Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Gonorrhea
Feb 11, 2008

Son of Ass Pharaoh
so after years of only using hoxhud (and more recently not using any mods because hoxhud is dead) I finally installed goonmod. I waited patiently while the community event was ongoing knowing the drill as far as modders having to react to changes in game is concerned, but a week after the event ends and goonmod is still down I come here, only to find on this very page that apparently goonmod is dead now too, haha.

From hoxhud I most miss the laser options, the ability to press once and release to interact with things, and the in game kill count display for the whole team.

In the past I've simply googled 'hoxhud' and 'goonmod' directly since I was familiar with those names, can someone recommend to me mods I can install to get those features back as well as reputable/safe locations to find them?

e: new page sorry for the low content, goonmod confirmed dead on the last page I guess (and probably several pages before that)

King Gonorrhea fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

King Gonorrhea posted:

In the past I've simply googled 'hoxhud' and 'goonmod' directly since I was familiar with those names, can someone recommend to me mods I can install to get those features back as well as reputable/safe locations to find them?

goonmods are in the safehouse.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

King Gonorrhea posted:

so after years of only using hoxhud (and more recently not using any mods because hoxhud is dead) I finally installed goonmod. I waited patiently while the community event was ongoing knowing the drill as far as modders having to react to changes in game is concerned, but a week after the event ends and goonmod is still down I come here, only to find on this very page that apparently goonmod is dead now too, haha.

From hoxhud I most miss the laser options, the ability to press once and release to interact with things, and the in game kill count display for the whole team.

e: new page sorry for the low content, goonmod confirmed dead on the last page I guess (and probably several pages before that)

Goonmod mostly works, you just need to enable/disable the features you want. There are probably standalone mods for each of the functions you're looking for, though, that would better suit your needs.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Half of what was in Goonmod is now in the main game. What's left is mostly crash bugs and lasers.

This standalone laser mod is... acceptable, I guess? Changing the colours by editing the lua file itself is less than ideal but at least it works.
https://modworkshop.net/mydownloads.php?action=view_down&did=15763

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

King Gonorrhea posted:

Wolfhud has all of those features and more besides. It is still being updated, albeit erratically. This (github download link) is the version I'm using and it's stable with the current version of the game.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Wastrel_ posted:

Wolfhud has all of those features and more besides. It is still being updated, albeit erratically. This (github download link) is the version I'm using and it's stable with the current version of the game.
Oh, did the swan song crash bug get fixed? Nice.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Consider the following.

Dragon's Breath crit build for One Down. Keeping all but two units in the game stunlocked while also dealing more damage than most weapons can scrape up for OD. If allowed to burn fully, of course.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
can u change it up so there's only 1 unit not stunned so u can call it the one dude build

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Consider the following: use my surrender trick on lab rats or cook off.

PS Plan Z wears a funny hat

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the one dude one down build

stick with me kid i've got a million of these hot marketing takes

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I've got a bad case of one downs

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler

Coolguye posted:

can u change it up so there's only 1 unit not stunned so u can call it the one dude build

Given there will be one medic in a typical swarm of cops, this will likely be the case every time.

Then you give that one dude a Judge to the skull.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

well i think we done did found your steam guide advertising strategy

good work all, drinks are on me

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

For the benefit of newer players, when we reference goldfarb or Dark Souls, this is what we're referring to.

http://kotaku.com/its-basically-the-dark-souls-of-heist-games-748899444

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Discendo Vox posted:

For the benefit of newer players, when we reference goldfarb or Dark Souls, this is what we're referring to.

http://kotaku.com/its-basically-the-dark-souls-of-heist-games-748899444
loving lol, thank you for sharing this, I had never seen it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I love how the game today only vaguely resembles the game Goldfarb describes in that article. It took years, but the developers finally fixed the game and de-Goldfarbed it.

Goldfarb posted:

Some of the loot is so rare, you'd have to play three years to get it, Goldfarb told me.

Hahahahaha. I guess he's right though, I've been playing for over three years so by now and there are still a ton of Infamous masks I've just never gotten and never will.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

I love how the game today only vaguely resembles the game Goldfarb describes in that article. It took years, but the developers finally fixed the game and de-Goldfarbed it.
Except for the gunfeel. Despite all efforts, it continues to be good.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Golfarb posted:

"If you gently caress up bad enough [on a mission]," Goldfarb said, "We can trigger an escape which is a whole set of different maps. Instead of going to the docks you could end up in a park, bleeding out, surrounded by cops and having to move the bag to another van."

Ah, yes. The days when escapes were literally nothing but punishment for players playing the game the way they wanted to. They didn't even give extra experience at that time!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Consider the following: use my surrender trick on lab rats or cook off.

PS Plan Z wears a funny hat

Only because my Goony Noggin can't actually wear normal human hats.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Nothing was quite as fun as getting garage escape on day 2 of DW pro Rats when you'd done a full cook.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

watho posted:

Nothing was quite as fun as getting garage escape on day 2 of DW pro Rats when you'd done a full cook.

Buried many good men during those days.

Rio goldfarb's vision

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

watho posted:

Making it such that an escape is a possibility when players have done a full cook is a dick move. At least these days it gives extra experience. Previously it was solely a way to gently caress players over - 'you've played the heist in the exact way it was supposed to be played, here now have an arbitrary obstacle to completion because gently caress you.'

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

watho posted:

This but unironically. Getting a 5 Day Pro DW Rats with a Full Cook and coming out alive on the other end was one of the best moments I've had with this game.

Edit: Oh yeah and stealing the meth back. I've done this exactly once, but it was the most intense thing.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The best part was telling goons not to use the vantage point on day 3 because it's a deathtrap. And then when somebody ignored my advice anyway, it would cause a team wipe because of the stupid "no one left behind" mentality.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Sometimes getting turbofucked by bad luck can be really fun, and I do mean that sincerely, but the escapes are just not rare and interesting enough to be fun for me.

^^^ gotta love when someone walks out into the open, gets killed instantly and causes a chain of people trying to rez them and getting downed themselves.

watho fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 30, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

watho posted:

Sometimes getting turbofucked by bad luck can be really fun, and I do mean that sincerely, but the escapes are just not rare and interesting enough to be fun for me.

Yeah, I've never understood the anger over escapes, but at the same time they're all pretty dang bland and terribly uneven. Garage is high intensity due to the time limit and the likelihood you have a bunch of bags, but as long as you pick/saw the two doors it's pretty much a complete non-issue. Park is a total snoozefest due to lacking places to spawn cops close enough to the action. Overpass is a mess because no matter where you hold you're interacting with a tiny chunk of the map and its spawns. Street is dull and only has any bite because snipers. Cafe lacks cover and the titular cafe is actually probably the worst place to hold on the map.

It's kind of why I stick up for the armored transport jobs. They're the same style of concise map, but with actual objectives and at least a little more effort put into them. And hell, even for as poorly thought out as it was, having them have a chance to carry onward to the train job works better than shoehorning an escape into an existing heist and messing up the pacing. Of course, the transport jobs themselves can still generate an escape, so welp.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Escapes in the original version of the game gave absolutely no benefits for players - no extra money nor experience, and some of them were annoying as gently caress as well, Cafe being rightly pinpointed by many as a generally poo poo map especially if there were multiple bags to move. They were also used to punish players for not playing the game in the exact way the developers envisioned, eg Day 1 of Rats would have a guaranteed escape if you blew the lab. So the levels were not well-designed, got repetitive, and the concept of escapes was used as a means of compelling players to play exactly as the developers wanted them to. The fact that they gave no benefits at all only added to the sense that they were meant to punish players.

These days the escapes are still generally the same, but the chance of getting escapes seems to have been lowered and they also now grant experience. Pro jobs are also gone so there is no more sense of getting an extra arbitrary, do-or-die obstacle to completion even after players have completed all possible heist objectives (eg 7 bags on Day 1 of Rats). This has all made them just about palatable. Escapes in their original form were part of Goldfarb's stupid vision of using RNG to make the game artificially harder, and good riddance to that vision.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's worth mentioning that escape chances were, even at launch, determined by in-heist activity, particularly killing civilians, taking a long time, and blowing up the meth lab. I'll go ahead and copy over the info from the long guide for thread reference:

Escapes

Heists that have an escape attached will usually have a chance of about 10% to 25% to have an escape level if alarm went off. Every dead civilian adds 5% to this chance. The expert driver asset removes the chance entirely. If there are several possible escapes, they are all equally likely to occur.
If alarm goes off after all players have entered the escape zone, the stealth bonus is lost, but there will not be an escape. Day 1 of Framing Frame and day 2 of Rats enable escapes only after a delay: There is no escape as long as all players enter the escape zone before that.

Escape Achievement notes:
They See Me Baggin', They Hatin': On Rats, cook 6 bags and blow the lab. If you get overpass escape, carry on to day 2 and steal back the meth and payment, giving you 9 bags. Go loud, wait for long enough to enable an escape, steal all loot and pray for the 25% chance for an escape to trigger. Alternately, use Transport Harbor on Overkill or above, drill at least 3 trucks to guarantee getting 8 bags, and kill any civilians you see.
Cappuccino to Go, Please/King of the Hill/Bullet Dodger: Four Stores and kill all civilians.
You Shall Not Pass!: Get this while going for They See me Baggin'.

Other escape notes:
Overpass: Bain announces at the start whether to expect a van or helicopter (whether Bile or Twitch speaks is also an indication, of course). There is only one possible van location, at the parking lot.
Garage: After going up the staircase, it is possible to stick to the left and jump over the barrier, then hug the wall and cross over to the other side. Bring a saw to cut through doors into and out of the second stairwell to vastly simplify the escape.
Park: The van only arrives in streets which are not blocked by police vehicles.
Cafe: The map has three possible van locations, but the location closest to your spawn is disabled.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Escapes could be fun if they actually made a few more of them or varied them up a little. Outside of problems in difficulty and design philosophy and execution, the escapes are arguably the worst part of Payday 2 because they are just an abandoned concept now. Stunted, dead and floating around for you to occasionally find if you didn't get the asset that actually avoids it entirely.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ooh, thread question: What's the worst concept in Payday 2?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

guns

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

The blatant lie of hybrid stealth.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Card drops.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Discendo Vox posted:

A mysterious reclusive vape fiend still having to check Yahoo Answers to find the recipe for meth despite doing this god knows how many times for nearly four years now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Meldonox posted:

A mysterious reclusive vape fiend still having to check Yahoo Answers to find the recipe for meth despite doing this god knows how many times for nearly four years now.
Of the fact that the cook order changes mid-heist, usually for each cook. And Bain has to look it up each time.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
And god help us all he's the guy calling the shots.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Discendo Vox posted:

Death Vox :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

NOT YET! :getin:

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Stealth is an unenjoyable mess. There has to be a middle ground between "don't touch a single person, don't look at this computer, don't even THINK of a firearm in your mind's eye, or this guard smells your unwashed balls and calls the president" and "when I said stealth I really meant re-enact No Russian in this harvest and trustee before sitting on your hands for 5 minutes". If pagers were reworked at loving all - either they don't go off if you kill undetected or even a CHANCE to not go off - I would at least pretend to give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

HebrewMagic posted:

Stealth is an unenjoyable mess. There has to be a middle ground between "don't touch a single person, don't look at this computer, don't even THINK of a firearm in your mind's eye, or this guard smells your unwashed balls and calls the president" and "when I said stealth I really meant re-enact No Russian in this harvest and trustee before sitting on your hands for 5 minutes".

Stealth's fine. They've already done what you're asking for in recent heists.

HebrewMagic posted:

If pagers were reworked at loving all - either they don't go off if you kill undetected or even a CHANCE to not go off - I would at least pretend to give a gently caress.

That'd break all the maps.