Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Agreed. She sounds cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
SV650 too slow though? I really doubt that for almost any human. The many youtube videos of good riders on Ninja 250s flying past 600rr dudes in the corners is evidence for that. But yeah seconding it's probably more sensible to just have a track bike and a little trailer to tow it around with.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

SV650 too slow though? I really doubt that for almost any human. The many youtube videos of good riders on Ninja 250s flying past 600rr dudes in the corners is evidence for that. But yeah seconding it's probably more sensible to just have a track bike and a little trailer to tow it around with.

I agree with this. I'm having so much fun with my CBR500 on track, it's great trying to out-brake/turn guys on 1000cc superbikes. Plus I think it encourages really good technique as opposed to parking the bike in corners and just making up for it with power.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah the SV is a great first track bike, will teach you how to actually maintain corner speed, get comfortable spending most of your time pinned, line choice, passing technique, etc.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Agreed. She sounds cool.

is your girlfriend single?

What other bikes has she/you ridden and what does she like about them?

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

Z3n posted:

Yeah the SV is a great first track bike, will teach you how to actually maintain corner speed, get comfortable spending most of your time pinned, line choice, passing technique, etc.

Yes I might just keep the SV, it's not really worth that much and it's cheap to insure / maintain, so this would be in addition and not instead of. I like the SV because it's got torque everywhere all the time, and I can probably feed it oil / fuel / tires forever and it'll be happy

My bike progression (in one year): Honda 125 to SV650 to Tiger 800 XRT

(Yes I went straight to a dad bike with cruise control. It has heated seats. I am not ashamed.)

She rode the GSXR600 for 4 years (and a mishmash of Kawasaki twins for 8 years before that) and is a total adrenaline junkie. Maybe a Ninja 636 or something?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
going to look at/ possibly buy a new bike today

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
NX250. gently caress yes good poo poo. get it. The fairings are made from unobtanium fyi.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

You can actually buy full ax1 faring sets from Ali-express(and headlamps for dual round light goodness).

Bought it. Got a nice 20 point list of things to check, but seemed solid enough. Actually owned by an old lady who used it for fishing trips locally. She was cool.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 2, 2017

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

gently caress yes. Is that the first NX250 in CA?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Supradog posted:

Actually owned by an old lady who used it for fishing trips locally. She was cool.

That would've been an amazing sight.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

You can actually buy full ax1 faring sets from Ali-express(and headlamps for dual round light goodness).

Bought it.

ohhh no poo poo? thats awesome.

post mo pics!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yuuuusss.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Supradog posted:

going to look at/ possibly buy a new bike today

Dope as gently caress.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Got it back home last night, no pictures as it was dark out. I'll take pictures of it in stock form.

Engine sounded good, gears changed nicely, engine oil was at a good level and still clear, battery was a new unit.

Things to do before this weekend:
* Wash it
* Lube up the chain to see if the rings are hosed. it was pretty bone dry.
* Change fork oil, probably never done, and does wonders for old suspensions.
* 3 inches mud flap front tire, the radiator gets packed with mud with stock front mud guard.
* 5 inch stiff mud flap rear, or else you get mud all over your back
* Move over a tomtom gps holder, and order a second one.
* Drop in my old 3600 lumen cyclops H4 bulb
* Change brake fluid front
* Check / adjust travel on rear drum brake.
* Lube up the hi/lo beam switch with PTFE
* Lube throttle and clutch cables where accessible and check wear on them.
* Swap over new handle bars I didn't need for the transalp + install 1 1/2 inch risers. The stock bars are hilariusly low.
* Check coolant level/clarity (oil and filter is good, changed less than 3k km ago)
* Glue and reinforce left front fairing as it has a small crack.

Nice to have soon:
* Reindeer fur sit plate for cold days
* Mesh seat cover for warm days
* Led indicators to replace the self-smoked with black rattlecan spray some PO has done(not the old lady).
* Short windscreen (need to order from ali or similar, think a french shop had them)
* Soft baggage solution, some kinda side rack to keep bags off the exhaust.
* Grippyer metal fotpegs.
* Iridium spark plug.
* Bark busters or similar (need to clear with shorty wind-screen)
* Usb power or similar power output
* better duckfoot on the side stand, stock is horrible on softer terrain
* Double take mirrors.

Nice to have someday:
* 17" rear wheel (drop in from some 85-89 offroaders) to get more than Dunlop k460 and Bridgestone TW40 to choose from.
* Led extra light pods (those seen on CA)
* Engine crash bars ( some dude in adv forum from germany makes them)
* Fab up a metal bottom engine guard

Supradog fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 3, 2017

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Has anyone seen much about this new 300cc versys x? It's intriguing.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Has anyone seen much about this new 300cc versys x? It's intriguing.

Just saw this article the other day https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/kawasaki-versys-x-300-first-ride-motorcycle-review

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That's... pretty cool!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Its essentially a 300 ninja engine with the rest cast from klrium. 5" of suspension doesn't make it much of an offroader.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

Its essentially a 300 ninja engine with the rest cast from klrium. 5" of suspension doesn't make it much of an offroader.

10+" or bust.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

cursedshitbox posted:

Eh, I did fine with my 500X. It's all in how you use it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Supradog posted:

Got it back home last night, no pictures as it was dark out. I'll take pictures of it in stock form.

Engine sounded good, gears changed nicely, engine oil was at a good level and still clear, battery was a new unit.

Things to do before this weekend:
* Wash it
* Lube up the chain to see if the rings are hosed. it was pretty bone dry.
* Change fork oil, probably never done, and does wonders for old suspensions.
* 3 inches mud flap front tire, the radiator gets packed with mud with stock front mud guard.
* 5 inch stiff mud flap rear, or else you get mud all over your back
* Move over a tomtom gps holder, and order a second one. -ordered
* Drop in my old 3600 lumen cyclops H4 bulb
* Change brake fluid front
* Check / adjust travel on rear drum brake.
* Lube up the hi/lo beam switch with PTFE
* Lube throttle and clutch cables where accessible and check wear on them.
* Swap over new handle bars I didn't need for the transalp + install 1 1/2 inch risers. The stock bars are hilariusly low. - saw no need to install new handle bars after raising old and angling them
* Check coolant level/clarity (oil and filter is good, changed less than 3k km ago)
* Glue and reinforce left front fairing as it has a small crack.

Nice to have soon:
* Reindeer fur sit plate for cold days
* Mesh seat cover for warm days
* Led indicators to replace the self-smoked with black rattlecan spray some PO has done(not the old lady). rear bought, front and led compatible relay ordered
* Short windscreen (need to order from ali or similar, think a french shop had them)-ordered but they're is only made to order, 4 weeks delivery time
* Soft baggage solution, some kinda side rack to keep bags off the exhaust.
* Grippyer metal fotpegs.
* Iridium spark plug.
* Bark busters or similar (need to clear with shorty wind-screen)
* Usb power or similar power output
* better duckfoot on the side stand, stock is horrible on softer terrain suitable stock found, will bribe bother to weld
* Double take mirrors. - ordered

Nice to have someday:
* 17" rear wheel (drop in from some 85-89 offroaders) to get more than Dunlop k460 and Bridgestone TW40 to choose from.
* Led extra light pods (those seen on CA)
* Engine crash bars ( some dude in adv forum from germany makes them)
* Fab up a metal bottom engine guard

A productive day.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 3, 2017

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I'm looking to downgrade from my Tracer 900, to free up a bit of cash. I want a reasonably practical naked(ish) that doesn't sound like poo poo, preferably a twin. I've been looking the F800R, they seem to be the best option in the price range I've got in mind. Has anyone got any thoughts on these?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Deketh posted:

I'm looking to downgrade from my Tracer 900, to free up a bit of cash. I want a reasonably practical naked(ish) that doesn't sound like poo poo, preferably a twin. I've been looking the F800R, they seem to be the best option in the price range I've got in mind. Has anyone got any thoughts on these?

Good to ride, monstrous to work on. Fz-07 if you want less power but more sporty. Monster if you want something with a good engine configuration and effort suspension.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Deketh posted:

I have an F800GT and like it a lot, the only complaint is that it puts off a lot of heat right in front of my legs. Looks like the R would not have the fairing, so that might be less of an issue. The motor itself is excellent, and makes extremely consistent power across the entire RPM band. You *may* wish to price out options as well if you haven't yet, BMW in general suffers from the base units being a little too basic, and the optional packages sometimes being less than optional. In general, I love the bike though.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Thanks guys.

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

So I just had my first range + class day (12 loving hours with a 1 hour break) of my BRC yesterday and now I'm planning on getting my first bike this week so I can practice what i've learned so far in parking lots/around my block.

Went down to the dealer to see a KLX250sf sumo which I was dead-set on getting as my first bike, but I found that i'm on my tip-toes when sitting on it. (I could probably lean on my left foot fully with my right foot on the peg but i didn't try it)

I went with my dad who also rides (has a harley, been riding since he was like 6, took a long hiatus up until his recent midlife crisis) and he said I'd be better off getting a bike that I can comfortably stand on both feet with to learn, and to be honest the height was a bit intimidating. He's insisting I get a cruiser instead, and we did find a pretty sickly priced used V-star in mint condition with less than 200 miles and crash bars on the front that would be the absolute perfect beginner bike, but honestly, I don't want a cruiser, much less a cruiser turd, and I think I would outgrow that bike absurdly quick. It could probably get smoked by one of the bikes from the MSF course in all honesty.

So we looked around at some other bikes and there she was, a brand new 'saki Z125 that began calling out to me with its $2,999 price tag and shiny green finish. The thing is, if I DID get this bike I'd probably trade it in down the road (or keep it because it looks SOOO FUN TO RIDE) to get the KLX or a faster sumo when I get Experienced™, but then wouldn't It's small size spoil me for a much higher seating supermoto?

TL;DR

Z125 or KLX250sf for my first ever bike, would a Z125 spoil me as a new rider or will I not be able to handle the height of a KLX 250sf? Probably paying $500-1000 less for the grom z125, but I'm not too worried about price

Somehow forgot to mention i'm 5'10, ~200-220lbs depending on how the weekends go

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I'm not usually the person to recommend a larger bike to a newbie, but with you at 220lb that Z125 is going to be wheezing. I'd stay in the 250cc-400cc range.

High bikes aren't a problem after you've been riding for like a month and have some confidence in your sense of balance. Paradoxically, because of the way motorcycle dynamics work, taller bikes that carry their weight higher are actually more stable (in the roll axis) than low ones, too.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Get the sumo. Height isn't a problem when you're moving, and you'll get used to stopping on one foot within an afternoon. Also, when you drop it when you're stopping it'll be fine anyways because it's a sumo.

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

Koruthaiolos posted:

Get the sumo. Height isn't a problem when you're moving, and you'll get used to stopping on one foot within an afternoon. Also, when you drop it when you're stopping it'll be fine anyways because it's a sumo.

Yeah I noticed during the MSF course I was stopping on one foot naturally after a while. Probably gonna follow my dreams and get the KLX. Maybe pick up a used Grom or Z as a toy someday...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hawg11 posted:

So I just had my first range + class day (12 loving hours with a 1 hour break) of my BRC yesterday and now I'm planning on getting my first bike this week so I can practice what i've learned so far in parking lots/around my block.

Went down to the dealer to see a KLX250sf sumo which I was dead-set on getting as my first bike, but I found that i'm on my tip-toes when sitting on it. (I could probably lean on my left foot fully with my right foot on the peg but i didn't try it)

I went with my dad who also rides (has a harley, been riding since he was like 6, took a long hiatus up until his recent midlife crisis) and he said I'd be better off getting a bike that I can comfortably stand on both feet with to learn, and to be honest the height was a bit intimidating. He's insisting I get a cruiser instead, and we did find a pretty sickly priced used V-star in mint condition with less than 200 miles and crash bars on the front that would be the absolute perfect beginner bike, but honestly, I don't want a cruiser, much less a cruiser turd, and I think I would outgrow that bike absurdly quick. It could probably get smoked by one of the bikes from the MSF course in all honesty.

So we looked around at some other bikes and there she was, a brand new 'saki Z125 that began calling out to me with its $2,999 price tag and shiny green finish. The thing is, if I DID get this bike I'd probably trade it in down the road (or keep it because it looks SOOO FUN TO RIDE) to get the KLX or a faster sumo when I get Experienced™, but then wouldn't It's small size spoil me for a much higher seating supermoto?

TL;DR

Z125 or KLX250sf for my first ever bike, would a Z125 spoil me as a new rider or will I not be able to handle the height of a KLX 250sf? Probably paying $500-1000 less for the grom z125, but I'm not too worried about price

Somehow forgot to mention i'm 5'10, ~200-220lbs depending on how the weekends go

funny lookin fucker, aren't ya

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

What Sagebrush said.

My DRZ felt tall when I was first riding it (I'm six foot and still can't get both feet flat at a stop). However, it really stops mattering around the 3rd-4th time you take your bike out. You'll find yourself stopped with your left leg on the ground and right on the rear brake, which doesn't require you to flat foot both legs when actually out and about. You'll be fine.

The KLX sumo looks fun as hell. The engine should be enough to haul you around and keep you entertained while learning to ride on God's chosen type of motorcycle. I weigh what you weigh, and a 125cc that I tried out was.... underwhelming. Personally, I'd look at the klx250 (or else a drz400sm, which I what I ended up going with).

tl;dr Buy a 250-400cc sumo and never look back. That KLX looks awesome.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

My father in law is maybe 5'8" or less, with short legs to boot, and he's successfully owned a KLR650, V-Strom, KLX400, KLR250, and a TR650. 5'10" on a KLX250 should be a cakewalk for you. Just get lowering links for the rear suspension for the first few months and then put the original linkage back on when you're comfortable.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Get the KLX, you'll be fine.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Get a used sumo so when you inevitably drop it you wont feel bad.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh got just nthing to get that KLX. Sumo's crash so well you wouldn't even believe it. It will save you so many tears down the road. For height, I ride a super tall sumo and can't flat foot it, and it's perfectly fine.

Also, a 250 sumo is just about the funnest thing to flog around on and off road, you'll love it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Should I trade in for a new DRZ sm or stick with the Fz 07

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

A MIRACLE posted:

Should I trade in for a new DRZ sm or stick with the Fz 07

why would you do this

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Save your beer money and shake the couch change loose for a couple months and buy a used DRZ instead. It's what I did.

...spent it on surgery for the girlfriend's cat instead, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

why would you do this