Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

RuanGacho posted:

*gazes warily across the parking lot from another government building at a post office*

I'm not sure I trust the feds with something more analog than paper.

Counter-Point: The Post Office rules rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Accretionist posted:

Counter-Point: The Post Office rules rear end

We can just pretend i confusedly posted pictures of large buttox postal workers here.

They need more money so they can do proper customer service.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

RuanGacho posted:

Whats the state of credit unions in Oregon?

Where in Oregon?

OnPoint is huge and all over the state but hired a bunch of former B of A managers who were making it more like their alma matter every day last I checked.

Rouge FCU is decent in the Rouge Valley, or at least was ten years ago when I left there.

What sort of features are you looking for in a banking relationship? Will you also keep some accounts with a bank to access features not present at your CU ?

What line of work are you in, and also if you have a spouse or SO qith whom you share finances what line of work are they in? A lot of CUs are select employment group (SEG) based.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The major of Seattle is doubling down on that soda tax by also taxing diet sodas http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/seattle-wants-to-add-diet-drinks-to-soda-tax-proposal/

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

The major of Seattle is doubling down on that soda tax by also taxing diet sodas http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/seattle-wants-to-add-diet-drinks-to-soda-tax-proposal/

Aspartame includes toxins that cause autism. And cancer if you are exposed to wifi.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

I assume "bottled coffees" means it still doesn't cover the other 90% of Starbucks' menu:

quote:

The revised tax would cover sodas such as Coke and Pepsi, energy and sports drinks such as Red Bull and Gatorade, fruit drinks such as Sunny D, sweetened teas such as those sold by Arizona, and bottled coffees such as those sold by Starbucks.

Edit: They still sell Sunny D?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

tk posted:

They still sell Sunny D?
Even worse, they still sell purple stuff.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol https://twitter.com/portlandmercury/status/857667491660574720

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
I feel like "City Hall hires three people" isn't much of a headline.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

twodot posted:

I feel like "City Hall hires three people" isn't much of a headline.
I agree, it'll be a much bigger deal once we find out which city services will be getting cut in order to provide security theater for our pearl-clutching politicians.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

I agree, it'll be a much bigger deal once we find out which city services will be getting cut in order to provide security theater for our pearl-clutching politicians.

I think "bitchmade" is a more appropriate adjective in this case. Would also accept wussy, whimpy, or chickenshit.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
ACAB http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/04/portland_police_lack_policy_tr.html

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Related:

https://twitter.com/christopoconnor/status/857649704607207424

IANAL, and that guy is a defense attorney, but this still seems like a bad look for PPB.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I have a random question for Seattle goons. Are there a fair amount of government jobs in the city?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Update: https://twitter.com/Oregonian/status/857675110907617280

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I have a random question for Seattle goons. Are there a fair amount of government jobs in the city?

Yes, but our interview process is a shameful farce and it can be hard to get past intermittent status and into real employment. My experience is just with Parks, but once you get in it's a comfortable union job with some good paths upward. Feel free to PM me with questions.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

punk rebel ecks posted:

Are you a cop? You have to say if you're a cop.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

George posted:

Yes, but our interview process is a shameful farce and it can be hard to get past intermittent status and into real employment. My experience is just with Parks, but once you get in it's a comfortable union job with some good paths upward. Feel free to PM me with questions.

I see. So they are available but it CAN be difficult to find a full-time job. But once you are in, you are in.

anthonypants posted:

Are you a cop? You have to say if you're a cop.

No.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Depends on which part of government you're looking in. State agencies are always looking, the city is but the process is brutal, and the county has jobs but can and will ship you off to other parts of King County as needed. City and county pay way better than the state does but positions for my field get a ton of candidates and I'm pretty okay with sticking it out for the next 4 years.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Depends on which part of government you're looking in. State agencies are always looking, the city is but the process is brutal, and the county has jobs but can and will ship you off to other parts of King County as needed. City and county pay way better than the state does but positions for my field get a ton of candidates and I'm pretty okay with sticking it out for the next 4 years.

I see. Thanks.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

Turns out we're gonna have a surfeit of cash, but will we be spending it on sheltering the homeless, will we give it to the police, or is it maybe a grant for a waterfront property developer? Only time will tell!

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 28, 2017

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
It will go to the developer, I bet you 5bux I don't have.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

anthonypants posted:

Turns out we're gonna have a surfeit of cash, but will we be spending it on sheltering the homeless, will will we give it to the police, or is maybe a grant for a waterfront property developer? Only time will tell!

Oh boy I hope it goes to helping the needy property developers how else will Portland compete with Seattle in bad decisions!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

Oh boy I hope it goes to helping the needy property developers how else will Portland compete with Seattle in bad decisions!

Dude. If they don't build cheaply constructed high end 'luxury' condos than where will people live? We're in a housing crisis and really the only way out is to build housing for rich people.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Jack2142 posted:

We are done with Bertha if you can't come up with any better ideas.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DevNull posted:

We had our own tunnel-digging projects that I think the last of which completed a few years ago, but they were for sewage and stormwater, and they're good http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2013/11/post_381.html

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

xrunner posted:

Dude. If they don't build cheaply constructed high end 'luxury' condos than where will people live? We're in a housing crisis and really the only way out is to build housing for rich people.

Well yeah in 10 years they will fall into disrepair from being cheaply built thus becoming low income housing!So we're not just fixing the housing problem, were fixing potential housing problems 10 years into the future while the upper middle classes can move into newer luxury condo's and the cycle continues.

DevNull posted:

We shouldn't stop digging with Bertha we just need to keep drilling and make underground Seattle great again!!!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/CaseyJaywork/status/858017879769440256 woof

e: https://twitter.com/BrandiKruse/status/858019075104141312

ee: lmao

http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/feds-nab-black-blocker-who-last-may-day-allegedly-threw-an-unlit-molotov-cocktail-near-police/ posted:

“At approximately 7:40 p.m., a bottle (later identified as a ‘Molotov cocktail’ device) landed near a line of SPD officers. The Molotov cocktail had not been ignited when it was thrown at the officers, but when it landed it caused one of the officers to accidentally drop a flash-bang device, igniting the liquid in the Molotov cocktail and causing a burst of flames” that burned an officer. Baldino’s statement appears to have one important inaccuracy. He states that the Molotov hitting the ground near police “caus[ed]” an officer to accidentally drop the blastball which ignited the Molotov’s fuel. But video evidence appears to show that half a minute elapsed between the time when the Molotov landed in front of police and the time when it ignited.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 28, 2017

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

hahahaha that quote

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I feel like I'm being incinerated just reading that.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

they may be loving evil, but at least their competence can be measured on the level of "keystone kops"

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Jack2142 posted:

We shouldn't stop digging with Bertha we just need to keep drilling and make underground Seattle great again!!!
Best plan.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/dougbrown8/status/858372998516023296

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Portland is crazy pants on the weekends these days. I'm a huge fan.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HEY NONG MAN posted:

https://twitter.com/pdxlawgrrrl/status/858431243234361344
https://twitter.com/dougbrown8/status/858405619673423872

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I don't feel bad for Wheeler: he was pretty much just granted the position, doesn't really seem to have new ideas, and will leave after one term without even trying to run for a second term (just like the last 3 mayors before him). I guess being State Treasury wasn't good enough for his career path.

That said, I would honestly like to see an actual grassroots campaign for the next mayor.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ardennes posted:

I don't feel bad for Wheeler: he was pretty much just granted the position, doesn't really seem to have new ideas, and will leave after one term without even trying to run for a second term (just like the last 3 mayors before him). I guess being State Treasury wasn't good enough for his career path.

That said, I would honestly like to see an actual grassroots campaign for the next mayor.

Yeah. He wants to be governor, but in a mind-boggling miscalculation he somehow didn't notice that Portland mayor is political suicide.

I have a question for the more informed in this thread: I keep seeing references to the city planning to start enforcing tow orders even if vehicles are occupied. Now, clearly, this means they have to get the person in the vehicle to get out first. That doesn't seem like a great use for law enforcement time and knowing PPB it also seems like a great way to wind up with some dead people. Is this bluster or is there really going to be a huge escalation of police harassment of the homeless in the near future?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I would imagine that has to do with RVs that are camped out in places where people don't want there to be RVs.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

I would imagine that has to do with RVs that are camped out in places where people don't want there to be RVs.

Yeah. I get that, because unlike cars I guess RVs don't need to have expired licenses/be disabled for the city to issue a tow notice. What I'm curious about is whether it's bluster or if they're actually planning to follow through on it. It seems like a pretty drastic escalation of police harassment. It seems like it would be really likely to end up with people beaten up/shot when they don't exit the vehicle prior to a tow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xrunner posted:

Yeah. I get that, because unlike cars I guess RVs don't need to have expired licenses/be disabled for the city to issue a tow notice. What I'm curious about is whether it's bluster or if they're actually planning to follow through on it. It seems like a pretty drastic escalation of police harassment. It seems like it would be really likely to end up with people beaten up/shot when they don't exit the vehicle prior to a tow.
Yeah, but they're homeless, and whenever people see homeless, reports of thefts and other minor crimes go up, and then business owners complain to the media. That's where we're at.