Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

cvnvcnv posted:

Ronald Regan said something to the effect of, world peace would require an alien threat, something to squarely put us all in the same boat. Despite all the Nixon stuff, I always saw the squid as a huge Regan fingerprint and the loss of it in the film gave away a lot of the flavor of the times of the story and its creation, and the sheer weirdness would have been lovely to see. :shrug:

Yeah but that would have been such a hard left turn for normal people that it would have assuredly tanked the film. I would have loved to see it on the big screen though. The nuke scene worked just as well, but didn't have the same logic behind it that makes you go "Yeah, that would totally work for a short term peace solution." that a simple nuke wouldn't have.

Watchman is still a solid adaptation despite the change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Watchmen movie was made after it was clear that, to the surprise of many, nuclear deterrence actually worked. Turns out we didn't need a squid, so neither did the movie.

Yeah it's a movie about superheroes winning the Vietnam War and keeping Nixon in power for almost 20 years, though.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I guess the world order being maintained by the looming threat of a terrorist once used by the US to defeat communism in a proxy war basically scans.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I've always liked it because it was take off on a direct quote from Ronald Reagan, where that loony old man wondered out loud if the US and USSR would put their differences aside if aliens invaded.

I'm in the middle of the Clothes Have No Emperor so I should've remembered that, but I guess Richard Nixon's visit to Burger King stuck with me more.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Ferrinus posted:

I guess the world order being maintained by the looming threat of a terrorist once used by the US to defeat communism in a proxy war basically scans.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

Yeah it's a movie about superheroes winning the Vietnam War and keeping Nixon in power for almost 20 years, though.

Not totally sure what you're getting at here.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective Dog Dick posted:

I'm in the middle of the Clothes Have No Emperor so I should've remembered that, but I guess Richard Nixon's visit to Burger King stuck with me more.

Nixon is a way livelier, funnier and all around more interesting character than Reagan, a smarmy pig whose senility people mistook for profundity. So I don't blame you.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Not totally sure what you're getting at here.

What happened in the real world does not correlate directly to the plot of Watchmen. Although I should add it also functions as a commentary; but the surface text of Watchmen is that the presence of superheroes is actually a net negative on humanity's chances of prosperity and ultimately survival.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 29, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

What happened in the real world does not correlate directly to the plot of Watchmen. Although I should add it also functions as a commentary; but the surface text of Watchmen is that the presence of superheroes is actually a net negative on humanity's chances of prosperity and ultimately survival.

Right, I'm talking about how it functions as commentary. I don't disagree that it would be fun to see a giant squid explode or whatever.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Right, I'm talking about how it functions as commentary. I don't disagree that it would be fun to see a giant squid explode or whatever.

I'm not expressing an opinion on squid appropriateness, mind you; although I hadn't thought about what Ferrinus points out in his post.

Ferrinus posted:

If you mean to say Bin Laden is Dr. Manhattan (a striking thought), I feel like that only really works if jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NikkolasKing posted:

I take this as the usual whining about the DCEU but I'm just curious, how have the DC movies performed financially? has there actaully been a bomb?

They made a ton of money but they didn't make as much money as The Avengers or Age of Ultron or Captain America: Civil War and people can't help but compare they two franchises so they've decided that the DCEU is losing the fight and their box office returns are disappointing. If they weren't being compared to the biggest MCU films they'd be unequivocal successes.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Suicide Squad made like 800m and won an Oscar. It also is a complete pile of poo poo. There's nothing contradictory there.
"Suicide Squad has more Oscars than ..." was trending on Twitter for a while :v:

https://twitter.com/BadGuyUte/status/836048083305840641

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Detective Dog Dick posted:

God all those bits about Nixon approaching strangers weirdly, I love this book and i am sad I'm almost done with it.

EDIT: ^^^ But that's ultimately how things work in business, especially in Hollywood. Being second place is no prize, and the only real contest is beating your competitors. WB has been shuffling execs and creative staff alot lately in response to not meeting their targets re BvA, and that's the only metric you can really ascertain (I mean just look at the math H-wood uses), a particular studio's response to their latest movie. Suicide Squad did well, but compared to their direct competitors on the Marvel side, which I guess might be GoTG, it's second, even if not by much.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 29, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/mang0ld/status/858058912288841728

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/4eyedRaven/status/857854793359818752

Cavill is a goddamn treasure :allears:

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They made a ton of money but they didn't make as much money as The Avengers or Age of Ultron or Captain America: Civil War and people can't help but compare they two franchises so they've decided that the DCEU is losing the fight and their box office returns are disappointing. If they weren't being compared to the biggest MCU films they'd be unequivocal successes

I agree that comparing the DCEU to the MCU needs to stop, but that's really not the only thing going on. BvS didn't only underperform compared to Avengers, it also underperformed compared to Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises. That has to sting. (Imagine how the internet will react if Infinity War doesn't crack a billion)

It isn't fair, and it doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the film, but it's not exactly uncommon either. Fantastic Beasts wasn't exactly a box office flop, but it performed lower than any of the original films... of course people are going to talk about that. Fate of the Furious had the biggest global opening in history, but it didn't crack 100mil in the US, so people are giving it a hard time. Amazing Spider-man 2 'only' made 700 million dollars -- which apparently was low enough to tank the franchise. Most movies would cream themselves over numbers like that, but for a Spider-man film it was a failure.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that studios measure success on a sliding scale. Despite BvS being WB's third highest-grossing superhero film ever, they probably had expected it to do better than it ended up doing, and that can't help but shape the conversation.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm watching Suicide Squad for the first time since it came out. The Joker is much better than I remember. Leto's playing him up like an Golden Age movie gangster. It's really fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Had all that poo poo about Leto's not been so much in the news, I might've enjoyed his performance. But as it stands, all I see is a pretentious dweeb trying too hard, and stealing his character from Ledger. Same drat voice. What an rear end in a top hat.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I just watched Suicide Squad for the first time the other night and it was a toilet movie. Is there a rundown somewhere about what went wrong? There's no reason it should have been that bad.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Had all that poo poo about Leto's not been so much in the news, I might've enjoyed his performance. But as it stands, all I see is a pretentious dweeb trying too hard, and stealing his character from Ledger. Same drat voice. What an rear end in a top hat.

I can see them having the same voice when they calmly talk, but their laughs are different. Leto is straight up doing an impression of Snakes from the Angels With Broken Wings bit from Home Alone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Laughs are different sure. But I dunno, Leto seems like a legit bad human being so I can't really get behind anything he does.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

I'm with Detective No 27... Leto's Joker has grown on me. And whatever its flaws, Suicide Squad did some really good world-building. It made the DCEU feel large and lived-in.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked when a laser shot that tanker and no one really cared.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Laughs are different sure. But I dunno, Leto seems like a legit bad human being so I can't really get behind anything he does.

It's up for debate how much of that was real and how much was just manufactured to be viral, but I feel eh about it.

It wasn't a Joker focused movie like Batman '89 or The Dark Knight, so I never really weighed much of my opinion on the film based on the character anyway. I'm pretty sure Cesar Romero has more screentime in the 60s movie.

Funny, the Mummy reboot is going for Marvel shared universe feel, but it looks to have a lot in common with Suicide Squad.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's up for debate how much of that was real and how much was just manufactured to be viral, but I feel eh about it.

It wasn't a Joker focused movie like Batman '89 or The Dark Knight, so I never really weighed much of my opinion on the film based on the character anyway. I'm pretty sure Cesar Romero has more screentime in the 60s movie.

Funny, the Mummy reboot is going for Marvel shared universe feel, but it looks to have a lot in common with Suicide Squad.

Well it pretty much stole the main villain

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Burkion posted:

Well it pretty much stole the main villain

I didn't know Viola Davis was in The Mummy!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guardians 2 was pretty drat enjoyable. As usual the quality of Marvel films is inversely proportional to how much they reference the shared story.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

How so?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I saw it and it sucked rear end.

It was real bad

Just like the first one then, I will pass I think

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looks like I have to watch GOTG2 now.

FYI, the guy who posts this also thinks Trump will kill the antichrist and calls liberals/Democrats "lucifers".

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah but one of his mates supports Liverpool so he can't be all that bad.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Drastically misrepresenting the time it takes to get to Mars, for one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Martman posted:

Drastically misrepresenting the time it takes to get to Mars, for one.

That piece of poo poo.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I never really thought about it but CIA Agent Jimmy Olsen in BvS is probably a Red Son reference, isn't it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Any actor who does lovely things to people to get into a role is a huge idiot.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

NikkolasKing posted:

Question.

There's been a lot of talk lately about a lack of advertisement for Wonder Woman. The validity of that isn't important to me. One guy was telling me that this lack of ads is because "they know the movie will bomb."

I know this sounds a bit odd, but it feels like Wonder Woman has been/is getting a lot of 'promotion' if not a typical sense of advertisement. The toys are at Wal-mart, they've got ads on their TVs in-store, they're getting end cap displays, big cardboard signs, it's about on par with when BvS was getting last year. The clothes and collectibles and posters are all out there. The Easter selection this year had a visible WW assortment right next to Batman, Spidey and Iron Man.

But I think another problem, too, is that BvS, Wonder Woman and JL are/were all films that felt like they were being promoted a lot more in different ways for the months leading up to the release. It seems like between the first teaser images, Youtube reaction videos, news articles, updates, promo trailers, exclusive looks, etc. we've been seeing that seems to just make everyone aware an actual WW solo-film is happening since late 2015. It's been such a long-running promotional campaign with ALL the DC stuff (and even some of the Marvel stuff) that I have lost the feel of when things are actually getting released.

It feels like we've been promoting WW character in 2 separate upcoming films at one time at any given moment for about 2 years, too. I'm sure that it all probably helps in building up general audience awareness and familiarity before the release of the film, maybe to the point that a larger media blitz will only come within the first week before release to remind people, "That movie is finally coming out, go see it."

Marvel character stuff likely isn't much better in this regard, but Marvel, Sony and Fox feel like they have a different pre-release hype cycle they work off of than WB has done with their last 4 big superhero films. I don't know what DC/WB will do once WW comes out, though, because they don't feel like they've got much in the way of the same type of promotion and hype machine running for their post-JL film universe, yet. Probably one of the summer comic-cons will have a big panel that gives us a promotional teaser trailer for the next Batman or they have a generic "2icide Squad" teaser or something.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

I know this sounds a bit odd, but it feels like Wonder Woman has been/is getting a lot of 'promotion' if not a typical sense of advertisement. The toys are at Wal-mart, they've got ads on their TVs in-store, they're getting end cap displays, big cardboard signs, it's about on par with when BvS was getting last year. The clothes and collectibles and posters are all out there. The Easter selection this year had a visible WW assortment right next to Batman, Spidey and Iron Man.

But I think another problem, too, is that BvS, Wonder Woman and JL are/were all films that felt like they were being promoted a lot more in different ways for the months leading up to the release. It seems like between the first teaser images, Youtube reaction videos, news articles, updates, promo trailers, exclusive looks, etc. we've been seeing that seems to just make everyone aware an actual WW solo-film is happening since late 2015. It's been such a long-running promotional campaign with ALL the DC stuff (and even some of the Marvel stuff) that I have lost the feel of when things are actually getting released.

It feels like we've been promoting WW character in 2 separate upcoming films at one time at any given moment for about 2 years, too. I'm sure that it all probably helps in building up general audience awareness and familiarity before the release of the film, maybe to the point that a larger media blitz will only come within the first week before release to remind people, "That movie is finally coming out, go see it."

Marvel character stuff likely isn't much better in this regard, but Marvel, Sony and Fox feel like they have a different pre-release hype cycle they work off of than WB has done with their last 4 big superhero films. I don't know what DC/WB will do once WW comes out, though, because they don't feel like they've got much in the way of the same type of promotion and hype machine running for their post-JL film universe, yet. Probably one of the summer comic-cons will have a big panel that gives us a promotional teaser trailer for the next Batman or they have a generic "2icide Squad" teaser or something.

Good points but about your last comment, is there definitely a Batfleck solo film coming? I want that so bad.

I wonder what it would be about, though. I just saw Under the Red Hood and it was fantastic and I'd be okay with a live-action version. On the other hand, I don't think DCEU Batman works with that storyline. You need a more "idealistic" Batman if you are going to have him face off against a "darker" Batman like Jason or Azrael or whoever.

Anyway, that's why I have no idea about what to do with a Batman movie but I still want one.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Eh, a Batman that's on a path of reform from the brutal rampaging murderous antagonist in BvS, and who needs to establish a new standard for open heroics both for himself and for the others, might have a good amount of storytelling potential if you introduce a former apprentice who's gone even 'darker' than he did.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They could do one where this mysterious new Red Hood is 100% non-lethal and idealistic and since he only goes after criminal/shady folks anyway the police/general populace starts to like him more than Batman which angers him. He can still be Jason Todd/someone out to get revenge on Batman but all Bats' allies just think he's being paranoid.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If you mean to say Bin Laden is Dr. Manhattan (a striking thought), I feel like that only really works if jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Or, pardon the reduction, gross interference in international affairs came back to bite us in the rear end and in the wake of that the powers that be believe they're justified in taking extreme measures for future security, but of course "nothing ever ends".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've still sort of felt that had they killed off Batman instead of Superman in BvS, you'd have an out for a 'new' Batman direction with a Dick Grayson Batman that gives you an excuse to do a totally different take on the Batman-type civilian alter-ego character but keep him the same sort of vigilante character.

Truth be told, Robins aren't as sort of cemented in the minds of audiences at the cinematic level, so you'd have an extra bit of room to explore the mythos through a different perspective, non-traditional casting, or a more modern take on the origins of the character. That being said, a Batman movie that's about him being willing to pass the mantle over to Dick Grayson is a possibility, or him simply assuming the role when he and Bruce both realize that Bruce's done as an everyday vigilante/superhero or Bruce has bigger JL stuff that he has to be 100% invested in.

Following that, a movie of Grayson Batman who is fighting Red Hood Jason could make for a different direction of the Red Hood story, too. Instead of it being a story about a Batman vs. a Robin, it's a story of two jealous and envious estranged 'brothers' who have outgrown their youthful personas, traded them in for more mature identities and are fighting one another over what the legacy of Batman has done to and given to both of them. There's a different sort of drama there.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 29, 2017

• Locked thread