Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

nazca posted:

I was in the marines. Some of my seniors wanted a DD to go out drinking. They borrowed a car and asked me if I could drive a stick. I said "no", having never done it before. They said okay we're going to get the car and when he asks you your answer is magically going to change to yes. I know more things now and knowing what I know now it wasn't a very good car to learn on. It was a sporty BMW and it didn't exactly have the friendliest clutch. There are much easier cars to learn to drive a stick on.

It still had a transmission when we got back though so that was cool.

a beemer full of piss drunk pissed off sergeants sounds like the perfect way to learn to drive stick if youre writing a screwball comedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nazca

Lord and Savior of KarmaFleet

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

a beemer full of piss drunk pissed off sergeants sounds like the perfect way to learn to drive stick if youre writing a screwball comedy

If only it was funny at the time...

Signature lovingly crafted by Jinh.

Twenty Four

nazca posted:

If only it was funny at the time...

Exactly! Younger me was terrified and pissed off, but now I think it is pretty funny, at least since nothing really bad happened.

Manifisto

:hf: stick shift anecdote buddies, we survived and can laugh about it now, but at the time . . .

Lastgirl

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Putty posted:

in byob is it illegal to take left turns

*does donuts counterclockwise in my hellcat*

:c00lbert:

eonwe

Lastgirl posted:

*does donuts counterclockwise in my hellcat*

:c00lbert:

im gonna arrest you

nazca

Lord and Savior of KarmaFleet

Twenty Four posted:

Exactly! Younger me was terrified and pissed off, but now I think it is pretty funny, at least since nothing really bad happened.

It is funny now-a-days, maybe i'll tell that story to more people and see if they laugh.

Signature lovingly crafted by Jinh.

FluffieDuckie

Twenty Four posted:

I've been busy throwing some cool parties and stuff, so just now catching up on byob, but about learning to drive manual transmission from a few pages ago:

When I was a kid, I knew there was a basically zero chance of my parents or anyone getting me a car or whatever, so I started saving up for one when I was young. Like less then 10 years old young, saving birthday money, mowing lawns, doing some probably illegal child labor type stuff (nothing really bad, just, not entirely on the up and up). So before I even had my drivers license, I bought a little old toyota pickup for cheap. It wasn't pretty, but it ran well.

Living in a pretty big city at the time, I went with my dad and bought it from some guy on the other side of town, like 30 or 40 miles away. Money was exchanged, title signed over, etc. Then my dad gets in his truck and says "see you at home" and drives off leaving me there. With no license, no insurance, and never having driven stick before in my life (though I understood the concept). Following me would have made sense, or getting someone else to bring it home, but nope! With well over 30 miles of rush hour city driving ahead of me, I stalled mid intersection a bunch and was pretty panicked, especially knowing if anything happened I was screwed not even being old enough to have a license and no insurance, which is also illegal here.

I made it home okay, though I had some choice words for my dad when I got there, and my mom was pretty pissed at him too. But, I guess I learned to drive stick? In retrospect I think it is a pretty funny story, and my dad is actually a really cool guy, he usually never does crap like that.

this is exactly how i learned. dad took me to the town next to ours, bought me a new car, and said "see you at home". my mom would have had a fit if they weren't already divorced

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Elusif

I have never been probated and never will be.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elusif

Who the heck is Hughe Brist?

SHY NUDIST GRRL

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

You're lucky I'm at work mister

Manifisto

FluffieDuckie posted:

this is exactly how i learned. dad took me to the town next to ours, bought me a new car, and said "see you at home". my mom would have had a fit if they weren't already divorced

requesting "stickshift sink or swim" gangtag

although maybe "baptism by fire" is the more badass metaphor?

Elusif

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

You're lucky I'm at work mister

Phew

Elusif

*Looks at camera*

I mean... What's the worst that could happen?

Foehammer007

by Pragmatica

FluffieDuckie posted:

I bought myself a GTI without knowing how to drive stick but I was determined to learn, I had a friend drive it away from the guy I bought it from and then he turned it over to me. Was a fun hour drive home through the north Georgia mountains.

City of Glompton

I learned to drive stick on a CJ5 jeep and it was not easy but at least I didn't have to do it to get home, jeez

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Impkins Patootie

^ that is what i get for wandering around the woods instead of heading to the beach as planned (it's chilly out - just like the serpent who temporarily allowed my presence and un photo)

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

eonwe posted:

im gonna arrest you

when the precedent does it that means its not illegal

byob historian

Who the heck is Hughe Brist?

i went 9 years without a probe til shinji got mad when i pointed out an inconvenient political truth

now ive got so many autographs im the greetest :3:

Twenty Four

FluffieDuckie posted:

At least he bought it for you unlike me, so thats a bonus! I never expected anyone to do so, but the courtesy follow home would have been nice for both of us! Or at least not the follow up of "hell no you cant drive the truck you just bought with the money you saved up for years now! Thats illegal!" Like that one time was totally okay, tough love, but now that I want to go to the movies with my friends, nope! To be young again...

Manifisto posted:

*nods*

nazca posted:

It is funny now-a-days, maybe i'll tell that story to more people and see if they laugh.

:yeah:

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless

Robot Made of Meat

On the "stickshift sink or swim" front, the place I worked for at my second job had a van with 3-on-the-tree.

One weekend, I was going from town to town for work, and I decided to bring my friend along to keep me company. We were chatting about this and that, and he said he'd never driven a manual transmission. I looked back down the highway, and saw that there was no traffic, so I stopped in the middle of the road, got out, and told him that he might as well learn. He hesitated, and I told him that there was a car coming so he'd better hurry.

Luckily, he saw the humor in the situation, and he did a pretty good job.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Peg Sliderskew

This, but with dogs.

Courtesy of Manifisto

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Manifisto posted:

:agreed:

Twenty Four

Robot Made of Meat posted:

On the "stickshift sink or swim" front, the place I worked for at my second job had a van with 3-on-the-tree.

One weekend, I was going from town to town for work, and I decided to bring my friend along to keep me company. We were chatting about this and that, and he said he'd never driven a manual transmission. I looked back down the highway, and saw that there was no traffic, so I stopped in the middle of the road, got out, and told him that he might as well learn. He hesitated, and I told him that there was a car coming so he'd better hurry.

Luckily, he saw the humor in the situation, and he did a pretty good job.

A good friend. Meaning you. Also probably him!

vanisher

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Peg Sliderskew

I sort of love you.

Courtesy of Manifisto

SHY NUDIST GRRL

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

BYOB: I sort of love you

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

City of Glompton

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

eonwe

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Macnult

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

thanks Manifisto!

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Jurys sort of out, change it

alnilam

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

FluffieDuckie posted:

your dad is a jerk D:

i'm sorry! driving by yourself like that has to be terrifying. ack.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Impkins Patootie

Twenty Four posted:

I've been busy throwing some cool parties and stuff, so just now catching up on byob, but about learning to drive manual transmission from a few pages ago:

When I was a kid, I knew there was a basically zero chance of my parents or anyone getting me a car or whatever, so I started saving up for one when I was young. Like less then 10 years old young, saving birthday money, mowing lawns, doing some probably illegal child labor type stuff (nothing really bad, just, not entirely on the up and up). So before I even had my drivers license, I bought a little old toyota pickup for cheap. It wasn't pretty, but it ran well.

Living in a pretty big city at the time, I went with my dad and bought it from some guy on the other side of town, like 30 or 40 miles away. Money was exchanged, title signed over, etc. Then my dad gets in his truck and says "see you at home" and drives off leaving me there. With no license, no insurance, and never having driven stick before in my life (though I understood the concept). Following me would have made sense, or getting someone else to bring it home, but nope! With well over 30 miles of rush hour city driving ahead of me, I stalled mid intersection a bunch and was pretty panicked, especially knowing if anything happened I was screwed not even being old enough to have a license and no insurance, which is also illegal here.

I made it home okay, though I had some choice words for my dad when I got there, and my mom was pretty pissed at him too. But, I guess I learned to drive stick? In retrospect I think it is a pretty funny story, and my dad is actually a really cool guy, he usually never does crap like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this is the best thing to happen today. (i'm probably next to get the probie, and tha'ts ok