Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Danger posted:

Also the diner sequence is like an explicit quote of American Graffiti.

But American Graffiti came out in 1973, this is supposed to be a galaxy far far away?!?!?! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Basebf555 posted:

But American Graffiti came out in 1973, this is supposed to be a galaxy far far away?!?!?! :suicide:

If anything American Graffiti is quoting Episode 2, since it happened first

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Hydronium posted:

What do you feel is wrong, that the PT tried something new, or that TFA didn't? (I'm not sure anyone says that about the OT, nor would it make sense.)

Like, forget "originality", which is an iffy concept to begin with in a series that began by combining The Hidden Fortress with Flash Gordon and finishing off with the climax of The Dambusters. For me the biggest issue with TFA is that it lacks imagination. There's very little in there that makes me say "wow, I've never seen anything like this". There's no moments like these:

Even Rogue One, which spends a good deal of time with designs and locations plucked straight from the OT, captures them in new and interesting ways - I've talked a lot before about how I love the various ways the Death Star is filmed in the movie, and how they manage to make one of the oldest and most referenced designs in the series feel like you're seeing it for the first time.

TFA just...doesn't seem interested in that. It rarely lingers on those moments of novelty it has. Abrams likes the Falcon and X-wings and TIE fighters, and that's fine. I like them too, but even more I like the feeling I had seeing them for the first time on screen. To me, that's one of the things that makes Star Wars what it is, that sense that every scene you might see something you've never seen before. It's something the other seven movies have in spades, and TFA doesn't, nor does seem like it even wants to try.

lmao you revere CGI turds as high as actually magical and emotional moments from the OT

who are you loving people

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danger posted:

And, I mean, they are like explicitly made more children. Lucas has been vocal about that since first making Star Wars.

This isn't an excuse to make a bad movie, and this is what I take issue with the most in these discussions.

Lord Hydronium posted:

I feel like I just read a Markov chain of prequel complaints. :psyduck: A third of those are just things listed without context that I guess we're supposed to hate, a third are misunderstood plot points, and a third are tactical realism complaints.

That was more or less the point of the exercise. People in general don't like or remember these films because they're poorly constructed cinema, in contrary to the "only nerds hate these films" argument that people keep making for some reason. It's just a wash of "what?" and "huh?" for 2 hour chunks that don't really do anything interesting. Hell, I actually prefer the Prequels for all their flaws to Force Awakens & Rogue One because they at least tried to be original, but I digress from this ideal that "only nerds hate these movies" or that they're somehow actually good movies even though they have massive, glaring flaws in how they're constructed and their internal logic.

homullus posted:

"Prequel memes" became a thing because nerds are dumb and hyper-conservative about their nerd intellectual properties. Nothing must change their precious, the precious must live forever and generate new content while conforming to their headcanon.

They're a fun and entertaining collective exercise in deconstructing a series of films with a fillet knife and pulling sweet, sweet strips of comedy out of schlock like "your lightsaber will make a fine addition to my collection."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Schwarzwald posted:

About half of that doesn't happen.

It's never stated that Palpatine was Darth Plagueis apprentice (not that he wasn't, it's definitely possible), just that Palpatine was familiar with Sith mythology.
Palpatine did not plan on Queen Amidala escaping, or detouring to Tattoine. It's never suggested that Palpatine was aware of Anakin to any degree before he's brought to Coruscant.

You've mistaken fan theories (or "Prequel Memes") for the actual events of the film.

Well; Palpatine being Plagueis' apprentice was a Legends thing. I'm not 100% sure if it's still canonical or not.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So if I understand, the Star Wars timeline is as follows:

The Phantom Menace > Attack of the Clones > Revenge of the Sith > Rouge One > Star Wars > Empire Strikes Back > Return of the Jedi > The Force Awakens > The Last Jedi > The Hidden Fortress > The Searchers > A Fistful of Dollars > Metropolis > THX 1138 > American Graffiti > A New Hope

Is this right?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i think its really awesome that the nerd religion of star wars has its own council of nicea on what is and isn't canon. The Board Room Of Hollywood of 2015 determined that hundreds of thousands of nerds wasted their time reading dime store trash novels

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Raxivace posted:

The Phantom Menace > Attack of the Clones > Revenge of the Sith > Rouge One > Star Wars > Empire Strikes Back > Return of the Jedi > The Force Awakens > The Last Jedi > The Hidden Fortress > The Searchers > A Fistful of Dollars > Metropolis > THX 1138 > American Graffiti > A New Hope

Is this right?

Yes, but Red Tails happens right before A New Hope.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Phi230 posted:

lmao you revere CGI turds as high as actually magical and emotional moments from the OT

who are you loving people

The prequels had some of the best miniature work of all time. There was some astounding work done on them.

Taintrunner posted:

This isn't an excuse to make a bad movie, and this is what I take issue with the most.

Again, there's nothing wrong with being a children's movie or made for children. No one is saying it's an excuse. Just that Lucas set out to explicitly make films for children. It is a nice perk that the pre-quels are pretty darn good movies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Phi230 posted:

i think its really awesome that the nerd religion of star wars has its own council of nicea on what is and isn't canon. The Board Room Of Hollywood of 2015 determined that hundreds of thousands of nerds wasted their time reading dime store trash novels

The Lucasfilm Story Group is its own entity; not part of "Hollywood 2015" or whatever.

And Legends is still a timeline that exists to be read and enjoyed; that time wasn't "wasted".

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Only dummies listen to those nerds.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phi230 posted:

Oh god, even better, the "Lucasfilm Story Group" is now micromanaging a whole new EU that is almost entirely dry and soulless schlock, like, "what if Vader had to fight a whole bunch of weirdos to keep his job after A New Hope," and uh "C-3PO's red arm has a super long and convoluted story behind it." So now they have to buy a whole new set of dime store trash novels, including a new Thrawn book!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Raxivace posted:

The Phantom Menace > Attack of the Clones > Revenge of the Sith > Rouge One > Star Wars > Empire Strikes Back > Return of the Jedi > The Force Awakens > The Last Jedi > The Hidden Fortress > The Searchers > A Fistful of Dollars > Metropolis > THX 1138 > American Graffiti > A New Hope > Reign of Fire

Is this right?

You got it!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Rogue One was memorable if only for how loving terrifying it made the Death Star seem. I do agree that I can't really remember the major set pieces of TFA though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Attack of the Clones alone had more miniatures than the entire original trilogy put together.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Taintrunner posted:

Oh god, even better, the "Lucasfilm Story Group" is now micromanaging a whole new EU that is almost entirely dry and soulless schlock, like, "what if Vader had to fight a whole bunch of weirdos to keep his job after A New Hope," and uh "C-3PO's red arm has a super long and convoluted story behind it." So now they have to buy a whole new set of dime store trash novels, including a new Thrawn book!

Phantom Limb was a single 40 page comic book. That's hardly "long and convoluted"

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Phi230 posted:

It's 2017 and you're complaining about CGI.

Taintrunner posted:

schlock like "your lightsaber will make a fine addition to my collection."
Okay, so since you keep just bringing up random things and expecting everyone to know why you hate them, let's just pick this example. Why is it bad?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
"But the CGI" is the Star Wars equivalent of "but her emails"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Grrr, movie for kids bad! Me angry! Storgroup say book I read not canon!? Grr! It like entertainment retroactively taken away! Grr! Star Wars bad!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

Only dummies listen to those nerds.

oh gently caress a schism

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lord Hydronium posted:

It's 2017 and you're complaining about CGI.

What's that shot even supposed to be?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
apropos of nothing a friend of mine who is a huge fan of Knights of the Old Republic really wants me to play it. I own it but it's so old and it's in that awful transitional stage of being an early 3D game so it's barely playable. I enjoyed Dragon Age Origins which supposedly employs similar mechanics but trying to play through this game seems like a chore. I've sunk maybe an hour and a half into it, worth pressing on or no?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RBA Starblade posted:

Slave I's bomb going off the Geonosis rings

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

Ah yes, the Dime Store Trash Reformation

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Xibanya posted:

apropos of nothing a friend of mine who is a huge fan of Knights of the Old Republic really wants me to play it. I own it but it's so old and it's in that awful transitional stage of being an early 3D game so it's barely playable. I enjoyed Dragon Age Origins which supposedly employs similar mechanics but trying to play through this game seems like a chore. I've sunk maybe an hour and a half into it, worth pressing on or no?

Meh, it's awakward. Like, people praise the story and characters..but its bioware. Play Mass Effect instead as a Biotic and you got a better experience that pretty up matches up.

Seriously, who wants to the play the d20 system in video game form?

Also, anyone who thinks Revan is a "deep and amazing" character forgets that Revan has LITERALLY no personality: he is a blank slate the player defines.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Taintrunner posted:

Which reminds me, when Palpatine orders Anakin to brutally decapitate an unarmed man (in a supposed children's film), Anakin faces no consequences from the Jedi council for committing a war crime. Or murdering children in the previous film.

No one knows about these. Obi-Wan was unconscious when Anakin slew Dooku, and neither Anakin nor Palpatine is going to disclose the exact circumstances to the council. Going by the Clone Wars cartoon, Obi-Wan would probably just shrug it off anyway too, like "that's our Anakin!" as he shakes his head and goes, "tsk, tsk."

And is Padme going to report Anakin's slaughter of the Tuskens? She only wants to protect him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xibanya posted:

DnD 3rd edition is trash, the setting is uninteresting, and it continues the weird codification of things that arent in the movies getting specific gameplay relevant definitions. Characters are Bioware.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Taintrunner posted:

That was more or less the point of the exercise. People in general don't like or remember these films because they're poorly constructed cinema, in contrary to the "only nerds hate these films" argument that people keep making for some reason. It's just a wash of "what?" and "huh?" for 2 hour chunks that don't really do anything interesting.

Given that you're arguing based on memes and not the content of the films (which you admit you don't remember), I don't know how much you're helping your case that "only nerds hate these films."

jivjov posted:

Well; Palpatine being Plagueis' apprentice was a Legends thing. I'm not 100% sure if it's still canonical or not.

I specified that it wasn't stated in the film. That's true regardless of if it's a Legends thing.

Phi230 posted:

I don't know if I'd call it awesome, but it is legitimately hilarious.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

RBA Starblade posted:

What jivjov said, and a video would probably have been better for the point since the animation and especially sound design are what make that moment.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I enjoyed my time with both the KOTOR games, but they definitely do their own thing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jivjov posted:

Phantom Limb was a single 40 page comic book. That's hardly "long and convoluted"

Hyperbole for comedic effect aside, the whole point was everyone dunked on the EU for riffing on the idea that every character or thing on-screen in Star Wars had a super long and intricate backstory behind it. Now Disney/Lucasfilm is doing the same thing again, but it's "canon."

quote:

Okay, so since you keep just bringing up random things and expecting everyone to know why you hate them, let's just pick this example. Why is it bad?

Grievous is this absurdist robot character who can apparently easily dispatch Jedi (because Count Dooku taught him) by spinning 4 lightsabers really fast. He's silly and non-imposing, and the film doesn't portray him as this powerful and imposing character. Just compare how Vader strolls onto the blockade runner in A New Hope versus how Grevious is portrayed in Revenge of the Sith.

In the PT's shot-reverse-shot format, Grievous stretching his arms out on equal ground with Kenobi is somehow supposed to be imposing, and nobody else in the scene, Kenobi included, really reacts to this poo poo. Vader is almost always shown to be stoic, imposing, and taking up a lot of space without overextending himself. It's clear that Vader is dangerous, imposing, and holds the power advantage in any confrontation, just look at how he holds up his saber in one hand against Luke, who is flexing himself into a combat pose:

Schwarzwald posted:

Given that you're arguing based on memes and not the content of the films (which you admit you don't remember), I don't know how much you're helping your case that "only nerds hate these films."

I said people in general don't remember, I remember them. I also am saying "people in general do not like the Prequel Trilogy."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lord Hydronium posted:

What jivjov said, and a video would probably have been better for the point since the animation and especially sound design are what make that moment.

Yeah the sound of the seismic charge is really really good. I'm glad I finally got to experience that in a theater during the marathon

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hint: people like KOTOR because they were kids when they played it

same reason people like the prequels

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Taintrunner posted:

He's silly and non-imposing, and the film doesn't portray him as this powerful and imposing character.
Okay, then what makes you think he should be?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Taintrunner posted:

Grievous is this absurdist robot character who can apparently easily dispatch Jedi (because Count Dooku taught him) by spinning 4 lightsabers really fast. He's silly and non-imposing, and the film doesn't portray him as this powerful and imposing character. Just compare how Vader strolls onto the blockade runner in A New Hope versus how Grevious is portrayed in Revenge of the Sith.

In the PT's shot-reverse-shot format, Grievous stretching his arms out on equal ground with Kenobi is somehow supposed to be imposing, and nobody else in the scene, Kenobi included, really reacts to this poo poo. Vader is almost always shown to be stoic, imposing, and taking up a lot of space without overextending himself. It's clear that Vader is dangerous, imposing, and holds the power advantage in any confrontation, just look at how he holds up his saber in one hand against Luke, who is flexing himself into a combat pose:

Yes, Grievous and Darth Vader are two different characters. You haven't explained why Greivous is bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Wait, so you're saying that some people honestly enjoy the prequels and aren't just bullshitting to piss people off on the internet?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Much like the prequels, I go back to KOTOR occasionally and it remains pretty good.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Hydronium posted:

Okay, then what makes you think he should be?

He can slaughter Jedi and keeps their lightsabers as trophies? So shouldn't a Jedi like Kenobi react or act in a way that isn't clearly exposing himself and shouting "Hello there!"

The confrontation between these characters doesn't show what the film is telling us to believe about these characters. In fact, that's the greatest crime - it largely tells without showing, i.e. Anakin being Obi-Wan's "good friend." They largely can't stand each other on-screen.

Schwarzwald posted:

Yes, Grievous and Darth Vader are two different characters. You haven't explained why Greivous is bad.

I did, actually. The language of film (how Vader vs. Grievous are depicted within the frame of film) is not utilized to explain why this character, who is similar to the other character in that they easily dispatch of Jedi, the most powerful warriors in the galaxy, is threatening and imposing to our protagionists, Anakin and Obi-Wan, in any way. From shot construction to acting, Grievous is said to be a Jedi killer, but he is not shown to be a Jedi killer - by Anakin and Obi-Wan reacting in an appropriate manner for what we're supposed to believe about Grievous.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 1, 2017

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The prequels suck because GLucas couldn't direct an actor to save his life. PERIOD.

Edit: KOTOR is just lovely Baldur's Gate II in 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's almost as if the film is deliberately telling you something different from what the characters say about themselves and each other.

• Locked thread