Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen: Building up the Backend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

fartdelity

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

o7//
:yosbutt:

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

his nibs posted:

Star Citizen: Building up the Backend

:perfect:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Baby got back!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Bums. Bennys. Battlestar Shatactula.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's the spanking new breathing cycle.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Good to see Ben Lesnick was the mocap actor for the player avatar.

Jiggle jiggle.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Twerking is in.

Your move Braben!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
I like citizen butts and I can not lie
You other commanders can't deny
That when a Vanduul walks in with an itty bitty waist
And a round parp in your face

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm shocked nobody has this as their av yet, tbh

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm shocked nobody has this as their av yet, tbh

Give it time, someone will snap it up :D

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Xaerael posted:

Good to see Ben Lesnick was the mocap actor for the player avatar.
- He bends over, and he talks from his rear.
- Oh, him...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 30, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

So, the breathing animation somehow ended up mapped to the butt?

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

I see you baby

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Parping is in

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Virtual Captain posted:

You are wrong. The only person I have ever heard say build the frontend first also included the disclaimer that it should be rudimentary and just give a basic idea of the end product.
This is somewhat facilitated by the division of frontend and backend in web development. What you should not ever do is spend 3+ years pixel perfecting ship assets of all shapes and sizes. It still blows my mind that in alpha there is anything other than flying rectangles or greyboxes. Can you even change ship weapon loadouts in Star Citizen? Or would that require a whole new model because they don't have any kind of modularity beyond skins?

Obviously jpeg waving has done miraculous things for CIGs bottom line; but that could probably have been accomplished just as easily with a small team of concept artists. Maya/3DsMax is Chris' comfort zone and when CryEngine didn't facilitate the features Star Citizen required, it was easier to work on 3D models than building features.

I think maybe Toast is saying more, you design around the client use cases first. Which I guess make sense. What sense is planning for something that doesn't increase functionality from an end user perspective?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Star Citizen: Frontier are worse than EA

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

One more AdzAdama art. I guess you can still edit archived forum posts.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Flatulence is in!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Icd5PgqpfY

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Is that his grey featureless testicles clipping through the space suit?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

quote:

We joke and laugh, but I sat here for a hot minute trying to think of another game (besides Dead or Alive: Beach Volleyball et al.) that has jiggle/clench physics for glutes.
That's Fidelity.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im guessing thats a commandos bodies last twitches as his bowels forcibly empty themselves on the vacuum of space.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im guessing thats a commandos bodies last twitches as his bowels forcibly empty themselves on the vacuum of space.

Stimperial pain implants.

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
The pain doubles every few seconds :ohdear:
When is the thread about football again?

:rip: ankles 2012-2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Godmode Enabled posted:

The pain doubles every few seconds :ohdear:
When is the thread about football again?

:rip: ankles 2012-2017

I foresee a great career in actual football (as opposed to that silly hand-egg spectacle that's so popular in the US).

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

peter gabriel posted:

Parping is in

necroid
May 14, 2009

wow this guy is hella MAD

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

I foresee a great career in actual football (as opposed to that silly hand-egg spectacle that's so popular in the US).

You mean the kid throwing himself down on the ground right?

To really succeed in soccer he needs to learn how to cry and look around to make sure half of his team isn't also throwing themselves to the ground to cry like huge pussies and game the clock.

He should probably also learn which injuries take the most time to deal with so he can run the clock out waiting for a stretcher, but yeah I'll agree this kid has dramatic fake injury potential that would allow him to really succeed in the pussy olympics world cup

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Rugby is superior to american football. More fun, more violent, without breaks every minute.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kellanved posted:

Rugby is superior to american football. More fun, more violent, without breaks every minute.

…unless you count the noses.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
I don't think you can play rugby for any length of time and keep your nose intact.
e: Our coach would also sprinkle some martial arts training with regular rugby. A judo coach some day, greco-roman wrestling the next month. Because it obviously wasn't bloody enough for his taste.

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 30, 2017

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tippis posted:

…unless you count the noses.

Or ears

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

backers.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6Ztp9h4gtGk7T1fy/giphy.webm

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

I am morbidly curious as to the context of this, within the actual work.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

I'm am just amazed at backers ability to fixate on just the version number only and just ignore/rewrite any features that don't make it.

It's kinda brilliant is a huckster way how cig can just change the version numbers and the backer brain interprets that into 'progress'.
Does the huge download for every version keep people away from testing/checking so they just follow what is given in the slickly produced videos?
Do they have so much invested in this trainwreck that they'll see progress where none exists because the version number changed?
All of the above?

No matter what its amazing to look and laugh at from the sidelines!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Ashye posted:

I'm am just amazed at backers ability to fixate on just the version number only and just ignore/rewrite any features that don't make it.

It's kinda brilliant is a huckster way how cig can just change the version numbers and the backer brain interprets that into 'progress'.
Does the huge download for every version keep people away from testing/checking so they just follow what is given in the slickly produced videos?
Do they have so much invested in this trainwreck that they'll see progress where none exists because the version number changed?
All of the above?

No matter what its amazing to look and laugh at from the sidelines!

Imagine the fear of being wrong about spending a four to five figure sum on a game trapped in dev hell, being "made" by a failed used car salesman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Kellanved posted:

As someone who lives within spitting distance of the birthplace of Rugby League, where the sport is practically a religion, Gridiron is actually pretty loving cool too and Rugby snobs shouldn't be so down on it.

Especially not southern Rugby snobs. :colbert:

fakeedit: the practically caveat is slightly underselling it