Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Trivia posted:

If a modder could dump all obnoxious leader calls to a small popup on the side of the screen, I'd be forever grateful.

Half the time its just a long drawn out message that is basically just a statement you can't even respond too and has no meaning if you don't read it, haha. I think they got confused thinking that people played this for a history lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Can I rant about Spain for a bit? Because Spain is commonly seen as one of the worst civs in the game, but on the surface level I don't even understand the abilities' synergy towards either what Firaxis claims is a Religious Victory or with each other. El Escorial, for instance, gives inquisitors an extra charge and all units +4 strength towards players following other religions (both regular and religious combat). That sounds useful, but... it doesn't so much help you win so much as it makes it harder for others to win a religious victory, and while your missionaries and apostles may be stronger against other missionaries and apostles, I'm pretty sure military units can block and/or destroy them since they're just civilian units. Players don't have to let you spread religion to them, especially if they know you're going for a religious victory. It just makes it harder for other people to convert you to their religion.

But then you have conquistadors, which is somehow the best part of Spain. They get a nice +10 combat strength if a religious civilian unit is with them, but their main draw is that if they're next to a city you conquered, that city converts to your religion, which sounds great except... that doesn't help you win a religious victory. You win a religious victory by converting other players' cities to your religion. If you're just conquering other players' cities, you're aiming for a domination victory, right? Or is the idea that after conquering a majority of your opponent's cities you just give them back with their newfound religion? 'Cause that sounds kinda dumb and waste of your time, not to mention wasted potential of several new cities. It's also just one unit that you don't get until much later and is very slow. It's almost as if Spain isn't so much made for a religious victory but a domination victory using religion as a spring board, yet it's not good at that or any other victory.

Then there's the Treasure Fleet and Missions, which are both "eh." Earlier fleets and armadas may be nice if you're playing island maps, but otherwise navies aren't terribly useful when cities no longer need to settle on the coast to use it. Trade routes between continents give a decent +4 gold if you're trading with other civs on other continents, but internal trade route bonuses are... +1 food and +1 production. That's practically nothing. Same with the missions. Outside of Persia and Australia, unique improvements are generally weak. The mission is probably the weakest, arriving in the Renaissance Era (I think), with mild faith bonuses and paltry science if you choose to work it for some reason instead of food and production tiles you always need.

A big weakness is not just that Spain seems to be a Domination-focused civ that needs to invest in a religion to reap half of its bonuses, but its not even good at the investing part. Even civs that aren't geared towards a religious victory can do it better. Russia, Japan, Egypt and to a lesser extent the Aztec can build a Holy Site faster than Spain. China has first dibs on all early wonders, including Stonehenge. Poland, Greece (especially Gorgo) and to a lesser extent Rome can start accumulating Great Prophet points sooner than Spain. Arabia gets a guaranteed prophet. The rest may not have any particular advantage over Spain, but that's a problem when half its abilities need it to have a religion in the first place.

Spain reminds me of the aggressive civs in Civ 4 that get a 10% combat bonus. They usually sucked because it doesn't matter if your caveman clubs hit slightly harder if your opponents had traits that got them horses and swords much sooner. Spain isn't even that good at domination, besides the sea ... maybe ... I suppose. Also, they have a coastal bias start, which is no good when you civ has zero benefits settling by the ocean like England or Australia do. Even France is guaranteed a river start.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Bluff Buster posted:

Spain reminds me of the aggressive civs in Civ 4 that get a 10% combat bonus. They usually sucked because it doesn't matter if your caveman clubs hit slightly harder if your opponents had traits that got them horses and swords much sooner. Spain isn't even that good at domination, besides the sea ... maybe ... I suppose. Also, they have a coastal bias start, which is no good when you civ has zero benefits settling by the ocean like England or Australia do. Even France is guaranteed a river start.

The main benefit of the Aggressive trait in IV (which gives +10% Strength) wasn't the promotion itself, it's that if you got that promotion for free you got access to the second-tier promotions more quickly, which included things like Shock (+25?% versus melee units). Not that it was ever as good as Financial, but then nothing was.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 28, 2017

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

homullus posted:

Can you maybe say more about that? I don't see why that would be true. Units and techs already have costs, and late-game unique play would affect things that have known costs.

You have to go through the early game to get to the late game. "But what about later-era starts?" Those are still going to feel different from the actual going-through-all-the-eras process, so it doesn't really help that much, unfortunately.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Trivia posted:

If a modder could dump all obnoxious leader calls to a small popup on the side of the screen, I'd be forever grateful.

This needs to be an option. Makes late game even more tedious and time consuming than it currently is.

For the person asking if they should buy, I'd say yes. It's fun. If you're waiting on the AI to improve, that's probably not going to happen. The early patches haven't put much effort into that so it doesn't seem like a priority. It's still a fun game and districts is an improvement over V.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Paradox games have kinda killed my interest in Civ 6. I still put a good 90 hours into it, but I haven't even loaded it in a month.

I guess the biggest reason I can come up with is that each game just feels pretty samey. It doesn't really matter if I'm playing Aztecs or Americans, the game is virtually the same each time, and I find warfare takes a very long time for how exciting it is.

It's a shame really, I played a shitload of 5, all the while thinking "All this game needs to be really great is multiplayer that's not poo poo" and then they come along and release that game and I'm not that interested in playing it any more.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I have the highest science per turn but I'm last in the lead for a science victory? What is the computer doing all the instant researches? They have more technology than me but my ships are a full tech level ahead, this ain't right.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Trivia posted:

The fuckenest thing is, THEY DID THIS IN THE BEYOND EARTH EXPANSION.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It's also the case in multiplayer in Civ VI itself.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kanfy posted:

It's also the case in multiplayer in Civ VI itself.

Can you send those messages to other players in multiplayer?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

prefect posted:

Can you send those messages to other players in multiplayer?

Nah, but the AI ones don't pop up until you click them.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
CQUI fixed a ton of my major complaints with the game, thanks for the recc, thread

Is rushing a big army the secret to making the AI like you? I've only played 3 or 4 games on prince, still trying to get a handle of things and mess around, and it seems that even the more prickly AI's, like Egypt, fall over themselves to DoF me even when they are my neighbor/closest competitor, etc. Makes it a little hard to choose which Civ I wanna run over first :/

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Conquer everything until walls go up.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

CQUI fixed a ton of my major complaints with the game, thanks for the recc, thread

Is rushing a big army the secret to making the AI like you? I've only played 3 or 4 games on prince, still trying to get a handle of things and mess around, and it seems that even the more prickly AI's, like Egypt, fall over themselves to DoF me even when they are my neighbor/closest competitor, etc. Makes it a little hard to choose which Civ I wanna run over first :/

Cleopatra will love you if you have a big army. Trajan will love you if you have a lot of territory. I don't know what makes Gilgamesh like you, but once you're his friend, he loves you.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

prefect posted:

Cleopatra will love you if you have a big army. Trajan will love you if you have a lot of territory. I don't know what makes Gilgamesh like you, but once you're his friend, he loves you.
according to the wiki:

quote:

Likes civilizations who are willing to form a long-term alliance. Dislikes anyone denouncing or attacking his friends and allies.
but yeah, every time I've run into him he's really friendly as well.

I dunno, was just a bit surprised reading how crappy leaders like Cleo and Phillip typically are that I've had little problem declaring friendship with just about every Civ I've come across.

The more I play the game the more I like it though. I'm putting tons more thought into my cities locations due to districts and wonders. Like, I'm settling my second or third city based on the fact that it's gonna be a sick-rear end Ruhr Valley production city. Never really did that to the same extent in V.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The more I play the game the more I like it though. I'm putting tons more thought into my cities locations due to districts and wonders. Like, I'm settling my second or third city based on the fact that it's gonna be a sick-rear end Ruhr Valley production city. Never really did that to the same extent in V.

I fight a continual battle between making sure my cities are precisely seven hexes apart while also trying to get the right resources and terrain in there. :ocd:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

according to the wiki:
but yeah, every time I've run into him he's really friendly as well.

I dunno, was just a bit surprised reading how crappy leaders like Cleo and Phillip typically are that I've had little problem declaring friendship with just about every Civ I've come across.

The latest patch has made Civs a lot less likely to dislike you for no reason, and generally more willing to accept delegations/embassies/friendships. You may be reading older posts, or the impressions of people who haven't really played the game much postpatch.

But in general--and this has been true in most of the Civ games (going back at least as far as Civ II if I recall right)--the AI is a lot more likely to attack you if you're weak than if you're strong. So yes, even putting aside agendas for a moment, you're more likely to be able to stay on friendly terms with the AI if you have a strong military.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 28, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Krazyface posted:

The fuckenest thing is, THEY DID THIS IN THE BEYOND EARTH EXPANSION.

Warmonger?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Alkydere posted:

Warmonger?

No, they made AI Leader messages into something that appeared on the right side of the screen that you could just click away, rather than a full-screen thing that took you out of the game just so they could bitch at you for whatever reason.

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
"Warmonger?" was Kozlov's message for approving of the player's warmongering. :edi:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I started a game in the classical era instead of the ancient era and all the computer towns started with walls changed up the game. I didn't notice until I was marching archers at the city states. Its been almost 250 turns and John Curtain still hasn't made more than 2 towns though even though there's nothing but land around him. Some reason he made an encampment but I never attacked him once.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 30, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

hexal posted:

"Warmonger?" was Kozlov's message for approving of the player's warmongering. :edi:

Yup. One of the things I really liked about Rising Tide (and pissed me off at how poorly balanced it was) was the fact that they basically made the AI communications with you into an in-game twitter. It sounds dumb, but oh my god was it so nice to hit end turn and then have the game stop just so an AI can tell you once again that they're still pissed you kicked their rear end in a war 150 turns ago, oh and your face smells of poo. Made the game so much more fun...and actually gave the leaders an impressive amount of personality since adding a few text strings costs nothing compared to rendering a new animation and getting a voice actor to speak lines. Like Kozlov was hilariously terse. If he noticed you being aggressive he'd say "Warmonger?" *little arrow going up or down depending on the military personality he chose that game*, alternatively he'd say something like "Peace lover?" if he noticed you weren't being aggressive. There was very much a "I'm a busy cosmonaut, I barely have the time to speak since I'm busy strapping myself to another rocket." vibe to him.

Or the lady who lead Space-China would make it very, very clear how much her character hated the guy who lead Space-Korea completely independent of whatever diplomacy score the two factions would have that game. Like, every message about him in some way was personalized with some form of dripping contempt.

I seriously wish they'd kept it and I'd just get little twitter messages from Cyrus going "LOL, Scythians, getting all bent out of shape about broken promises." While Tomyris basically growls angrily and hungers for Cyrus's blood.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
John Curtain never expanding past 2 towns, decides I am weak as I am researching Rocket Artillery. His War Chariots descend on my capital. At the same time Norway denounces me for no reason, never invaded anyway in the game yet.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 30, 2017

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gort posted:

Paradox games have kinda killed my interest in Civ 6. I still put a good 90 hours into it, but I haven't even loaded it in a month.

I guess the biggest reason I can come up with is that each game just feels pretty samey. It doesn't really matter if I'm playing Aztecs or Americans, the game is virtually the same each time, and I find warfare takes a very long time for how exciting it is.

It's a shame really, I played a shitload of 5, all the while thinking "All this game needs to be really great is multiplayer that's not poo poo" and then they come along and release that game and I'm not that interested in playing it any more.

It's sort of shocking how dead the thread is really. What is there to say about the game? It doesn't even seem to make any interesting stories.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Game sux. 5 still great.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Each game feels like you either wait for upgraded artillery or battleships so you can deal with city walls. Even the machine gunners take a few turns to take down the walls of civs 1-2 tech levels behind you.

I wanted to play the inner lake map, I'm the only civ that makes ships.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Taear posted:

It's sort of shocking how dead I am inside really. My imagination is unable to create any interesting stories.

Perhaps you should return to the game after an expansion or two?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

homullus posted:

Perhaps you should return to the game after an expansion or two?

You sure got me.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
dare to offer mild criticism of civ vi and be labeled 'dead inside'

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Saying Civ V is great is the better reason to call someone dead inside. Especially when IV exists. :smugdon:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Hey guys Civ X keeps declaring on me when it is against their own interest, by my analysis. I'm pretty sure it's because of an arbitrary rule built into their AI but it's taking some of the fun out of the game because none of the NPCs are allowed to work toward an achievable victory of their own. It's more like everything is framed to make things artificially difficult for the human in the game.

Oh well, guess I'm just dead inside lol

E: ^^^ haha

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

theres a will theres moe posted:

Hey guys Civ X keeps declaring on me when it is against their own interest, by my analysis. I'm pretty sure it's because of an arbitrary rule built into their AI but it's taking some of the fun out of the game because none of the NPCs are allowed to work toward an achievable victory of their own. It's more like everything is framed to make things artificially difficult for the human in the game.

nice meltdown

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

firaxis is the new maxis

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I really like VI, I'm just kinda burned out on Civ after finally bashing my head against V Deity enough to beat it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Or the lady who lead Space-China would make it very, very clear how much her character hated the guy who lead Space-Korea completely independent of whatever diplomacy score the two factions would have that game. Like, every message about him in some way was personalized with some form of dripping contempt.

Space France and Space Germany were also great for this. Elodie and Lena are cousins, and neither ever lets the other forget it - all their diplomacy with each other is customized to be a lot more barbed, passive-aggressive, or just plain aggressive.

Also Space Arabia having a :stare: moment when they bump into the Americans.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
The AI being psychotically aggressive and petty was even worse in Civ 5 so that's a very odd complaint to have.

Civ 6 is almost as good as 4 if you ask me, it just depends on what kind of bullshit you're willing to tolerate (Civ 4 has doomstacks and no real balance to speak of, Civ 6 has 1-unit-per-tile and horrible AI).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

theres a will theres moe posted:

Wait I thought we're only on VI, not X.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm having fun with VI. I'm in that multiplayer goon game, which is going alright so far; my starting position was not ideal, but I'm doing okay and managed to claim the second religion and get the beliefs I want. Might be up for joining more MP games too.

Tangent from that, though, why does the PYDT site not let "new users" post more than three times in a comment thread, and when does one stop being "new"? That game's comment thread died because half the players can't post in it now, which is unfortunate as more discussion there would be interesting.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You can stack units in civ 6 with the form corps thing. I don't know the limits but I had 3 missile cruisers in one and 2 rocket artillery stacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Tenzarin posted:

You can stack units in civ 6 with the form corps thing. I don't know the limits but I had 3 missile cruisers in one and 2 rocket artillery stacked.

Corps seem like an appallingly bad deal, though. You're paying for two units and only getting a 10% strength increase to one of them (not even hitpoints, just strength).