Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

We don't get the Hilux, we get the slightly different Tacoma, and it costs drat near as much as a full-sized pickup. Resale value is ridiculously good too, so finding decent a deal on used examples in good shape is tough.

Tacoma are loving awesome and have no faults at all which is the lie Tacoma owners tell ourselves to justify paying that much for a 10 year old truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jack B Nimble posted:

How different is a first gen Dr 650 from a klr? I owned and loved a kick start Dr and always thought the klr would be a more common replacement.

About a hundred pounds.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

builds character posted:

About a hundred pounds.

Holy crap I looked it up and my dr650 and my honda cb300f have about the same weight. I would never had guessed.

Another question, my battery is going on two years but seems fine. Should I care enough to youtube up the way to check it out with a multimeter? I've had zero problems with but for various reasons I've never personally had a battery last much longer than this one (mostly the bikes broke or got sold).

Edit because I can't do basic math.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 27, 2017

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Tacoma are loving awesome and have no faults at all which is the lie Tacoma owners tell ourselves to justify paying that much for a 10 year old truck.

LOL if your Tacoma is new enough that it's called a Tacoma and not just "pickup"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Holy crap I looked it up and my dr650 and my honda cb300f have about the same weight. I would never had guessed.

Another question, my battery is going on two years but seems fine. Should I care enough to youtube up the way to check it out with a multimeter? I've had zero problems with but for various reasons I've never personally had a battery last much longer than this one (mostly the bikes broke or got sold).

Edit because I can't do basic math.

If you're asking if replacing a battery preemptively is a thing, it isn't unless you're really starved for something to do/waste money on.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Dog Case posted:

LOL if your Tacoma is new enough that it's called a Tacoma and not just "pickup"

truth

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Wait I missed lithium chat, why aren't lithium batteries great? I've had two for a year and so far I've had nothing but success despite abusing them both horribly and doing zero maintenance/charging on them.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

RadioPassive posted:

Wait I missed lithium chat, why aren't lithium batteries great? I've had two for a year and so far I've had nothing but success despite abusing them both horribly and doing zero maintenance/charging on them.

Because they are usually made in cheap factories out of subpar cells and old lotto tickets. According to people that have opened them up.

Plus lot's of small cells in series vs a big cell, so you can run into a charge imbalance with cheap cells which is Really Bad.

I like my shorai, though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Because lithium batteries are great when they are working and taken care of.

When they fail though, they do so with an unquenchable fire that is self fueling.

You shouldn't over charge them, you shouldn't undervolt them, they cannot (CANNOT) be punctured, they are picky things that can be difficult to get right (see Samsung galaxy phones).

When a lead acid battery fails, it just does n start your bike anymore, it generally won't burn it to the ground.

The weight savings isn't worth the risk from Chinese batteries.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I don't think LiFePo batteries have an issue with catching on fire. Maybe you're thinking of a different kind of lithium battery?

Anyway, they're also bad because you can discharge them all the way and then they're dead forever (except, supposedly EarthX which are super expensive but have something fancy that stops them from being discharged all the way and also they self-balance).

I just think they're too expensive for what you get if you have access to a nice toasty garage where you can hook up a tender.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

builds character posted:

if you have access to a nice toasty garage where you can hook up a tender.

I don't, I have to drag the tender and an extension cord out from my apartment and I can't leave it overnight.

But apparently my lithium batteries either all have excellent smartchip protection or are of superior construction because I have:

- Left the lights on for eight hours, all electrics were dead, charged it for twenty minutes and it was symptom-free. Rode for 15 minutes and parked it with no further charging, continued to ride all summer with no further charging.

- Put the little KLR-sized lithium battery in the Concours when the Concours' giant lead battery died and it ran better than when the lead battery was working.

- Hooked a new Concours-sized lithium battery up backwards in the bike, blowing the main fuse, and ALSO hooked the lithium battery up to the charger backwards at 10 Amps. Corrected polarities, replaced the fuse, instantly symptom-free.

The fiery mode of failure isn't something I considered, but also not something I think is true of modern LiFePO cells?

Either way, for the number of times my behaviour would have surely killed a lead battery, the lithium cells have paid for themselves.

RadioPassive fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 28, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lifepos are less fire prone, but no less prone to the other issues

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lifepos are less fire prone, but no less prone to the other issues

In my mind there are three big negatives to LiFePo batteries. 1. Cost and 2. If you drain them they're dead forever and 3. you need to balance them with a special charger every so often for best life. EarthX gets around 2 and 3 at the price of even more of #1.

What are the other negatives you're referring to, because it seems like your prior post was primarily aimed at LiPo batteries, not LiFePo batteries? I'm not aware of any LiPo motorcycle batteries for exactly the reasons you mentioned, but maybe they're out there.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

builds character posted:

In my mind there are three big negatives to LiFePo batteries. 1. Cost and 2. If you drain them they're dead forever and 3. you need to balance them with a special charger every so often for best life. EarthX gets around 2 and 3 at the price of even more of #1.

What are the other negatives you're referring to, because it seems like your prior post was primarily aimed at LiPo batteries, not LiFePo batteries? I'm not aware of any LiPo motorcycle batteries for exactly the reasons you mentioned, but maybe they're out there.

maybe im speaking out of turn here but every battery ive handled only has one negative

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

maybe im speaking out of turn here but every battery ive handled only has one negative

sonofa

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

:vince:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Lithium battery chat: There was a recent episode of NOVA about battery technology that explained why Lithium batteries are prone to fire and other interesting stuff.

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365946487/ You need a PBS account which is free or you can watch it on the Roku app although I think that may have made me sign up for the account too.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

EX250 Type R posted:

Actually, mine has two; you can switch the terminals from one side to the other. :smug:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
So I ended up paying a dude to my take my bike away and slap a new tyre/tube on since we were busy as gently caress moving house and stuff, nice guy but he tightened my chain and rear brake way the gently caress up so it was more like riding a horse than a bike on the way home.

However I've still got to address another problem as I've got an exhaust air leak if you could call it that, where basically sound doesn't come out the muffler but instead out the pipe header (it's loud as gently caress which while neat, I imagine isn't very healthy). Is it pretty much a case replacing the exhaust header gasket and making sure the holder nuts are tight enough? the whole thing wobbles a bit since the middle frame clamp needs a new rubber damper which has rotted away.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Alright, I'm working on rebuilding the forks on my bike. I was taught that calipers should never be suspended by the brake lines. I don't remember where I read that. Well, my dad was making fun of me for being so meticulous. He says his mechanic friend never worries about that. What's the truth?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Super Slash posted:

Is it pretty much a case replacing the exhaust header gasket and making sure the holder nuts are tight enough?

Yes, pretty much. Good to do it sooner rather than later, as the mixture goes wrong and an exhaust valve might burn. Nuts can be tricky to get off. If they won't budge, before you apply gorilla strength and snap them, heat them up by running the engine and try again. Worth a shot as broken studs are a massive pain.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kuffs posted:

Alright, I'm working on rebuilding the forks on my bike. I was taught that calipers should never be suspended by the brake lines. I don't remember where I read that. Well, my dad was making fun of me for being so meticulous. He says his mechanic friend never worries about that. What's the truth?

The truth is brake hoses are tested to way, way more stress than a couple of hundred grams dangling statically but it's good practice to tie them back or they dangle around and bash and scratch things that don't need bashing or scratching.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've been given a crappy chinese 50cc 4 stroke scooter with the usual GY6 pattern engine. It was free and thus I'm using it to teach my missus spannering without breaking anything worth money. If I spend about $100 on ali express I can upgrade it to a 100cc bore/head (the original reciprocating parts are completely hosed). How would I go about working out the right jets to stick in the carb? It's a tiny keihin so getting jets won't be an issue, I just don't know what size to stick in there seeing as it's going to be double the displacement.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

I've been given a crappy chinese 50cc 4 stroke scooter with the usual GY6 pattern engine. It was free and thus I'm using it to teach my missus spannering without breaking anything worth money. If I spend about $100 on ali express I can upgrade it to a 100cc bore/head (the original reciprocating parts are completely hosed). How would I go about working out the right jets to stick in the carb? It's a tiny keihin so getting jets won't be an issue, I just don't know what size to stick in there seeing as it's going to be double the displacement.

Can you extrapolate from their recommendations for overbored dirt bikes? They should have stuff for 250-650, I'd think and you can extrapolate from there as a start.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
just start adding fuel until it has too much and then start taking it away.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

EX250 Type R posted:

just start adding fuel until it has too much and then buy a bigger bore kit

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I was given a practically new Arai helmet that's probably 12 years old. Is there any way to "rebuild" these helmets or something? It would be a shame to just put it on a shelf and look at it.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Arai recommends anything older than 7 years be replaced, even if it's unused. The EPS breaks down over time, and I've never heard of a company relining a shell before.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

dreesemonkey posted:

I was given a practically new Arai helmet that's probably 12 years old. Is there any way to "rebuild" these helmets or something? It would be a shame to just put it on a shelf and look at it.

sell it on craigslist to an idiot and buy a new helmet

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Well crap. I guess it's just going to be for display purposes then.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Make it into a movie costume or something

e: you have kids? Or nephews or something? I'm sure they'd love to have an astronaut helmet

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Slavvy posted:

Run an 80 and if you do intake and exhaust bump it to 90.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

revmoo posted:

Run an 80 and if you do intake and exhaust bump it to 90.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

My brother was given a Chineseium 50cc scooter that needed some parts off Aliexpress, so he spent a fair amount getting stuff shipped to NZ. Turns out he ordered all the wrong parts because none of them fit.

He ended up giving it to our stepfather to blow up in one of these silly charity runs where you ride scooters like 200km and fix them as you go. :v:

I think it lasted 120km before the engine grenaded.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Mine has 1700 miles so far on it, no problems. If it blows up I will shrug and throw a new motor in it. I'm even running the "100cc" (80cc) kit with the flat head which is something retarded like 14:1 compression.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There's an electrical cable that hooks up to my clutch perch. Pretty sure it's a sensor for telling the bike whether or not the clutch is in. If I were to, say, get a different perch and leave this disconnected, would it have any adverse affects? Is it there just so the bike won't start in gear with the clutch out?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

revmoo posted:

Mine has 1700 miles so far on it, no problems. If it blows up I will shrug and throw a new motor in it. I'm even running the "100cc" (80cc) kit with the flat head which is something retarded like 14:1 compression.

Oh lame so does a 50cc bore only yield you 80cc? That's a little disappointing, but for forty bucks who gives a poo poo.

I'm starting to see the appeal of modding scooters but it only makes sense if the scooter is cheap chinese poo poo and everything is forty bucks or less of aliexpress. Have you got a lumpy cam as well? For eleven bucks I'm certainly willing to give it a try.

its all nice on rice posted:

There's an electrical cable that hooks up to my clutch perch. Pretty sure it's a sensor for telling the bike whether or not the clutch is in. If I were to, say, get a different perch and leave this disconnected, would it have any adverse affects? Is it there just so the bike won't start in gear with the clutch out?

It's part of the neutral/clutch/side-stand bullshit safety triangle. If you disconnect the switch just join the two wires together somehow and it'll be like the clutch is always pulled in.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Excellent. That is what I shall do!

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

its all nice on rice posted:

Depending on the bike it'll run like poo poo/stall if you don't have a functioning clutch switch, some bikes (such as KTM 690s) use a different map while the clutch is in. Why? No idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's part of the overall ktm corporate strategy of making fueling as frustrating as possible