Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Voyager had to do a tiny bit of reshooting and it turned out great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

vermin posted:

Star Trek: Bloodbath
Star Trek: Murder Boat
American Horror Story: Starfleet?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

vermin posted:

Star Trek: Boatmurdered

I'll kill all those loving space elephants...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I stand by my prediction that Discovery will be reformatted into a TV movie or limited miniseries if it ever actually airs. At what point does Netflix get to say "Hey, where the gently caress is the season of tv we basically co-financed?"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I stand by my prediction that Discovery will be reformatted into a TV movie or limited miniseries if it ever actually airs. At what point does Netflix get to say "Hey, where the gently caress is the season of tv we basically co-financed?"

I would presume that CBS has to deliver a finished product by the end of the year. Netflix is bleeding money right now and it's invested heavily in foreign markets (which never gave much of a poo poo about Star Trek until the reboot movies).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

J33uk posted:

This is starting to make the Supertrain production look smooth

Supertrain was the ultimate in 70s TV

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

:vince:

I need to start more of the TOS comics reviews. After this arc i think I'll skip around and maybe show some TNG.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

vermin posted:

Murder, exciting and new
Come aboard, we're expecting you
And blood, life's sweetest reward
Let it flow, it floats back to you

The Muuuuuurder Boat, soon will be making another run
The Murder Boat promises vengeance for everyone
Set a course for adventure,
Your mind on a new blood oath

And death won't hurt anymore
It's an open smile in the halls of Sto'vo'kor
Welcome aboard, it's MURRRRRRRDERRRRRRRR!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've neglected to think of this previously: has Netflix has already paid money up-front, or just committed to buying it on availability?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I misread that at first and thought that Neelix had commissioned the Discovery show.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

McSpanky posted:

Murder, exciting and new
Come aboard, we're expecting you
And blood, life's sweetest reward
Let it flow, it floats back to you
The Muuuuuurder Boat, soon will be making another run
The Murder Boat promises vengeance for everyone
Set a course for adventure,
Your mind on a new blood oath
And death won't hurt anymore
It's an open smile in the halls of Sto'vo'kor
Welcome aboard, it's MURRRRRRRDERRRRRRRR!

Kazinsal posted:

WhiteHowler posted:

American Horror Story: Starfleet?

:gowron:

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

J33uk posted:

This is starting to make the Supertrain production look smooth

Supertrain was such a costly trainwreck it almost killed loving NBC (in conjunction with some other problems). Maybe Discovery will do the same for CBS's fledgling streaming ...thing.

Also if you don't know Supertrain check out these rocking clips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUERtAe73NI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTd687mIrg8

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How is supertrain real?? How did that get made?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Oh my god, the intro credits were almost TWO MINUTES LONG.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baronjutter posted:

I think between 1975-1985 lots of shows were getting pitched with the help of cocaine

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
In Encounter at Farpoint, Data makes a big deal of how separating the saucer and stardrive sections of the ship while at warp is extremely risky.

...how would they even accomplish separation at warp speed, given that the saucer section doesn't have warp capability in the first place? I imagine it'd be like trying to deftly and elegantly launch a paper plane from a fighter jet.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Baronjutter posted:

It's like an elaborate sketch from a late night talk show went back in time and inserted itself into reality

I'm the stuffy black valet who dumps a tray of lemonade all over a rich doughy white guy

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

spincube posted:

I imagine it'd be like trying to deftly and elegantly launch a paper plane from a fighter jet.

Not a lot of wind in space.

nmx
May 16, 2004

Number_6 posted:

Supertrain was such a costly trainwreck it almost killed loving NBC (in conjunction with some other problems). Maybe Discovery will do the same for CBS's fledgling streaming ...thing.

Those special effects though!

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

spincube posted:

In Encounter at Farpoint, Data makes a big deal of how separating the saucer and stardrive sections of the ship while at warp is extremely risky.

...how would they even accomplish separation at warp speed, given that the saucer section doesn't have warp capability in the first place? I imagine it'd be like trying to deftly and elegantly launch a paper plane from a fighter jet.

:techno: During separation, the saucer is under the influence of the stardrive's warp bubble for long enough that it can safely move away before it drops to impulse :techno:

Or something like that. I'm sure someone spergier than me has thought about it for longer than I have.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It depends on what warp engines do.

If everything in a certain warp field moves at warp, then it's fine. If the engines were actually pushing the ship and didn't drag along anything in the field, the second it went to warp it'd be obliterated by dust.

Unless the navigational deflectors push everything away in addition to keeping it away when moving. They've never really been explained as far as I can remember.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Wait I thought warp fields take you to a parallel universe of imagination/horror

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
My understanding was that matter and antimatter (hydrogen and anti-hydrogen) obliterated each other inside the reaction chamber (big blue pulsing thingy), which produced the gargantuan amount of energy, filtered through dilithium crystals, needed for the warp nacelles to produce a 'warp bubble' which something something'd subspace boom FTL travel. Everything else - shields, sensors, Broccoli's creepy holoprograms of his crewmates - is powered by the ship's impulse power systems which I think is a form of fusion power generation?

...so if the whole ship is at warp speed, and the saucer section leaves that warp bubble and re-enters normal space at sublight speed, I suppose they boost the inertial dampeners/integrity fields in the saucer section when separating. Sort of like the noises your senile grandpa's car gearbox used to make when downshifting, with the same risk of liquefying the passengers

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Isn't there at least one time they lose warp power while traveling in warp? It was a pretty graceful coast/deceleration/exit to sublight process, unless my memory is failing me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

:techno: During separation, the saucer is under the influence of the stardrive's warp bubble for long enough that it can safely move away before it drops to impulse :techno:

Or something like that. I'm sure someone spergier than me has thought about it for longer than I have.

That's actually exactly what the TNG Technical Manual says.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Was there ever any :techno: to justify why ships can fire phasers and poo poo while at warp?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pakled posted:

Was there ever any :techno: to justify why ships can fire phasers and poo poo while at warp?

If phasers travel at the speed of light and your ship going faster than that, you'd shoot yourself?

gently caress if I know.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

If phasers travel at the speed of light and your ship going faster than that, you'd shoot yourself?

gently caress if I know.

There was a lovely X-Com space combat game where you would shoot yourself with your own missiles if you launched them whilst flying faster than their top speed.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Veotax posted:

There was a lovely X-Com space combat game where you would shoot yourself with your own missiles if you launched them whilst flying faster than their top speed.

I think you will find that xcom: interceptor is a fantastic game, and I will tolerate no ill words (or self imposed googling) that could possibly shatter my rose-tinted memories of that particular electronic masterpiece

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mister Kingdom posted:

gently caress if I know.

Technically the ship itself isn't traveling faster than c or even at c.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The ship doesn't move. It sits in a subspace bubble and the warp drive expands space behind the ship and shrinks space in front of it. The subspace bubble rides the wave.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

The ship doesn't move. It sits in a subspace bubble and the warp drive expands space behind the ship and shrinks space in front of it. The subspace bubble rides the wave.

I invented it in a dream, and forgot about it in another dream!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Indeed they have, in the TNG Tech Manual it says the saucer section has "warp sustainer" engines that let it peel off some of the warp bubble and keep it going for a few minutes so it can glide smoothly out of warp after the stardrive section disengages. It's the same thing that allows torpedoes to be fired at warp.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Number_6 posted:

I like how almost the entire cast is old white guys that look extremely unheroic. I wonder if the show was nothing but loud disco movie drowning out all the dialog.

The Trek FB page posted about the new casting for Discovery and there were at least a thousand posts going "this is still a thing?" and "hah this is never come out".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Gonz posted:

Oh my god, the intro credits were almost TWO MINUTES LONG.

That's... how long these things normally are?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsOE73pxpys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tIWYtcwp2I

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Supertrain's music is even more 70s than Space 1999's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLAsBzOOhLQ

Though admittedly, I'd rather listen to horns and wa wa guitar than what the gently caress was used to make the music for season 1 and 2s in TNG. It's like the kind of music you'd hear at the store your weird aunt that sells crystals runs in the beach town.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Related to Supertrain: why have I never seen this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Bus

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Nebakenezzer posted:

Featuring Odo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's... how long these things normally are?

I know, but I think the fact that the intro was so terrible made the two minutes feel like 4 or 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Nebakenezzer posted:

There is a retro film series I go to a lot where they show trailers that would have run the same time as the films that are showing that night. So you'll see trailers for the total crap that was coming out the same year as Alien or Temple of Doom.

People always say they don't make them like they used to but they do make them like they used to. Most stuff was garbage that was instantly forgotten back in the day too. For every Airplane there were a dozen losers that no one remembers.