Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Tbh im kinda hype for Skyrim because its fun in a laid back way and since I cant apply mods i won't end up just doing that and never playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Zelda not consolie enough for you? I'm just glad to have a game with replay value. Zelda was 10/10 gory every year. But has no replay value unless I wait like 4 years to forget everything.

Zelda was great but I dumped already 125 hours into it in March alone so I've had only really indie games to play in the meantime. It's just nice to have that same Zelda console feeling again.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Skyrim is the most overrated game of all time

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

a.lo posted:

If you liked Zelda you will love Skyrim

but zelda has fun gameplay and an interesting world to explore

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

chaleski posted:

Skyrim is the most overrated game of all time

unironically :yeah:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Skyrim is bad and if you like it you are wrong

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Skyrim is, what, six years old now? Two lovely DLCs and all the sexy mods you can pile on couldn't make that game fun, and I very much doubt that the Switch version will change that. Especially if you already played Breath of the Wild. Oh god, can you imagine coming back to Bethesda games after BotW? If you put a gun to my head and told me to enjoy Skyrim now, I'd probably stick the barrel in my mouth and save you the trouble.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Apparently this is a very divided subject! Interesting

Also to the goon who has wifi problems: Reboot your home router. Yes I know everything else probably works fine, do it anyway.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Skyrim is ok

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bethesda makes some cool settings and worlds but god drat are they not fun to play as a videogame.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Charles Mansion posted:

My switch's wifi performance is loving terrible. It constantly reports DNS errors despite having a strong signal. Downloads get interrupted repeatedly. The eshop loads maybe 25% of the time. Power cycling temporarily fixes the issue sometimes but not always.

Is this something specific to my console or does the switch just have a terrible wifi adapter and/or software?

No you're not the only one I've been lamenting I can't connect to any online stuff in MK8D, I've rebooted my router 3 times already so I'll probably have to buy a lan adapter

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Check your isp

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Skyrim is an OK video game that was good for its time, when open world games were less prevalent, I still play it sometimes

Though imo portability doesn't make up for lack of mod support

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Connection Error

this didn't happen to me at all last night for like 4 hours but it's happening to me constantly today

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Skyrim is a better game than Fallout 4 at least.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
There is no excuse for Skyrim's quality, other than that Bethesda's worlds are wasted on Bethesda. Have you seen all the crazy poo poo in The Elder Scrolls' lore? There's a race of cat-people that ranges between "slightly-hairier human" and "a housecat that can talk" depending on the phases of the moons, and you specifically only get to play as the same kind every time. There's a whole crazy Far East-inspired continent with bloodthirsty snake-men and snow onis in a forever war, but the most you see of that in the games is a mediocre katana.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Skyrim is a better game than Fallout 4 at least.

i would disagree but that's more because i like the setting of fallout a lot more and fallout 4 at least had decent shooting

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Botw spoiled me on open world's so if an open world doesn't make me want to explore it I would rather avoid it like the plague.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Botw spoiled me on open world's so if an open world doesn't make me want to explore it I would rather avoid it like the plague.

i don't think i can play a ubisoft-style "we've marked everything on the map for you so there's no reason to explore on your own" open world ever again

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Mario kart good

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Cardboard Box posted:

i don't think i can play a ubisoft-style "we've marked everything on the map for you so there's no reason to explore on your own" open world ever again

Even gorgeous Horizon was angering to explore after Zelda.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

False both good

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Imagine Breath of the Wild, but 2/3rds of the shrines just don't have spirit orbs at the end, and there are no Korok seeds or any other reasons to actually explore the world. Also, everything is just a little bigger than it should be and Link can't climb. That's Skyrim.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

False both good

Didn't say it wasnt good. Wish it wasn't open world with icon salad exploration.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 29, 2017

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Nephzinho posted:

Started a goon lobby with 150cc and everything standard, no limit on races, etc.
1602-1016-5291

Could use more in this room right now let's race.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I do not even know if that rabbids/mario rpg thing for the switch is real

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

yeah i've been meaning to get to that because i heard so many good things but seeing that it was very much That type of open world game that i'm very tired of tempered my excitement and zelda didn't help. i wanna play it eventually but i think i need more time after zelda before i do.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

a.lo posted:

I do not even know if that rabbids/mario rpg thing for the switch is real

Fever dream. Ignore it forever.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Scratch-O posted:

Imagine Breath of the Wild, but 2/3rds of the shrines just don't have spirit orbs at the end, and there are no Korok seeds or any other reasons to actually explore the world. Also, everything is just a little bigger than it should be and Link can't climb. That's Skyrim.

Thieves guild quest is cool

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Is there a way to see your actual time spent on a game and not the vague "more than 50 hours" or whatever?

Real hurthling! posted:

Arms uses motion to punch too. It has an accello

In that case a Switch Sports game would be more than possible.

LethalGeek posted:

I've never played Skyrim so I'm genuinely asking: Is it going to still be fun after Zelda the best game ever? Most western RPGs feel like utter slogs to me which is why I never bothered.

I've played through Skyrim and I honestly could never have gotten through it if I tried playing it for the first time after playing BotW. BotW is just outright better and the open world feels more open even without the "why yes you *can* climb that non-shrine/beast thing" freedom.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah i've been meaning to get to that because i heard so many good things but seeing that it was very much That type of open world game that i'm very tired of tempered my excitement and zelda didn't help. i wanna play it eventually but i think i need more time after zelda before i do.

Its has far more handmade unique content than any ubigame.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

that quest has such horrible writing

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah i'm aware! i'm sure it's much better than watch dogs or what have you.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

How do you set up a tournament so it's unending and always open? I want a room for me friends and I to race in

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Real hurthling! posted:

Is it $60 cool?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

The set piece 'hand made' content was great. The boring open world that quickly turned into a time tax. To get to the fun was bad. Searching for icons was really bad. Them not doing anything unless you searched a lot and were bored for a long time was the baddest.

Like the game. Wish it was linear. Or had a hub system.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Scratch-O posted:

Is it $60 cool?

No.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Skyrim is a very different kind of game than BotW though. It's strengths are more in lore, world building, there's a history and a story to the places you're going and you can learn about them and read in game books and stuff. It's not as good as Morrowind but it's still alright. The actual landscapes are pretty cool and varied, and while most of the dungeons are boring and samey there are some real gems and many of the settlements are pretty cool to explore. The gameplay itself sucks and when you dig into it you find that the world isn't as handcrafted as it originally appears.

I don't have any desire to play it without mods but if you somehow missed it and are OK with the combat sucking you can probably get a few dozen hours of fun out of it before the cracks show too deep.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LethalGeek posted:

I've never played Skyrim so I'm genuinely asking: Is it going to still be fun after Zelda the best game ever? Most western RPGs feel like utter slogs to me which is why I never bothered.

Skyrim is a game where there's 2 X infinity things to do, but they're all pretty boring and shallow.

For some people just having all that stuff to do and having a big world is enough.

Basically, Skyrim is more like a dollhouse or a set of lego than it is a traditional game. You don't really play Skyrim. You play with Skyrim. You use Skyrim to act out your own fantasy tales.

If you want to just play a game, Skyrim is bad. And even then, Skyrim without mods is pretty limited.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Bethesda makes some cool settings and worlds but god drat are they not fun to play as a videogame.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

False both good

I'm trying to play Horizon through my constant anger at being unable to climb poo poo and no hang glider. Dinosaur murder helps calm the rage but only for a time

Bombadilillo posted:

Like the game. Wish it was linear. Or had a hub system.

BotW to all other open world games: "shoulda just stayed linear bitch"

• Locked thread