Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Alacron posted:

No, Ann is my waifu and everyone in our wedding party will wear 73 layers of clothes.

I'd be genuinely skeezed out if an Ann/Mona romance ever happened, he comes across to me as an incredibly immature child trying to play the part of a suave adult most of the time. I'm curious as to why they included it at all since it never goes anywhere beyond Mona occasionally acting pervy towards her (trying to peek up her skirt, that weird comment in Mementos about her butt, etc.)

I think they're just going for the same thing of Teddy hitting on every girl in Persona 4, despite being a mental child. It's comical to see the harmless mascot character trying to score with women far beyond their league and failing, I guess. But I assume pervyness is more tolerated in Japanese media as harmless gags since their actual sex crime statistics are ten times lower than every other nation. Maybe?

Same with everyone treating the MC as a leper for having a criminal record. Japan's population is 150 million yet there's only a few thousand juveniles there sentenced with crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Being treated like poo poo for being accused of a crime isn't really a Japan-exclusive thing though. No matter where you go in the world you'll experience that, and I find that rather beautiful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

je1 healthcare posted:

I think they're just going for the same thing of Teddy hitting on every girl in Persona 4, despite being a mental child. It's comical to see the harmless mascot character trying to score with women far beyond their league and failing, I guess. But I assume pervyness is more tolerated in Japanese media as harmless gags since their actual sex crime statistics are ten times lower than every other nation. Maybe?
Those are reported sex crime statistics, which are notably different from actual sex crime statistics.

Anyway, in Morgana's case you can read his thing with Ann as him trying to reinforce himself as a human guy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Morgana's pretty different from Teddy imo. Because instead of being like generally a perv, he just has a crush on Ann.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ann will reject him and Morgana won't be able to rationalize it with his self-image as a gentleman. Enter the cat-sized fedora and Reddit account...

Actually, considering as a cat he's perfectly dextrous, they should've just gotten him his own phone to text with. Could've talked to Sojiro that way too.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Teddy just came off as oblivious. Like a kid who saw this dumb weird way of flirting then mimiced it without understanding any of it. "Is this scoring with a hot stud?" and all that. Morgana just comes off as creepy. Just put a fedora on that cat already.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just find it amusing if you're dating Ann, because it probably means the protagonist is busy listening to Morgana going on about wanting to date Ann while he's probably like "Yeah. Uh-huh... Wonder if I should tell him we hosed like animals in a Ferris Wheel.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Teddy just came off as oblivious. Like a kid who saw this dumb weird way of flirting then mimiced it without understanding any of it. "Is this scoring with a hot stud?" and all that. Morgana just comes off as creepy. Just put a fedora on that cat already.

Teddy comes off as creepier to me if only because p4 has way creepier moments about that stuff.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Teddie came off as way more unpleasant to me because he never shut up about it and kept hitting on everyone indiscriminately. Morgana just came off as someone trying badly to be chivalrous and he drops it halfway through the game

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
True, the stigma is just twice as bad in Japan, even over minor crimes. Which creates a catch-22 in the legal system which people are reluctant to prosecute anyone without complete certainty of conviction, because it will make them unemployable for life, and acknowledging a mistaken sentence can ruin a legal career. And that may or may not have an effect on crime stats which is a whole nother can of worms that P5 touches upon.

There are nuances to the Japanese legal system that P5 would be better served in explaining in localization to help convey the actual stakes for each character, but that's a minor nitpick.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

Those are reported sex crime statistics, which are notably different from actual sex crime statistics.
What are the estimates for the number of sex crimes that go unreported, then? Are there any estimates that you see as reliable, or are they all crap because nobody making them is impartial, and everyone tries to massage the numbers to prove their own point?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, I guess that's true too. I forgot the extent of Teddy's stuff. I'll rediscover more of it as I play. But I still think I prefer Teddy over Morgana. That stupid temper tantrum arc was utter garbage and brought the game to a grinding halt for me. Teddy's was more of a slow build and at least had a pay-off. Morgana's is, I think, referenced casually once then completely forgotten forever. A worthless bit of writing. Almost as bad as Hashino's contempt for queer and trans people.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Morgana just came off as someone trying badly to be chivalrous

Yeah, this is basically the only reason anyone uses the -dono honorific.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, I guess that's true too. I forgot the extent of Teddy's stuff. I'll rediscover more of it as I play. But I still think I prefer Teddy over Morgana. That stupid temper tantrum arc was utter garbage and brought the game to a grinding halt for me. Teddy's was more of a slow build and at least had a pay-off. Morgana's is, I think, referenced casually once then completely forgotten forever. A worthless bit of writing. Almost as bad as Hashino's contempt for queer and trans people.

Blame that on Haru's character, not Morgana's. There was clearly a lot of waffling over the final roster, what with Shogi Girl getting cut, and having Morgana pull a redux of Teddie's post-Navigator existential crisis was a contrived way to get Haru in with the rest of the Thieves, probably because she was added so late that she couldn't be written in more organically.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What aggravates me, is I don't know how good of a cook the different girls in the cast are. Persona 4 was superior in this regard, for telling me that data over and over

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

FractalSandwich posted:

What are the estimates for the number of sex crimes that go unreported, then? Are there any estimates that you see as reliable, or are they all crap because nobody making them is impartial, and everyone tries to massage the numbers to prove their own point?

In every country actual crime stats are higher than reported crime stats. The disparity in Japan is up for debate, but their crime stats in all categories are a far lower. Also most violent and sex-based crimes were reported as three times higher in the 70s and gradually dropped in the decades since, so I doubt that the system has gotten worse at picking up offenders.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

What aggravates me, is I don't know how good of a cook the different girls in the cast are. Persona 4 was superior in this regard, for telling me that data over and over

Makoto's decent, Haru's learning, Ann would absolutely burn down half a city block after trying to boil water.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kawakami can make curry for you and your girlfriend to enjoy :v:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Blame that on Haru's character, not Morgana's. There was clearly a lot of waffling over the final roster, what with Shogi Girl getting cut from the final roster, and having Morgana pull a redux of Teddie's post-Navigator existential crisis was a contrived way to get Haru in with the rest of the Thieves, probably because she was added so late that she couldn't be written in more organically.

Yeah, her too. But I really like Haru and I've remained indifferent, outside the tantrum arc, on Morgana. Outside a few funny lines and party interactions, Morgana was a wash for me. Haru should have been handled like Naoto from 4. You get her late in that game but she at least shows up and hangs with the party a whole bunch before her dungeon. Haru shows up for 5 seconds in an anime cutscene then disappears until Hawaii.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Oxxidation posted:

Blame that on Haru's character, not Morgana's. There was clearly a lot of waffling over the final roster, what with Shogi Girl getting cut from the final roster, and having Morgana pull a redux of Teddie's post-Navigator existential crisis was a contrived way to get Haru in with the rest of the Thieves, probably because she was added so late that she couldn't be written in more organically.

People keep saying this sort of stuff, but it sounds absurd to me. You do realize that it'd be even harder for them to organically work Hifumi into the plot, right? And I'm pretty sure that Hifumi was cut from the playable cast way earlier than a lot of people seem to be imagining. They probably didn't have entire plot sketched out when they made the decision, and chances are it was done extremely early during the "we are brainstorming character designs" phase.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

What I want to know is whether Joker or Narukami is the better cook. Sure Narukami can make more things but do any of his dishes measure up to Sojiro's perfect curry?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

Makoto's decent, Haru's learning, Ann would absolutely burn down half a city block after trying to boil water.

I still miss the little stat-locked dialogue options in P5. Having the courage to do things like try Yukiko's curry just made it all the funnier. *BLARF* *thud*

Or trying to courageously endure the girls lobbing everything but the kitchen skin at you for your accidental intrusion at the Bath House and still having to get the gently caress out of dodge before they murder you dead.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

People keep saying this sort of stuff, but it sounds absurd to me. You do realize that it'd be even harder for them to organically work Hifumi into the plot, right? And I'm pretty sure that Hifumi was cut from the playable cast way earlier than a lot of people seem to be imagining. They probably didn't have entire plot sketched out when they made the decision, and chances are it was done extremely early during the "we are brainstorming character designs" phase.
Did she even get to the stage where there was concept art for her Persona or her thief outfit? It would probably be in the art book, right?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dolash posted:

I did not and was very nearly rocked, and sort of glad of it since it really did feel like an ambush.

I was totally taken surprise by this and entered into the fight with all my characters low on HP and SP coming back from that felt like a real triumph

Oh, yeah, people mentioned Sherlock Holmes earlier, I feel like this was probably common knowledge to Japanese players of the game but Kogoro Akechi was the Japanese Sherlock Holmes whose nemesis was The "Fiend with Twenty Faces," a gentleman thief and master of disguise. I thought that was pretty neat!

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 30, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you look at the artbook hifumi has way more portraits than any other s. link character. it probably didnt happen last minute or anything but i have to imagine it happened fairly late in development. the game has plenty of sections where you can see where what they planned didnt pan out, like how they have that entire graphic for the trip to hawaii that only gets used once, because the game was originally meant to be a globehopping adventure. you can see that in both that graphic and futaba's egyptian theme being kind of random.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Makoto can make donuts that are as effective as Master Coffee, so that seems pretty skillful

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I know I complained a lot about the 100% requirements in P5, especially the stupid crafting +3s, but on replay holy hell is P4G so much worse for this. Storyline chat options, lots of fishing, bug catching, beef bowl... so much rewinding it makes me wish there was a vita hack with savestates.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What I want to know is whether Joker or Narukami is the better cook. Sure Narukami can make more things but do any of his dishes measure up to Sojiro's perfect curry?

You'll have to wait for the spinoff Persona: Bon Appetit. It will single-handedly revive the Vita. Pun.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Bless Haru and her vegetables. Burned a decent number of Moonlight Carrots on (Palace 7 spoilers) the surprise Akechi fights since I had just swapped in party members without Adhesives and the Palace 7 boss.

Palace 7 is actually pretty great. Draining on resources, but the pacing is nowhere near as bad as the previous two palaces.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 30, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Bless Haru and her vegetables. Burned a decent number of Moonlight Carrots on (Palace 7 spoilers) the surprise Akechi fights since I had just swapped in party members without Adhesives and the Palace 7 boss.

Palace 7 is actually pretty great. Draining on resources, but the pacing is nowhere near as bad as the previous two palaces.

Hey, Palace 6 is great.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

if you look at the artbook hifumi has way more portraits than any other s. link character. it probably didnt happen last minute or anything but i have to imagine it happened fairly late in development. the game has plenty of sections where you can see where what they planned didnt pan out, like how they have that entire graphic for the trip to hawaii that only gets used once, because the game was originally meant to be a globehopping adventure. you can see that in both that graphic and futaba's egyptian theme being kind of random.
I think the real question on everyone's mind is: would she have kept talking like an edgelord when she was fighting Shadows?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

I think the real question on everyone's mind is: would she have kept talking like an edgelord when she was fighting Shadows?

Yes, obviously.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Her Persona Awakening scene was too epic and would have delayed the release of the game by another year

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Her Persona Awakening scene was too epic and would have delayed the release of the game by another year
I'll take that trade.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

ROFL Octopus posted:

For one, the Arthur Conan Doyle estate is notoriously litigious.

This is the exact reason his Persona should have been Arsene's nemesis, Herlock Sholmes.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Clarste posted:

People keep saying this sort of stuff, but it sounds absurd to me.

It's "Dojima was going to be the killer until late in development" all over again. I'm thinking the character art and maaaaybe the love for shoji were originally intended for Okumura's daughter, and were recycled for a confidant when it was decided to go in a different direction for the seventh party member.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

epenthesis posted:

It's "Dojima was going to be the killer until late in development" all over again. I'm thinking the character art and maaaaybe the love for shoji were originally intended for Okumura's daughter, and were recycled for a confidant when it was decided to go in a different direction for the seventh party member.

the phrasing in the artbook is literally 'hifumi (and they use her name, hifumi, implying she would have been basically the same character we know) was planned to be a party member in addition to haru' but okay dude

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I beat palace 7 on 12/22 think I'm going into the end luv u guys

Maxed every confidant except haru level 8 and strength, not gonna do strength if I can't get them all. Pretty blue ballsed by that but incentive for NG+ I guess

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not maxing strength is the saddest thing you can do lol

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
to me the main difference between teddie and morgana is boiled down to one thing. morgana treats each female in the group differently while teddie just hits on everyone with a vagina (and some people that don't) in the same general way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endorph posted:

not maxing strength is the saddest thing you can do lol

Yeah you are locking yourself out of really cool personas unless you grind like a madman.