Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Buy them for me :B

If they're in the shop next time I'm there, absolutely. Might be a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:3:

I'm watching Pocahontas now. For the first time in, yep, 22 years.

I kinda like the songs and animation in this. It's not as dull as I expected. And the raccoon is adorable. That's two awesome raccoons I've seen in films today!

e: The use of a neon colour palette in the new world is kind of beautiful

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 29, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Shadow Hog posted:

Yeah, that still held up. I'd always sorta mentally lumped the film into the Disney Renaissance, even though that didn't start until a film later with The Little Mermaid, just since I remembered the animation and song quality being around that level, and I'm not seeing a whole lot to dissuade me from that opinion. I should like to see Great Mouse Detective next, and see how well that one fares as well, since that was... just before Oliver and Company, I think?

Though if there's one complaint that I swear I heard not that long ago that actually does kinda ring true, it's that Oliver doesn't really do much; he's more of a living MacGuffin that an interesting plot happens around rather than happens to. I never read Oliver Twist, so I don't know how much of that is WDAS's fault and how much of it is Dickens's, however.

Also, that image is legitimately making me crack up.

Yea, Oliver really wasn't that active of a protagonist in Oliver Twist - the biggest action he did was ask for seconds that got him kicked out of the orphanage, gets thrown out of a funeral home after beating up another kid for insulting his mom, but otherwise stuff just happens to him - particular the events the movie actually covers.

As for the Great Mouse Detective, it's my favorite - Vincent Price hamming it up, some really nice music, Basil has a very manic energy to him - he captures the spirit of Holmes better than Burlington Coatfactory.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

I'm watching Pocahontas now. For the first time in, yep, 22 years.

I kinda like the songs and animation in this. It's not as dull as I expected. And the raccoon is adorable. That's two awesome raccoons I've seen in films today!

e: The use of a neon colour palette in the new world is kind of beautiful
Pocahontas, for all its faults, still has excellent visuals and songs. (Though somebody once linked to this rather loud edit on Twitter, and that's sort of ruined "Mine, Mine, Mine" for me.)

Just know this: despite ostensibly taking place in Virginia, Virginia does not have giant coastal cliffs like that.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

Pocahontas, for all its faults, still has excellent visuals and songs. (Though somebody once linked to this rather loud edit on Twitter, and that's sort of ruined "Mine, Mine, Mine" for me.)

Just know this: despite ostensibly taking place in Virginia, Virginia does not have giant coastal cliffs like that.

It is very easy to find a lot of faults in the writing and motivations of characters - as a movie, as a story it falls somewhat flat, but as a visual and auditory experience its pretty kicking rad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I might be a bit late for cel chat but I would loving love to have one from Belladonna of Sadness, if any of those are floating around. Not really sure where to look, though.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I might be a bit late for cel chat but I would loving love to have one from Belladonna of Sadness, if any of those are floating around. Not really sure where to look, though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Do animation cels have nuclei?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

You should keep them in glass regardless.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Hedrigall posted:

Man, some of those Rites of Spring cels would be rad:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Well played.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Detective No. 27 posted:

I saw this at a used toy store today:

It's a big mistake thinking you're the only one who can turn into a car! I'm a car now, too!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Probably gonna watch Great Mouse Detective later today. Only looked at the main menu, but that sure is some whimsical backing music.

The bonus features for Oliver and Company were somewhat interesting... Didn't realize that was Huey Lewis singing the intro song (I just assumed it was more Billy Joel), and I hadn't realized Oliver was a big seller for them (one of the bonus vids, being recorded somewhere around Pocahontas's release and Oliver's theatrical rerelease, mentioning that it was the first of their features to prove animation could sell as much as live-action films, paving the way for The Little Mermaid onward). The two "Pluto deals with cats" shorts that were included were kinda take-it-or-leave-it, though.

On the subject of theatrical rereleases... Wonder how long we have to wait for more of those? Only recent examples I can think of are the 3D rereleases of Lion King and Nightmare Before Christmas, and a very-quickly-released "singalong" variant of Frozen. They do tend to go for the bigger hitters of the 1990s over the rest of their catalog, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just gonna be Frozen getting rereleased into theaters in five years or so (maybe Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph! or Zootopia, I dunno).

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

Probably gonna watch Great Mouse Detective later today. Only looked at the main menu, but that sure is some whimsical backing music.

You are in for a treat. Its a great film and very notable for several things, including early CG effects, a gay protagonist, Vincent Price's vocal work, and so many lovely Easter eggs and homages.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Randomly browsing on youtube has made me realize that today's generation of children are going to reveretly post about Ilumination movies and Boss Baby in forums like these in twenty years the way people post about Disney renaissance era movies today.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
And I'm sure there are people who think The Aristocats was the best thing ever. And I know for a fact there are people who will go to bat for The Sword in the Stone, because I'm one of them. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 30, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

And I'm sure there are people who think The Aristocrats was the best thing ever. And I know for a fact there are people who will go to bat for The Sword in the Stone, because I'm one of them. :v:

as a whole Sword in the Stone isn't good, but it has some really fantastic scenes, it just doesn't add up in a way where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I'm not entirely sure that that counts. At any rate, it's not in the spirit of my question. :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

as a whole Sword in the Stone isn't good, but it has some really fantastic scenes, it just doesn't add up in a way where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Sword in the Stone IS just parts.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Detective No. 27 posted:

Randomly browsing on youtube has made me realize that today's generation of children are going to reveretly post about Ilumination movies and Boss Baby in forums like these in twenty years the way people post about Disney renaissance era movies today.

Who will be their Hedrigall, I wonder?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

No. It's The Lorax. And only The Lorax.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

No. It's The Lorax. And only The Lorax.

The movie where only the biggest fans were unanimously adamant the protagonist go gently caress himself.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Just finished watching the film; decided to livetweet my thoughts as the film wore on, so I guess I'll post that thread here:

https://twitter.com/The_Shadow_Hog/status/858767521868075010

But in short, loved it, film needs more recognition.

Guess next up would be Rescuers Down Under, another film I barely remember anything about that, unlike Great Mouse Detective and Oliver and Company, actually WAS a Disney Renaissance Era film (coming just after Little Mermaid but before Beauty and the Beast), not just a film that feels like it's that caliber but isn't as fondly remembered because it cane out prior to The Little Mermaid kicking the official "Renaissance" moniker off. That said, I've never properly seen the first Rescuers, so I guess I have to watch that one first for a bit more context... fortunately, they're both on the same Blu-Ray, so that won't be difficult!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

And I'm sure there are people who think The Aristocrats was the best thing ever. And I know for a fact there are people who will go to bat for The Sword in the Stone, because I'm one of them. :v:

It was very blue, but I liked it :v:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

It was very blue, but I liked it :v:

I'm still waiting for our Dog-centric films , or at least canis based.

Still waiting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Great Mouse Detective kicks rear end.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

LeJackal posted:

Still waiting.

Bolt? :shepface:

E: wait, Oliver and Co is heavily dog-based. There's only one catte in it and he barely does anything

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Am I the only one who's noticed you're all talking about The Aristocrats, the most notoriously-depraved stage act in the history of mankind, and not The Aristocats, a Disney film about Parisian felines of aristocracy and their butler constantly trying to do them in?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Bolt? :shepface:

E: wait, Oliver and Co is heavily dog-based. There's only one catte in it and he barely does anything

Oliver still gets top billing, you can't say that counts.

Edit: Plus all the plots revolve around him, too!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Are you a Gay Nazi Furry rereg or what.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey let's not accuse people of being nazis

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
I have family that died in those camps.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

LeJackal posted:

Lady and the Tramp? Fox and the Hound?

Not Disney, but All Dogs Go to Heaven?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shadow Hog posted:

Am I the only one who's noticed you're all talking about The Aristocrats, the most notoriously-depraved stage act in the history of mankind, and not The Aristocats, a Disney film about Parisian felines of aristocracy and their butler constantly trying to do them in?

So Walt Disney says, "That's a hell of a movie! What do you call it?"

"The Aristocats!"

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

The movie where only the biggest fans were unanimously adamant the protagonist go gently caress himself.

Man, I wish the Onceler were the protagonist of the Lorax. As is, he's only in, like, ten minutes of it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'll have you all know that my mother's favorite Disney movie is, in fact, The Aristocats. I probably have a soft spot for it because we watched it a bunch when I was a kid.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Shadow Hog posted:

Just finished watching the film; decided to livetweet my thoughts as the film wore on, so I guess I'll post that thread here:

https://twitter.com/The_Shadow_Hog/status/858767521868075010

But in short, loved it, film needs more recognition.

Guess next up would be Rescuers Down Under, another film I barely remember anything about that, unlike Great Mouse Detective and Oliver and Company, actually WAS a Disney Renaissance Era film (coming just after Little Mermaid but before Beauty and the Beast), not just a film that feels like it's that caliber but isn't as fondly remembered because it cane out prior to The Little Mermaid kicking the official "Renaissance" moniker off. That said, I've never properly seen the first Rescuers, so I guess I have to watch that one first for a bit more context... fortunately, they're both on the same Blu-Ray, so that won't be difficult!

Marahute's Flight in the beginning is worth the cost of the Blu-Ray alone. I have to say it's sadly one of the few movies were the sequel handles the romance without effectively restarting it in order to 'capture the spark', instead it builds on what's before.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Hedrigall posted:

Hey let's not accuse people of being nazis

There literally used to be a poster called Literal Nazi Furry, fyi

Wonder whatever happened to that guy.

Edit: Holy poo poo he's still around in GBS :psyduck:

What a world.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 30, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's what I'm saying and he had that dog about too

21 Muns posted:

Man, I wish the Onceler were the protagonist of the Lorax. As is, he's only in, like, ten minutes of it.

I never saw this movie, so as far as I know it's about capitalism going in back in time to touch a wiener

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

DC Murderverse posted:

I'll have you all know that my mother's favorite Disney movie is, in fact, The Aristocats. I probably have a soft spot for it because we watched it a bunch when I was a kid.

Another one on my never-seen-but-must-watch list. Tonight may be Balto though