Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Anne Whateley posted:

Ideas for super easy picnic foods? Nothing perishable -- most of the ideas I'm googling up are like fried chicken, grilled shrimp, potato salad, cheese board and wine. Which is fine if you're driving to the site and eating next to your car I guess? But we're walking a bunch first, and I'm not lugging ice packs.

Already on the list: grapes (possibly frozen at first), sugar snap peas, spiced cashews, chocolate with hazelnuts. And wipes for when we accidentally cover ourselves in melted chocolate.

I kind of want something that's more of a main dish, but a couple more small things would be okay too. I could do peanut butter with apples and celery, but it seems so lame?

Greek salad? Cucumber, tomatoes, red onion and some feta. Throw some olives in if you like them. It lasts pretty well in a tupperware for picnicking later in the day, and you can take along some crusty bread to have with it to make it more substantial. Additionally, don't rule out cheese - the harder cheeses especially will last perfectly well out of the fridge, but I would also have no issue taking cheddar and other similar cheese with me in your situation... Cured meat will also be fine. Tubs of hummus/baba ganoush/similar stuff can last well out of the fridge for a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I had really good cheddar-jalapeno mashed potatoes a few weeks back. Is making something like that as easy as melting some kinda cheese in mashed potatoes, or does it require something fancy?

Also, any recommendations for something to put in egg salad? The one I make is a little plain, and besides some chives/green onions, there's not much else in it.

If the cheese was more 'saucy' than dry, simmer shredded cheese in a saucepan with a little milk and maybe some corn starch like you would for a broccoli cheese sauce.

For the egg salad, chopped olives are good, I use them for tuna salad. The caveat being that you have like olives in the first place.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Do we have a thread for the halfassed poo poo youd be wanting to make after a 12 hour shift? Like that semi homemade show without the rampant alchololism and an actual sense of taste. I need some postwork meal ideas from actual food to 'just throw some minced garlic and basil on that frozen pizza'.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
No idea about whether there's a thread but if not you should make one. Here's a short cheaty pizza recipe from seriouseats using a tortilla as a base, estimated time 12-15 minutes.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/cast-iron-pizza-tortilla-video-recipe-food-lab.html

I've done it before but I didn't bother with the broiler.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

OK, my partner has come home from work with 4 Scotch Bonnet chilies that a workmate was handing out.
We love spicy food, so ideas as to what we could do with them. Maybe a sauce we could make or a curry or something.
Give me your ideas please!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I cooked a kilo of mung beans over the weekend to use in a bean salad, but unfortunately I overcooked them in the pressure cooker so they're too mushy to be used in a salad now. Last night we used them in bean quesadillas, and with the correct spicing and seasoning, they were actually a quite reasonable facsimile for ground beef. We still have a ton of beans left over, though...ideas on applications for overcooked beans?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
You could make a bean bread, use it as a layer in a layered bean dip, or bean brownies. Bean soup or mixing into a chili are a couple more options. Some people do bean based pies, or you could go the Japanese route and make a sweet bean paste for mochi or other pastry filling. A lot of people will puree beans as a mashed potato substitute and season with garlic, salt, pepper and/or bacon grease.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Are there any good cookbooks for 10-13 aged kids with a bit of interest in learning their way around a kitchen? Bonus points for some sort of app or video integration.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Anne Whateley posted:

Ideas for super easy picnic foods? Nothing perishable -- most of the ideas I'm googling up are like fried chicken, grilled shrimp, potato salad, cheese board and wine. Which is fine if you're driving to the site and eating next to your car I guess? But we're walking a bunch first, and I'm not lugging ice packs.

Already on the list: grapes (possibly frozen at first), sugar snap peas, spiced cashews, chocolate with hazelnuts. And wipes for when we accidentally cover ourselves in melted chocolate.

I kind of want something that's more of a main dish, but a couple more small things would be okay too. I could do peanut butter with apples and celery, but it seems so lame?

Why would you freeze the grapes first? They keep perfectly fine at room temperature.

For asian-inspired dishes that keep well for several hours at room temperature, try http://justbento.com/recipes.

For example. The Deconstructed Sandwitch Bento: Pickled Veggies and Pork RIlletes in a box, fresh crusty bread, assemble on-site. http://justbento.com/bento-no-80-deconstructed-banh-mi-sandwich-bento

Wafuu Quinoa, or Not Fried Rice: http://justbento.com/handbook/recipe-collection-mains/wafuu-quinoa-quinua-japanese-flavors

Oyaki, Japanese Potato Dumplins you can make into FUKKIN ADORABLE SHAPES: http://justbento.com/handbook/recipe-collection-mains/potato-oyaki-and-sweet-potato-and-carrot-oyaki

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Sextro posted:

Are there any good cookbooks for 10-13 aged kids with a bit of interest in learning their way around a kitchen? Bonus points for some sort of app or video integration.

I had a book when I was 8 or so that was one of those sturdy water-resistant books on a comb that was a combination of a gardening book (IIRC it came with seeds for lettuce, radish, cucumber and other easy-to-grow vegetables) and a cookbook that had recipes for each like refrigerator pickles or whatever. That was a fun one, since I got to grow things and then prepare them. I'll ask mom if it's still around, since I don't remember the name at all.

Around the same time, there was also a summer cooking class for kids at the public library that my parents signed me up for. The neat part about that was that even though mom could have taught me any of the recipes we learned there (and prepared them better than I could have), I got to learn it from the instructor and then come home and prepare it from the recipe sheet and show it off for my parents.

edit: Mom (and my sister) found it: Kids Gardening: A Guide to Messing Around in the Dirt
https://www.amazon.com/KidsGardening-Guide-Messing-Around-Other/dp/0932592252
I guess it's more of a gardening book than a cookbook, but it does have recipes for the stuff you grow. I think the first thing I ever made was the pickle recipe from it.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 1, 2017

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Should I follow this menu/chart to learn how to cook and survive on my own?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
What stands out to me is that there's a lot of meat and not a lot of veg in that meal plan.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Protein sticks to the ribs better so for the purposes of fending off hunger you get more bang for your buck.

But I do subconsciously order three different species of animal-meat at every restaurant meal so I can add their strength to my own.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

PubicMice posted:

No, you should follow this book. Much cheaper, healthier, varied, tasty, etc.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Bollock Monkey posted:

What stands out to me is that there's a lot of meat and not a lot of veg in that meal plan.

While I agree that's a not a lot of veg I'd disagree on the meat quantity. Ditch the starch for more veg imo.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

PubicMice posted:

Nothing objectively wrong with using this as a guide. I say go for it. However, my advice would be:

Avocados are like, at least a buck a piece unless they're on sale in most places. Unless you really like avocado, or they are on sale, consider cutting it down to one. They're also quite filling on their own, my lunch today was a whole avocado dressed with a bit of lime juice and hot sauce, they are great.

You don't need a whole baguette just to turn into breadcrumbs. Any cheap day-old bread or roll is probably fine.

Whole Chicken Thigh is way cheaper and better tasting then boneless skinless chicken breast. They have exactly one big, easy bone. http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/04/knife-skills-how-to-debone-a-chicken-thigh.html DO NOT throw the skin away! Fry it up and eat it like pork cracklin, use the fat you've rendered out to fry other things (fry off some onions in it and add some salt, strain off the fat into a jar and keep the solids, BAM free shmaltz and gribenes)

Grab a sack of rice and a bag of russet or idaho potatoes (and maybe some sweet potatoes), learn how to cook both. They stretch meals, and honestly, after a long day, it's nice to just throw a big potato in the microwave, crack that starch grenade open, throw on cheese and bacon bits, and call it a meal.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 2, 2017

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Helith posted:

OK, my partner has come home from work with 4 Scotch Bonnet chilies that a workmate was handing out.
We love spicy food, so ideas as to what we could do with them. Maybe a sauce we could make or a curry or something.

I've done several variations on this recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/08/curried-jamaican-beef-patties-recipe.html

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Helith posted:

Shito! You'll have enough sauce to rub on some chicken or something but I put that shito on everything.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

al-azad posted:

Shito! You'll have enough sauce to rub on some chicken or something but I put that shito on everything.

You gotta love when a recipe drops "2 tablespoons blended crayfish" on you with no further explanation.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

al-azad posted:

So that's just sambal with crayfish instead of fermented shrimp.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Suspect Bucket posted:

You don't need a whole baguette just to turn into breadcrumbs. Any cheap day-old bread or roll is probably fine.

I was thinking this. Also, is it normal to bake the bread before turning it into crumbs? I just put raw bread in the food processor and use that, baking it first seems like a lot of extra hassle and I'm not sure what the payoff is.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gerblyn posted:

I was thinking this. Also, is it normal to bake the bread before turning it into crumbs? I just put raw bread in the food processor and use that, baking it first seems like a lot of extra hassle and I'm not sure what the payoff is.

Dries it out, giving you a crispier product in the end.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

spankmeister posted:

So that's just sambal with crayfish instead of fermented shrimp.

And cooked until black and generally sweeter and fruitier.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Gerblyn posted:

Toasting dries the bread and bonus, gives it a nice toasty flavor. Toast is the best thing to do with any bread most of the time anyway (unless it's nice and fresh).

https://youtu.be/SHptn_3RyYE
https://youtu.be/WJmKStqugMc

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 2, 2017

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
It could definitely be more clear (it also doesn't say that you should save some of the meatloaf on tuesday for the sandwiches on wednesday, which could trip some people up), but I think it's saying you only use the ends of the baguette for breadcrumbs, and the rest of it as the bread for the eggplant sandwich.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
someone told me that you can tell when deep frying chicken that it's done when it starts floating. true?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

someone told me that you can tell when deep frying chicken that it's done when it starts floating. true?

Whole pieces will start floating before an internal temp of 165. Use a clock and a thermometer.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

always thermometer.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I've just eaten carnitas that didn't suck for the first time in awhile, very happy now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Corner Taco is a treasure of Jacksonville.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

GrAviTy84 posted:

always thermometer.

Yeah. I can't stress that enough - a few people at my old job kept serving raw chicken with that logic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anyone in the know, is it just as good to cook tajine outside of a, well, tajine? I am totally not against buying a clay pot meant to cook a single dish (it would make a great talking piece) but is there a scientific benefit to cooking it the traditional way as opposed to an alternative like a dutch oven?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Dutch oven is fine.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Helith posted:

Jerk

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Hey man, that's uncalled f-wait a minute

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
What's the best way to marinate/brine a steak (we're talking rib and rump) when you don't have access to Worcestershire sauce?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

vermin posted:

Hey man, that's uncalled f-wait a minute

Seconding jerk. Also consider just making hot sauce! It's easy and there's a thread on here somewhere about how to do it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm tearing my hair out trying to find a reliable Persian Kabab Barg recipe. I used to frequently visit a Persian restaurant in the city I used to live in, but I've now moved far away. Their barg kababs were honestly some of the tastiest stuff I've ever had. I found a recipe online that told me I should marinate the lamb overnight in onions, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, salt, and saffron.

I did that. I cooked the lamb today (granted I didn't use a charcoal pit, I just fried in like a plebeian), it didn't taste anything like what I was expecting. If I'm honest, it didn't even taste good at all. Any Persian chefs here willing to spill the beans on their super secret kabab barg recipe? It'd mean a lot.

Gaze upon this dish and feel pity for not having this dish to enjoy.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pizdec posted:

What's the best way to marinate/brine a steak (we're talking rib and rump) when you don't have access to Worcestershire sauce?

At the risk of some Englishman getting mad at me, isn't Worcestershire sauce just soy sauce playing dress-up?

What flavour are you hoping to add to your steak? Soy for salt and soy-sauce-taste, plus maybe some black pepper, mustard powder, minced garlic, broth, red wine vinegar... the possibilities for a marinade are pretty much endless.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

ExecuDork posted:

At the risk of some Englishman getting mad at me, isn't Worcestershire sauce just soy sauce playing dress-up?

What flavour are you hoping to add to your steak? Soy for salt and soy-sauce-taste, plus maybe some black pepper, mustard powder, minced garlic, broth, red wine vinegar... the possibilities for a marinade are pretty much endless.
Actually I'm willing to try whatever, I'm just trying to get the lay of the land on what works with beef and what doesn't (I've only ever marinated poultry), and all the recipes are Worcestershire-based it seems. I'm guessing you can't just dunk the fucker into buttermilk and get the delicious tender results you get with chicken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

there is such thing as milk steak. I've never made it and probably never will.