Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Not just pretty powerful. The GNs could pretty much spank a Corvette of the time

Oooh, impressive. They could "pretty much" outperform a Corvette making 245 horsepower with a 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds. :rolleyes:

So since the performance today isn't impressive, you look at the styling of the car, hoping it'll be something classy and timeless. And by that metric the GN is just a spectacular failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
An all black GN or GNX still manages to have a respectable street presence through sheer malevolence. We've got 2 GNs, A turbo t-type and a true GNX here in town. All in black and they most definately grab your attention and hold it. Its not supposed to be pretty, its an underground pit fighter and it excells at that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sagebrush posted:

Oooh, impressive. They could "pretty much" outperform a Corvette making 245 horsepower with a 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds. :rolleyes:

So since the performance today isn't impressive, you look at the styling of the car, hoping it'll be something classy and timeless. And by that metric the GN is just a spectacular failure.

Yeah they're not XD Falcon bad, but that's not a pretty car.

"Barn find of a lifetime" would be like a Bugatti Type 35 sitting in some sealed shed in the UK where it was cold enough to keep away insects.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

These are some real bad opinions.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sagebrush posted:

What? They look pretty bad rear end, in the chunky early eighties way.

It's like saying a 3-door Cossie is just a manky Sierra with only 200bhp.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

quote:

Sierra Cosworth

Uuuunnnhhhhh :fap:

Shame that like everything else from the period the tin worm have gotten to most of them.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

InitialDave posted:

What? They look pretty bad rear end, in the chunky early eighties way.

It's like saying a 3-door Cossie is just a manky Sierra with only 200bhp.

No, it isn't. The Sierra Cosworth is actually the most successful racing car ever built, dominating multiple series for several years. That Buick may have been quick (for the time) in a straight line but how many races and rallies has it won?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Who gives a single gently caress, it's a badass looking turbo-coupe and this is the awesome car thread not the argue about how a 30 year old car from the dark ages of American car building can't measure up to a modern car. Like, no loving poo poo.

I never thought I'd see the day that the loving GNX was called a piece of poo poo in AI.

gently caress you all, this forum is absolute dogshit these days.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
G-bodies rule, haters vacate.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
G-body haters ya'll lack context. They were the kings of the straight line for a dark age in the 80s and can easily be made to make big power.

So they look ugly and 80s but they're awesome because they have boost and displacement so if you don't like you're wrong.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My friend is making his own ECU.

I asked him if I could share this and he said yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pp0a46tZ90

edit:

Things that is happening in that video:

Tracking engine statistics, changing fuel maps, changing RPM limit, all wirelessly using a laptop while the engine is running.

EDIT EDIT:
That's a plug and play ECU for ALL 90s Subies.

You heard that right: An ECU that works with GC8s.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 28, 2017

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Also they're not ugly. Your taste just doesn't align.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

G bodies ain't ugly, they got their own thing going on.

Buy one now and stick it in a barn because in the 2040's they gonna be what everyone wants.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Can't believe I have to post this hackneyed thing in TYOOL 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I would own a GN simply because it is an automotive oddity.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Sagebrush posted:

I actually had to double take to make sure I wasn't reading YouTube comments. This is a typical YouTube quality comment.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

boxen posted:

If I ever have access to a time machine, I'm going to somehow get GM to put the GN Turbo V6 in a Fiero.

Agreed. That would have been a very happy-making thing. Hell, even just the 3.8/3800 over the 60-degree 2.8 would have been a better idea.
My Fiero buddy tells me a later 3400 is a nice upgrade, but you have to get a specific one from whatever the Lumina APV became (Traverse?) because of starter mounting. There are a number of people who have stuffed a 3800 SC in Fieros, and the FWD Monte Carlo SS V8, of course.
His particular Fiero is an '88 Formula with a bit of an overbore on the 2.8, and a nice cam. It sounds good. he's got a backyard full of Fieros and a garage full of parts. It's hard not to ask him if we can piece together a nice one for me...

slothrop posted:

Interest seems lacking so here's the big reveal:

Torino 380w

I really don't like the hacked out rear wheel openings. Bulges are OK.

Dr.Smasher posted:

They took 1500 surplus GN engines and put them in Trans Ams in 1989, is that close enough?

Almost. Despite popular opinion, the Fiero was a better car, I think. Especially when they upgraded in '88. The second gen was looking interesting. Too bad it never got built. GM killed it when it got good, much like the Corvair.

Sagebrush posted:

Your point? I said "pretty much", because I couldn't be arsed to look up the numbers. Sperg trap sprung.
It was a good value, and an impressive car at the time it was made. Love for it now is mostly nostalgia, like it is with many classic/older cars. Folks that were just getting into cars in the '80s recognize and value it. And some of us like the styling of the time.
Really, it was an achievement back then. Performance is so cheap and easy now, it's easy to forget how slow and low-perf everything was back then, when manufacturers were still struggling with emissions and early EFI.

Terrible Robot posted:

Who gives a single gently caress, it's a badass looking turbo-coupe and this is the awesome car thread not the argue about how a 30 year old car from the dark ages of American car building can't measure up to a modern car. Like, no loving poo poo.

I never thought I'd see the day that the loving GNX was called a piece of poo poo in AI.

gently caress you all, this forum is absolute dogshit these days.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

G-bodies rule, haters vacate.

I normally prefer the coupes, but that, just like that, will do.
Notice the vent windows on the rear doors? That was because GM was so loving stupid/cheap that the rear windows *do not roll down*. I remember dying from heat and humidity in the rear seat of my mom's '79 Pontiac G-body wagon with non-working AC in South Texas. Couldn;t even roll down the damned window to get some freaking air.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I normally prefer the coupes, but that, just like that, will do.
Notice the vent windows on the rear doors? That was because GM was so loving stupid/cheap that the rear windows *do not roll down*. I remember dying from heat and humidity in the rear seat of my mom's '79 Pontiac G-body wagon with non-working AC in South Texas. Couldn;t even roll down the damned window to get some freaking air.

Man, that brings back memories. My sisters and I would try to fold those windows open as much as possible and stick our fingers outside to try and scoop air in, because in their infinite wisdom GM made the vents tilt inwards so air just bounced off and never really entered the cabin.

We had functioning AC, but my parents were poor as dirt and would refuse to use it because it used "too much gas." They saved it for when it got "really hot."

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fiero chat. A guy I used to autocross with had an E-mod Fiero with 12" wide slicks and a hot rodded Caddy V-8. It was awesome. Because he lived out in the boonies so didn't have emissions checks or inspections, it was also licensed and registered so he would sometimes just drive it to the events​.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

drgitlin posted:

but how many races and rallies has it won?

:colbert:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
drgitlin can eat my rear end in a top hat dry after a long night of vodka shots and taquitos.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Terrible Robot posted:

drgitlin can eat my rear end in a top hat dry after a long night of vodka shots and taquitos.

Well, that's explicit. :catstare:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
There's a few simple facts here, the Grand National is a big ugly box, it's only "ok" by performance standards, it has no manual transmission, and it's disproportionately loved by car enthusiasts despite how ugly and slow it is

None of those things stop it from being a super cool American novelty and I'd argue that it's adorably edgy, but it's easy to reactively hate the GN when it gets brought up in conversation

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
big ugly box > jellybean shitbox. lmao "no manual transmission" yeah that has changed a lot.

I loathe GM and the GNX is still awesome.

This forum is hosed. years ago this poo poo wouldn't fly.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

cursedshitbox posted:

big ugly box > jellybean shitbox. lmao "no manual transmission" yeah that has changed a lot.

we're getting old

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Comparing a cool car from one decade to cool cars of another decade in an attempt to diminish the coolness of one of said cars is loving stupid.

Hurr the GNX is slow compared to a loving z07 hurr it sucks

Some cars are timelessly gorgeous, like a Ferrari 250 GTO. Some cars are timelessly cool, like the GN/X

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
The g body was not the best looking car in its day even for american styling. But it was cool in a thug bad boy sort of way. However now I believe the Mercedes styling department has started a campaign to rid their cars of every and all creases going forward and that makes me sad for some reason.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I didn't realize AI had a shift in what was cool and what wasnt. Since I don't lease a new shitbox I'll see my way out.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think I'd own one except to sell it for way to much to one of you dorks.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

we're getting old

getting older but liking a buick less?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

cursedshitbox posted:

I didn't realize AI had a shift in what was cool and what wasnt. Since I don't lease a new shitbox I'll see my way out.

Yes because one person's opinion accurately represents the entire forum.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This whole thread is turning into the terrible car stuff.

Supras, bros, burnouts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tbTa5fUO6E

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

cursedshitbox posted:

It's a Buick Regal, did anyone ever expect a real manual transmission? And the GNX is legitimately awesome, but there were less than 550 made

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Can we permaban anyone talking poo poo about the GNX? I mean I'm the first one to laugh at lovely 80s American cars but how is this not absolutely badass?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

A cool car is a car you think is cool, not what someone else tells you is cool.

Ain't no one can tell you what you can or can't like.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"Man, the Buick GNX sure is stupid and slow and ugly and overrated, not like my favorite car, the loving Sierra Cosworth"

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wistful of Dollars posted:

A cool car is a car you think is cool, not what someone else tells you is cool.

Ain't no one can tell you what you can or can't like.

Opinions about things being cool can be WRONG.

Opinions about things not being cool are ALWAYS WRONG.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I love it's little red logo

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I love it's little red logo

The GN/X logo has always been my favorite badge. I don't think anything holds a candle to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

eyebeem posted:

The GN/X logo has always been my favorite badge. I don't think anything holds a candle to it.

Does the Corvette Racing logo qualify?

Anyways. Ford Falcons are ugly and slow and only popular because of Mad Max.

I mean look at this horrible poo poo.

I'm Joking, obvs