Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Very curious who those 3 first place center votes went to. My money is between Deandre and Boogie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gobert not being on six ballots is insane

Paul Zuvella posted:

Very curious who those 3 first place center votes went to. My money is between Deandre and Boogie.

Jokic may have gotten one but it's probably Jordan

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Redgrendel2001 posted:

ESPN leaked the All NBA teams:

1st
Anthony Davis
LeBron
Kawhi
Westbrook
Harden

2nd
Gobert
Durant
Giannis
Wall
Curry

3rd
KAT
Draymond
Butler
DeRozan
IT2

Looks like Paul George is heading to L.A.

The only thing that sticks out to me is Durant on 2nd team over Green. (because games played) Durant still played enough of the season where it's not really an issue to me. He is the best player on the Warriors. I'd also consider Boogie over Durant because of that same reason. These are good teams. I'm glad the voters remembered Paul George didn't show up until the back half of the season.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 1, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Well people hate Green and they don't care about defense, whereas Kevin Durant has trapped many of the voters' family members in a sticky netting that he exudes from the spinneret glands of his abdomen, which is unique for players of his caliber

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

EvanTH posted:

Well people hate Green and they don't care about defense, whereas Kevin Durant has trapped many of the voters' family members in a sticky netting that he exudes from the spinneret glands of his abdomen, which is unique for players of his caliber

loving lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
So does anyone get hosed out of the DPE by those All-NBA selections? Gordon Hayward basically?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I know that Steph Curry is considered a great shooter but not a great all-around player, but I am still surprised that the unanimous MVP who led his team to the best regular season record of all time, and who shattered the three point shooting record, is not on the first team.

Is this a reaction to the Warriors losing in the Finals, or is it just backlash against Curry in general?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

glowing-fish posted:

I know that Steph Curry is considered a great shooter but not a great all-around player, but I am still surprised that the unanimous MVP who led his team to the best regular season record of all time, and who shattered the three point shooting record, is not on the first team.

Is this a reaction to the Warriors losing in the Finals, or is it just backlash against Curry in general?

Harden and Westbrook were the two favourites for the MVP this year. They are on the first team. Not that weird IMO.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Hmm. Strange kyrie Irving isn't all 5 players on the first team. Go figure

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

No.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

Yeah, voters not voting for him based on his accomplishments in 2015-2016 for the 2016-2017 first team All-NBA is totally entirely because of a Warriors backlash! It's a conspiracy I tell you!

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I could go with Marc Gasol over KAT and I toss up between George and Butler but mostly it's all pretty sane, cool.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Hayward probably has more reason to gripe than Paul George does tbh (and neither one of them has a particularly compelling argument for edging out Butler)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

glowing-fish posted:

No. He's not first team because he's not one of the top five players in the league this year.

Here's some tuples,
[Steph Curry's NBA leaderboard position by stat 15-16, Steph Curry's NBA leaderboard position by stat 16-17]:
FGs [1, 9]
3ptFG [1, 1]
3ptFG% [2, t-15] (his brother Seth was 6th)
Steals [1, t-4]
PER [1, 14]
TS% [1, 10]
OWS [1, 8]
WS [1, 8]
WS/48 [1, 8] (KD #1)
BPM [1, 9]
VORP [1, 6]

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Brolander posted:

Hmm. Strange kyrie Irving isn't all 5 players on the first team. Go figure

explanation found

https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/859169146440962049

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

alternative fact: 1st team is 5 dellys, 2nd team is 5 kyries

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

They should just go ahead and announce it then since the all-nba team wasn't going to be part of their lame awards show.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

What would fourth team be? Conley/Klay/PG/Hayward/Boogie? God drat the NBA is stacked right now.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I'm also concerned with who would be the All-NBA 17th team

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

I'm also concerned with who would be the All-NBA 17th team

The 33rd/34th best guards in the league is an interesting debate!!!

Also Klay Thompson is in no way the 7th or 8th best guard in the league this year, nowhere near it.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

The 33rd/34th best guards in the league is an interesting debate!!!

Throw in some forced pop culture references and baby you got a Bill Simmons column brewing.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I mean it's always been far more interesting to me when we talk about the Elfrid Paytons and the Dennis Schroeders of the world

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Declan MacManus posted:

I mean it's always been far more interesting to me when we talk about the Elfrid Paytons and the Dennis Schroeders of the world

7 Reasons Why Elfrid Payton is Beverly Hills 90210 and Dennis Schroeder is Melrose Place.

-Bill Simmons

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The NBA is super stacked right now and it makes the NFL look so dire by comparison. How many teams in the NFL don't have a good QB? Most of them? How many NFL teams have basically nothing to honestly be excited about next season unless you're a draft pick optimist? Again, probably most of them, it's really dire. There are whole divisions in the NFL that are trash fires. Contrast this to the NBA where there are probably half a dozen lottery bound teams that probably think they have a shot at the playoffs next season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

How deep do we have to go before Rubio is all-NBA?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

leftist heap posted:

The NBA is super stacked right now and it makes the NFL look so dire by comparison. How many teams in the NFL don't have a good QB? Most of them? How many NFL teams have basically nothing to honestly be excited about next season unless you're a draft pick optimist? Again, probably most of them, it's really dire. There are whole divisions in the NFL that are trash fires. Contrast this to the NBA where there are probably half a dozen lottery bound teams that probably think they have a shot at the playoffs next season.
This is non-sense. Good QB is a very relative thing and the QB pool is much better than ever before. A lot of NFL teams could have a bunch of guys emerge and the average NFL team has a much better shot at the Superbowl than the NBA does at a championship. How many teams in the NBA have a realistic shot at a championship with their current core? It's a very small number. Virtually every NFL team has a shot at the playoffs next year; it wouldn't be that weird if Jacksonville or Tennessee becomes a playoff team, and bottom feeder NFL teams can fluke their way to a playoff berth more reliably than their NBA equivalents.

The reason the NBA is better than the NFL because basketball is better than football.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

Depending on how you pick between guards and PG, but Rubio is probably around the 10-15 range of best PG in the league. He has a rough start to the season this year, but ended strong and had a really good year last year as well.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

IcePhoenix posted:

Rank by how much we'd like to see them in Big 3 and he's first team.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Off the top of my head I think you are right . Let's see:

Paul
Harden
Westbrook
Curry
Lowry
Wall
Conley
Kyrie
Dame
Kemba
IT
Goran
Hill
Teague??? Eh
Schroeder?? Eh

13-15 range

I may be forgetting someone

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

leftist heap posted:

I agree the talent situation in the NBA is great but not with the NFL comparison. Football is so inherently high variance, almost every team has hope every year, optimism is always warranted unless you're the Browns (conversely so is pessimism, unless you're the Pats). Look at situations like the 2011 Niners, 2015 Panthers, 2016 Cowboys and Falcons, etc. It's much more common for a team to make the leap in the NFL, so to speak.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

Paul
Harden
Westbrook
Curry
Lowry
Wall
Conley
Kyrie
Dame
Kemba
IT
Goran
Hill
Teague??? Eh
Schroeder?? Eh

13-15 range

I may be forgetting someone

He's nowhere near the top but Avery Bradley deserves mention in a list this deep I think.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If Rubio keeps shooting like he did down the stretch I'd rather have him than Teague, Hill or Schroeder.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/markanderson65/status/859470169302806528

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That's just sad

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I've never seen a player off that size and build look so out of place on a basketball court. Ive told this story before but I saw him play in person during the pan am games. He was matched up against a lot of semi-pros and guys playing poo poo leagues in latin america. The guy couldn't do poo poo. He was significantly taller and more athletic than everyone and he could not grab a rebound, he could not block a shot, and all he tried to do was take 18 footers that bricked. On defense he looked like he awoke from a generational slumber and was confused as to how his body operated

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:rip:

http://i.imgur.com/MtCBxgh.mp4

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Who is better at Basketball, Athony Bennett or Tony Bennett.

My money is on Tony

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

At one point in time I thought he would make Canada's national team for the 2020 Olympics. Now I wonder if he would be good enough to play in the CBL during the 2020 season.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If my team hires Joe Dumars...

I'll still go to games, but I will be moderately unhappy about the hire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

euphronius posted:

Paul
Harden
Westbrook
Curry
Lowry
Wall