Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LeJackal posted:

I have family that died in those camps.

The Germans documented everything I feel like there'd be some record of someone falling out of a guard tower balls deep in a rottweiler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

LeJackal posted:

Oliver still gets top billing, you can't say that counts.

Edit: Plus all the plots revolve around him, too!
Nevertheless, the dog content in that one is pretty drat high; high enough that I'd consider it a dog film wot stars a cat.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
aristocats was my favourite childhood movie gently caress you all

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
...i suddenly remember our french teacher (an australian woman who'd never been to france) tried to play it to us in class in year 8 for some reason, kids were smoking weed up the back of the class and scratching swastikas into all the desks

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
incidentally when i was 7 my school desk for an entire semester had a large swastika carved into it and reinforced with pen (this was the junior primary equivalent of torching a building). i believe the teacher selected the desk for me quite innocently, teachers in my town were permanently on the edge of a nervous breakdown so i don't think she even noticed it. i hadn't been taught about the holocaust yet and didn't recognise the symbol so i thought it was pretty and when other kids were drawing the cool s in chalk on the asphalt i'd be happily drawing bright pink swastikas everywhere

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:australia:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
she just put the aristocats up on the tiny circa-1980 classroom television in front of thirty mostly-poor rural 14-year-olds and walked away for an hour

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I also went to a rural high school in this godforsaken country but I was a straight A student and every teacher liked me :smug:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i of course did not wreak havoc because i was working on my 148-a5-page handwritten kingdom hearts original character opus in the second-front row closest to the wall which was my seat in every class because it was private, close enough to the door for safety, but not right at the front where only sweet simple idiots did sit. in closing, to everyone itt who has ragged on kingdom hearts: gently caress you. (aristocats is fair game, it really isn't very good, i think the drunk goose was my favourite character)

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

I also went to a rural high school in this godforsaken country but I was a straight A student and every teacher liked me :smug:

Would you say that you were.....the teacher's pet?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i was a straight a student and every teacher liked me except the few with whom i had a vicious mutual blood feud

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

LeJackal posted:

:laugh:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Avshalom posted:

the few with whom i had a vicious mutual blood feud
who inevitably turned out to have been classroom enemies of my extremely good-looking mother when they were all in small town high school back in the 70s. i am guessing this is also the case for hedrigall

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

LeJackal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBCJLz1dF-o

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I spent a lot of time in "honors" classes thinking about how Ulysses was substantially less good than Berserk.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

The voice of Nathan Lane and that oddly early 90's callback animation style just....it finds a weird place.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Just lol if you weren't a high school drop out.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

So Walt Disney says, "That's a hell of a movie! What do you call it?"

"The Aristocats!"
:shittypop: :laugh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pick posted:

I spent a lot of time in "honors" classes thinking about how Ulysses was substantially less good than Berserk.

What are you talking about, Ulysses is bad rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I spent all my math classes drawing and passing around my calculator with a cheat sheet hidden in the cover.
I learned how to ink in geometry, algebra II was drawing bugs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I watched The Road to El Dorado for the first time last night. I enjoyed it lots.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

teagone posted:

I watched The Road to El Dorado for the first time last night. I enjoyed it lots.

I watched it last year but all i can remember is how *ahem* well-animated Chel was :popeye:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hedrigall posted:

I watched it last year but all i can remember is how *ahem* well-animated Chel was :popeye:

Haha, yeah. They definitely drew her... T H I C C.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Gonna squeeze in half of Balto before bed :munch:

... this movie has live-action parts?

e: ... with Miriam Margolyes?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Man, Steele's 3 sidekicks are animated with such character. I kinda want to go through the shots of them frame-by-frame just to study them.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 1, 2017

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Man, Steele's 3 sidekicks are animated with such character. I kinda want to go through the shots of them frame-by-frame just to study them.

It's actually kind of jarring how much animation goes into Steele and his henchdogs, while Balto is animated so flatly. It makes him a lot less interesting as a protagonist when his character and animation is so bland.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pick posted:

I never really pictured you as a Berserk fan.

I made it through high school constantly on the verge of failing classes, not because I couldn't do the work or got consistently bad grades, but because I knew I could get a perfect score on anything I wanted to, and did so just often enough to keep myself above the passing line, and just... didn't do any other work.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I never really pictured you as a Berserk fan.

I made it through high school constantly on the verge of failing classes, not because I couldn't do the work or got consistently bad grades, but because I knew I could get a perfect score on anything I wanted to, and did so just often enough to keep myself above the passing line, and just... didn't do any other work.

No you couldn't.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

porfiria posted:

No you couldn't.

Actually, I could.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Actually, I could.

you're literally thirty or something and still telling yourself the "I'm brilliant, just too lazy to be accomplished" story

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

you're literally thirty or something and still telling yourself the "I'm brilliant, just too lazy to be accomplished" story

no, you couldn't

No, I'm not, and yes, I could.

I could do that in highschool, not because I'm brilliant but because highschool is a joke. I have to work my rear end off now.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's way more common than you think. I went to a high school that graded exams and the loving State assessment test so heavily that just passing those will get you a C or C+ grade, which isn't great but enough to let you graduate.

Let's put it this way, my state assessment test is so heavily weighted that for two years in high school and one year in middle school in math classes, we're solely taught how to answer the questions. Not how to solve it, but how to answer it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

It is my experience that it is entirely possible to do that in high school, at least in the Ohio public school district I attended.

In my case, depression and anxiety issues began to heavily interfere with my academics (so it's less I chose not to do the work and more I couldn't do it), but I still passed most of my courses (barely) because tests counted for such a large percentage of my grade.

It's kind of weird reading everyone's school experiences, because over a five year period I went from straight A teacher's pet, to being derided by my teachers for being "brilliant but lazy" (which was a significant source of depression for a long while: if I was so brilliant then why couldn't I do the work?), to drat nearly dropping out.

Robindaybird posted:

It's way more common than you think. I went to a high school that graded exams and the loving State assessment test so heavily that just passing those will get you a C or C+ grade, which isn't great but enough to let you graduate.

Oh, poo poo, I forgot about State Assessment Tests. My school advisor was legitimately distressed by the discrepancy between my high grades on the Proficiency Tests compared to my actual school grades.

Ohio had a thing where public schools got more compensation from the state based on how well the average student scored on those tests, and apparently my district was trying very hard to find some correlation between the classes and teachers students had and how well they scored on their Proficiency Tests. The handful of students who did well on the tests but poorly in class completely hosed up their calculations.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 1, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

It is my experience that it is entirely possible to do that in high school, at least in the Ohio public school district I attended.

In my case, depression and anxiety issues began to heavily interfere with my academics (so it's less I chose not to do the work and more I couldn't do it), but I still passed most of my courses (barely) because tests counted for such a large percentage of my grade.

It's kind of weird reading everyone's school experiences, because over a five year period I went from straight A teacher's pet, to being derided by my teachers for being "brilliant but lazy" (which was a significant source of depression for a long while: if I was so brilliant then why couldn't I do the work?), to drat nearly dropping out.

it's very doable, but it's an accomplishment even more telling to announce apropos of nothing like a decade after the fact than that you could've totally made the highschool football team, but didn't try.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 1, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it's very doable, but it's an accomplishment even more telling to announce apropos of nothing like a decade after the fact than that you could've totally made the highschool football team, but didn't try.

People were talking about highschool, Goatse Wizard. If I'd known you were going to be this weird about it I would have picked a different story.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I distinctly recall excelling in high school, barely feeling a need to finish the work, feeling smart and superior, and then proceeded to have my rear end kicked repeatedly by college. I'm still trying to learn good study habits instead of slacking off because of some dumb arrogance that I can wing it.

Public schools are not good at challenging kids who do well.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I was an excellent writer in high school, got a bunch of scholastic awards for terrible garbage poetry and Lacanian deconstructions of Shakespeare while walking the tightrope between Cs and Ds in math, and so my horrible academic advisor urged me to get a literature degree so I could be, presumably, a professional Lacanian literature critic when I grew up. I didn't watch a lot of cartoons, except for All Dogs Go To Heaven, religiously.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 1, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly, this story sounds kind of familiar to me; I was also more or less a straight A student in high school (up until my Senior year, anyway, I caught Senioritis something hard), but then college proved to be significantly more difficult than high school ever was, to the point that my final college GPA was ultimately sub-3.0.

Anyway, considering the subject at hand and the thread we're discussing it in, how long until somebody uses it to segue into A Goofy Movie? I mean, okay, Max didn't go to college until An Extremely Goofy Movie apparently, but I was reminded of it regardless.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
High school is terrible at actually educating, but super good and effective at engendering in teenagers an intensely adversarial attitude towards learning and educators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I learned way more in high school than college. Sorry you guys didn't grow up upper middle class lol.