Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Congress reaches deal to keep government open through September

Step 1: Denial

quote:

To: iowamark

Trump will not sign it. Mark my words. He is going to toss them a red hot rock and say juggle, idiots.

2 posted on 04/30/2017 8:16:30 PM PDT by LesbianThespianGymnasticMidget (God punishes Conservatives by making them argue with fools. Go Trump!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

Send it back Mr. President.

3 posted on 04/30/2017 8:17:01 PM PDT by dp0622 (IThe only thing an upper crust Conservative hates more than a liberal is a middle class conservative)

quote:

To: LesbianThespianGymnasticMidget

Republicans DO KNOW that they won big after the last shutdown, right?

Why does this party HATE TO WIN?

6 posted on 04/30/2017 8:21:27 PM PDT by dp0622 (IThe only thing an upper crust Conservative hates more than a liberal is a middle class conservative)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

quote:

“Hard-won?”

This is a budget that expands government under Republicans, giving everyone extras.

Veto this bill, President Trump.

8 posted on 04/30/2017 8:22:20 PM PDT by ConservativeMind (Trump: Befuddling Democrats, Republicans, and the Media for the benefit of the US and all mankind.)

Stage 2: Anger

quote:

I waited 65 years to see a day when a man would stand up and advocate for our desires.

We have one now.

Speaker Congressman Paul Ryan is determined to play the part of head Democrat in the House of Representatives during this administration.

Majority Leader Senator Mitch McConnell is determined to play the part of head Democrat in the U.s. Senate.

President Donald Trump can do only so much against these people. If he wants the military to be fixed right away, he has to deal.

Reagan had the same problem in his day. He had to face the Democrats on Capital Hill. Now Trump has to face the Republicans there. This is unconscionable!

The Wall has been refused him, and more importantly us.

The American public want that wall.

How ugly this is going to get, we don’t know. What I do know is that promises were made to protect this nation.

If Ryan and McConnell can’t get their act together, they need to step down and let someone else take over.

This is the same as Ryancare.

Ryan thinks he was elected president. No Mr. Ryan, you weren’t. K-Street, neither were you.

Donald J. Trump is President of the United States, and if you two sons of bitches can’t get your act together in order to help him fulfill his promises, you need to go.

Trump, show them who is boss.

You either do it soon, or you’ll be their bitch for the duration.

11 posted on 04/30/2017 8:25:33 PM PDT by DoughtyOne (Happy days are here again!)

quote:

To: dp0622

Losing is all they know. All they can anticipate. All they can understand. The prospect of winning unsettles them. Is something they can not comprehend.

The GOP at the national level is in a comfort zone and the idea of leaving it paralyzes them with fear.

That is why they are intimidated by Trump. Why they are fighting him.

12 posted on 04/30/2017 8:25:38 PM PDT by Ciaphas Cain (The choice to be stupid is not a conviction I am obligated to respect.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

quote:

To: hal ogen

A HARD veto. “I will not approve a budget without funding for the wall. Enjoy your shutdown. I have directed my appointees to share budgets. EPA shut down. DOE shut down, etc.. National monuments are open and paid vacation for the folks that stick around equal to there time spent on this... cash or time, their choice. “

14 posted on 04/30/2017 8:28:30 PM PDT by LesbianThespianGymnasticMidget (God punishes Conservatives by making them argue with fools. Go Trump!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Ciaphas Cain

They REALLY are!

If they have the minority with a dem pres, they vote hardcore right.

If they have the MAJORITY with a dem pres, they vote hardcore right cause he’ll veto it.

But when they have GREAT power to change things, they tremble in fear of shaking things up.

They only care about themselves. No one else.

16 posted on 04/30/2017 8:31:17 PM PDT by dp0622 (IThe only thing an upper crust Conservative hates more than a liberal is a middle class conservative)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

quote:

Tell them to get back to work for the good of this country. They are cowards.

The least they could do is fund a great FDR style make work project like the border wall. That puts folks to work, gives them purpose, and makes the country a little bit safer from invasion. The border wall could be a great bike path from the Pacific Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico. It would be a tourist destination. Folks would travel to the Great Border Wall in search of great Mexican food and to see the many food trucks stationed on the other side.

Lol

20 posted on 04/30/2017 8:37:58 PM PDT by petitfour (Appeal to Heaven)

quote:

This is not a budget. It’s just to placate the minority party. When did Democrats ever placate Republicans?

24 posted on 04/30/2017 8:55:57 PM PDT by backwoods-engineer (Trump won; I celebrated; I'm good. Let's get on with the civil war now.)

I love it when they admit that Trump is a weak-minded fool who is completely susceptible to flattery.

quote:

Veto this crap. If you cannot run the government responsibly then don’t run one. This garbage has to stop. Show Trump unwavering support so that he can have the courage to Veto this trash

26 posted on 04/30/2017 8:57:33 PM PDT by wiseprince

Suddenly, a moment of clarity.

quote:

Not too long ago the Republicans had the White House and both halves of Congress.

The GOP has promised action on abortion for decades. Always telling us that they were just waiting for the right time.

So why didn't they act on the opportunity? What prevented them?

It was because Republicans inside the beltway NEED abortion to remain legal. It's the carrot on a stick that keeps evangelicals supporting and voting for them.

Conservative Christians are to the GOP what black people are to the Democrats.

28 posted on 04/30/2017 9:05:01 PM PDT by Ciaphas Cain (The choice to be stupid is not a conviction I am obligated to respect.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Step 3: Bargaining

quote:

To: DoughtyOne

“A trillion dollar spending bill, and they couldn’t insert $15 billion to start the wall.”

Trump asked for 1.4 billion to start construction of the wall and this bill has 1.5 billion for “border security”.

Democrats saved face by not mentioning the wall directly but the border security will probably be used for the wall. The article says 1.5 billion for detention center beds.. LOL. Money for the wall is in there.

30 posted on 04/30/2017 9:26:53 PM PDT by Helicondelta (Deplorable)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

A-a-and right back to Anger.

quote:

Even when we win we lose because the spineless Republicans are so scared how they are going to be portrayed on the Sunday Morning talk shows and in the NYT/WaPo that they won't take a stand. Even when we win, we lose. Trump came in ready to stand up to these people and has majorities in both houses, yet the Republicans capitulate anyway - just like they did under Obama. If Trump signs this, it means he is getting sucked into the same swamp that he ran against.

I mean, it still funds Planned Parenthood! Look at this:

The deal includes an additional $12 billion in defense spending, which is $18 billion less than Trump asked for. It also includes a permanent fix to fund coal miners' health care instead of a temporary extension.

Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer of New York called the deal "a good agreement for the American people" that "takes the threat of a government shutdown off the table."

"The bill ensures taxpayer dollars aren't used to fund an ineffective border wall, excludes poison pill riders and increases investments in programs that the middle-class relies on, like medical research, education and infrastructure," Schumer said Sunday night.

Chuck Schumer knows the wall will be effective, and that's why he really supports it.

"Early on in this debate, Democrats clearly laid out our principles," he said. "At the end of the day, this is an agreement that reflects those principles."

WTG, Republicans. Why not just go have a Pepsi with Kendall Jenner and let them write the bill?

Democrats stressed that there is no money not only for a border wall, but also for a deportation force, and they said there would be no cut in funding for so-called sanctuary cities.

And instead of $3 billion for border security, which was requested by the Trump administration, the bill includes just half of that — $1.5 billion. It also includes $295 million for Puerto Rico's Medicaid program.

It sounds like illegal immigration will continue with the exception of at the border. With no wall, as soon as Trump is gone, it will be business as usual.

To top it off, it sounds like we are bailing out Puerto Rico which isn't a state.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/deal-government-funding-reached-averting-shutdown-n753086
31 posted on 04/30/2017 10:08:23 PM PDT by Pinkbell (Hillary's Russia Ties - http://dtforpres.blogspot.com/2016/09/hillary-clinton-and-democrats-have.htm)

quote:

I agree with everything you say, DoughtyOne.

I think it’s time for another march on Washington.

The last march I went to (from Atlanta, GA) was the Audit The IRS rally in 2012. We FILLED that space in front of the Capital - Ted Cruz made an appearance!

Of course, no one listened then, since Obama was polluting the WH, but a message might be sent this time!

32 posted on 04/30/2017 10:10:52 PM PDT by EarlyBird (There's a whole lot of winning going on around here!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Oh... wow...

quote:

Good analogy, not perfect since there are a few Congress beings who do care, but to most it’s the political football that Lucy keeps on using to watch Charlie Brown run at it and fall down kicking.

Christians are the niggers of way too much of the GOP.

Not that Christians ought to be surprised. The bible warned them.

We need a spiritual revolution here. Without a resurgence of the Holy Spirit, and that through faith, the gates of hell will keep on defying us.

35 posted on 04/30/2017 10:29:22 PM PDT by HiTech RedNeck (Embrace the Lion of Judah and He will roar for you and teach you to roar too. See my page.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

Step 4: Depression

quote:

My guess/fear would be that Trump signs it. I hope I’m wrong, but I’m used to Republicans disappointing me, and Trump is stuck with a spineless Congress. They don’t need the Freedom Caucus for this, and I would think those folks would be opposed.

46 posted on 04/30/2017 11:26:58 PM PDT by Pinkbell (Hillary's Russia Ties - http://dtforpres.blogspot.com/2016/09/hillary-clinton-and-democrats-have.htm)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

quote:

To: KyCats

You’d think the left would be happy, but instead they are still attacking Trump supporters saying, “You got conned.” and mocking them and Trump for essentially the Democrats getting everything.

This bill was what would have been passed under Obama. I hope Ted, Rand, and the Freedom Caucus at least object.

53 posted on 05/01/2017 3:43:06 AM PDT by Pinkbell (Hillary's Russia Ties - http://dtforpres.blogspot.com/2016/09/hillary-clinton-and-democrats-have.htm)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 52 | View Replies]

quote:

To: LesbianThespianGymnasticMidget

"Trump will not sign it. Mark my words. He is going to toss them a red hot rock and say juggle, idiots."

Wish you were right, but he will sign it and then say that it is somehow "wonderful" IMO.

55 posted on 05/01/2017 3:52:48 AM PDT by Truth29
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

quote:

Trump needs to go to the people when it is voting time for these cretans

57 posted on 05/01/2017 4:06:00 AM PDT by ronnie raygun (Trump plays chess the rest are still playing checkers)

quote:

Oh excellent!

As long as construction starts ASAP, I don’t care what they call it.

In Saturday’s rally, Trump seemed confident that the wall would be built. I’ll bet he warned congress he wouldn’t sign anything without wall funds in it. They may have been able to threaten and bully other Republican presidents, but not this one! That’s why we voted for him.

62 posted on 05/01/2017 5:19:11 AM PDT by CottonBall (Thank you, Julian)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

Pence! :argh:

quote:

PENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You were brought on board to stop this BS. What the hell happened??

64 posted on 05/01/2017 6:27:30 AM PDT by EliRoom8

Stage 5: Acceptance? Hahaha good one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
The tears. They nourish me.

When Trump signs it, they shall flow ever the more heartily.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Just an added kick in the teeth for the freepers in denial: The $1.5 billion to border security has language specifically prohibiting it from being used for a wall.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

Trump asked for 1.4 billion to start construction of the wall and this bill has 1.5 billion for “border security”.

Democrats saved face by not mentioning the wall directly but the border security will probably be used for the wall. The article says 1.5 billion for detention center beds.. LOL. Money for the wall is in there.

It's funny because from what I understand the bill specifically states that the 1.5 billion cannot be used for a wall.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I cant believe there is a freeper named Ciaphus Cain.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

quote:

They REALLY are! 

If they have the minority with a dem pres, they vote hardcore right. 

If they have the MAJORITY with a dem pres, they vote hardcore right cause he’ll veto it. 

But when they have GREAT power to change things, they tremble in fear of shaking things up. 

They only care about themselves. No one else. 

16 posted on 04/30/2017 8:31:17 PM PDT by dp0622 (IThe only thing an upper crust Conservative hates more than a liberal is a middle class conservative) 

He understands what's happening he just needs to draw the right conclusion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jagged Jim posted:

Oh... wow...

:wtc:

Mormon, Seventh Day Adventist, Jehovah's Witness, or some other seriously out there not-really-Christian-at-all splinter sect, I'm guessing?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It might be in Mexico's 2017 budget, did anyone check?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

quote:

This is not a budget. It’s just to placate the minority party. When did Democrats ever placate Republicans?

24 posted on 04/30/2017 8:55:57 PM PDT by backwoods-engineer (Trump won; I celebrated; I'm good. Let's get on with the civil war now.)

Are they serious?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Covok posted:

Are they serious?

Deadly.

The Dems never let them kill all black people

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

Covok posted:

Are they serious?

Let me tell you about how the Democrats founded the KKK.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

quote:

Trump will not sign it. Mark my words. He is going to toss them a red hot rock and say juggle, idiots.

2 posted on 04/30/2017 8:16:30 PM PDT by LesbianThespianGymnasticMidget (God punishes Conservatives by making them argue with fools. Go Trump!)

Wanna see Captain Edgelord here cry like a little bitch when Trump signs this bill, because he will. People will tell him to.

Sargon of TN
Nov 7, 2011

quote:

The GOP has promised action on abortion for decades. Always telling us that they were just waiting for the right time.

So why didn't they act on the opportunity? What prevented them?

It was because Republicans inside the beltway NEED abortion to remain legal. It's the carrot on a stick that keeps evangelicals supporting and voting for them.

This is literally the only reason my parents vote straight republican in every election (local/national). This is how the ACLJ has been able to steal their money for so many years: With the promise to FIGHT ABORTION! The ACLJ knows good and well they'll never accomplish this, but they don't care. Being a pro-life organization/politician is a cash cow.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Sargon of TN posted:

This is literally the only reason my parents vote straight republican in every election (local/national). This is how the ACLJ has been able to steal their money for so many years: With the promise to FIGHT ABORTION! The ACLJ knows good and well they'll never accomplish this, but they don't care. Being a pro-life organization/politician is a cash cow.

There was an old story about Ron Popeil, the guy who invented the roto grill, doing a live showing of a knife, and he'd have a pineapple up with him. Every 20 minutes or so he'd tell people to stick around and he'd cut the pineapple in half with the knife without a problem at all. He never did, it was all part of the sales pitch. But wait, there's more, all that.

I'm paraphrasing the hell out of it but stringing suckers along isn't limited to just QVC. Billy Mays could have been in office except he couldn't stop doing coke didn't need to take the paycut.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Telsa Cola posted:

I cant believe there is a freeper named Ciaphas Cain.

Came to post this, what could be his rationale :psyduck:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alter Ego posted:

The tears. They nourish me.

When Trump signs it, they shall flow ever the more heartily.

You're thinking too small.

The true great wish of all connoisseurs of tears is that he vetoes...and congress overrides. :getin:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Night10194 posted:

The true great wish of all connoisseurs of tears is that he vetoes...and congress overrides. :getin:

But that means he's still on their side. I'd rather see their reaction to his total capitulation

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So I've seem at couple of freepers using "the real budget comes in September! Then we'll get everything we want!" as damage control. They just never learn.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also lol at the one guy going "Wait, wait, he got 1.5 billion for border security! THAT'S WALL MONEY!"

No-one tell him there's a specific provision in the bill saying 'That ain't no wall money'

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Night10194 posted:

No, that makes him their shining white knight even more. The lone crusader against the deep state hordes. They already hate Congress.

He needs to bend over, sign it, then talk about how great it is. It will help to shatter their image of him as some tough guy daddy figure.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Tias posted:

Space Nazis are cool, Cain is the hero of the common (Nazi) man

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Tias posted:

Freepers are very good at missing the point of things. It's like that one bit in 1984 about the crimestop element of doublethink being "the power of not grasping analogies, of failing to perceive logical errors, of misunderstanding the simplest arguments if they are inimical to Ingsoc, and of being bored or repelled by any train of thought which is capable of leading in a heretical direction."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Losing is all they know. All they can anticipate. All they can understand. The prospect of winning unsettles them. Is something they can not comprehend.

The GOP at the national level is in a comfort zone and the idea of leaving it paralyzes them with fear.

That is why they are intimidated by Trump. Why they are fighting him.

12 posted on 04/30/2017 8:25:38 PM PDT by Ciaphas Cain (The choice to be stupid is not a conviction I am obligated to respect.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

He's so close to figuring it out.

The GOP is unable to comprehend winning because (like any good party that's been consumed by authoritarian views) they need a constant struggle to ensure their continued existence. If they were to win everything they wanted, it would simply be replaced with a new struggle against a new enemy. If they were to lose their struggle, their hardline stance would no longer be tenable.

Instead, he interprets it as "Trump must really be too perfect and tough if the GOP can't accept him!"

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Night10194 posted:

Also lol at the one guy going "Wait, wait, he got 1.5 billion for border security! THAT'S WALL MONEY!"

No-one tell him there's a specific provision in the bill saying 'That ain't no wall money'

How about a MOAT, smart guy?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Tias posted:

"The Imperium are the good guys in the setting, duh."

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Jagged Jim posted:

To: BenLurkin

Setup. Republicans are not in to that kind of behavior. He should have been shot dead right as he was wounding the first person.

2 posted on 04/29/2017 8:05:06 AM PDT by MeneMeneTekelUpharsin (Freedom is the freedom to discipline yourself so others don't have to do it for you.)

We don't believe in killing people, but he should have been killed
Yeah, musta been a paid plant because you can totally enjoy your riches while facing a life/death sentence

Alter Ego posted:

This will cause more tears than the wall funding getting pulled, since they can't explain this one away.

"damned liberals"

Explained

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 1, 2017

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

He's so close to figuring it out.

The GOP is unable to comprehend winning because (like any good party that's been consumed by authoritarian views) they need a constant struggle to ensure their continued existence. If they were to win everything they wanted, it would simply be replaced with a new struggle against a new enemy. If they were to lose their struggle, their hardline stance would no longer be tenable.

Instead, he interprets it as "Trump must really be too perfect and tough if the GOP can't accept him!"

something something :umberto:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BarbarianElephant posted:

How about a MOAT, smart guy?

There's a reason that slang for Mexicans in the US is "wetbacks"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

SocketWrench posted:

"damned liberals"

Explained

Not my point. My point is that they will have to wonder: why did President Tough Guy sign it? They're all about lines in the sand, so why would President Daddy Goodhair sign a bill that didn't destroy PP and give him his wall money?

This is the outcome that makes Trump look less like their pure, untarnished champion of freedom and more like the orange gonad that he is.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jagged Jim posted:

something something :umberto:

1. How long has this existed?
2. Why did no one tell me this existed?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Holy poo poo yeah, that emote is great and will be extremely useful to this thread.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

awesome

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alter Ego posted:

Not my point. My point is that they will have to wonder: why did President Tough Guy sign it? They're all about lines in the sand, so why would President Daddy Goodhair sign a bill that didn't destroy PP and give him his wall money?

This is the outcome that makes Trump look less like their pure, untarnished champion of freedom and more like the orange gonad that he is.

nth dimensional chess! All part of the deal! Bargaining that will totally totally pay off in the future repeat repeat repeat until the end of time. Truly these septuagenarians are forward thinkers

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Jagged Jim posted:

To: hal ogen 

A HARD veto. “I will not approve a budget without funding for the wall. Enjoy your shutdown. I have directed my appointees to share budgets. EPA shut down. DOE shut down, etc.. National monuments are open and paid vacation for the folks that stick around equal to there time spent on this... cash or time, their choice. “ 

14 posted on 04/30/2017 8:28:30 PM PDT by LesbianThespianGymnasticMidget (God punishes Conservatives by making them argue with fools. Go Trump!) 
 [ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

I really like this one. "I wont compromise my values! Bring on the government shut down! As long as it doesn't take away the things I want!"

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Alter Ego posted:

Liberals and RhINOs forced him. Explained

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

Trump Trolled Over Bizarre, Baffling Claim About Avoiding the Civil War

:laffo:

quote:

As usual the media is ignorant of history. The Civil War was caused by the secession which began in South Carolina. The nullification crisis was an earlier attempt in South Carolina at renouncing the authority of the federal government and could have very likely led to secession.

The South Carolina Ordinance of Nullification was enacted into law on November 24, 1832. As far as South Carolina was concerned, federal laws could be dismissed and there was no tariff. A line had been drawn. Would President Jackson dare to cross it? Jackson rightly regarded this states-rights challenge as so serious that he asked Congress to enact legislation permitting him to use federal troops to enforce federal laws in the face of nullification. Fortunately, an armed confrontation was avoided when Congress, led by the efforts of Henry Clay, revised the tariff with a compromise bill. This permitted the South Carolinians to back down without "losing face." In retrospect, Jackson's strong, decisive support for the Union was one of the great moments of his Presidency. If nullification had been successful, could secession have been far behind?

The secession of 1860 and early 1861 did not come as the result of a popular vote. It was forced through the confederate states by a small group of Democrat Party activists.

If a strong president had threatened the use federal troops in 1860 there it is likely there would not have been a secession.

President Buchanen worked with Jefferson Davis and the secessionists to help them.

President Jackson had many faults and no one can say for certain what would have actually happened. But Trump is far more knowledgeable regarding U.S. history than the media.

1 posted on 05/01/2017 1:52:30 PM PDT by detective
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

State's Rights!

quote:

To: detective

The Nullification Crisis during Jackson’s Presidency prefigured one of the main issues of the civil war.

Were the states mere vassals of the very national government that they created, or did they have an equal say in deciding what is Constitutional.

Jefferson and Madison of the Virginia and Kentucky Resolves of 1798 defended state’s rights,as had the Anti-Federalists. Hamilton and the Federalists wanted a ruling national government.

4 posted on 05/01/2017 2:00:16 PM PDT by Pelham (Liberate California. Deport Mexico Now)

Freep Status: :salt::salt::salt:

quote:

Mr. President, signing a budget that funds planned parenthood slaughter and does not fund the wall, might just give you a civil war.

Sir, your name is Donald John Trump, not bush 45.

5 posted on 05/01/2017 2:00:42 PM PDT by The_Republic_Of_Maine (politicians beware)

quote:

The Secessionists of 1776 won.

6 posted on 05/01/2017 2:00:43 PM PDT by Pelham (Liberate California. Deport Mexico Now)

This Freeper is trying his hardest to go STFU as politely as possible.

quote:

Trump is far more knowledgeable regarding U.S. history than the media.

That may be, but methinks he comments and opines on too many things and that often feeds the media with quotes that allow them to ridicule him. Why constantly invite controversy? He should learn that less can be more.

Just my 2 cents.

7 posted on 05/01/2017 2:05:58 PM PDT by Starboard

quote:

Trump could say things a little smoother but once again he will expose how ignorant and biased the media really is..

10 posted on 05/01/2017 2:11:57 PM PDT by Kid Shelleen (Beat your plowshares into swords. Let the weak say I am strong)

Lack of Resorces, Manpower, Lagging Industrialization, no International Support, but other than that we totally would have won.

quote:

the wrong side won in 1865

some bad generals , poor political leadership

can we have a do over?

13 posted on 05/01/2017 2:16:40 PM PDT by LeoWindhorse (America First !)

So you agree that Jackson would not of stopped the Civil War, good to know.

quote:

Correct. No Jackson fan here, but he made it clear he would send in troops if SC seceded. If the rest of the South had seceded, the Union likely would have won sooner as South would have been much weaker economically and its officers like Lee wouldn’t have had Mexican War experience.

17 posted on 05/01/2017 2:22:46 PM PDT by LS ("Castles Made of Sand, Fall in the Sea . . . Eventually" (Hendrix))

quote:

Jefferson Davis was not the brightest on the block. His army in Kentucky was split three ways with 3 generals independently in charge; reporting to no one. They did not have an objective.

Heaven help us had the south won. And, I am a southerner.

21 posted on 05/01/2017 2:32:38 PM PDT by The_Media_never_lie (Parroting fake news is highly profitable for some.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

From here it degenerates into a Lost Cause slapfight so I'll stop here.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I love how much they know about their own ancestor's cowardly defeat.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Jagged Jim posted:

But Trump is far more knowledgeable regarding U.S. history than the media.

Considering Trump only knows what the media says about US history
Love the revisionism though. I'm sure if union vets were alive today they'd be beating the gently caress out of this turd

quote:

Were the states mere vassals of the very national government that they created, or did they have an equal say in deciding what is Constitutional.

I.E. they wanted new states to be slave holding states and the feds told them no. The only "states rights" issue was they wanted the right to own people and a bunch of rich people suckered other dolts into backing them...kinda like that rich fucker in DC suckering all the braindead conservatives into backing him

quote:

Correct. No Jackson fan here, but he made it clear he would send in troops if SC seceded. If the rest of the South had seceded, the Union likely would have won sooner as South would have been much weaker economically and its officers like Lee wouldn’t have had Mexican War experience.

17 posted on 05/01/2017 2:22:46 PM PDT by LS ("Castles Made of Sand, Fall in the Sea . . . Eventually" (Hendrix))

Lol, speaking of history, there was this little skirmish with the Brits during Jackson's military career and it should tell you all you need to know about the US military preparedness.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 2, 2017

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

He understands what's happening he just needs to draw the right conclusion.

Elect representatives that are even further right, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

SocketWrench posted:

Lol, speaking of history, there was this little skirmish with the Brits during Jackson's military career and it should tell you all you need to know about the US military preparedness.

I'm listening...