Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sand Monster posted:

My main complaint about it is how they shoehorned in the Maya Rudolph character. I've detested her since her days on "SNL", so I'm probably biased, but I felt like her character was completely pointless and unfunny.

Today I learned that there are people who hate Maya Rudolph. I didn't even know that was possible.

Martman posted:

I swear to god, the moment I started watching The Discovery, Netflix showed a 4.5 star rating. As soon as I finish, it's at 2.5 stars. Is this their way of trolling me?

Either way, it was a pretty boring slog that had some hints of an interesting mystery but mostly devolved into a montage of generic melodramatic moments.

Yeah, it's a fascinating concept, but I grew bored by halfway through. I looked up the story on wikipedia, didn't enjoy the ending, so I just turned it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Discovery was definitely pretty disappointing for such an interesting concept.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's really crazy how much more engaging and well produced Legion is than all of the other marvel shows. That was one of the best and most unique shows I've seen in a good while. If you like superheroes but are getting burned out on the same overly traditional stories every time I definitely recommend checking it out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yo, The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu is loving incredible.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Another thumbs up for the Handmaid's tale. Only watched the pilot but the first three are up to get you hooked.

Looks gorgeous, I love Elizabeth Moss. Very great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Another thumbs up for the Handmaid's tale. Only watched the pilot but the first three are up to get you hooked.

Looks gorgeous, I love Elizabeth Moss. Very great.

The ending of episode 3 was one of the most devastating images I've ever seen on any screen ever

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The handmaid's tale is pure women horror. Almost every scene gives me anxiety in some way.

Teen Dystopia : kinda exciting and might be fun to live in
Adult Dystopia: terrifying to the core

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Alterian posted:

The handmaid's tale is pure women horror. Almost every scene gives me anxiety in some way.

Sounds like they're doing their job, that's basically how the book goes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man I gotta check this show out.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's a more revolting vision of America conquered by freedom-hating totalitarians than the show literally about Nazis winning WWII.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You guys ain't kidding. The Handmaid's Tale is just grim.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Casting Jeanbenet is different. I'm fifteen minutes in, but it's not the usual documentary style. It's not a documentary about the Jeanbenet Ramsay murder, but it's about the collective memory about the murder. The conciet is that they're filming a movie-version of the murder, but the meat of the documentary is interviewing who are auditioning to play the actors in the "movie." The actors aren't expert witnesses, but most seem to be people who live around the town and some even tangenienly knew the Ramsays.

I was super young when the murder happened, so I was looking forward to learning something about this unsolved mystery that's been in tabloids for a majority of my life. I'm not sure this is going to answer those questions though.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Detective No. 27 posted:

Casting Jeanbenet is different. I'm fifteen minutes in, but it's not the usual documentary style. It's not a documentary about the Jeanbenet Ramsay murder, but it's about the collective memory about the murder. The conciet is that they're filming a movie-version of the murder, but the meat of the documentary is interviewing who are auditioning to play the actors in the "movie." The actors aren't expert witnesses, but most seem to be people who live around the town and some even tangenienly knew the Ramsays.

I was super young when the murder happened, so I was looking forward to learning something about this unsolved mystery that's been in tabloids for a majority of my life. I'm not sure this is going to answer those questions though.

What movie is this?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Casting Jonbenet, on Netflix. I didn't realize I was misspelling her name wrong the whole time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Casting jeanbenet is the title.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Detective No. 27 posted:

Casting Jonbenet, on Netflix. I didn't realize I was misspelling her name wrong the whole time.

Oh, my bad.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I got about 70% of the way through this movie before asking myself why I was still watching it. I was pretty young when all this happened as well, and was looking forward to learning more also. The format is kind of interesting, but then you realize that it's just a bunch of random people's memories, ideas about what happened, and half-remembered rumors. Not exactly substantial stuff. It's basically an unsolved-child-murder version of Room 237.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
double posting

mystes
May 31, 2006

Alterian posted:

Teen Dystopia : kinda exciting and might be fun to live in
Adult Dystopia: terrifying to the core
The Handmaid's Tale is scaring the crap out of me but thank you, you have given me hope. Now I can pray that when the US turns into a dystopia it's at least a fun dystopia.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'd be curious how people who have read the book are finding The Handmaid's Tale, if there's any here. Are you getting something new out of it?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

After finishing Casting Jonbenet, my thoughts are ban beauty pageants.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

My favorite thing about The Handmaid's Tale (I think someone mentioned this earlier but it bears repeating) is every single practice or atrocity it depicts really happened in history at some point, just not all at the same time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'd be curious how people who have read the book are finding The Handmaid's Tale, if there's any here. Are you getting something new out of it?

Yes, very much so. It's fantastic.

Detective No. 27 posted:

After finishing Casting Jonbenet, my thoughts are ban beauty pageants.

Yeah... that was a hard watch, especially casting the pedophile guy who confessed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also I didn't realize American Gods had started airing until I was looking up articles on The Handmaid's Tale and found cross-links to articles complaining that American Gods is "confusing," no doubt a good sign. :laffo:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh poo poo I forgot about American Gods and I've been looking forward to it. To STARZ!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also I didn't realize American Gods had started airing until I was looking up articles on The Handmaid's Tale and found cross-links to articles complaining that American Gods is "confusing," no doubt a good sign. :laffo:

I think it starts tonight.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.
A Handmaid's Tale is excellent, though it is a show that leaves one feeling pretty terrible. Highly recommended if you don't mind dealing with dystopian nightmares.

If you're looking for something a bit more light, Dear White People is really, really good and funny. It really felt like a genuine character driven comedy about black college students who are figuring themselves out on one hand and trying to stir up a social movement on the other hand. It's the sort of thing that reminds me a lot of campus politics and clubs from when I was in college. I'm not black myself, but I still thought the show has some of the most relatable characters I've seen because they're realistically flawed in interesting and often hilarious ways. I dunno, my attitude is more informed by my time when I was involved in LGBT community stuff at my college, but I just found it really endearing how the never shies away from showing how immature and insecure 20 year olds participating in campus politics can be while still effectively showing how certain institutional biases make campus politics a game you are forced to play when you look or act a certain way. The titular character really seems to want, more than anything, for race to be an issue she doesn't define who she is anymore.
That was a little wordy, but trust me the show is funny and goes down easy. After the first few episodes of A Handmaid's Tale it made for a nice break.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is Dear White People as good as the movie was? Not that the movie was amazing, but it was very solid, just asking for a general barometer of how the two compare.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

precision posted:

Is Dear White People as good as the movie was? Not that the movie was amazing, but it was very solid, just asking for a general barometer of how the two compare.

have heard that the show is better than the movie but can't really confirm it. I've never seen the movie to be honest, and I can't really imagine how they would compare. The show is ten episodes, and it doesn't feel like there's anything in the story that needs to be cut at all, I just started last night and blew through it without even trying. I have trouble believing the movie would have the time to be as good as this show is.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

I've seen both. I think the show is far better than the movie, which was good. The show really gives them the opportunity to explore the characters with added depth, as well as the heavy issues they discuss.

Watch it. It's good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sounds good!

American Gods is pretty great already, Ian McShane is a delight. And the title credits are gorgeous and have great music.

e: Though I don't know that I'd pay for the Starz add-on for Prime if you don't already have it and can watch it when it airs later

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

precision posted:

Sounds good!

American Gods is pretty great already, Ian McShane is a delight. And the title credits are gorgeous and have great music.

e: Though I don't know that I'd pay for the Starz add-on for Prime if you don't already have it and can watch it when it airs later

Is there somewhere to watch this already?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Is there somewhere to watch this already?

Yeah, it's up on Starz.com or the app if you have a Starz subscription, and might be up on On Demand as well, I can't check at the moment.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I finished (re)watching Kimmy Schmidt after finishing 30 Rock. I need something to watch now. I'm considering Parks and Rec but I watched that as it aired until I gradually gave up and stopped around like season 4 or 5.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wouldn't continue then if you have already watched the first 4 seasons. Parks and Rec is great for like 3 or 4 seasons and takes a nose dive. By the end it's barely watchable.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

veni veni veni posted:

I wouldn't continue then if you have already watched the first 4 seasons. Parks and Rec is great for like 3 or 4 seasons and takes a nose dive. By the end it's barely watchable.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but Parks and Rec's high point is definitely seasons 2-4.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Actually it was good all the way through, unlike kimmy schmidt

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I dunno I thought it felt like the office where the last couple of seasons seemed like a parody of the original show. I really couldn't stand the last season and maybe the one before that.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I dunno I thought it felt like the office where the last couple of seasons seemed like a parody of the original show. I really couldn't stand the last season and maybe the one before that.

Ed Helms can,t carry the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm making my rounds through the Hulu catalog to find the gems. I just finished up Legion and The Handmaid's Tale, now I'm starting on Fargo. Are there any other shows of comparable quality up on Hulu that aren't on other services?