines. Really takes the surprise and satisfaction away when you stumble upon one unexpectedly when you're 80 deep. You see that orange glow and you're like holy poo poo, yes, how did i miss this?!

Actually I highly suggest they turn it on and then go walk around Hebra Mountains until they slowly lose grip on reality and go insane like At the Mountains of Madness trying to find the ancient ones :twisted:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Xaris posted:

Actually I highly suggest they turn it on and then go walk around Hebra Mountains until they slowly lose grip on reality and go insane like At the Mountains of Madness trying to find the ancient ones :twisted:

no. shut up. no no no no no. oh god no.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Xaris posted:

I explored Hebra Mountains fully and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Xaris posted:

I spent two hours paragliding into the frozen chasm of madness last night, looking for some bomb-able wall that I must've missed. Finally, I gave up and pursued other interesting spots on the map... that's when I found it! Very satisfying.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Xaris posted:

i'm having flashbacks you monster

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

It is a neat puzzle though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Augus posted:

I explored Hebra Mountains fully and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Maybe you got lucky, but if you came in from the north-side which is a natural route, your radar is going to go blipblipblip and then you'll try to climb that giant cliff which is painful, and it'll stop and send you shooting off the cliff so maybe it was actually a little entrance below you! Nope you'll fall several times and decide ok where it must be some entrance around here, maybe there's a pit at the top so you climb back up, rinse-repeat until your ready to dive to your doom repeatedly.

It's not obvious that it's not even anywhere close. I did find it latter on but I thought there might have been a switch somewhere so I went wandering around all over the god drat place.

Really loving beautiful though when the aurora borealis is going on so I can't complain

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Sam Faust posted:

I'm pretty sure if they're not a shrine quest shrine, they will show on your radar and you can just get to them normally.

Well today I just did the one with the person laying on the actuator to open the shrine that was a shrine quest, but the shrine was already popped up. So there is at least that one.

I know the sensor doesn't work when you need to do something to make it pop out of the ground.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Astro7x posted:

Well today I just did the one with the person laying on the actuator to open the shrine that was a shrine quest, but the shrine was already popped up. So there is at least that one.

I know the sensor doesn't work when you need to do something to make it pop out of the ground.

Not all shrine quest shrines are hidden, but all hidden shrines have shrine quests.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
There are also a few shrines I'm pretty sure you'll never find without the radar that don't have a quest attached.

the one where you need to do sick midair bombing runs on the wall of a random chasm to open comes to mind

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Not all shrine quest shrines are hidden, but all hidden shrines have shrine quests.

There's at least one shrine that's hidden and doesn't show up on the radar but has no quest attached. (It's the one on the cliffs above the path to the Yiga hideout, near the Gerudo tower, where you have to put luminous stones on the pedestal.)

Source: I was at 119/120 for about 20 hours.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Zore posted:

There are also a few shrines I'm pretty sure you'll never find without the radar that don't have a quest attached.

the one where you need to do sick midair bombing runs on the wall of a random chasm to open comes to mind

I realized that was how I was supposed to do that challenge, but instead I just landed on the ledge just under the bombable wall and threw it from there.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Snake Maze posted:

There's at least one shrine that's hidden and doesn't show up on the radar but has no quest attached. (It's the one on the cliffs above the path to the Yiga hideout, near the Gerudo tower, where you have to put luminous stones on the pedestal.)

Source: I was at 119/120 for about 20 hours.
I discovered this one by blowing up the rocks with a bomb and the luminous stone accidentally landed on the platform. It was awesome.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I respec'd to three stamina wheels like you guys said and it's been a blast of course now it's going to take awhile to (I read this in the before I play wiki) pull out the master sword since I was left with 6 hearts

I've been beelining the towers in each blacked out region so I can find the third labyrinth (if there is one) to complete the barbarian set

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

How do you respec?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
http://gameranx.com/features/id/95758/article/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-how-to-respec-hearts-stamina/

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I guess the idea with Tarrey Town is you're supposed to have already met the people you recruit along the way. Because it was only that Goron I have had difficulty finding so far and that was because I was on a death march to death mountain when I passed his area. Pretty sure I just flew over that whole bit the first time.

Anyway, Tarrey Town is the best because it has three dogs. :3:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I'm doing the Hebra region and the Rito last because the bear-mounted enemies kicked my rear end the first time I went there, and then the fire rod I was using to stay warm broke.

So I have no idea who the Rito I need for the Tarrey Town quest is. :(

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Chaltab posted:

I'm doing the Hebra region and the Rito last because the bear-mounted enemies kicked my rear end the first time I went there, and then the fire rod I was using to stay warm broke.

So I have no idea who the Rito I need for the Tarrey Town quest is. :(

Just go to Rito Village and buy the cold resistance armor, you don't need the fire rod.

Also here is a guide so you know who to talk to:

http://www.gosunoob.com/zelda-breath-of-wild/tarrey-town-finding-goron-zora-rita-from-ground-up-side-quest/

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I knew people were upset the patches have fixed/removed certain exploits but I didn't know some people were actually angry.

Like if the problem is that the strategy guide is giving out false information now that...that sucks but it also hasn't been anything new for a long time in regards to games patching being a thing.

Am I being patched? I do not consent to joinder with this patch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

McDragon posted:

I guess the idea with Tarrey Town is you're supposed to have already met the people you recruit along the way. Because it was only that Goron I have had difficulty finding so far and that was because I was on a death march to death mountain when I passed his area. Pretty sure I just flew over that whole bit the first time.

Anyway, Tarrey Town is the best because it has three dogs. :3:

I met everyone before hand except the Gerudo and the Goron but I found them easily just following the road to their respective capitols.

I wish Tarrey Town completely replaced Hylian Homeowner and Link got a tacky prefab home along with all the other son folks