Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Never saw the xenomorph dick, and I had to restart a lot of times because I suck at this genre.

Try going to the in-game enemy compendium. You can pull up a full-screen view of Simone, and have her play out a couple animations. The second one gives you a very good look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've never gotten a good look at it, but in my case it's cause I immediately picked up on Simone lifting her skirt as bad news bears and hightailed it outta there.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
It's only after I watched the video that the boss theme sounds like something from Drakengard 3.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Edit: wrong thread!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 29, 2017

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

quote:

Wait. I don’t think... 2B! I’m detecting black box signals! They aren’t dead—they’ve been turned into weapons!
You guys were already weapons, she turned them into WiFi repeaters. :getin:

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Huh, I could swear Simone says "so what? Stop laughing [at all?]" here in angry embarrassment after her dress burns up. Of course, they don't bother to subtitle her laughs or screams of 'no,' but it's also interesting her, ah, subjectively-lingusitic output overlaps. Personally, I hear repeated "go/no" with the higher pitched voice also screaming "no/go" on top of it. I prefer to think at least one of the two is saying 'go,' since it's the order 2B gives her Pod after seeming to shake something off--even if it is meant in a different context. :v: And I suppose this fight is also confirmation that at least some of the machines have "consciousness" according to the Pod. I remember in the last thread a big dumb derail that went nowhere of people debating sentience vs sapience without the cog sci background for it, but at least now 9S is gonna have a harder time convincing 2B/himself they're 'just machines.' unless by that he just means bureaucrats, but someone made that joke ages ago.

FredMSloniker posted:

That reminds me. Usually in a game or anime, this:

...would just be an image full of symbolism, not something that happens in-world. The way the image was presented, though, makes me wonder if the boss tried to escape into the protagonists' heads...

Also interesting, since those appeared in Nier. But without the accompanying burst of static that follows this scene.

Kavak posted:

There goes my theory of clothing just being part of the android's projected appearances

Can't forget their teeth.

Looks like they wear dentures in addition to clothes, if this is their true endoskeleton.

Ukokira
Apr 29, 2017

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Given that Drakengard 3 basically established that the multi-verse is a thing, I'm okay with both Papa Nier and Brother Nier being canon.

Both Papa and Brother Nier are canon and oddly enough in the same timeline and world.

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1235592_1124.html

Yoko: Replicant and Gestalt are not parallel universes, but rather they fall into the world’'s pattern of repetition. Regarding the relationship with Yonah, sometimes they are siblings whereas others they are father and child. That is the reason for the discrepancy of time between the two versions of the game.

necroid
May 14, 2009

am I alone in thinking that everyone being robots and androids is extremely boring and that it provides no pathos?

compared to the drakengards the story so far has been pretty tame and bland, it's just sexy machines killing clunky machines...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The game has barely begun.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

necroid posted:

am I alone in thinking that everyone being robots and androids is extremely boring and that it provides no pathos?

compared to the drakengards the story so far has been pretty tame and bland, it's just sexy machines killing clunky machines...

If you're a fast player, this is about an hour or two into the first ending of the game.

There's some real poo poo coming.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

necroid posted:

OK, but what if... go with me here, what IF, the machines and androids WERE ALSO PEOPLES?! :aaa:

Realtalk: If they act like people, then they are for the purpose of the narrative. Like, no-one says that that scene in Toy Story 3 with the incinerator isn't sad because 'they're just toys'.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The androids are actually all dragons. The machines are just machines, no twist there.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Danaru posted:

The androids are actually all dragons. The machines are just machines, no twist there.

The real kicker? The moose and boars are actually human.

Reincarnation baby.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Nah, turns out all those weapons have human souls trapped in them.

Actually that's probably true for real for like half of them already so maybe that's not that big of a twist.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Twist, there is no twist.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Nah something like "humans are the real enemy" and "androids and machines team up to stop the moon, which has become both a death star and a human clown car" ending.

You need to shoot the moon star at a very special weakpoint to overload the reactor.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
All the little machines are human gestation pods, but the have a really low success rate. Most of the don't even work anymore, and all of them are trying to drive androids away so they can fail their mission in peace. One finally succeeds, and you kill it unknowingly. The End.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The twist is that the machines plan to build a giant dynamo called Lunatic Pandora in order to trigger the 'Lunar Cry' phenomenon which causes humans to rain down from the moon.

...nah, that's too wildly implausible to possibly be a good twist.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

The Dark Id posted:

Kingdom Hearts suffering is starting shortly, if that's your kinda scene. There will probably be a short Automata update later tonight to cap off this chapter after that.

]http://www.hitbox.tv/TheDarkId

You know, I never played Birth by Sleep and I was adamant on going through KH2 Final Mix first for old time's sake (haven't gone through it since 2006-ish), so I bought the PS4 HD collection.

But after watching a few hours of this...

Nah, I'm Good. I'll just skip this poo poo and go straight to Birth by Sleep.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The machines are actually job-stealing wyverns and the true purpose of YorHa is to build a wall.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The machines are actually job-stealing wyverns and the true purpose of YorHa is to build a wall.

Unfortunately, it seems that no one told YorHa that wyverns fly over walls.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The Dark Id posted:

Kingdom Hearts suffering is starting shortly, if that's your kinda scene. There will probably be a short Automata update later tonight to cap off this chapter after that.

]http://www.hitbox.tv/TheDarkId

Might as well upload my fanart here:

The Pirates of the Caribbean characters just look so ugly besides the KH characters.

Adult Sora according to Goofy.

TDI after the stream.

Tazgirl18992
Aug 15, 2015

I love it :allears:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Adnor posted:

TDI after the stream.

TDI's next av spotted. "THIS poo poo IS ALL CONNECTED!"

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Malachite_Dragon posted:

TDI's next av spotted. "THIS poo poo IS ALL CONNECTED!"

The Dark Id was slain and The Dark Dix appeared. But he doesn't really exist because he doesn't have a heart. Maybe.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

necroid posted:

Yeah man. You know how every video game sets the scene in the half-hour of gameplay and then continues along that path for the next 7-50 hours?

Personally I was surprised that Horizon Zero Dawn had you playing as a kid the entire game but it might've just been because Uncharted 4 did the same thing too.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

necroid posted:

Yes. Them being robots doesn't change the fact that they're people.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Just because they're not made of meat (and given what we saw of 9S's limbs in the prologue, they've still got plenty of organic bits!) doesn't mean their emotions, thoughts, ect aren't every bit as valid.

Yes, it's you. :slick: You are the robot.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

necroid posted:

Just keep playing/reading, is all I can say.

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015

Gaz-L posted:

OK, but what if... go with me here, what IF, the machines and androids WERE ALSO PEOPLES?! :aaa:

Realtalk: If they act like people, then they are for the purpose of the narrative. Like, no-one says that that scene in Toy Story 3 with the incinerator isn't sad because 'they're just toys'.

Actually, that doesn't bode well for me, since I was dry-eyed throughout that movie, and knew that no matter how dark the film got, Unkrich wasn't gonna go that far.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

pulsor93 posted:

Actually, that doesn't bode well for me, since I was dry-eyed throughout that movie, and knew that no matter how dark the film got, Unkrich wasn't gonna go that far.

Be at ease, for this is a Yoko Taro game.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Tarezax posted:

Yeah - where most writers go "Okay, this is enough angst and drama for me - time to start turning this baby around", Yoko Taro goes "Move aside bitch, I got a story to tell and I don't care how many bodies and/or mental wellbeings I leave in my wake!"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tarezax posted:

I'm not saying Yoko Taro would definitely kill everyone in that scene, and then somehow have it lead to Andy and Bonnie's hideous and painful deaths.

I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm not saying Yoko Taro would definitely kill everyone in that scene, and then somehow have it lead to Andy and Bonnie's hideous and painful deaths.

He'd definitely kill everyone in that scene. It would be a message about the cruelty of the world and putting your trust in someone unworthy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

apocalypticCritic posted:

He'd definitely kill everyone in that scene. It would be a message about the cruelty of the world and putting your trust in someone unworthy.

I wouldn't say definitely.

80/20, high end.

(He's sometimes holding out so he can do something worse.)

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

chiasaur11 posted:

SOMEBODY needs to watch the Illbleed LP:

https://lparchive.org/Illbleed/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDYEVWrqy1s&fmt=22

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
*catches up on thread*

Huh.

Huh.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I like to think every time a dumb ending happens, Accord comes running in five seconds after in a frantic attempt to seal the timeline and prevent Drakengard Ending A from spilling back out. I also imagine after watching 2B Mk. III detonate on the starting line and 2B Mk. IV rip her brain out because why not, she's radioing the 4th Librarian Brigade to send nuclear payload.

I hope we get even more idiot android suicide before we're done. We've probably seen all the "durp" mechanics already, but I have faith in you, Taro Yoko! Give us another stupid way to kill ourselves! :v:

necroid
May 14, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Just keep playing/reading, is all I can say.

Ok thanks, this was the best answer

Genocyber posted:

Yes. Them being robots doesn't change the fact that they're people.

these aren't Asimov's robots and androids, sorry if I don't give a poo poo about cannon fodder robots and infinitely respawning sexdroids "dying"...

But I guess I'll find out in a while if it's just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

necroid posted:

Ok thanks, this was the best answer

these aren't Asimov's robots and androids, sorry if I don't give a poo poo about cannon fodder robots and infinitely respawning sexdroids "dying"...

But I guess I'll find out in a while if it's just that.

I don't see how they're less emotionally valid characters than the ones in Nier where everyone was an artificial flesh robot too

• Locked thread