Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lack of Gravitas posted:

I just wanted a game where I could use my modified pirate spaceship to nudge an asteroid onto a near-planet trajectory, before stopping the ship and EVAing onto the asteroid with a few extra oxygen tanks, then riding the asteroid into the planets vicinity without being identified by automated ship defence satellites, before jumping off the asteroid and dropping to the planet surface with a special forces HALO insertion while being concealed from ground-based sensors by the breaking-up asteroid, landing near an isolated RSI reseach & development lab, skinning a nearby animal to use its butchered remains as a disguise to get into the base, then stealthily neutralising the guards and technicians as I steal the latest designs for the concept jpg's, before escaping via the labyrinthine network of sandworm tunnels beneath the planet surface, surfacing near a starport where I can hack a freight terminal and hide in a box, having myself delivered to the pirate starbase I call home, before finally delivering the stolen plans to a local crimelord in a seedy stripclub, earning myself a nice fat bounty and an enjoyable nights entertainment from a few of the stripclubs dancers, all done seamlessly and without any loading screens.

Is that really too much to ask?

But, but, but look the the guy MOPPING!
Isn't that more amazing, the mop ACTUALLY touches the FLOOR!
Surprised there isn't a TED talk on the mopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

loving lol using JFK's speech about going to the god drat moon in comparison to a video game filled with T posed autists.

when this all comes crashing down for good boy oh boy

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
we should all be encouraging redditors to spend more money on the game.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

CIG wants to have everything and basically be The Matrix in space. The good thing is that they DO have one scene from The Matrix!

There is no game.

Whoa!

As much as I generally love your posts, I am going to have to agree to disagree on the characterization of SC as SPAAAAAACE Matrix. I have yet to see any latex overcoats in Casaba Outlet (I feel dirty remembering that FWIW).

Also, no women.

Or kung fu.

I do agree with your choice of quotes though.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

The Titanic posted:

Good breakdown, friend. :)

How much money can a dream and misleading marketing get you? Apparently quite a lot, worldwide.

I'm going to have to say that I think the term "marketing" in relation to what CIG have been doing is being way more generous than they deserve. The people still putting the money in mostly do it out of some stupid poo poo they put in their own heads, and this fanbase only ever seems to rally during the times when CIG actually releases something for them to dick around in. Sandi just puts poo poo up on her personal twitter feed to make it look like everyone's making progress, their most prolific releasing of information is in German gaming magazines, their presentations are increasingly becoming powerpoint presentations, they no-show streams and events, no one really watches their Youtube stuff because these days it's just them showing off their cafeteria again, their streamers are miserable, and the only positive news is entirely fabricated stuff being shat out on websites that couldn't look any more dubious if they tried. They keep telling people to make content for them but then that sort of just disappears into the cloud of general disinterest and no one really talks about it. All they've done and ever done is just ride the hype and news that came with being the ultimate over-funded dream. All their marketing is basically pointed inwards at the people who least need to be sold the bullshit to. I mean poo poo, even the German magazine stuff is still just preaching to your fanbase, they only give that information to them because they already have an allegedly devoted fanbase there. The one time they've actually tried something closely resembling marketing reaching outwards in the form of their referral system and it's such an obvious cash-grab their own backers can't stand it.

So much navel gazing and relying on word of mouth from hyped people (the number of whom are dwindling), and increasingly fanatical members are spending their days constructing anti-criticism forts that they sally forth from to fight the stupidest war against a rival game's forum daring to have a thread that criticizes their unreleased game.

I suppose there's no better term than "marketing" but it just feels like no effort was put towards selling the game to anyone who wasn't already invested.

mintskoal posted:

loving lol using JFK's speech about going to the god drat moon in comparison to a video game filled with T posed autists.

Well if we go by Apollos I guess 11.0 is going to be when Star Citizen finally comes out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

mintskoal posted:

When that day happens, we can bust out the FDR quote "a day that will live in infamy."

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Roger Ebert posted:

Wing Commander

Jurgen Prochnow, who played the submarine captain in "Das Boot,'' is one of the stars of "Wing Commander,'' and no wonder: This is a sub movie exported to deep space, complete with the obligatory warning about the onboard oxygen running low. "Torpedoes incoming!'' a watch officer shouts. "Brace yourself!'' It's 500 years in the future. If the weapons developed by the race of evil Kilrathi only inspire you to "brace yourself,'' we might reasonably ask what the Kilrathi have been doing with their time.

Other marine notes: "Hard to port!'' is a command at one point. Reasonable at sea, but in space, where a ship is not sailing on a horizontal surface, not so useful. "Quiet! There's a destroyer!'' someone shouts, and then everyone on board holds their breath, as there are subtle sonar pings on the soundtrack, and we hear the rumble of a giant vessel overhead. Or underhead. Wherever. "In space,'' as "Alien'' reminded us, "no one can hear you scream.'' There is an excellent reason for that: Vacuums do not conduct sound waves, not even those caused by giant destroyers.

Such logic is of course irrelevant to "Wing Commander,'' a movie based on a video game and looking like one a lot of the time, as dashing pilots fly around blowing up enemy targets. Our side kills about a zillion Kilrathi for every one of our guys who buys it, but when heroes die, of course they die in the order laid down by ancient movie cliches. The moment I saw that one of the pilots was an attractive black woman (Ginny Holder), I knew she'd go down, or up, in flames.

The plot involves war between the humans and the Kilrathi, who have refused all offers of peace and wish only to be targets in the cross hairs of video computer screens. Indeed, according to a Web page, they hope to "destroy the universe,'' which seems self-defeating. The Kilrathi are ugly turtleoid creatures with goatees, who talk like voice synthesizers cranked way down, heavy on the bass.

Against them stand the noble earthlings, although the film's hero, Blair (Freddie Prinze Jr.) is suspect in some circles because he is a half-breed. Yes, his mother was a Pilgrim. Who were the Pilgrims? Humans who were the original space voyagers and developed a gene useful for instinctively navigating in "space-time itself.'' (Just about all navigation is done in space-time itself, but never mind.) Pilgrims went too far and dared too much, so timid later men resented them--but if you need someone to skip across a Gravity Hole, a Pilgrim is your man.

There are actors on board capable of splendid performances. The commander of the fleet is played by David Warner, who brings utter believability to, alas, banal dialogue. Two of the other officers, played by Tcheky Karyo and Prochnow, are also fine; I'd like to see them in a real Navy movie. Prinze shows again an easy grace and instant likeability. Matthew Lillard, as a hotshot pilot named Maniac, gets into a daredevil competition with the Holder character, and I enjoyed their energy. And the perfectly named Saffron Burrows has a pleasing presence as the head of the pilot squadron, although having recently seen her in a real movie (Mike Figgis' "The Loss Of Sexual Innocence,'' at Sundance), I assume she took this role to pay the utility bills.

These actors, alas, are at the service of a submoronic script and special effects that look like a video game writ large. "Wing Commander'' arrives at the end of a week that began with the death of the creator of "2001: A Space Odyssey.'' Close the pod bay door, Hal. And turn off the lights.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Comparing SC to the Apollo mission would be pathetic even if SC were finished as imagined. Going to the moon, in the 60s/70s, is so amazing that some people refuse to believe it actually happened. Most people wouldn't care if every promise CR made gets fulfilled and no one outside the most hardcore citizens would remember in 25 years.

Amusingly, more people will remember his failure for longer than would remember his success.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Well if we go by Apollos I guess 11.0 is going to be when Star Citizen finally comes out.
It's never been done before so it's Apollo 1 so far.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/857730866239467521
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/858110034441641986
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/858113051727462401

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I look forward to Lethality defending this poo poo game's lack of progress until the cash runs dry

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

SelenicMartian posted:

It's never been done before so it's Apollo 1 so far.

That's gonna be awkward when it accidentally kills some people.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

The Titanic posted:

CIG wants to have everything and basically be The Matrix in space. The good thing is that they DO have one scene from The Matrix!

There is no game.

Whoa!

The Matrix in space already exists in the much better, actual game Saints Row 4.

SR4 also features another one of CIG's staples: T-posing commandos:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Man, they've really hitched their wagons to the June 30th date.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: Ich Bin Ein Frankfurter

[...] Ben Essen Ein Frankfurter

[...] CiG HEIL!

[...] We chose to go to the moon, not because it was easy, but because the planets weren't ready!

[...] Mr.Battlecruiser3000ad, tear down this code!

Space Race 2000: Germany vs Serbia

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Colostomy Bag posted:

Actually no. They've - again - hitched it to the "3.0 Jesus Patch". They did the same thing back in Aug 2016 when Croberts said it was coming on|before Dec 19th.

It's just a date. They really don't care much about that. All they care about is that 3.0 comes.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Actually no. They've - again - hitched it to the "3.0 Jesus Patch". They did the same thing back in Aug 2016 when Croberts said it was coming on|before Dec 19th.

It's just a date. They really don't care much about that. All they care about is that 3.0 comes.

I think they need to care more about what happens 'after' June 30th/3.0 patch, they've clearly not given any thought as to what to do if 3.0 is just another bug fix with bells on.

These people are the same people that were saying "Just wait until the 2.0 patch drops goonies, you'll change your tune then!!"

Look at how that turned out, after 2.0 (the last jesus patch) CIG still archering, patches are still crap, game is still nonexistant, the next jesus patch will still show us all again, Crobblers is still running his mouth while pocketting whale money by the ton, Sandi is still a harpy, Ben is still fat, Reddit still pissing their panties about you (DS), and still the years roll by emptily. :D

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Samizdata posted:

As much as I generally love your posts, I am going to have to agree to disagree on the characterization of SC as SPAAAAAACE Matrix. I have yet to see any latex overcoats in Casaba Outlet (I feel dirty remembering that FWIW).

Also, no women.

Or kung fu.

I do agree with your choice of quotes though.

The Matrix series is a really good analogy for SC. Both come from a relatively good idea, both were stretched out into incoherent gibbering by idiots, both have an inexplicable fanbase insisting they're the best thing ever. Main difference is The Matrix series got completed, but few analogies are perfect.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
The cult of Croberts never fails to impress with the amount of bullshit they're able to swallow and regurgitate.

Reddit thread of the stupid space doors with over 125 posts and multiple people still spouting poo poo about them being some plywood and a garage door opener.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4ZQVxyr2H4
This but with Chris and Sandi.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

DapperDon posted:

You betcha! These are some seriously basic bitches.

How dare you.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

King of a late reply, but.

Loiosh, your list gives the impression that you prefer smaller, more experimental "indie" type games. What was the appeal of SC? There's tons of cool small studio games out there that are crowdsourced ,and many of them will actually ship. Do you give money to those type of projects as well?

Loiosh is willing to pay any amount of money to obtain his gaming nirvana: managing a space passenger flight agency with a couple of pals
[/quote]

Tijana is mocking me for it, but that's mostly true. I enjoy deep simulator games and always wanted to play a multiplayer game where I'd get actual human passengers and get to pilot them around. For a long time I was working on a career switch to be a domestic pilot, but in my last job change, I ended getting a nice enough raise that move no longer makes financial sense. For those curious about why I'm not asking for a refund, I've said this a number of times in my past, but to be clear: I still like the ideas of SC and would like to see it come out. I don't need or want the money back, especially now. What trucutru said is true. It's quite certain I will never ask for a refund. I am, after all, still subscribed to the game and enjoy watching ATV every week.

One of my favorite moments was something that I suspect is of no interest to most people, they released two longer presentations, one on Spectrum and one on project management, which oddly enough fit in quite well with one of the projects I'm currently working on. I've had to learn MS Project over the last month to get a schedule out for a building expansion. On the side, I've also been helping a friend transition his social site to a more modern platform, and we oddly enough ended up going with the same React + Redux design. Those kind of videos are pretty neat. I know most here will find flaws and mock it, but it is neat to see that information on development get out there.

As for your post, Flared Basic Bitch, small indie games are what I have the most time to play. Picking up Scanner Sombre this weekend! I keep trying various MMOs, but none of them have the depth in the right area to catch me. Most MMOs seem to equate 'depth' with grinding on various sorts (grinding for drops, grinding for Faction/XP) which is something I just lost my enjoyment from after I quit WoW years ago. What I play now when I'm in that mood is Microsoft Flight Simulator (with PMDG planes and some other realism addons, fs2crew, radar contact, etc). In essence, I like games with: Short, good stories, or deep and technical simulators.

I keep looking at MW:O, but it's never captured me, same with Elite Dangerous. Both are good games, but neither's captured me.

Last week, I finished NieR: Automa (that was pretty interesting) and am playing the new Tales game. I picked that one up because I like the protagonist, but the grinding is getting to me. Hopefully the story ends up being good stuff.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010
Oh, while I'm at it, if anyone has recommendations for good A/V consultant companies, I'd certainly appreciate it. One of the projects I'm working on is getting new conference space setup in the expansion. I've done a bit of research on what would work out, but an audio professional would do a far better job than me.

Currently I've scoped out two different levels of upgrade:
Higher end: Crestron AM 101, mixer, drop mics, and some nice mics mounted to our conference table
Lower end: Phoenix Audio MT202-EXE (x5), connected to a polycom phone

If any of you have recommendations for good contractors you've worked with in the past, I'd appreciate it.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Cue two pages of conference room design arguments.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Colostomy Bag posted:

Judging by recent screenshots and videos, they've cooked up some ground levels now that they have FPS "Working" and that is what they are going to release as 3.0 come hell or high water. All the rest of the scheduling and whatnot is just a smokescreen to appear like they're burning hard for a major tech release. Whether or not they actually are producing anything is immaterial- as long as they get those maps out, backers will declare 3.0 a major success, and just wait a couple more weeks for the rest, for real. Followed by another sale, maybe of rovers this time.

So calling it now, based on the report: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report
Things that will not be in the June release, because they are hard:
New planet and landing zone
Working player turrets
Interactive cargo that is anything more than a number
Any of the "Item 2.0" systems: Radar, fuel, power supply, light control, operator seats
Doors & Airlocks
Atmospheric entry
Persistent vehicle states
Repair systems
Inventory systems
Planetary Tech
Character Customization
Personal Manager/Mission Manager/Cargo Manifest/Starmap App
AI Turrets
Mission System
Any of the AI economy stuff

Things that will be in the June release, because there is video evidence that they're already done, and it's good enough that backers won't question the rest:
The "Surface Outposts" on the moons, i.e. new FPS maps that you will have to load into.
A single mission-providing NPC
Some random shipwrecks in the crusader space area

Might be in because it's just number crunching and even a goddamn ape could get it right:
Stamina numbers
New insurance
"Cargo" kiosks a-la elite dangerous's commodities menu (i.e. just numbers)
"Physics Grids" i.e. gravity = 1
Field of View Slider
100 new guns/ships and "Refactors" of old ships, sold for full price

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Well of course your Warlordship, but this is becoming a death by a thousand cuts (forum shutdown, credits and the store, warbonds, (insert a 1,000 multitude of anti-consumer actions), blah blah blah) so the level of discontent has risen. The missed release will be another footnote for the faithful and will be another hole in the dam for the whales to stuff their e-penis into.

In short, will truck along for sometime but cracks are starting to show.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Golli posted:

Cue two pages of conference room design arguments.

Would certainly be appreciated :) I've been going through the design / success posts of various consultants out here to see what equipment shows up and then pricing it out to get an idea of what would be possible at our budget. Something to do after my evening runs.

Oh yeah. Other project I've been working on. This is since I started working out in November. I started adjusting my eating in February though there's not much of a difference you can see. Been working on getting back into shape.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Nice post.

Everyone will have a better idea in a month, but have you looked at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/devtracker

Apparently Item 2.0 is in and solved a ton of issues such as entry/exit.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Loiosh posted:

Oh, while I'm at it, if anyone has recommendations for good A/V consultant companies, I'd certainly appreciate it. One of the projects I'm working on is getting new conference space setup in the expansion. I've done a bit of research on what would work out, but an audio professional would do a far better job than me.

Currently I've scoped out two different levels of upgrade:
Higher end: Crestron AM 101, mixer, drop mics, and some nice mics mounted to our conference table
Lower end: Phoenix Audio MT202-EXE (x5), connected to a polycom phone

If any of you have recommendations for good contractors you've worked with in the past, I'd appreciate it.

Just go with the guys who promise you the most but have never delivered anything.

If they produce a lot of videos of them working, but do not have any actual results to show then pay them double.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

trucutru posted:

Just go with the guys who promise you the most but have never delivered anything.

So, Polycom? :)

I did actually reach out to them, but they seem to work with service resellers/partners. So I reached out to a few of their partners just to see if they could quote another under ridiculous. The issue with Polycom is for some reason they stopped making their own external mics besides the 7000 expansion mics. They stopped making and supporting wireless lapels or drop mics.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Colostomy Bag posted:

Nice post.

Everyone will have a better idea in a month, but have you looked at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/devtracker

Apparently Item 2.0 is in and solved a ton of issues such as entry/exit.

I really only keep up through this thread any more. But I don't trust anything a CIG dev says regarding completion of work. They keep relating internal tech experiments as finished projects, years before anything that might feature them comes out.

Item 2.0 has been around for at least a couple of years now and it's pretty classic CIG. Its' scope is so wide that the name itself is practically meaningless and they can constantly claim to have made breakthroughs on it (and they have). Look at the upcoming schedule. Item 2.0 is supposed to cover: seats, and displays, and fuel, and radar, and cargo, and ship lights, and quantum drive? So in this one system, on the tech side of things, you're going to have to interact with: server data (for radar), client data (for player handling), ui functions (for displays), ship data (fuel/lights), graphics engine (lights), movement around the map (quantum), and economy data (cargo). This one thing would require components of practically every system in the game to be changed. To what end? Can anyone actually give a one-paragraph summary of what the gently caress "2.0" actually does? Their own summary says "This will allow for greater player control of the ship and also allow for expanded gameplay." They can claim literally any improvement on those fronts to be 2.0, and undoubtedly will, but there's no hint that there is some governing method behind it like "All resource-generating objects in the game will be queryable and will return an object of the following class containing their data. All resource-reading objects in the game will be modified to use this class."

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Loiosh posted:

So, Polycom? :)

I did actually reach out to them, but they seem to work with service resellers/partners. So I reached out to a few of their partners just to see if they could quote another under ridiculous. The issue with Polycom is for some reason they stopped making their own external mics besides the 7000 expansion mics. They stopped making and supporting wireless lapels or drop mics.

Remember that if the mics are not encased in sandalwood the quality suffers. Also, well-curated cables than have seen plenty of electron flow are a must.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Judging by recent screenshots and videos, they've cooked up some ground levels now that they have FPS "Working" and that is what they are going to release as 3.0 come hell or high water. All the rest of the scheduling and whatnot is just a smokescreen to appear like they're burning hard for a major tech release. Whether or not they actually are producing anything is immaterial- as long as they get those maps out, backers will declare 3.0 a major success, and just wait a couple more weeks for the rest, for real. Followed by another sale, maybe of rovers this time.

So calling it now, based on the report: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report
Things that will not be in the June release, because they are hard:
New planet and landing zone
Working player turrets
Interactive cargo that is anything more than a number
Any of the "Item 2.0" systems: Radar, fuel, power supply, light control, operator seats
Doors & Airlocks
Atmospheric entry
Persistent vehicle states
Repair systems
Inventory systems
Planetary Tech
Character Customization
Personal Manager/Mission Manager/Cargo Manifest/Starmap App
AI Turrets
Mission System
Any of the AI economy stuff

Things that will be in the June release, because there is video evidence that they're already done, and it's good enough that backers won't question the rest:
The "Surface Outposts" on the moons, i.e. new FPS maps that you will have to load into.
A single mission-providing NPC
Some random shipwrecks in the crusader space area

Might be in because it's just number crunching and even a goddamn ape could get it right:
Stamina numbers
New insurance
"Cargo" kiosks a-la elite dangerous's commodities menu (i.e. just numbers)
"Physics Grids" i.e. gravity = 1
Field of View Slider
100 new guns/ships and "Refactors" of old ships, sold for full price

Didn't they also lose the new "networking savior code" from the 3.0 release? I know it's a very minor thing with an MMO, but hey....

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ripptide posted:

Didn't they also lose the new "networking savior code" from the 3.0 release? I know it's a very minor thing with an MMO, but hey....

Yes, but they lost it officially and have already said that it won't be coming until at least 3.1. Smart, since they can continue to blame all issues on it.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

trucutru posted:

Remember that if the mics are not encased in sandalwood the quality suffers. Also, well-curated cables than have seen plenty of electron flow are a must.

One of the places I looked at pretty much did that. They matched the wood paneling in the bank's executive conference room. Though if you're looking for ridiculous conference room designs, the best is Adobe's HQ in San Jose. They have a $1m + executive conference room complete with custom-built table that has pop-up screens, mics and outlets for laptops and stuff. A full production booth behind one-way glass and a giant screen.

My budget is more like, can we just get by with a polycom conference phone and call it a day? I've been putting together proposals at various levels so that, in 2 months time when I inevitably get asked 'what can you do about the conference room,' I'll have budgets to offer and schedules to do the work.

One of the more amusing things about my job is you really cannot go back to the executive staff and say 'you told me not to (upgrade the conference room.)' Much better to plan out ahead and have projects ready to go. I try to anticipate future requirements, like network growth, new security requirements, etc.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Loiosh posted:

Would certainly be appreciated :) I've been going through the design / success posts of various consultants out here to see what equipment shows up and then pricing it out to get an idea of what would be possible at our budget. Something to do after my evening runs.

Lean in close. Don't want to say it too loudly.

OK.

One word.

"Rivets"

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

ripptide posted:

Probably. I didn't list anything that could be claimed to release without making any sort of observable difference. That left off about half of the scheduled items. Lots of pipelines and refactors that never seem to bring the game closer to release.

Like, I'm looking at these dev responses now:
"The control manager is how the control of things like weapons and ship components can be delegated to users, such as the various crew members of a multicrew ship, or the pilot of a manned turret. It also allows for AI modules to control the same behaviors by providing an abstraction layer that both the player and AI modules interact with. This feature is the silent hero for how item 2.0 multicrew ships will work."

This is a terrible idea. The whole point of NPC's is that their decision making can be abstracted, making them far less resource intensive than a player character. If you push everybody through the same layer, you remove that or actually make the NPC worse for your hardware than the player, because now they're also wasting your cycles making decisions on the data.

"New hangar work hasn't been scheduled for 3.0, but fear not, we have not forgotten them. There have been some discussions about ways to improve what we have and potentially bring back the modular design, but nothing hard has been decided yet for the whens and hows."

I'm glad to know that the poo poo they delivered 4 years ago and promised to integrate into the actual game at some point hasn't been forgotten! Remember when they sold you $15 go-karts for running around these empty, pointless rooms?

Bugging out of ships/through walls and doors: "There is work ongoing to improve player physics to prevent these kinds of issues. I'm not certain the current status of it, but this is definitely something we're aware of and want to make better."

Well holy poo poo that's a relief! I was worried that the glaring bugs where basically nothing in the game acts as a solid surface had gone unnoticed, but they're aware of it! Time to invest again.

"Only cargo properly stored in the cargo placement area will show up on your manifest log and be eligible for selection at kiosks and trade stations - otherwise, you'll have to cart that big benny's machine all the way into the store before you can sell it.
Additionally, because it isn't on your manifest, you can't manipulate it via standard cargo management features
Loosely placed items aboard the ship are vulnerable to damage from impact and maneuvers
Loosely placed items aboard the ship are liable to damage the ship during impact and maneuvers
Loosely placed items aboard the ship are liable to cause serious harm to individuals cohabitating with said items during impact and maneuvers
The cargo area allows the server to easily save the state of things aboard the ship when parked at stations or hangars - depending on performance impact, loose items may be vulnerable to getting lost in storage.
The cargo area also handles many of the properties governing concealment and scanning, which means that loose items may not get the benefit of that sweet smuggler bay
"

Yeah this is going to work out great. Did you forget to put something in the cargo area? Whoops, we literally didn't bother to save its' position and now it's gone or glitched forever! We have incorporated bugs as actual game mechanics!. Your framerate is going to drop so hard that time will run backwards in your vicinity every time the cafeteria on your ship suffers a gravity failure!

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 29, 2017

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Why are you guys even talking about 3.0? Everyone knows 4.0 is when Star Citizen will really start to come together. You'll see!! The internet won't be able to handle all the people re-backing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

HycoCam posted:

Why are you guys even talking about 3.0? Everyone knows 4.0 is when Star Citizen will really start to come together. You'll see!! The internet won't be able to handle all the people re-backing.
its really sad that I'm seeing this posted around without a hint of irony