Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Barudak posted:

The film just completelt nosedives at the end

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Look it made me cry as well but he had to do that to save New York

This deserves an emptyquote, which unfortunately is not allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the best sequence in the entire Marvel movie franchise.

First Avenger owns in so many ways. Although Bucky's death is really dumb.

I never really knew anything about Marvel other than the Spiderman cartoon and the X-Men cartoon. When I saw Captain America First Avenger I knew Bucky was Steve's friend and he didn't want him to die. But I didn't get that they had a cosmic connection that would lead Steve to drop everything and be SO devoted to Bucky through 2 movies so far at the expense of the avengers, the US government, etc.

He had a few scenes leading up to getting super soldiered and they seemed chummy and such but man. I thought Steve had a closer connection to Stanly Tucci in that movie than Bucky.

I guess I need to rewatch it -- it would make Winter Soldier and Civil War make more sense to me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It would be kind of insane to go back in time 10-years and tell my younger self that in the future Dave Bautista and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson will deliver multiple very enjoyable acting performances and headline major blockbuster movies.

Or tell a comics fan that Iron Man, Captain America, and Guardians of the Galaxy films would be outperforming Superman and Batman films critically and financially.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

Or tell a comics fan that Iron Man, Captain America, and Guardians of the Galaxy films would be outperforming Superman and Batman films critically and financially.

Hey guess what? We're going to get a movie featuring Rocket Raccoon and it's going to make over half a billion dollars

And then we're gonna get a tv show featuring Squirrel Girl

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Maybe because people don't come in with 5 tonnes of baggage to Iron Man, Captain America, GoTG etc. compared to icons like Superman and Batman.

BUT CAPTAIN AMERICA IS SO ICONIC

Perhaps... people knew of him but I'd safely bet before the movies the general public didn't care too much. So the movies come in with a blank slate and people fall in love.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Superman doesn't sell books. The idea of him being this huge moneymaker is bogus.

He's iconic, he's widely known, but he's not interesting and nobody cares about his stories, just what he represents and in fact a large amount of the criticism toward the movies is some variant on "you shouldn't DO THAT with Superman!" (i.e. make him an incorruptible perfect symbol, which is the kiss of death for a dramatic character)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 1, 2017

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Am I mis-remembering GotG1 or is there nothing impressive about Batista's performance?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Dave posted:

Am I mis-remembering GotG1 or is there nothing impressive about Batista's performance?

It's his deadpan delivery more than anything, as well as the scene in which he gets hammer-drunk with Rocket.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The Dave posted:

A professional wrestler took an extremely limited role and managed to be a stand-out character in an extremely popular movie. I was certainly impressed.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The Dave posted:

I mean, he's not getting any Oscars, but he brought a lot of charm and humor to the role. So, basically most of Dwayne Johnson's roles.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Dave posted:

They use his inability to act very cleverly in GotG1, it is a good recurring gag. I am sure they refine that further in 2.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Bautista is the only thing I liked about GotG1

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

TiCK posted:

I never really knew anything about Marvel other than the Spiderman cartoon and the X-Men cartoon. When I saw Captain America First Avenger I knew Bucky was Steve's friend and he didn't want him to die. But I didn't get that they had a cosmic connection that would lead Steve to drop everything and be SO devoted to Bucky through 2 movies so far at the expense of the avengers, the US government, etc.

He had a few scenes leading up to getting super soldiered and they seemed chummy and such but man. I thought Steve had a closer connection to Stanly Tucci in that movie than Bucky.

I guess I need to rewatch it -- it would make Winter Soldier and Civil War make more sense to me.

It's clearly established in the movie that he's been his friend since childhood, fought bullies by his side, set him up on double dates with ladies, gave him a place to stay when he had trouble at home, was there for him when his mom died, etc. They even had a "ride or die" pact that gets brought up in the other movies. Not sure how you missed all of that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slugworth posted:

I mean, he's not getting any Oscars, but he brought a lot of charm and humor to the role. So, basically most of Dwayne Johnson's roles.

From what I've read about the production of GotG1, Bautista's just better at comedy than the traditional "Let's get a pro wrestler to play a menacing bad guy!" role. He also specifically took a bunch of acting classes because his kids cared about Guardians much more than any of his previous film work. Dude's apparently a funny, warm-hearted goofball in real life.

Steve Yun posted:

Hey guess what? We're going to get a movie featuring Rocket Raccoon and it's going to make over half a billion dollars

And then we're gonna get a tv show featuring Squirrel Girl

Also, Iron Man of all people becoming one of the most famous and iconic film superheroes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dragonshirt posted:

It's clearly established in the movie that he's been his friend since childhood, fought bullies by his side, set him up on double dates with ladies, gave him a place to stay when he had trouble at home, was there for him when his mom died, etc. They even had a "ride or die" pact that gets brought up in the other movies. Not sure how you missed all of that.

You're not really friends unless you have sloppy make-outs.

Do it, Marvel! :munch:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
In 2017, a member of the WWF Hall of Fame is:

- The highest paid actor of 2016.
- Star of one of the highest grossing movies of all time.
- President of the United States.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

In 2017, a member of the WWF Hall of Fame is:

- The highest paid actor of 2016.
- Star of one of the highest grossing movies of all time.
- President of the United States.

holy poo poo :aaaaa:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Superman doesn't sell books. The idea of him being this huge moneymaker is bogus.

He's iconic, he's widely known, but he's not interesting and nobody cares about his stories, just what he represents and in fact a large amount of the criticism toward the movies is some variant on "you shouldn't DO THAT with Superman!" (i.e. make him an incorruptible perfect symbol, which is the kiss of death for a dramatic character)

Plenty of people care about Superman's stories. There are alot of fans of his comics (Morrison, Moore) and the cartoon is well liked by alot of the nerds that like to talk about movies through their computers. I think you're just inputting your own take on it and expanding it to objectivity.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Shageletic posted:

nerds that like to talk about movies through their computers.

That's like 40 or 50 people.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That's like 40 or 50 people.

Well he said nobody.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Shageletic posted:

Plenty of people care about Superman's stories. There are alot of fans of his comics (Morrison, Moore) and the cartoon is well liked by alot of the nerds that like to talk about movies through their computers. I think you're just inputting your own take on it and expanding it to objectivity.

Here' my evidence that people, as a rule, do not care: The cartoon is literally two decades old and petered out faster than Batman: The Animated Series (reminder that the Superman cartoon became a Superman/Batman co-joint for half its run). In fact this is the story of Superman: he gets used as a supporting character because everyone else is more interesting. There are no well-liked arcs from his comic books that aren't Elseworlds stories (i.e. stories that are free to evolve the character because they aren't "real" Superman) since Death of Superman. His monthly comic books sell 1/2 the amount of Batman or less and rarely-to-never crack the top 5. So I'm very sorry, but you'll have to do better than that.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Well he said nobody.

But you said the opposite. Which is why I quoted you and not him.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
To be fair, most things that you compare to Batman: The Animated Series are going to seem less interesting.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

To be fair, most things that you compare to Batman: The Animated Series are going to seem less interesting.

"most things"???????????

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

"most things"???????????

Definitley better than gefilte fish, homework, the ontological concept of "chairs". Checks out.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Interest draining out of my face as I realize that the man offering an unlimited supply of free roller-coaster rides has nothing to do with the delivery of my Batman: The Animated Series DVD boxset

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It was a really good show you guys

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I think Superman's costume fashion sense is what limits his sales compared to sleek gray and black mil-gadgetry, yeah I said it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean the original point was a time traveller going "holy poo poo guys a movie about Iron Man and another featuring Rocket Racoon outsold a Superman film in the mid-20-teens!" Which is sort've impressive without context but depending what time you even went back to, a lot of people might say "oh they eventually get another Superman franchise off the ground? That's neat..." Like 10 years ago you already had Superman Returns getting stuffed by X-Men the Last loving Stand and before that the last Superman in memory was a poo poo show. I don't think it would blow as many actual minds as people are assuming, although it is a fun thought exercise.

Of course, this could all just be more short-hand for the typical "Marvel rules, DC drools" stuff.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean the original point was a time traveller going "holy poo poo guys a movie about Iron Man and another featuring Rocket Racoon outsold a Superman film in the mid-20-teens!" Which is sort've impressive without context but depending what time you even went back to, a lot of people might say "oh they eventually get another Superman franchise off the ground? That's neat..." Like 10 years ago you already had Superman Returns getting stuffed by X-Men the Last loving Stand and before that the last Superman in memory was a poo poo show. I don't think it would blow as many actual minds as people are assuming, although it is a fun thought exercise.

Of course, this could all just be more short-hand for the typical "Marvel rules, DC drools" stuff.

The original time traveler point was about pro wrestlers!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah. 10 years ago Iron Man was in the middle of filming and the Civil War event had just wrapped up in the comics, so the idea that Captain America and Iron Man could carry a big franchise wouldn't have been inconceivable.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The original time traveler point was about pro wrestlers!

Well that part is actually legitimately mind-blowing and I am living through it. I guess I meant the subsequent point about Superman lol

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ten years ago I don't think any particular movie or show was inconceivable. Thinking of them as all linked in the same general continuity like the comics are was the big leap and accomplishment.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Wonder Woman trailer that came with Gotham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSkAnlqcZTU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lobok posted:

Ten years ago I don't think any particular movie or show was inconceivable. Thinking of them as all linked in the same general continuity like the comics are was the big leap and accomplishment.

I think the actual accomplishment here is tricking people into thinking any of the links matter, and that it is, in fact, an accomplishment.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

New Wonder Woman trailer that came with Gotham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSkAnlqcZTU

Looks really good.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was reading a discussion somewhere about the lack of advertising and merchandising for the Wonder Woman film and someone mentioned there weren't any action figures in the stores yet and someone else mentioned that a whole bunch of other films had multiple Lego sets on the market at this point but WW only had one set and linked to it .... and the Lego box art has a big fat spoiler on it. So don't go googling 'wonder woman lego' if you're trying to avoid spoilers.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
An actual legit spoiler, or something like this?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Impossible to say until the movie comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Doctor Spaceman posted:

An actual legit spoiler, or something like this?

Yeah that's why you've got to take Lego "spoilers" with a grain of salt. :v:

But no, it's more like the Lego set that spoiled Ant Man turning into Giant Man in Civil War.

It's not even that much of a spoiler, it's something that I suspect will appear in trailers closer to the release date. If people are wondering it shows Wonder Woman fighting a gigantic version of Ares. Which everyone pretty much expected to happen anyway.

• Locked thread