Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Kaiden was even supposed to be a gay romance option in the first game but they chickened out. You can find unused audio clips and they're hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

The benefactor is... YOU! *shows cover of 2006 Time magazine*

The benefactor is going to out Kai Leng, Kai Leng.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The benefactor is Suvi, who it turns out actually is God.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
No Ryder, you are the Benefactor.
And then Sara was Cerberus.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
They could have it be Saren. Whooaaaa.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DancingShade posted:

It's the council of humanity, on the moon.

Glory to mankind.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The conversations in this game remind me of what idiots think Joss Whedon dialogue sounds like, only Joss Whedon dialogue is actually cool and good.

I remember how much I loved Alistair and then I was told he was actually based off Xander or something.

It made sense.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
It's true, making wise-cracks in a Sci-Fi/Fantasy setting is FORBIDDEN unless you've attended the Mutant Enemy School of Literature.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
The Benefactor is that Volus who got rich on pre-fab housing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DancingShade posted:

If the benefactor is good, I promise they own a katana. If the benefactors evil, I promise they own an evil katana.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The conversations in this game remind me of what idiots think Joss Whedon dialogue sounds like, only Joss Whedon dialogue is actually cool and good.

do you know what happens to an Angaran when it's struck by lightning?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zero VGS posted:

Kaiden was even supposed to be a gay romance option in the first game but they chickened out. You can find unused audio clips and they're hilarious.

There are same-sex romance voice lines for both Ashley and Kaiden in the game files. I think it's unclear whether or not they ever actually planned to use them or just had the voice actors read for each part.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Here's an idea:

Maybe the game is better if you imagine you're never actually playing as Ryder. You're playing as SAM.

You have a goal - to restart habitation in the Helius Cluster and to make the Andromeda Initiative work. Your problem: You're just an AI and can't go anywhere. You have to rely on a group of runaways and incompetents to do even simple tasks. The main vessel for your exploration, the tip of the spear, is an indecisive imbecile who requires your actual intervention just to make simple decisions. This human wants to gently caress everything that moves and has to be constantly and explicitly reminded not to burn or freeze themselves. Not only that, whatever that scourge stuff is, it's loving with your perceptions because your human just talked to a colonist whose head was spinning, and before that they had a conversation with an invisible crew member.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

There are same-sex romance voice lines for both Ashley and Kaiden in the game files. I think it's unclear whether or not they ever actually planned to use them or just had the voice actors read for each part.

Bioware's gone on and off record commenting that for ME1, it was just both VAs reading everything due to an awkward flagging system.

So, mystery solved and that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The real question regarding ME:1 is "Why couldn't we romance the Mako?".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Robocist.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

Robocist.

Good point. We should have been able to romance that AI computer bank on the citadel too.

"Hi honey, I'm here to refill your liquid cooling reservoir."

bow-wow chicka chicka bow-wow

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taear posted:

They could have it be Saren. Whooaaaa.

If you've read the books (don't do this), Saren's apprentice as a Spectre is in Andromeda. It's Avitus, the gay turian Spectre whose boyfriend was the Pathfinder.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Next time can we just get mass effect : DOOM ?

that would be cool.

SAM: The Tempuratu-

:black101: : Breaks Screen

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

The real question regarding ME:1 is "Why couldn't we romance the Mako?".

The true resolution of the Synthesis ending.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Cythereal posted:

If you've read the books (don't do this), Saren's apprentice as a Spectre is in Andromeda. It's Avitus, the gay turian Spectre whose boyfriend was the Pathfinder.

No.

I'm starting to realise that ME:A isn't actually Star Trek Voyager. It's the Star Wars Prequels. Stop making everyone related to stuff from the originals dammit!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Is this a new book or an old one?

As a fan of TIM and ME2 in general I have really wanted to get around to reading the Karpyshyn book that is referenced near the start of 2 when Miranda and Tali have an argument.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I've almost reached level 70 and I am reaching a point where I am having actual fun playing the game. It may have been the patch or it may be just switching up my playstyle from my former favorite (infiltrator with single shot abilities) to Engineer Explodabonanza, or it may be that since I've played the game before I now know to just zone out when doing tasks. Or just that I'm ignoring planetscanning now. Completely.

It feels like there's a reason to invest in every skill tree at the higher levels, since there are bonuses in some of the trees that work passively so you don't have to switch up your abilities any. I'd still love to see just a single more ability at least past the 3 you get without switching, though.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Can you not complete Ryder Family Secrets after completing Meridian? :ughh:

E: nothing a reload couldn't fix :v:

Houdini fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 29, 2017

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

evilmiera posted:

I've almost reached level 70 and I am reaching a point where I am having actual fun playing the game.

put that on the back of the box lol

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Did they fix the character creation yet or is it still just the 9 presets?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

Before MEA i only used them to grind out the combos achievements.

In MEA I only used them to plink Ascendent orbs. Every other time I keep them around for their squad ammo/powers.

Not those ones, I mean the d-pad "move here" ones. I'll tell Mordin to Incinerate and everything.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The Benefactor is that Volus who got rich on pre-fab housing.

Nah, Ryder and SAM will discover the Benefactor's identity in the form of an encrypted audio file deep in the core of the Nexus.

"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite knockoff of the Citadel"

But the timeline doesn't match up you say? thats because it was Clone Shepard

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

fruit on the bottom posted:

Nah, Ryder and SAM will discover the Benefactor's identity in the form of an encrypted audio file deep in the core of the Nexus.

"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite knockoff of the Citadel"

But the timeline doesn't match up you say? thats because it was Clone Shepard

I mean, whoever said there had to be just one?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ashpanash posted:

Here's an idea:

Maybe the game is better if you imagine you're never actually playing as Ryder. You're playing as SAM.

Take it one step further. You watch playerRyder die. SAM takes over the brain, on-screen with that neat little shot of necrotized neurons being rebuilt. pRyder is SAM's full-on meat puppet.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DancingShade posted:

The "Benefactor" is totally going to be some writer's Mary Sue puppet master self insert writer pet character so obviously it can't be some NPC with a famous actor face/voice.

based on how the Andromeda Initiative turned out versus how it was advertised, I can say without a shadow of a doubt the benefactor was Ja Rule.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ashpanash posted:

Here's an idea:

You have a goal - to restart habitation in the Helius Cluster and to make the Andromeda Initiative work. Your problem: You're just an AI and can't go anywhere. You have to rely on a group of runaways and incompetents to do even simple tasks. The main vessel for your exploration, the tip of the spear, is an indecisive imbecile who requires your actual intervention just to make simple decisions. This human wants to gently caress everything that moves and has to be constantly and explicitly reminded not to burn or freeze themselves. Not only that, whatever that scourge stuff is, it's loving with your perceptions because your human just talked to a colonist whose head was spinning, and before that they had a conversation with an invisible crew member.

Love it! Somebody make this game.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I want a kai leng spinoff that plays like Metal Gear Rising. There. I've said it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mass effect fields, son!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

Did they fix the character creation yet or is it still just the 9 presets?

no its still significantly worse than DAI

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

fruit on the bottom posted:

I want a kai leng spinoff that plays like Metal Gear Rising. There. I've said it.
Oh poo poo. Swap Kai Leng and Jetstream Sam and ME3 becomes much better while MGR becomes much worse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DrNutt posted:

LMAO... I guarantee every last person who came into this thread and bitched that the space sudoku doesn't recognize alternative solutions has done this. I refuse to believe otherwise without a screenshot that proves it.

:agreed: I didn't see a puzzle that legitimately had an alternate solution, which is why I said the puzzles are "logic" - each one has only one square that any symbol could go into

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Decryption keys are an alternate solution. :colbert:

Keep yer fancy logicks outta my space shooter/alien banging sim!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NikkolasKing posted:

Is this a new book or an old one?

Old one. In one of the old books, Saren had an apprentice named Avitus who he taught to have a similar ruthless, brutal mentality. Avitus eventually tired of the Council's hypocrisy and using the Spectres to do their dirty work and left for parts unknown. Andromeda uses the character from the book and shows where he went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Does Andromeda also show us what happened to the Salarian merchant on Feros, the non-corrupt cop-san on Noveria, and the guy who asks for his wife's body? I mean it's really important to find out what happened to them.