Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I ran a pathfinder game briefly and I gave soft failures to close misses, the players seemed to like that and it softened missing a roll by 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Petr posted:

All I want is 2nd ed without THAC0, is that too much to ask?

A couple of ideas:

1. Adopt Target20

Take the number 20, and subtract your THAC0 from it. That is now your "Base Attack Bonus". An attack roll then becomes:
d20 + Base Attack Bonus + target's AC + all other modifiers >= 20

That is, if the final result is 20 or higher, then you hit.

Consider a level 4 Fighter Warrior with 18/52 Strength and a +1 longsword

Level 4 Fighters have a THAC0 of 17. [20-17=3], so their BAB is +3
A Strength of 18/52 provides a to-hit bonus of +2
A +1 longsword provides a to-hit bonus of +1

If they're attacking a target with an AC of 6, then the attack roll is

d20 +3 BAB +6 target AC +2 Strength +1 longsword, aiming to get a final result of 20 or higher
If they rolled an 11, that's a a final result of 23, so they hit
If they rolled a 5, that's a final result of 17, so they miss

If the target was behind 50% cover, then the attack roll is
d20 +3 BAB +6 target AC +2 Strength +1 longsword -4 cover
If they rolled an 11, that's a final result of 19, so they miss

Basically, you convert the THAC0 into BAB, and then include a target's AC into the equation as an addend, and you aim for a total result of 20 or higher. Everything else that was already positive (Strength bonus, magic weapon) is still positive, and everything else that was already negative (cover and concealment, curse, other penalties) is still negative. And then you convert nothing from original material.

2. Castles & Crusades is an AD&D clone, except done in the framework of 3rd Edition, so it does use BAB / Ascending AC for its attack rolls. Personally I don't like the skill system in it as being needlessly complicated, but practically everything else is very faithful to AD&D. PDF link to the free quickstart version

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
That's interesting, though it does leave the knock-on counterintuitive effect that smaller AC is better. Though if players are playing 2nd ed, they're probably used to that.

Edit: I'll definitely check out that AD&D clone.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Petr posted:

I definitely think the "partial success" mechanic in systems like Dungeon World is really good for failing-forward, and I wish D&D had that more explicitly. Good DMs do that out of habit, but the system doesn't encourage it in its base rules.

Dracula Factory posted:

I ran a pathfinder game briefly and I gave soft failures to close misses, the players seemed to like that and it softened missing a roll by 1.

There have been extant, though vague, guidelines on extending "partial success" or "moderated failure" outcomes since at least 3e:

And 5e's DMG touches on this as well:

quote:

SUCCESS AT A COST

Failure can be tough. but the agony is compounded when a character fails by the barest margin. When a character fails a roll by only 1 or 2, you can allow the character to succeed at the cost of a complication or hindrance. Such complications can run along any of the following lines:

• A character manages to get her sword past a hobgoblin's defenses and turn a near miss into a hit, but the hobgoblin twists its shield and disarms her.
• A character narrowly escapes the full brunt of a fireball but ends up prone.
• A character fails to intimidate a kobold prisoner, but the kobold reveals its secrets anyway while shrieking at the top of its lungs, alerting other nearby monsters.
• A character manages to finish an arduous climb to the top of a cliff despite slipping, only to realize that the rope on which his companions dangle below him is close to breaking.

When you introduce costs such as these, try to make them obstacles and setbacks that change the nature of the adventuring situation. In exchange for success, players must consider new ways of facing the challenge.

You can also use this technique when a character succeeds on a roll by hitting the DC exactly, complicating marginal success in interesting ways.

DEGREES OF FAILURE

Sometimes a failed ability check has different consequences depending on the degree of failure. For example, a character who fails to disarm a trapped chest might accidentally spring the trap if the check fails by 5 or more, whereas a lesser failure means that the trap wasn't triggered during the botched disarm attempt. Consider adding similar distinctions to other checks. Perhaps a failed Charisma (Persuasion) check means a queen won't help, whereas a failure of 5 or more means she throws you in the dungeon for your impudence.

That trapped chest example is actually a "reprint" of the 3e one!

Dracula Factory posted:

Gold usage is a good criticism of 5e, I feel like the official materials should have a section more or less telling DMs to come up with ways for the players to spend money. My campaign has us building new stuff for our town and rolling the dice on new magic item effects so we have fun with it, but it is an extra pressure for the DM to come up with stuff like that.
It's a side-effect of removing the "item treadmill" of 3e and 4e that now there are far too few outlets for player gold outside of the DM just making stuff up (and possibly cribbing notes from something like 3e's Stronghold supplement anyway)

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I think it's easy enough to get rid of gold through RP fluff, especially in interim sessions between adventures. The trick is to make the players feel like they gained something worthwhile for it. Sure, you can't buy Tier 7 shoulders, but maybe you rebuild a grain mill and gain the trust of a town, or commission a spy network to get you some intel on the next mission (that maybe you were gonna give them anyway, but no reason to tell them that)

Like, don't present it as "I take 10,000 gold away for RP fluff," present it as "you can do A, B, or C with this 10,000 gold!" and let them debate the merits of the choices.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Sorry to doublepost, but I also should say - if a party's gold balance gets really high, you can use that as a source of conflict. That gold had to come from somewhere legitimate to begin with. Maybe that dragon's hoard was stolen from caravans of the capital city, and now the citizens want a slice of it. Maybe the local king strolls into town and expects tribute. Farmer Giles of Ham that poo poo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just make very expensive hats available to the group.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Trast posted:

What would you all recommend as some of your favorite campaigns or modules? it could be because they are great stories or mechanically sound, etc. I want to read a couple to get a feel for how they are put together but there are too many to go through blindly.
Ok, so a decent horror campaign is I-9 Ravenloft, house of straud, whatever version, RA-1 Feast of Goblyns, and the book of crypts collection of one shots. You can get a lengthy, multi-year campaign with RA-1 alone if you indulge your player's curiosity and non-lateral thinking. Throw in some encounters from your monster manuals, and the thing has tons of content and characters that write themselves. Ravenloft is just a good adventure and an interesting look at the "house dungeon" of old. I'd put it below classics like the b series and such, but as reading for ideas, it is better than all of the b modules, save for the mini campaign that is b2, but b2 introduced "going outside" so that's hard to top. Thoughts of Ruin from ravenloft is probably the hardest module I can think of if that's interesting to you.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

gradenko_2000 posted:

It struck as people wanting to get away from the implication that "having a great time" had necessarily anything to do with whether or not it's a well-designed game or not, but if Wurzag wasn't trying to say that, then fine, fair cop, I'll drop it.

All I'm saying is I'm well aware of the shortcomings of 5e but my group of newbies to rpgs had a good time with it. I'm not trying to score points here or claim that by virtue of my single example 5e is the best game ever. People can think what they like about 5e, I'm really surprised by the hostility here.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
There are two arguments being had here. One is that 5E is a really, really badly designed RPG with numerous glaring flaws (with a sub-argument that the specific flaws can teach first time GMs and players bad habits and reinforce existing bad habits), and there are way better RPGs out there. This is True.

The other is that some people have had a lot of fun playing 5E. This is also True.

Nobody is trying to use the first argument to dispute the second argument. "We had fun" -> "The rules are bad" is a non-sequitor. There's an argument because people keep trying to use the second argument to dispute the first argument, thinking that "We had fun" somehow implies "5E is NOT a terribly written games made by "designers" who actively and publicly courted people like Zak S and RPGPundit during development".

The reason this particular slap fight started is because Wurzag said

Wurzag posted:

Ran an 8 player game of 5e for a bunch of people who have no prior experience with rpgs whatsoever. Say what you will about 5e being imperfect but everyone seemed to have a great time.
The implication of which is that there is something specific to 5E that caused your friends to have fun, rather than the far more likely "This was their first time playing RPGs and RPGs are fun and the RPG we happened to be playing was 5E". If you had said "Say what you will about (specific flaw in 5E) but (example of how specific flaw was, in fact, good) then that could have been a fun discussion!

All that said, ARIVIA you don't have to argue with EVERY "but we had fun" statement in the thread. Sometimes it's best to just let them wither and die on their own.

edit:

Wurzag posted:

All I'm saying is I'm well aware of the shortcomings of 5e but my group of newbies to rpgs had a good time with it. I'm not trying to score points here or claim that by virtue of my single example 5e is the best game ever. People can think what they like about 5e, I'm really surprised by the hostility here.
There's hostility because "but we had fun" is frequently used unironically as a counterpoint to specific complaints about issues with 5E, so jumping into the middle of a thread which had just moved on from a heated discussion about how 5E is crap with "Say what you will about 5e being imperfect but everyone seemed to have a great time." was best case scenario just going to be quietly ignored.

edit 2: Though it was Petr posting nonsense like this:

Petr posted:

Yeah man, you are objectively wrong for enjoying a game, as indicated by this meta-analysis
that made the poo poo really hit the fire.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 29, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Petr posted:

All I want is 2nd ed without THAC0, is that too much to ask?
In all seriousness, ask in here. There's a hell of a lot of retroclones out there that might hit your fancy. There's a big old pile of them listed here but there's only two for 2nd ed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ritorix posted:

Something else that gets ignored, and I don't have a good term for it, is what I'll call "respecting failure". I see this a lot - a player rolls a trained skill, fails the DC, so the game narration focuses on how the character fucks up badly, doesn't know poo poo, trips over their own feet or is otherwise terrible at their skill.

I like to respect the character's training so that, while they do generally know what they are doing, it wasn't appropriate at this time or ran into complications. A failed Performance check may have been culturally inappropriate or hit the wrong emotional tone for the audience, not because the trained performer can't even play the instrument. Failed knowledge checks may bring up a red-herring or something factually true but irrelevant to the situation. Failed Persuasion during a bribery attempt may have unknowingly offended the honor of the target. I don't think of it as a "fail forward" thing, it's still a failure, but a "fail with a good reason".
This is a really good point. Rolling a 5 on a d20 doesn't have to mean your character, personally, hosed up, or that the universe conspired a slapstick rube goldberg machine of failure. Sometimes, for whatever reason, what they did wasn't useful at this point in time. These are especially good examples because they allow for more story. If you offended the person you were trying to bribe, maybe that's part of the culture of this area that you were unaware of. This fleshes out the setting. The knowledge roll result may not be useful now, but it might be a fun twist to throw it in as something very relevant to a later situation.

FATE's roll system, where you don't roll a 5 or a 2, you roll a "Good" or a "Poor", also helps cement the attitude that "Not good enough for this" doesn't automatically mean "Was a tool".

Petr posted:

This is fun, but difficult to do since it's usually the player who rolls the check, so they'd know they hosed up. That said, I have seen games where the DM handled all rolls behind the screen, and the players just talked. I haven't seen that with 5e, so I don't know if it would work or be fun.
Hidden but visible information is where collaborative storytelling and player vs PC knowledge can really shine. A failed roll means you tell them something that's not true and their characters then act as if it is true, even though they, as players, know it's not. That said this often isn't suitable, in which case I like to give them two pieces of information that are true, and one that is not, and not tell them which is which.

e: Though I think you misunderstood what ritorix was saying in his examples. He wasn't talking about hidden information, he was giving examples of stuff you can return for the failed results other than "You stand there looking like an idiot". "What can kill a werewolf?" "You can't remember, but recall that their sense of smell and hearing are extremely acute" or "You're about to say cold iron but you realise you're thinking of fae. You can't remember what it is for werewolves." "I bribe the guard to let me in." "As you reach into your pocket the guard's expression turns from disinterested to... almost offended? He refuses to meet your eye and you quickly get the sense you should leave."

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 29, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dracula Factory posted:

Gold usage is a good criticism of 5e, I feel like the official materials should have a section more or less telling DMs to come up with ways for the players to spend money. My campaign has us building new stuff for our town and rolling the dice on new magic item effects so we have fun with it, but it is an extra pressure for the DM to come up with stuff like that.
Gonna quote myself from earlier because I'm a narcissist (and also I think it was a good post)

Splicer posted:

It's called the marginal utility of money. Once someone's covering their day to day expenses and important one time purchases there's nothing to spend money on except increasingly frivolous extravagances and/or a runaway cycle of money -> investment -> more money. In real life this is the point of progressive taxation, and where the "money is just a way of keeping score" kicks in depends on how well your local government has set this up. Given that murderhobos have 0 daily expenses, one-time purchases that cap out at "good armour and weapon, maybe some horses", and a 0% tax rate, this problem is pretty much inevitable. So you need to either introduce day-to-day or major one-time expenses (paying for food and supplies, frequent magic weapon upgrades, castles and airships, potions and wands, and/or frequently being robbed) or... when was the last time they paid taxes again?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

You should've gone for the five posts in a row to match the fifth edition.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So is Mystra just weirdly amoral with the whole Magister thing? Like is she operating on some alien other level morality that doesn't see the problem of Magisters killing each other off to take the place at the top? I'm looking through some old resources and there's tons of stuff about her but it seems to be scattered in weird unhelpful bites rather than like one big shitload of content about Mystra and her miscellaneous related stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You should've gone for the five posts in a row to match the fifth edition.
Was seriously considering it, but chose to retroactively dump post number 5 into post number 3. Pretend that's commentary on the 3e/5e relationship.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I strongly prefer stuff like partial success, success at a cost, etc to be directly baked into the resolution mechanism, because otherwise, for all the vague suggestions and the idea that "it is a good idea to maybe possibly consider doing this" without actually providing any systems that really assist with that, it's just heaping more work on the DM's back, in a system that's already incredibly unfriendly towards inexperienced DMs.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Scyther posted:

I strongly prefer stuff like partial success, success at a cost, etc to be directly baked into the resolution mechanism, because otherwise, for all the vague suggestions and the idea that "it is a good idea to maybe possibly consider doing this" without actually providing any systems that really assist with that, it's just heaping more work on the DM's back, in a system that's already incredibly unfriendly towards inexperienced DMs.
Oh yeah, EotE is amazing for this. Even ignoring how good the actual dice mechanics are, each skill gives at least one side benefit/penalty opyions and everything has the default "Gain/Lose a stress, add another die to someone, or get some random info" options.

Actually I think that's apart of what makes the whole thing work, having a couple of solid mechanical options with broad story interpretations to fall back on if you can't think of anything.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 29, 2017

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Splicer posted:

Gonna quote myself from earlier because I'm a narcissist (and also I think it was a good post)

In real life, kids are the ultimate gold sink. Plus you've got to consider the hard life of an adventurer might lead to a forced early retirement.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

gradenko_2000 posted:

2. Castles & Crusades is an AD&D clone, except done in the framework of 3rd Edition, so it does use BAB / Ascending AC for its attack rolls. Personally I don't like the skill system in it as being needlessly complicated, but practically everything else is very faithful to AD&D. PDF link to the free quickstart version

A quick skim of this has revealed that they have you roll for your hit points. gently caress that.

It also has that thing where everyone starts with a low bonus to hit, but the fightier classes escalate faster than the less fighty classes. So a level 1 fighter and a level 1 wizard have a similar chance to hit, but it diverges as levels are gained from then on. Why?

It also has that weird thing where there are sixteen types of saving throw, based on different, arbitrary-as-gently caress attributes. Charisma helps against Death Attack. Wisdom against being polymorphed. Constitution against poison, but strength against paralysis.

Gort fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 29, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Gort posted:

It also has that thing where everyone starts with a low bonus to hit, but the fightier classes escalate faster than the less fighty classes. So a level 1 fighter and a level 1 wizard have a similar chance to hit, but it diverges as levels are gained from then on. Why?

I get your other complaints, but are you actually asking why fighters should get better at fighting faster than any other class?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
It sounds more to me like they're asking why fighters and wizards start out with equal fighting skill?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So is Mystra just weirdly amoral with the whole Magister thing? Like is she operating on some alien other level morality that doesn't see the problem of Magisters killing each other off to take the place at the top? I'm looking through some old resources and there's tons of stuff about her but it seems to be scattered in weird unhelpful bites rather than like one big shitload of content about Mystra and her miscellaneous related stuff.

Mystra is very much given to inhuman morality, yes. Mystryl (the first one, who sacrificed herself at the fall of the Netheril Empire) was very alien, being spun of star stuff. Mystra (the first one named such, who sacrificed herself during the Time of Troubles) was often amoral simply because of her age and experience. Mystra (the third one, formerly Midnight, who ascended after the Time of Troubles) struggled with and lost more and more of her humanity as time went on. Being the Weave, as Mystra is, seems to require a very unhuman perspective and gradually makes itself more and more alien and unrecognizable as anything else. Elminster's relationship with Mystra is a huge part of the Elminster novels, and is the best place for finding out about this kind of stuff.

However, the Magister isn't just a chaotic death ritual thing. For one thing, it's actually watched over by Azuth, god of wizards. Azuth largely administrates the entire Magisterial process, and he is far more attentive to the mortality of the mages involved than Mystra is. Azuth has allowed for nonlethal duels, selections without dueling, and other breaks from the concept of combat-to-the-death in order to gain the title. As of 1372 DR, he actually removed the possibility of dueling to ascend to the position at all (in Magic of Faerun for 3e.) He and Mystra were trying something different with the position, although what that might be was never detailed (because of how spotty publications got before 4e, and then Mystra getting killed IN 4e.)

The purpose of the Magister is to promote the Art in many ways - the Magister themselves does a lot of work to spread magic to others. The duel to become the Magister itself serves this purpose - striving to match the Magister requires a lot of magical preparation, talent, and experimentation itself. For the bad pop culture quote, "if you come at the King, you best not miss." Mystra wants people to use the Weave, to learn and try new things, and having a trial for the best to test themselves against promotes learning in quite a unique way. Does it lead to deaths? Surely. Is it amoral? Definitely. But it is appropriate for Mystra.

Most of this comes from Secrets of the Magister, a very late 2e supplement devoted solely to the Magister and those who took up that title over the years. (Note that I'm NOT speaking of FR4 The Magister, which is a 1e book of new spells and magic items.) You're right that there's not a single central source about Mystra, her followers, and so on. That's because she was so popular, and such an established backbone of the Realms, that there are multiple gaming supplements that detail an aspect of Mystra or her priesthood. Secrets of the Magister is one. The Seven Sisters is about the Seven Sisters. Volo's Guide to All Things Magical is a practical guide to magic in the Realms, but that also covers a lot of stuff that falls under Mystra being known as the Lady of Mysteries. And of course she has actual solid substantial religious sections in the deity books (Faiths and Avatars for 2e, and Faiths and Pantheons for 3e.)

So you're finding a lot because there's tons to be found. Mystra is definitely by far the most detailed deity in the Forgotten Realms (second would be Lolth due to all the drow stuff.) She also gets more attention because she's the goddess of magic, and new magic poo poo is a time-honored D&D supplement focus that never runs dry. Drink as deep as you'd like, because there's plenty more; but don't forget to come up for air and stop when you've had your fill. Have fun.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Don't play Castles & Crusades. It's only like one step below ACKS on the lovely retroclone creators ladder. Davis Chenault got banned from rpg.net for a "joke" post where he said people should get firearms and go into tenements where black people live so they could do some live-action dungeoneering complete with inhuman monsters to kill.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Arivia posted:

Don't play Castles & Crusades. It's only like one step below ACKS on the lovely retroclone creators ladder. Davis Chenault got banned from rpg.net for a "joke" post where he said people should get firearms and go into tenements where black people live so they could do some live-action dungeoneering complete with inhuman monsters to kill.

Kill all nerds.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Are there any decent retroclones that aren't made by complete garbage persons?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Retro Phaze isn't exactly a retroclone but it is a neat old school style game inspired by old final fantasy and such games

And it's free

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Thalantos posted:

I haven't heard anything too lovely about the 13th age guys

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Thalantos posted:

Not heard anything particularly lovely about Kevin Crawford (Sine Nomine publishing)

There's also Blacky the Blackball's stuff at https://gurbintrollgames.wordpress.com/ - he seems okay on RPG.net

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005
I am currently running a Forgotten Realms game, but to my secret shame I have very little knowledge of ::REALMSLORE:: My super innovative story includes Bhaal plotting his revenge against those who led to his death. So, other than Cyric, who would be on his poo poo list? All I really know about FR is by way of the video games and what various wiki research has given me.

Also, I guess Bhaal previously died in the Tantras novel, so what the gently caress happened there?

Garl_Grimm fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 29, 2017

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Thalantos posted:

I have yet to hear anything bad about Beyond the Wall and hope that posting it in this thread does not change that...

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Ok, so a decent horror campaign is I-9 Ravenloft, house of straud, whatever version, RA-1 Feast of Goblyns, and the book of crypts collection of one shots. You can get a lengthy, multi-year campaign with RA-1 alone if you indulge your player's curiosity and non-lateral thinking. Throw in some encounters from your monster manuals, and the thing has tons of content and characters that write themselves. Ravenloft is just a good adventure and an interesting look at the "house dungeon" of old. I'd put it below classics like the b series and such, but as reading for ideas, it is better than all of the b modules, save for the mini campaign that is b2, but b2 introduced "going outside" so that's hard to top. Thoughts of Ruin from ravenloft is probably the hardest module I can think of if that's interesting to you.

What I am really looking for is well liked campaigns or modules. The reason is I want to read them learn what makes for better encounters, stories, etc. I really enjoy DMing but I am still pretty new to table top rpgs so I am still learning a lot of nuts and bolts stuff.

I suppose I am asking for the netflix recommends of D&D. Like if you like dungeon crawling adventure A is rated five stars by viewers or this campaign involving the party building a kingdom is the favorite of aspiring table top despots.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I haven't heard anything too lovely about the 13th age guys

I am F&Fing 13th Age, for the curious.

Relevant to the discussion of failing forward, 13A doesn't use margins of success, but rather all skill rolls in that game fail forward. Failures shouldn't be hard stops, but rather they mean you move towards your goals with some sort of setback or negative consequences.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 29, 2017

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Garl_Grimm posted:

I am currently running a Forgotten Realms game, but to my secret shame I have very little knowledge of ::REALMSLORE:: My super innovative story includes Bhaal plotting his revenge against those who led to his death. So, other than Cyric, who would be on his poo poo list? All I really know about FR is by way of the video games and what various wiki research has given me.

Also, I guess Bhaal previously died in the Tantras novel, so what the gently caress happened there?

Cyric used Mask (kinda) to kill him.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Bhaal

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Garl_Grimm posted:

Cyric, Mask, Mystra, Kelemvor. As FRINGE pointed out, Cyric used Mask (in the form of the sword Godsbane) to kill Bhaal. Kelemvor and Mystra were part of the same adventuring party and were at Bhaal's death.

All of this happens in the Waterdeep book, not Tantras. I'd ignore reading that though. The Avatar series is pretty bad. Just grab Murder in Baldur's Gate from the DM's Guild - it has a ton of Bhaal 5e stuff to use.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
As Mrykul and and Bane are back as well. Getting from assistance from them would be a good idea for Bhaal.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Sage's DM: The Saga Continues

So hey, remember that randomly rolled in order Cleric I was planning on? The DM just mailed me a custom magic item he built for me to help alleviate the downsides somewhat. Awww... how nice! Right?

Well...

Magic Item: Chain of devout souls posted:

This holy symbol implement is a chain with a variety of holy symbols. It contains the tormented souls of individuals who were devout priests in life.

The chain can be used as a cleric implement. When casting a spell through the chain, you can use your channel divinity to use the Wisdom of one of the souls in the amulet instead of your own for that particular spell. You take 2d4+1 unpreventable damage and the spell is cast with a wisdom modifier of half that number (rounded up). If the resulting Wisdom modifier is equal or lower than your current modifier, you take no damage and the spell is cast normally using your wisdom modifier. If the wisdom modifier is +5, at max damage, you receive disadvantage on death saving throws until the next rest as the chain seeks to add your soul.

My answer:

Me posted:

I appreciate the gesture and the time you spent on this, but I think I'll never use that.

Wisdom does two things for me: accuracy (in the form of attack rolls and saving throws DCs) but also modifies the amount of spells I can prepare each day. I currently have only three non-Domain spells prepared and that might increase to, what, six maybe at the end of the campaign? I'm not going to prep an attack/save spell into one of those slots just so that once per rest I can cast it at a randomly determined better performance... for which I also take damage and sacrifice my Channel Divinity.

Of course that doesn't go for cantrips... but I'm not going to take 2d4+1 damage just for a randomly better chance of dealing 1d8 damage. Even if the 1d8 damage became auto-hit, it would still be a bad deal.

Plus most good spells require concentration anyway. If I can keep only one spell going, it's going to be Bless. I can't afford to prep something like Hold Person for that once-per-rest-cannibalize-myself-so-maybe-this-doesn't-fizzle chance if I can just keep Bless ongoing instead. I think you somewhat underestimated just how bad those scores are.

Oh and it can also give me disadvantage on death saves. Mustn't forget that part.

How much do magic items sell for?

I'll keep you updated with his answer. Starting to second-guess my decision to play...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well at least he tried to do something nice for you. Despite it being a lovely attempt.

What he really should do however is just let you rearrange your stats. (Or give you an amulet of wisdom so your lore does not matter.)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'll give your DM something for at least recognizing there's a problem and proposing you a solution, albeit in a poor attempt. It eats your channel divinity, damages you, and has a random element. All just to try to bring up up to par with other players.

He's going to great lengths to avoid just letting you flip stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I don't like being the one who says :sever: but...