Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lolling how third way weirdos look up to Hamilton, he was a 1 percenter who didn't think the masses should have any part in democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sebastien Lenorman
Apr 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Biden would've won.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Sebastien Lenorman posted:

Biden would've groped.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

*jerks massive, turgid dick*

*cums massive, huge loads all over my keyboard, repeatedly*

*the tremendous weight of my jism slapping against the keys begins typing words*

In this framework, taking money from an investment bank in the form of a speaking fee is not immoral, it is eminently reasonable. Investment bankers are smart. They allocate resources. That’s why they have power. That’s who elites should be associating with.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

nigga crab pollock posted:

*the tremendous weight of my jism slapping against the keys begins typing words*

Same

firebeats
May 8, 2016

A real loving idiot posted:

You don’t, for instance, want random protesters setting nuclear policy, you want generals and experts doing that. You don’t want anyone to be able to organize a search engine, you want the best technologists in the business doing that, doing it well, and doing it for everyone. That’s not just power, it’s the right way to run a society.

Yes, the power to set nuclear policy poses as much threat as the power to run a webcrawler on a computer. :downs:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Wouldn't a democracy be so much better without all the stupid poors ruining everything?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

bernie is being a cuck again

https://twitter.com/Delo_Taylor/status/858481385748779009

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
He would have won

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

nigga crab pollock posted:

In this framework, taking money from an investment bank in the form of a speaking fee is not immoral, it is eminently reasonable. Investment bankers are smart. They allocate resources. That’s why they have power. That’s who elites should be associating with.

firebeats posted:

Yes, the power to set nuclear policy poses as much threat as the power to run a webcrawler on a computer. :downs:
I think you're both misreading what he's actually arguing in this piece. He's not advocating for these positions but giving (what he perceives to be) a rundown of the framework that Obama utilized during his presidency. This is the same guy who wrote this: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/how-democrats-killed-their-populist-soul/504710/

Agree or disagree, but the sections you both seem to be responding to aren't his positions, they're his conception of a neoliberal worldview.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gently caress him

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Death to Israel and death to America

firebeats
May 8, 2016

The Landstander posted:

I think you're both misreading what he's actually arguing in this piece. He's not advocating for these positions but giving (what he perceives to be) a rundown of the framework that Obama utilized during his presidency. This is the same guy who wrote this: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/how-democrats-killed-their-populist-soul/504710/

Agree or disagree, but the sections you both seem to be responding to aren't his positions, they're his conception of a neoliberal worldview.

A real loving bad writer, then posted:

You don’t want anyone to be able to organize a search engine

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

quote:

As a policy leader, Obama’s Presidency was largely defined by the financial crisis. The government’s response, organized first by Bush and then Obama, had a moral core. This moral core framed concentrations of financial power not as threats to liberty and democracy, but as vehicles to deliver efficiency and social justice. You don’t, for instance, want random protesters setting nuclear policy, you want generals and experts doing that. You don’t want anyone to be able to organize a search engine, you want the best technologists in the business doing that, doing it well, and doing it for everyone. That’s not just power, it’s the right way to run a society.
The "you" is the theoretical leader using the Bush/Obama moral core, hence the "for instance".

He's not advocating for this moral core or suggesting that as policy, he's describing a neoliberal mindset and approach to policy.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
seriously, can the people in this effin thread not read? you guys remind me of the undergrads i molest

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It is my opinion that Obama is a Hamiltonian chiefly because he wasted his shot.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Soup du Journey posted:

seriously, can the people in this effin thread not read? you guys remind me of the undergrads i molest

If there is one thing that I have learned in my years on this forum it is that goons are illiterate and pay no loving attention to anything and miss the most obvious, plainly spelled out points in all media

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Blue Train posted:

If there is one thing that I have learned in my years on this forum it is that goons are illiterate and pay no loving attention to anything and miss the most obvious, plainly spelled out points in all media

You gotta limit your poo poo to like two sentences like you would in an in-person conversation. I'm not gonna read paragraphs of poo poo unless it's erotica.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Amarcarts posted:

You gotta limit your poo poo to like two sentences like you would in an in-person conversation. I'm not gonna read paragraphs of poo poo unless it's erotica.

i doubt you can make it past two sentences then either

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

It is my opinion that Obama is a Hamiltonian chiefly because he wasted his shot.

lmao

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Soup du Journey posted:

This thread is about a book that like three people in it have read

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
touche

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Eh, no one's perfect.

Edit: WARREN / #VP 2020

:toot:

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 30, 2017

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

The Landstander posted:

Thank you

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
let's stop doing politics please. it's just a bunch of power hungry losers screwing everyone else.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Maya Fey posted:

right this moment a bunch of "liberal" dipshits are rushing to the defense of the Wendy's twitter account because a comedy account called their mascot a "bitch" and ragged on them for being woke online while actively working to gently caress over their workers

EDIT: Oh, I see, they're replacing workers with kiosks.

Yeah, that does suck.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

phasmid posted:

:wow:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Reminder that Obama signed into law the explicit use of propaganda against American citizens.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

revmoo posted:

Reminder that Obama signed into law the explicit use of propaganda against American citizens.

Which bill was that?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Amarcarts posted:

Which bill was that?

http://investmentwatchblog.com/obama-signs-christmas-bill-making-alternative-media-illegal/

This is not the first time that the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) was used to disguise a piece of legislation. Back in 2012, Obama signed a law that allowed for the “indefinite detention of American citizens” without a judge or jury. Then in 2013, Obama signed an NDAA bill that packaged an end to the Smith-Mundit act that prevented the government from using propaganda against its own citizens enabling the government again to legally produce propaganda.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUymQKZqP6w

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

He had me up until he called Hillary his one hope for America and that everyone is treating her badly because she's a woman.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
on some reflection, i really have to wonder why y'all acting all glum in saying "nothing matters." that should be grounds for celebration, but more importantly, liberation; if the outcome changed from your expectations, then gently caress it -- that means the rules changed with them.

will that mean that every idea will work? i couldn't loving tell you, but what do we have to lose in trying them? democrats lose power? gently caress, that's entirely uncharted territory, good thing we've been there for loving ever already.

that's why i say get the yard signs, push for better candidates, treat voters like fellow human beings, do poo poo to earn their votes, promise them free poo poo without means testing precisely for the reason that nothing loving matters.

unless you're sad because the old rules were how you made your bread and butter, in which case, fukkin' lol that y'all got left holding that bag of manure.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(actually, that last line was a little unfair -- things can grow from manure)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Counterpoint: vote from the rooftops

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and i just realized i posted this in the wrong loving thread but you know what? gently caress it, nothing matters.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

gently caress it, nothing matters.

same

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

and i just realized i posted this in the wrong loving thread but you know what? gently caress it, nothing matters.

It was still nice to see you :)

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

This is cringe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Rutibex posted:

How is that a joke? I mean I guess Obamas ethics are the joke? :confused:

Repeating the statement and adding "gently caress you" sure seems like the winning formula of openness and inclusion that swept the Dems into power

• Locked thread