Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The rich are not actually a put upon minority that needs to be protected from people making "eat the rich" jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You are even more pathetic than usual, Ef, go take a breather.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fados posted:

Kill the centrists, burn them all.

Seriously they are really bad. Progressives can probably get a lot more mileage from a huge portion of the deplorables than from this 10% of elite boot-licker democrats,

Kilroy posted:

That's funny because I think Democrats like you should be literally crushed by trapping them in a hydraulic press and flipping the switch.

All good and righteous posts, free from any hint of violent urges.

Agnosticnixie posted:

The rich are not actually a put upon minority that needs to be protected from people making "eat the rich" jokes.

I didn't say they needed to be, but on the other hand y'all don't need protection from me threatening to descend from heaven and burn you with the fire from my eyes, either.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

And yet, you haven't said poo poo to any of the people suggesting equally horrific violence in this thread, almost as if you're a sanctimonious mouse of a man. In fact, this entire line of thought is extremely hypocritical in a thread where people regularly talk about "purging" centrists, killing the rich, etc.

Ah yes, the wealthy and the centrists are the real victims here.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

I don't think you know what doubling down means.

when called out for misogynistic behavior, your immediate reaction was to say it wasn't your fault that you'd upset a bunch of shrieking feminists. if you are attempting to avoid the accusation of deep-rooted misogyny, this is not THE worst imaginable response, but it makes the top ten real easy.

then, as an encore, you moved on to rules lawyering about rape.

you know how the message of the Left to the Democratic establishment boils down, currently, to "shut up, you're not helping?"

you are not helping.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Ah yes, the wealthy and the centrists are the real victims here.

Who said anything about "victims," you loving moron?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Here's a hot take, on the something awful forums people joke about heinous poo poo all the time and maybe you shouldn't take every post as if it's some sort of PDF their PR department released.

Ze Pollack posted:

when called out for misogynistic behavior, your immediate reaction was to say it wasn't your fault that you'd upset a bunch of shrieking feminists. if you are attempting to avoid the accusation of deep-rooted misogyny, this is not THE worst imaginable response, but it makes the top ten real easy.

I'm not trying to avoid the accusation, I really don't give a gently caress what some random internet poster accuses me of. But I can't really say more than "that post was a joke in bad taste".

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 30, 2017

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

Here's a hot take, on the something awful forums people joke about heinous poo poo all the time and maybe you shouldn't take every post as if it's some sort of PDF their PR department released.

This is another thing you shouldn't say if you want to avoid the perception of misogyny.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

I didn't say they needed to be, but on the other hand y'all don't need protection from me threatening to descend from heaven and burn you with the fire from my eyes, either.

We know that; you're a Clintonista, so you're ineffectual in pretty much all regards.

That doesn't make how furious you get any less hilarious.:)

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, it is pathetic that y'all will shriek and shriek when I suggest going on shooting sprees at your local Democratic Party headquarters if you really think violence against centrists is acceptable, but I won't push it because I don't want to risk the 0.0000001% chance of one of you actually doing something.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

We know that; you're a Clintonista, so you're ineffectual in pretty much all regards.

That doesn't make how furious you get any less hilarious.:)

You'll be calling people Clintonistas when you're lead into the dock at your show trial, won't you?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

You'll be calling people Clintonistas when you're lead into the dock at your show trial, won't you?

You are so scared of the left, aren't you? No wonder you liked Clinton so much.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
I just don't understand how Hillary Clinton is "better" than "the left" in that regard. It doesn't really follow from Effectronica's posting that he believes Hillary Clinton would have been better than Bernie. At least he hasn't said as much as far as I can tell. There's no defense of anything, it's just pure attack.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

You are so scared of the left, aren't you? No wonder you liked Clinton so much.

Why would you think that I was suggesting it would be a bad thing? Lord knows that in any revolutionary situation people like you are going to (*fails to keep straight face*) regretfully face state violence in order to prevent you from assisting the reactionaries.

NewForumSoftware posted:

I just don't understand how Hillary Clinton is "better" than "the left" in that regard. It doesn't really follow from Effectronica's posting that he believes Hillary Clinton would have been better than Bernie. At least he hasn't said as much as far as I can tell. There's no defense of anything, it's just pure attack.

I'm thinking about the people who insisted that everyone in this thread knew there was more to existence than a dualistic struggle between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders and I'm laughing really sarcastically.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

I'm not trying to avoid the accusation, I really don't give a gently caress what some random internet poster accuses me of. But I can't really say more than "that post was a joke in bad taste".

You can, however, say something other than "it's not my fault a bunch of shrieking feminists got offended" in the future if the subject comes up.

It's a pretty neat trick, really. You'll be amazed how as you say fewer things like that you get much less poo poo for saying them.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The cool thing is that you can believe that the Democratic Party has failed but also disagree with the Berniecrat ideas for the future. Bernieist inability to understand that there are leftist criticisms of their beliefs goes a long way to explaining why, although Bernie is popular, Bernie candidates haven't been doing well in special elections and the Bernie movement's inability to engage with minority groups beyond the kind of LGBT people who would eagerly agree that homosexuality is bourgeois decadence, etc. seems impossible to overcome beyond passively waiting for people to come to them.

Indeed, the implicitly total nature of Bernieism is probably its greatest weakness.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Alienwarehouse posted:

I bet you believe Hillary telling the banks to "Cut it out!" was effective, too.

The bankers certainly didn't think so. Openly, too.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Bernie was just the most left option available. I imagine more than a few of us don't actually identify as social democrats but realize that it was the most realistic chance we had to at least change course this election cycle.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Condiv posted:

but in any case, you shouldn't even try to compare me not caring if NAFTA is repealed with you wanting red state dems to remain unfunded to punish people for bad choices or something.

i actually think getting rid of NAFTA will help people. you want to hurt people out of spite

Pathway to hell. Very centrist of you really.

You hurt more people with your idea btw. Way more.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

Bernie was just the most left option available. I imagine more than a few of us don't actually identify as social democrats but realize that it was the most realistic chance we had to at least change course this election cycle.

The other candidate for the greatest weakness of Bernieism is its belief that most Americans are secret communists who, I guess, are just waiting for the Great Maple Hope to get to revolution.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

SSNeoman posted:

Is there a decent article about what repealing NAFTA would even look like?

Brainiac Five posted:

The other candidate for the greatest weakness of Bernieism is its belief that most Americans are secret communists who, I guess, are just waiting for the Great Maple Hope to get to revolution.

lol I don't think most Americans are secret communists. I think the country will probably fail in the next 50 years due to conflicts arising due to climate change and break into religious enclaves that will make us envy the era of Trump. peak civilization and all that

voting Bernie in would have been like 30 years too late to really solve any of the structural issues that will lead to America's downfall but it'd at least be a step in the right direction for a change

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 30, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

The cool thing is that you can believe that the Democratic Party has failed but also disagree with the Berniecrat ideas for the future. Bernieist inability to understand that there are leftist criticisms of their beliefs

What are some of these criticisms? So far I haven't seen very many concrete criticisms.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

NewForumSoftware posted:

Effectronica isn't actually interested in supporting anyone or anything in this thread and is just amusing himself by being tediously contrarian. hth

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

What are some of these criticisms? So far I haven't seen very many concrete criticisms.

Well, of course you haven't.

gtrmp posted:

Effectronica isn't actually interested in supporting anyone or anything in this thread and is just amusing himself by being tediously contrarian. hth

Sorry you decided to squeak about "President Boyfriend", I guess.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Well, of course you haven't.

Indeed, that would be because you haven't offered any.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

SSNeoman posted:

Pathway to hell. Very centrist of you really.

like who? and how?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Indeed, that would be because you haven't offered any.

Well, of course you wouldn't see any criticism as valid, you shining star you! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Well, of course you wouldn't see any criticism as valid, you shining star you! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

In other words, you've still got nothing.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
A cool thing about the $15/hr minimum wage proposal is that no Bernout can explain why that number was picked.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

Is there a decent article about what repealing NAFTA would even look like?

Unfortunately no. The major issue is that it'll be a state-by-state problem. So the consequences will be felt differently state to state. Still, you can cobble the general idea:

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-nafta-us-jobs-2016-11

quote:

In fact, repealing NAFTA could raise costs, and therefore prices, for U.S. consumers, particularly in the automotive sector, Hufbauer said. And in general, producing consumer goods in the U.S. instead of abroad could mean higher prices for American shoppers on products like shoes, televisions, solar panels — and for other imported goods like iPhones.
Trump could feel backlash in particular from states like Texas — which processes 65% of the total trade between the U.S. and Mexico, according to Census Bureau data reported by the Austin American-Statesman.

Plus, the integrated supply chains provided by NAFTA means that even those products that are categorized as imports from Mexico may have materials and labor originating in the U.S.: 40 cents of every dollar spent on Mexican imports technically comes back to America for that reason, according to nonpartisan research group the Woodrow Wilson Center. For every dollar spent on Canadian imports, 25 cents comes back.

http://modernfarmer.com/2016/12/trumps-pledge-destroy-nafta-affect-agriculture/

quote:

Pulling out of NAFTA entirely is an extreme reaction that would send the entire continent into chaos. Companies which exist in more than one country (which is many of them; in agriculture, for example, beef producers often raise cattle in Mexico and slaughter in the US) would be forced to pick up and move, at their own expense. That expense could well put them out of business. If companies decide to deal with the tariffs, they could pass those price hikes onto the consumer, raising prices on food in the US.

Increased tariffs would make for more expensive food shipped from Mexico to the US—that includes coffee, vegetables, beer, liquor, chocolate, and fruit. On the reverse side, why wouldn’t Mexico slap a retaliatory tariff on exported American agricultural goods? Mexico imports hundreds of billions of dollars worth of corn, soy, pork, dairy, and fuel, among other agricultural products, from the US. It’s true that removing those tariffs created huge agribusiness corporations, but allowing them to pop back up wouldn’t force those huge agribusiness concerns to become family farms again—it’d just depress current markets for farm goods.

Agricultural trade between the US and Canada is much smaller than between the US and Mexico, but the biggest debate between the two countries in that arena is about dairy products…which are not actually affected by NAFTA at all. It’s possible that without NAFTA, Canada would try to impose tariffs similar to the existing ones for dairy on other agricultural products, which would hurt US farmers by reducing their export market, but, you know, who knows?

I like this one a lot, despite that final sentence. Indeed if Trump did pull out of NAFTA, they why shouldn't other countries react and respond?

If you got time for some "light reading", check this:

https://poseidon01.ssrn.com/deliver...0022097&EXT=pdf

quote:

Supply chains will be disrupted and US workers may be laid off or could lose their jobs permanently. Restricting supply from the major source of softwood lumber imported into the United States, namely Canada, will increase margins charged by US softwood lumber producers but will hurt both the US construction industry and US home buyers. The application of statutory powers by the president to impose duties could be challenged by Congress and in the US courts. Trading partners of the United States will retaliate, either by invoking dispute settlement procedures under the WTO or under other trade agreements, or simply resorting to self-help by erecting trade barriers against US goods. Trade retaliation sanctioned through WTO dispute settlement procedures can be very costly. For example, in the United States – Tax Treatment
for “Foreign Sales Corporations,” an arbitrator authorized the suspension by the European Communities (now the European Union) of 100 per cent ad valorem charges on imports of certain goods from the United States in a maximum amount of over US $4 billion.

This also has a whole section on withdrawing from NAFTA: https://poseidon01.ssrn.com/deliver...6125098&EXT=pdf

The author helpfully summarizes it though:

quote:

Simply stated: the U.S. should not withdraw from NAFTA.

He's a classical economist shitlord so take his conclusions with a grain of salt. Or ignore em entirely really

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 30, 2017

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Also the common Bernout reason for withdrawing from NAFTA is to increase manufacturing employment in the USA, which would necessarily destroy the manufacturing that's built up in northern Mexico due to NAFTA.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

A cool thing about the $15/hr minimum wage proposal is that no Bernout can explain why that number was picked.

The reason why is because cities like L.A., San Francisco, and Seattle have successfully raised their minimum wages to $15/hour.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

The reason why is because cities like L.A., San Francisco, and Seattle have successfully raised their minimum wages to $15/hour.

:wrong:

Anyone else got a guess?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

SSNeoman posted:

Unfortunately no. The major issue is that it'll be a state-by-state problem. So the consequences will be felt differently state to state. Still, you can cobble the general idea:

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-nafta-us-jobs-2016-11

http://modernfarmer.com/2016/12/trumps-pledge-destroy-nafta-affect-agriculture/

I like this one a lot, despite that final sentence. Indeed if Trump did pull out of NAFTA, they why shouldn't other countries react and respond?

If you got time for some "light reading", check this:

https://poseidon01.ssrn.com/deliver...0022097&EXT=pdf

This also has a whole section on withdrawing from NAFTA: https://poseidon01.ssrn.com/deliver...6125098&EXT=pdf

The author helpfully summarizes it though:

i didn't say i think trump's idea is a good plan for getting rid of nafta, but i'm not gonna cry any tears if it's gone. i think it should be phased out

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Also the common Bernout reason for withdrawing from NAFTA

This isn't a universally-held position among Bernie supporters. Bernie himself doesn't support wholesale withdrawal.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It's actually not.:ssh:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Also, I more or less started ignoring all of those shows once it began clear how limited their criticism actually was. They would skewer Republicans but often their broader criticisms were in reality fairly conservative especially after 2008/2009 and even more so around 2015-2016.

This goes back to a point I've made in the past about how, to American Democrats/liberals, how liberal/left-leaning you are isn't defined by your actual views/ideology, but by how enthusiastically and aggressively you attack Republicans. When most Americans think "who is the most left-wing" they'll immediately think of a politician that viciously attacks Republicans, regardless of what their actual personal views are.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

i didn't say i think trump's idea is a good plan for getting rid of nafta, but i'm not gonna cry any tears if it's gone. i think it should be phased out

Why should we benefit American labor aristocrats over other sectors of the proletariat, especially by lying to ourselves about how protectionism on the part of the rich countries benefits the poor countries of the world?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Majorian posted:

Maybe, but the reason they picked 15 is because English speakers tend to use decimal number systems. $15/hour isn't an actually livable wage in Seattle, it was just an achievable number. We'll need to continue to push on minimum wage increases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

This isn't a universally-held position among Bernie supporters. Bernie himself doesn't support wholesale withdrawal.

I don't think anyone does? Even Trump seems keen on "renegotiating the terms"

People are generally opposed to the idea of "free trade" being used to undermine labor, safety and environmental regulations but I don't think there's really that many straight up "close the borders" people on the left.

• Locked thread