Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The time travel elements are not really central to the main character goals in Back to the Future. I watch tons of movies that involve people having sex with their mom that have little to no time travel involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Lobok posted:

I've travelled across an ocean of stars to gently caress one of your minimum wage coffee pourers.

I mean, it's not like you bum around space and gently caress an Arcturian prince.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 28, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The time travel elements are not really central to the main character goals in Back to the Future. I watch tons of movies that involve people having sex with their mom that have little to no time travel involved.

Are you kidding? Those are the most inventive time travel stories of all because they rely on viewer input to fast-forward and rewind.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lobok posted:

I've travelled across an ocean of stars to gently caress one of your minimum wage coffee pourers.

I'm impressed by how much Guardians of the Galaxy can really be reduced.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lobok posted:

This is nearly the plot of Ziltoid The Omnicient.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is nearly the plot of Ziltoid The Omnicient.

You know what they say, Earth Girls Are Easy.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Just watch Godzilla vs King Ghidorah for all your time travel wants

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

‘I’m excited for her to come to America’: Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins reveals sequel idea

“I’m excited for her to come to America and become the Wonder Woman we are all familiar with from having grown up around her as an American superhero,” Jenkins told the Sun in a recent interview. “I’d like to bring her a little farther along into the future and have a fun, exciting storyline that is its own thing. Wonder Woman 1 is so much about her becoming the person she is. I can’t wait to spring forward with who she is and have another great standalone superhero film.”

Jenkins first wanted to make Wonder Woman a decade ago. She grew up admiring Richard Donner’s Superman, and she wanted to see an origin story for Diana, princess of the Amazons.

“I always thought the origin story would be the great way to go,” she says. “I love origin superhero stories and I love the simplicity you can have with that journey. Also, there was the fact that no one had done her story and the fact that I love her. So it was a treasure trove of potential.”

Later this year, Gal Gadot will reprise the heroine in Justice League. But Jenkins tells fans there’s plenty to be excited about in DC’s upcoming film slate.

“I think there’s a lot of directors doing cool things,” she says. “I know the storylines for a lot of the films they are working on and they are all vastly different, with very different tones and very different styles of storytelling. ... Jason (Momoa) is off to shoot Aquaman right now and that’s such a cool story. It’s got its own separate vibe. I’m excited to see each of these films.”

Jenkins isn’t ruling herself out of directing any of the other planned comic book pics if Wonder Woman 2 doesn’t get going right away.

And the Rock wants a piece of her, too, although she might not know that yet.

“Patty has that really cool edge,” Dwayne Johnson told the Associated Press, revealing that he has her on his shortlist to direct the Disney pic Jungle Cruise. “I felt like she could be a really cool choice for a movie like Jungle Cruise. Plus, you know what? I’m just a big fan.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/04/27/im-excited-for-her-to-come-to-america-wonder-woman-director-patty-jenkins-reveals-sequel-idea

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
the best time travel movie is Groundhog Day

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Is Guardians 2 out in the US yet? Because I saw it yesterday and would love to chat about it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

e X posted:

Is Guardians 2 out in the US yet?

Nah not for another week.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The Cameo posted:

You could replace the references to time travel and the future with references to space and other planets and not much changes.

Of all the loving dumb horseshit takes you guys come up with, this is probably the worst yet. Well done.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

e X posted:

Is Guardians 2 out in the US yet? Because I saw it yesterday and would love to chat about it.

I saw it and it sucked rear end.

It was real bad

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I saw it and it sucked rear end.

It was real bad

It's like a big beautiful shiny bus full of happy charismatic people that just sits in the parking lot spinning its wheels

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's like a big beautiful shiny bus full of happy charismatic people that just sits in the parking lot spinning its wheels

Pretty much yeah. Just completely videogamey and weightless and underwritten. Chris Pratt doesn't even really get to do any of his charming wisecracking stuff, except for maybe a couple lines. Mostly it's just him having daddy issues.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Question.

There's been a lot of talk lately about a lack of advertisement for Wonder Woman. The validity of that isn't important to me. One guy was telling me that this lack of ads is because "they know the movie will bomb."

I take this as the usual whining about the DCEU but I'm just curious, how have the DC movies performed financially? has there actaully been a bomb?

I found this article proclaiming doom and gloom when I tried to look into this stuff myself.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Question.

There's been a lot of talk lately about a lack of advertisement for Wonder Woman. The validity of that isn't important to me. One guy was telling me that this lack of ads is because "they know the movie will bomb."

I take this as the usual whining about the DCEU but I'm just curious, how have the DC movies performed financially? has there actaully been a bomb?

I found this article proclaiming doom and gloom when I tried to look into this stuff myself.

They've made a shitload of money. Like, a lot.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That article appears to be from before Suicide Squad became the movie that brought the summer 2016 box office out of its slump, to the point that WB greenlit not just a sequel but a spinoff too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

They've made a shitload of money. Like, a lot.

Figured as much.

The MSJ posted:

That article appears to be from before Suicide Squad became the movie that brought the summer 2016 box office out of its slump, to the point that WB greenlit not just a sequel but a spinoff too.

I haven't seen it but isn't it like, really bad? Even the people in here seem to hate it.

Then again, the Bayformer movies are the scourge of existence according to the Internet but still make bank. So I guess it doesn't matter if SS was all that bad.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Suicide Squad made like 800m and won an Oscar. It also is a complete pile of poo poo. There's nothing contradictory there.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Question.

It can be argued that BvS performed below expectations - but nobody knows what the actual internal forecasting was, everyone just assumed "if it's Batman fighting Superman, it should make over a billion dollars, just because Batman", which kind of ignores that the two Batman movies that did gross over a billion came out in a time where there weren't three to five big superhero movies a year (in fact, in 2016, there were six major ones: Deadpool, BvS, X-Men Apocalypse, CapAm: CW, Suicide Squad, and Doctor Strange). In comparison, in 2012, there was The Avengers and Amazing Spidey, and that was the whole year - technically you could count Men In Black as a comic book movie, but audiences don't think of those comics at all. In 2008, there was... Iron Man. (also Hellboy 2 and The Spirit, but like I said, major. As in "non comics readers would recognize this name" major, which would maybe disqualify Deadpool, but that name sure as hell had more recognition to 2016 audiences than Hellboy or The Spirit would to 2008 ones.)

In all likelihood, though, they probably expected BvS to perform a little bit better, and Suicide Squad to perform a little worse than they did. I very much doubt anyone was predicting Squad would have one of the longer runs at #1 last year. I believe Deadpool is the only movie that held on longer, which I think was six weeks to Squad's five? Outside of worldwide, where Your Name spent like loving nine weeks straight at the top of Japan's box office (out of like eleven or twelve weeks total at #1), obliterating any other major market release's run.

But the movies are tidily profitable, especially since - at least for BvS - a lot of the movie's costs were counteracted by product placement like Jeep and Aston Martin, etc.

Jeep alone probably ended up paying for that entire opening sequence, since there's about five "hero shots" of that thing dodging rolling debris and taking sharp-rear end turns and getting through without a scratch.

I imagine Justice League will have similar amounts of product placement scattered through the parts of the movie where it's not in whatever weird pit the trailers have them in. Although I would love to see what exorbitant price they put on that Rick & Morty episode playing on Barry's TV as part of the old business accounting trick of slapping a gigantic cost on things the conglomerate already owns, and thus really costs nothing to use.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Don't discuss GoTG2 in this thread please. Save it for the official thread.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You can't tell me what do.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sounds like it will be a nice time at the movies then.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Two new WW TV spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsJeu11shJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9waCtSVoZ0

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sentinel Red posted:

Of all the loving dumb horseshit takes you guys come up with, this is probably the worst yet. Well done.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but the "Terminator but with the time travel replaced by space travel" that Cameo alluded to actually does exists.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Practically nothing would change about Superman if he came from the future instead of Krypton.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Toady posted:

Practically nothing would change about Superman if he came from the future instead of Krypton.

Red Son was an interesting Superman concept.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

Red Son was an interesting Superman concept.

poo poo, I was just about to type this. Him being from the future is kind of a spoiler but oh well.

But yes it was good and one of the first comics I ever read.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its 14 years old, I think statute of limitations has expired, and lucky dog thay was a starter comic for you.

I got gifted the Return of Phoenix or whatever that garbage saga was called as my first.

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.
WB is experimenting with their marketing. They tried putting huge spoilers in the trailer for BvS, having trailers that were better than the movie with SS, and now taking 6 months off with WW.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

What normal human being wants to spend six months being hard sold one thing

Hell, what normal human being wants to spend six months being sold anything

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't think the idea is for any single person to absorb every commercial and trailer and web ad during that period unless they actively seek to do so.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Guardians of the galaxy 2 is fun and a good time

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

In general they also really wanted the alien conspiracy plot.

I like the alien angle. It makes sense that in a book concerned with the political implications of superheroes (Dr. Manhattan being used as a nuclear deterrent, Rorschach being a cryptofascist), the event that ostensibly unites humanity is an apolitical, fantastical threat that raises no unsettling questions for how nations or people have conducted themselves. It's like Superman going from facing off with corrupt businessmen and negligent mine owners in his early days to talking monkeys and space pixies and poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective Dog Dick posted:

I like the alien angle. It makes sense that in a book concerned with the political implications of superheroes (Dr. Manhattan being used as a nuclear deterrent, Rorschach being a cryptofascist), the event that ostensibly unites humanity is an apolitical, fantastical threat that raises no unsettling questions for how nations or people have conducted themselves. It's like Superman going from facing off with corrupt businessmen and negligent mine owners in his early days to talking monkeys and space pixies and poo poo.

I've always liked it because it was take off on a direct quote from Ronald Reagan, where that loony old man wondered out loud if the US and USSR would put their differences aside if aliens invaded.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Watchmen movie was made after it was clear that, to the surprise of many, nuclear deterrence actually worked. Turns out we didn't need a squid, so neither did the movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but the "Terminator but with the time travel replaced by space travel" that Cameo alluded to actually does exists.

I was going to type up something about how you could easily do a Terminator that's 99% the same that's an alien assassin sent to Earth to kill an alien princess who doesn't know she is but is being protected by an alien soldier... and then I realized that's literally the plot of that terrible Mila Kunis/Channing Tatum movie I couldn't sit through.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Watchmen movie was made after it was clear that, to the surprise of many, nuclear deterrence actually worked. Turns out we didn't need a squid, so neither did the movie.

Ronald Regan said something to the effect of, world peace would require an alien threat, something to squarely put us all in the same boat. Despite all the Nixon stuff, I always saw the squid as a huge Regan fingerprint and the loss of it in the film gave away a lot of the flavor of the times of the story and its creation, and the sheer weirdness would have been lovely to see. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

cvnvcnv posted:

Ronald Regan said something to the effect of, world peace would require an alien threat, something to squarely put us all in the same boat. Despite all the Nixon stuff, I always saw the squid as a huge Regan fingerprint and the loss of it in the film gave away a lot of the flavor of the times of the story and its creation, and the sheer weirdness would have been lovely to see. :shrug:

Yeah, it's interesting to revisit the comic as an artifact of its time. But the comic is wrong: you don't need an alien invader to end the threat of nuclear annihilation. It's one thing to have that misapprehension in a historical work and another to recreate it. Better to respond to it, as the movie does.

Also, and I appreciate this is a matter of taste, I like the conceit of having Dr. Manhattan as the only superhuman, which makes it weird to just drop in legitimate psychic powers at the end.

• Locked thread