Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Definitely rolling with K&P, we really don't need many more Frogfoots and there aren't enough F-15s to justify going American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
As a matter of policy, I must vote bote for Ivanov. It's the least practical choice, but also the coolest. We get a boat, we get frogfoot replacements, and we also get a mig-25, which is basically a brick that goes Mach 3. I know what you're thinking, "but Cathode, can it turn? Can it do things?" No it can't turn. No, it can't do things. But it can go Mach 3!

Also I hope all you people who voted for that despicable gambling neocon Zach realize what Rohan and Silent Bob(:rip:) did for us. Were it not for their heroic messianic actions last mission, half of our aircraft INCLUDING expensive support craft would be dead. I would definitely be dead, along with most other Phantom pilots and some Gripen pilots, and we would be having a very different procurement discussion.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What's with the lack of triple ejector rack GBU-12's I wonder? The ability to put three on a pylon that could (at the time) only carry a single JDAM made them an appealing choice.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Cathode Raymond posted:

As a matter of policy, I must vote bote for Ivanov. It's the least practical choice, but also the coolest. We get a boat, we get frogfoot replacements, and we also get a mig-25, which is basically a brick that goes Mach 3. I know what you're thinking, "but Cathode, can it turn? Can it do things?" No it can't turn. No, it can't do things. But it can go Mach 3!

It can't fire missiles, it can't drop precision bombs, there's an awful lot it can't do.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Right but it can go Mach 3.

Actually, I feel like I need to change by vote to the Ivanovs as well, just on principle. K&P is winning no matter what, but keeping the idea of Boatse alive is important.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

sparkmaster posted:

Although if we could buy more than 1 F-15, I'd be tempted.

Same. The Beagles are really are great aircraft. Just one of them is worth like two Phantoms in terms of firepower and overall capability.

-As much as we all love Frogfoots, we just got a great demo of how quickly they can die to WWII AA.
-Corvette has no SAMs, an ASW/ASuW torpedo launcher, an ASW rocket launcher, and a 76mm gun
-The MiG-25RB is the recon version of the Foxbat. It's got recon cameras (which only have a 5nm range) and an interesting SRS-4B Romb ELINT sensor with a 500nm range. Can also carry Eight 500kg dumb bombs. Doesn't do anything our Gripens, Tornadoes, or Reaper can't do better.

-We need standoff precision attack. We need Tornado replacements. These are perfect. Twelve Brimstone anti-tank missiles. Two Storm Shadow cruise missiles. Laser-guided bombs. Need I say more?
-The AMX's are basic little attack aircraft. A suitable replacement for Nail's lost Hawk 209. Good little light striker with some basic precision munitions
-These Mirages are neat little light attackers and recon aircraft. Its got an internal camera, plus various camera and sensor pods. Has anti-runway and anti-armor bombs, plus basic 400kg laser-guided bombs. They help fill in our recent losses reasonable well.

Oh, and it fills up eight goon pilot slots, the most of any proposal.

That's why I'm VOTING K&P.

-F-111 is an ok bomb-truck, but it doesn't have the DECM to do deep penetrations. The Popeyes are nice, but she should go after the Israeli Kurnass Phantoms or the Turkish Terminator Phantoms if we want those and something that can lob cruise missiles. Also, there's only one.
-The F-15 is a really, really capable aircraft. Great A2A. Great A2G. But there's only one.
-You know those MiG-21s we've been clowning this whole campaign? Welcome to the American-made version.

-Harpoons, dumb bombs, rockets, heat-seeking missiles. Doesn't bring anything we need to the table.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Quinntan posted:

It can't fire missiles, it can't drop precision bombs, there's an awful lot it can't do.

I know it can't do things. I explicitly said it can't do things, including the things you pointed out that it can't do. But can it Mach 3? Yes it can!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Ivanov because we need a boat! :ussr:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Cathode Raymond posted:

I know it can't do things. I explicitly said it can't do things, including the things you pointed out that it can't do. But can it Mach 3? Yes it can!

Once. And after that the engines are toast.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

By the way I want to reiterate a proposal I mentioned in stream chat yesterday - the SK60 pilots should get first dibs on being promoted out of those aircraft into anything new that we buy before the new pilots get assigned. They did their duties, they deserve something better!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

The Sandman posted:

So who's going to do the briefings now that Bacarruda is dead?

I'm not dead. I just broke my legs, fractured my spine, and burned off my face after my Phantom tanked a missile.

In other words, I (like the other dead(ish) goons) am at the end of the pilot queue.

Briefings will continue as long as people want them. :hist101:

power crystals posted:

As I said in stream chat if this doesn't end in a dozen intelligence guys showing up and casually asking to borrow our guncam footage/etc from that then I don't even know. There are so many firsts and nearly unknowns that happened in that mission that every country in the world would want their hands on our data. Maybe we can make some of our money back that way...?

This. We could make bank selling off the data we've gathered. Heck, we could sell off the Su-30 wreckage with all its black boxes there and make a fortune.

e: Hopefully Jack is willing to jump the fence after what happened and help us steal those darn Kfirs. We need more fighters!

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 30, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

power crystals posted:

By the way I want to reiterate a proposal I mentioned in stream chat yesterday - the SK60 pilots should get first dibs on being promoted out of those aircraft into anything new that we buy before the new pilots get assigned. They did their duties, they deserve something better!

As an Sk60 pilot who would not like to gamble his life every time he goes into a sortie, I wholeheartedly agree with this proposal. Let the new guys have the Sk60s for as long as they're functional.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Bacarruda posted:

This. We could make bank selling off the data we've gathered. Heck, we could sell off the Su-30 wreckage with all its black boxes there and make a fortune.

e: Hopefully Jack is willing to jump the fence after what happened and help us steal those darn Kfirs. We need more fighters!

I figure we could also leverage our data and success into a corporate sponsorship from Saab. In exchange for our Gripen data, I'm sure Saab would upgrade our C model Gripens into Es.

So yes, someone contact Saab corporate communications and see if we can work out a deal.

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
Ah go on then, Pilot me please!

Callsign 'Handle-Bar', and i'd prefer some variety of ground attack unit. Although if we do end up with some sort of rotary wing or SAR assets, that'd be good, too!

Anghammarad fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 30, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Yooper, let me just say that this was EPIC. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Just wall-to-wall action.

If I had the money and skill, I'd adapt this into a move in a heartbeat!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
K&P

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

sparkmaster posted:

I figure we could also leverage our data and success into a corporate sponsorship from Saab. In exchange for our Gripen data, I'm sure Saab would upgrade our C model Gripens into Es.

So yes, someone contact Saab corporate communications and see if we can work out a deal.

This would be pretty easy in real life most likely, because despite our best efforts we probably have a sterling public perception at this point. We freed Tibet, we backed the only moderately reputable person in the Angolan Lithium Wars, and our airborn heroics are the stuff of legend.

The public does not know - and need not know - that ~20% of our pilots are ecoterrorists, that ~40% endorse cluster bombing everything, or that our ground element is beating each other up with chairs and wrenches to determine who gets to be boss.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
Voting K&P.

ALARMs and cruise missiles? :getin:

This is interesting though:

power crystals posted:

You know, I want to point something out:
(Willie)
Why is this an option when nobody asked for it? We might want to read between the lines on this one...

Speculation: Are the cheap Harpoons a hint that we should keep an eye on the coast? (That's where the PLAN would show up :tinfoil:)
Gripens with Rb15s might become useful again.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

PenguinSalsa posted:

Speculation: Are the cheap Harpoons a hint that we should keep an eye on the coast? (That's where the PLAN would show up :tinfoil:

This is assuming that we're not already surrounded by Chinese stealth zeppelins, which is a reckless assumption.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
K&P

Also, what were some of the firsts and crazy things that went on in the big fight at the end there? I mean, I know that it was a bloodbath and an incredible mixup but beyond the fact that it was TopGunx3 what are some of the technical bits that's got the military geeks all in a tizzy?

Seeing that one Phantom get up close and personal with guns and score a kill, and another empty his guns chasing a jet flying at basically eyebrow height was awesome.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
As much as I want more :frog: I'll go for that F-15 cause it's cool as heck.

BFLM

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I really want that F-15, but only one won't cover our recent losses.

K+P for this, decent spread and we need more Tornados now that Rohan will be out of communication.

Silent Bob deserves a plaque or some other sort of permanent memorial for his service to us.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is there a kill list for this last missions anywhere? I'd like to see who did what.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

K+P, and I like this method of procurement.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Voting Ivanov - we need that boat

I mentioned this in the twitch stream last night but we have limited marine strikers (the Gripens actually have to have the ASMs loaded ahead of time) and ZERO NONE BUPKUS anti-sub detection !

Look at where all Van Hoff's stuff is - right on the coast. That includes ol'Hoff himself, the heart and soul of our operation.

Consider that the Dictator has had no success, repeatedly, using planes against us. Limited, and knocked back, success with ground forces. Wouldn't he think about now trying naval strikes and/or landings behind our lines?

Consider the Free State - you think Reddit wouldn't love to have a submarine? They could drop off commandos and Be In Our Base Killing Our Dudez? Or kidnapping Von Hoff for a shitload of ransom to restart their failing venture? Or just adding brass gears and poo poo to the steam plant, I dunno. Point is they'd love to tool around in a sub, and we can''t do poo poo about it if they do.

Ideally I'd have liked to get some MPA aircraft with sonar buoys, MAD, etc. but the Tetal II isn;t that bad either - passive & active sonar, torps, asw rockets, a gun useful for inshore bombardment, and FOUR count them FOUR VRRRRTTTTTTT CIWS in 30mm! That's even bigger than the Phalanx! And they can attack surface ships and planes!

Plus, if nothing else it can act as a passive/active radar warning system to cover our exposed coastal flank while the Frogfeet blow poo poo up on land.

Baloogan wiki link

tl:dr We have a giant sub shaped hole in our capabilities and we need to fill it with Romanian seamen ASAP!

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Been following this for a while, and I think it's about time I drafted myself - Ground Beef, reporting for duty! (Anything ground-attack please, not a Gripen/etc. Hawk/Frogfoot/etc would be great.)

Also, as much as I'd like the Aardvark, two tornadoes sounds better than one Aardvark - vote K&P.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
K&P, and Psychoceramic wants to switch over to one of the new Tornadoes.

Bacarruda posted:

I'm not dead. I just broke my legs, fractured my spine, and burned off my face after my Phantom tanked a missile.

In other words, I (like the other dead(ish) goons) am at the end of the pilot queue.

Briefings will continue as long as people want them. :hist101:

There's still a minor issue here: given what retrieved you, there's a decent chance that you're now enjoying the dictator's finest POW accommodations.

Yooper posted:

The Sultan has an update for us. (Thanks to Jimmy400nav for putting this, and a few other surprises together)

Sorry, but where is this update? I can't find a link.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 30, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I think I'd like to be a pilot after all, callsign Tonguebath.

e: if at all possible I'd like to fly a French aircraft or some wacky little thing like an Alphajet or something.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Hey, Im like 4th in line for a plane.

Put me in coach Im ready

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Zakalwe actually did something today that wasn't refueling Huzzah!!

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
wow that last mission was just a grog version of this clusterfuck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g7Z-dDgmDM :v: "quantity is a quality in it's own"
voting K&P purely because the american package only has ONE F-15 come on

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah maybe it's only 1 F-15 but it's an F-15 and that's worth like 6 boring european planes. I'd go for the Ivanov package but that boat seems a bit underwhelming so I'd rather hold out.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

El Spamo posted:

Also, what were some of the firsts and crazy things that went on in the big fight at the end there? I mean, I know that it was a bloodbath and an incredible mixup but beyond the fact that it was TopGunx3 what are some of the technical bits that's got the military geeks all in a tizzy?

A Yak-28 Brewer showed up, an aircraft that hasn't been in service for over 30 years. That's actually one of the Phantom gun kills that we got, straight out of the 1950s60s

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Popete posted:

Is there a kill list for this last missions anywhere? I'd like to see who did what.

Cathode and I scored the first Phantom gun kill since Vietnam and that's all that matters

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Can I sign up for the pilot pool under the call sign Bluetick. Eventually I'd love to be in a combat aircraft but I also feel like my name is perfect for Recon so whatever opens up?

This whole thing is amazing.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Crazycryodude posted:

Cathode and I scored the first Phantom gun kill since Vietnam and that's all that matters

I think our missiles missed, though, because our missiles are garbage. If we had non-garbage missiles that would have been ~1-2 more kills.

We got to think long and hard before we deliberately use any Phantoms for CAP is what I'm saying. Last mission was an exception because last mission we were desperate.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cathode Raymond posted:

I think our missiles missed, though, because our missiles are garbage. If we had non-garbage missiles that would have been ~1-2 more kills.

We got to think long and hard before we deliberately use any Phantoms for CAP is what I'm saying. Last mission was an exception because last mission we were desperate.

Your airframe either gets retired a fighter, or lives long enough to see itself a bomb truck.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Cathode Raymond posted:

It was a hell of a lot better than the disaster that would have occurred if our bomb trucks didn't have the ability to be desperation CAP

phantoms are da bes

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

El Spamo posted:

Among other things:
S-300 vs HARMs/SDBs
HAWKs (or anything, really) vs Su-30
Rafale and MICA EM's first real air to air engagement (I think? there certainly haven't been many)
All kinds of EWAR dueling, including a combat sighting of that Chinese AEW aircraft

The EWAR/signals data alone would be worth an absolute fortune to the US and others like it.

e: to clarify: a lot of this stuff is known pretty well in theory. But nobody's ever actually tried to shoot down an Su-30MK with surface fire before. People that expect to have to face those would love to know details of how it tried to evade incoming shots and how effective it was, especially things like its DECM suite. Russia sure as poo poo doesn't publish that data.

e2: Hell, Russia itself would probably love to buy that info so they can make the next ones better!

power crystals fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Think we can trade the data to the US for an Arleigh Burke?