Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TacoNight posted:

It is also easy to adjust the difficulty without trivializing the game by starting with exp or items. This is useful since I play with my five year old, whose strategy is "all pink dice"

Clearly always the best strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Much more. The main thing to bear in mind, though, is that it's designed to be hard. As in winning is...not something that happens every time. There are optional "leveling" rules in the core set to help you improve your character, though.

Looks cheap enough to get the full set in paper, though I wonder if by plastic cards they mean the same style as plastic poker cards.

TacoNight posted:

It is also easy to adjust the difficulty without trivializing the game by starting with exp or items. This is useful since I play with my five year old, whose strategy is "all pink dice"

I have a ten year old I play with now and then so it's probably perfect.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Hex Kit is done, and it looks like it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for in a hex map utility app. It's $15 on itch.io if you want to pick it up for yourself.

Edit:

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 29, 2017

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PST posted:

So back at PDF only and buy the hardback when it comes into stores. Or back at the book but not pdf, or treat it as the original intent behind kickstarter and you're supporting the company to make the thing they want to make.

Just because the likes of coolmini and modiphius et al treat it as a pure pre-order to offset early costs doesn't mean every company is.

I like having the physical copy with the PDF as back up. $75.00 is a bit much to get both when I found the 1e system kind of janky and bloated. Dunno why it's a big deal to not like the game enough to contribute that much money, but congrats on being enough of a fan to swallow the cost I guess?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There's a revival of Button Men, the old Cheapass Games dice game. If you want to try it out, the non-licensed characters from the original game are available for free as print-and-play with old art with artists like Brian Snoddy and Brom. Its fairly cheap as long as you have your own set of dice (and if you're here, you probably do).

It's a nice quick game you can play between other games.

This is by far my favorite game that Cheapass Games has ever done and online Button Men was pretty great back in the day so I'm glad they appear to be bringing that back too.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

malkav11 posted:

This is by far my favorite game that Cheapass Games has ever done and online Button Men was pretty great back in the day so I'm glad they appear to be bringing that back too.

There are Sailor Moon buttons but getting them requires giving money to that absolute poo poo Mark MacKinnon.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There's a revival of Button Men, the old Cheapass Games dice game. If you want to try it out, the non-licensed characters from the original game are available for free as print-and-play with old art with artists like Brian Snoddy and Brom. Its fairly cheap as long as you have your own set of dice (and if you're here, you probably do).

It's a nice quick game you can play between other games.
Is it fairly cheap though? 48 cards for $30 after shipping in the US with no box or $45 if you want the dice and box?

I think it's still a little too steep. If they were still buttons (or maybe cardboard tokens like Diskwars) and you got 48 for the price they're charging, it would be pretty neat.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

JazzFlight posted:

Is it fairly cheap though? 48 cards for $30 after shipping in the US with no box or $45 if you want the dice and box?

I think it's still a little too steep. If they were still buttons (or maybe cardboard tokens like Diskwars) and you got 48 for the price they're charging, it would be pretty neat.

Well, $20 if you're just getting the cards, but that's a fair criticism.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, $20 if you're just getting the cards, but that's a fair criticism.
Whoops, yeah, I was looking at the higher tier. Actually, $20 isn't thaaaaat bad if you think about it supporting the company, but again it's no box and provide your own dice.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

NinjaDebugger posted:

There are Sailor Moon buttons but getting them requires giving money to that absolute poo poo Mark MacKinnon.

I remember being at Anime North, and overhearing the Guardians of Order rep snottily telling some guy that since Cheapass didn't copyright the game, they could do whatever they wanted with it.

And sure, while third party supplements for games have always been a thing, dude's attitude basically killed my interest in GoO products. Not that I was missing out on much, in retrospect.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TacoNight posted:

Also as a pitch, they avoid lots of annoying kickstarter behaviors: they have no ks exclusives, the price + shipping = msrp ($25), and none of the main game are hidden behind stretch goals. The downside is they only have reasonable shipping prices for US.

They also got ripped into for loving EU backers with VAT and customs charges because Asmadi couldn't be bothered arranging an EU distributor and Chris Cieslik's initial response to complaints amounted to "let them eat cake". They have since sorted this, but it left a bad taste and there's no way they deserve credit for "avoiding bad behaviour".

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
If you're backing Talislanta for one version, what would be the best choice for system? I'm leaning toward Open d6, but I know I don't want 5e or Pathfinder.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Bieeardo posted:

I remember being at Anime North, and overhearing the Guardians of Order rep snottily telling some guy that since Cheapass didn't copyright the game, they could do whatever they wanted with it.

And sure, while third party supplements for games have always been a thing, dude's attitude basically killed my interest in GoO products. Not that I was missing out on much, in retrospect.
There's also the thing about how GoO was holding stock of Nobilis (and Amber too IIRC?), which disappeared when the company imploded, but copies have been turning up on eBay at inflated prices. At least MacKinnon isn't designing the actual game this time, since AFAICT he basically doesn't believe in game design himself.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Don't Give Mark MacKinnon Money

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Shovel Knight has been added to Exceed season 2 :woop:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Don't Give Mark MacKinnon Money

Consider giving me money instead. 8 hours left and we're funded twice over :dance:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ettin posted:

Consider giving me money instead. 8 hours left and we're funded twice over :dance:

I'm already giving you money. You can't have more of my money.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Shovel Knight has been added to Exceed season 2 :woop:

I hope we get the next characters as well (which is basically little shop of horrors) but it will be tight. 6000 dollars in 8 hours...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ettin posted:

oh cool this slipped under my radar. Last minute back!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

sexpig by night posted:

oh cool this slipped under my radar. Last minute back!

I like how it funded $26 off from the $3,000 stretch goal that would actually have saved Ettin from doing more work.

In other news, Exceed 2nd Edition With Better Art We Promise is set to fund at $86K, meeting all but one of its stretch goals, which means the $100 tier gets you all 16 base characters plus like five more on top of it (three promos, two stretch goals).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's just a shame the $100 tier is actually a $200 After Shipping and Import Taxes tier if you live in 99% of the world. :rip:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I like how it funded $26 off from the $3,000 stretch goal that would actually have saved Ettin from doing more work.

:laugh:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

If I don't get my poorly-done FATE Core conversion I'm reporting you to the Washington Attorney General.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
some real good purestrain crazy here

a lil snippet of what awaits you

quote:

UMS40 ?
We are going to use our androids to scan the world. The goal is 'realistic digital everything' , the creation of a comprehensive data set for film makers (CGI) computer games and miniature makers.

Pansensis droids have UMS40 hardwired into their brains. If they can see it they can scan it, if they can scan it they can sculpt it. Our Droids are designed to make the molds for their own plastic parts (Chrysta is an android medic) Making 1000 Kingdoms miniatures is part of their learn thru play training

:iia:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

No way this is serious because otherwise :psyboom:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Big fan of the suggestion that they've got plans for £10,000,000.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

How could you link it but not link these perfect images

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

There is no way that's not parody, but god drat is that good parody. For a minute I truly believed the Timecube guy had gotten his grog on.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

From what I can tell this was a Indiegogo campaign under technology about 3 months ago called ETERNITY STARSHIP that was shut down. Man, when Indiegogo shuts you down, that's gotta mean something.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That thing is just a mess, like there's no feasible way to track all of that poo poo in a reasonable length of time.

Also, it's yet another KS where a good chunk of the funds is going to "buy equipment" instead of contracting a company actually familiar with manufacturing the items you're pledging for. So even if it weren't word salad vomited out of a screaming skull I'd say pass.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
But they're going to build androids man. Androids to make games for us.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Androids that are also battleships? 25 foot long miniature battleships that make games for us?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Here is an already funded project by some people I known, urban fantasy/Nordic noir game with an Apocalypse World - esque system:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1369976955/the-quick-tabletop-rpg-of-nordic-noir-ghost-storie?ref=nav_search

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My favorite part is how it has 2 backers and 17 updates.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Never heard of this game but this owns: https://www.tabletopgaming.co.uk/board-games/news/translation-mishap-leads-to-hilarious-fruit-summoning-necromancer-in

Berrymancers :allears:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of the Hyalopterout Lemure.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Make your own boardgames and save money:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jefftidball/the-white-box-a-game-design-workshop-in-a-box

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

This is literally poo poo you can buy for nothing from a whole seller.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Should by one and gift it to Rutibex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Covok posted:

This is literally poo poo you can buy for nothing from a whole seller.

Stretch Goals: Pieces painted black :toot:

What's the odds of massive fulfillment issues?