Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Yinlock posted:

yeah but it's just more wasted time, to say nothing of mementos itself which is a massive time waster if you don't time your visits

edit: time time time, time time

The game is very much balanced around letting you see all the meaningful content in a single playthrough, though? As long as you don't dilly-dally. In the moment it might feel like "argh, now i have to WASTE A DAY!", but that's just part of the process for doing that specific request.

Besides, those are all as optional as it gets - I think one or two of them drop some books, and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

The game is very much balanced around letting you see all the meaningful content in a single playthrough, though? As long as you don't dilly-dally. In the moment it might feel like "argh, now i have to WASTE A DAY!", but that's just part of the process for doing that specific request.

Besides, those are all as optional as it gets - I think one or two of them drop some books, and that's it.

fair enough, and like i said i do regret guiding it up

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i'm pretty sure liking old chie is a meme

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You can burn through an entire Mementos block in a day just by saving it for after you clear the Palace. By then you'll be leveled high enough to steamroll through the place and pick up some pretty good money in the process.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sea Sponge Run posted:

i'm pretty sure liking old chie is a meme

slap some black-bordered all-caps white impact font and a 9GAG logo on me and call me extremely unfunny then

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can burn through an entire Mementos block in a day just by saving it for after you clear the Palace. By then you'll be leveled high enough to steamroll through the place and pick up some pretty good money in the process.

oh getting through mementos is no problem, I just don't like having to constantly go there for s-links

e: like I LIKE Mementos, driving around a big grindy dungeon in a cat van owns, and I like doing phantom thief stuff to advance s-links, I just don't like never knowing when I'll be roadblocked until I go there

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 30, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

basically following a guide for the social stuff was a Bad Choice that made everything seem way more time-critical than it actually was

Don't Do Guides Kids

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here is endorph's pro. s. link maxing guide:

get chihaya to rank 7 as soon as possible.

grats, you can now max every s. link in the game.

edit: also i didnt use a guide and i only made like 8 big trips to mementos. it's pretty easy to figure out, through the human power of pattern recognition, that most s. links will send you there around rank 7 or 8.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I think it's literally every non-party member link except Sun (and Strength, obviously) that send you to Mementos, now that I stop to consider it. Apart from the automatic ones, of course.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
just go to mementos after like every other palace and you're pretty much good

chihaya's rank 7 is also absurdly op yeah. the 100% G-Frequently Asked Questions guide does not make use of it and also the last like three weeks of it are spent to beating all the games for the plat so this game is easy as hell to max out

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

here is endorph's pro. s. link maxing guide:

get chihaya to rank 7 as soon as possible.

grats, you can now max every s. link in the game.

edit: also i didnt use a guide and i only made like 8 big trips to mementos. it's pretty easy to figure out, through the human power of pattern recognition, that most s. links will send you there around rank 7 or 8.

the schedule i followed sends you there like 3-4 times, total

it does lead to me becoming comically over-leveled at certain points from a sudden ton of quest boss exp being dropped on me

e: i assumed there'd be a p4-like Time Crunch but apparently there's a ton of leeway welp

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 30, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yinlock posted:

it does lead to me becoming comically over-leveled at certain points from a sudden ton of quest boss exp being dropped on me
that sounds bad.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Yinlock posted:

I mean that guide also fits in all the video games and books without using Chihaya at all.

I used it and even then you have literal weeks of free time as long as you aren't achievement crazy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

I mean that guide also fits in all the video games and books without using Chihaya at all.

I used it and even then you have literal weeks of free time as long as you aren't achievement crazy.

yeah it was a mistake, in both p3 and p4 I barely missed full s-rank completion and one more day would have let me do it

I overcompensated

e: I managed to do it in P4G though :toot:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

that sounds bad.
eh, i only went about four times cause i really took the OP's warning about to heart so like, I just put on a podcast for the evening and chilled out for like two - three hours. doing like 10 times is probably better tho yeah

mementos is fine

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I used Fortune every day I was able and I still ended up with 2 links at 9 and Yusuke at 5.

I only finished one video game and I gave up doing any of them after that dice one hosed me over

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Moltrey posted:

eh, i only went about four times cause i really took the OP's warning about to heart so like, I just put on a podcast for the evening and chilled out for like two - three hours. doing like 10 times is probably better tho yeah

mementos is fine

it really is, I'm just whining because I ruined things for myself(still enjoying the game a lot though)

really the only actual bad thing is all the times morgana won't let me do anything at night because I need to spend 5 mins talking to someone the next day, morgana you're not my real dad let me party

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
In hindsight, I think I could have managed 100% social link completion using only my secret advance knowledge, if I hadn't known Tower and Devil were boring and aggressively ignored them. Now they're both rank 4 at the end of Palace 6, when the rest of my links are all 9s and 10s.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Does anyone know where Ryuji disappears to during December? He's the only Confidant I have left to max and he's nowhere to be found. I've already done the nighttime event where you meet him at the restaurant so it's not that

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Scrap Dragon posted:

Does anyone know where Ryuji disappears to during December? He's the only Confidant I have left to max and he's nowhere to be found. I've already done the nighttime event where you meet him at the restaurant so it's not that
I think he's in the Arcade on Central Street

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I actually wished I did Devil earlier but everyone was saying it sucked so I avoided it, and ended up grinding for Charm when Devil gives it to you as well so it was a waste. Tower also gives you Kindness and those social stats are kind of necessary

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

FractalSandwich posted:

In hindsight, I think I could have managed 100% social link completion using only my secret advance knowledge, if I hadn't known Tower and Devil were boring and aggressively ignored them. Now they're both rank 4 at the end of Palace 6, when the rest of my links are all 9s and 10s.

Tower at least gives you good perks - Bullet Hail is good, upgraded Bullet Hail is even better, Down Shot is good for Treasure Demons, being able to use Down Shot without consuming literally all of your ammo is also good. Plus, Arcana Burst EXP for Yoshitsune.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

Tower at least gives you good perks - Bullet Hail is good, upgraded Bullet Hail is even better, Down Shot is good for Treasure Demons, being able to use Down Shot without consuming literally all of your ammo is also good. Plus, Arcana Burst EXP for Yoshitsune.
The perks are very good. I wish they came in earlier and from a better character.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It is kinda bizarre that they tied all the cool gun poo poo to a social link that only comes in at the tail end of the game.

You'd think you'd want the player to be hype way earlier about your new/returning game feature.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Harlock posted:

I think he's in the Arcade on Central Street
Also remember that since he's a party member he won't want to hang out much until you've beaten the palace boss.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

bullet pouch is also good for people who love to burn through their ammo, like me

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

It is kinda bizarre that they tied all the cool gun poo poo to a social link that only comes in at the tail end of the game.

You'd think you'd want the player to be hype way earlier about your new/returning game feature.

Swap iwai and the kid imo

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Swap iwai and the kid imo

but then who will sell me model guns and also real swords

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Iwai's locked behind Guts 4 which is nearly as bad for such an early confidant whose stuff I never used.

Also Shinya's confidant is good.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I never bought any guns or did gun mods throughout my entire playthrough. I only saw them as a means to stagger so it doesn't matter if you do 4 damage or 14 damage.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Harlock posted:

I never bought any guns or did gun mods throughout my entire playthrough. I only saw them as a means to stagger so it doesn't matter if you do 4 damage or 14 damage.

I bought weapons and guns all the time, the only thing I didn't buy was armor

the almighty washing machine gives me all the armor I need

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Yinlock posted:

basically following a guide for the social stuff was a Bad Choice that made everything seem way more time-critical than it actually was

Don't Do Guides Kids

Guides are for jerks. What you really need to do is follow forum advice, ask questions for min/maxing in a forum, and keep up with the posts in a forum. This is very different from a gamefaqs guide because

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Motto posted:

Iwai's locked behind Guts 4 which is nearly as bad for such an early confidant whose stuff I never used.

Everyone complains about Morgana telling them to go to sleep but I disliked every time I went shopping he'd bug me about the gun bag.

Haru's guns are worth improving. The other really good gun is Makoto's and that's not at the shop

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 30, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Motto posted:

I don't think any stat roadblock can beat makoto's "lol you need max charm suddenly"

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Mailer posted:

Guides are for jerks. What you really need to do is follow forum advice, ask questions for min/maxing in a forum, and keep up with the posts in a forum. This is very different from a gamefaqs guide because
Because fusing personas of the Hermit arcana will now grant me bonus EXP through Arcana Burst.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wait I actually never improved Haru's guns because the mods increase damage but lower accuracy. I don't know how Accuracy affects crit chance but that seemed like a bad trade

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 30, 2017

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I didn't use Haru's grenade launcher a single time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I assume that gun skills go off the attack value of your gun and Haru's gun skills are good.

This actually made me realize that I spent 100 hours with this game without really understanding what any of the combat stats actually do

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Mailer posted:

Looking at a guide takes away all of actual thought behind attempting to max out confidants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

On the other hand I can see everything the game has to offer without going through 50 hours twice