Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Scorps posted:

Also I wasn't totally clear on something (Post P7 spoilers) When you are in the velvet room at the end, do the twins always become Lavenza or is that a result of having Strength maxed?
Always. I do wonder if there were multiple paths planned at some point, though? The game data contains a complete set of portraits of Justine and Caroline without their eye patches which as far as I know are never used anywhere in the final game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NRVNQSR posted:

Always. I do wonder if there were multiple paths planned at some point, though? The game data contains a complete set of portraits of Justine and Caroline without their eye patches which as far as I know are never used anywhere in the final game.

I'd wager the eyepatches were just added late in development to better foreshadow Lavenza.

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

haru eat the burgers

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Saint Freak posted:

A disgraceful lack of thicc girls

Hey, we'll always have Lala!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
None of us are good enough for Lala

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm starting to think I should've used Ann more in the endgame, especially for the final boss. I used Haru most of the time, but honestly being able to buy Physical/Magical Ointments sorta dulls the usefulness of her having Tetrakarn and Makarakarn, and Heat Riser isn't that great anyway. Haru's an awesome random battle sweeper with Triple Down but Ann's Concentrate -> Burning Hell is probably better for boss fights.

Maybe on NG+.

At least on the final boss, it really didn't matter what I did with the sword arm. My Yoshitsune had Repel Phys (and even if it didn't, he nulls physical innately) so there wasn't any danger with Hassou Tobi being reflected back at me. I just ignored the sword arm and had Ryuji and Joker keep hammering the main body, and Hassou Tobi took care of the other three arms no problem. I guess the boss would've gotten a couple fewer turns if I'd had Ann nuking the sword arm but :shrug:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished palace 6 and 7, the resulting twists probably would have been better if I didn't spoil myself by looking at literally anything to do with p5 on the internet like an idiot

still real good though, although jesus palace 7 was a fuckin slog

e: overall i'd say i liked p4 more, but that's only because that game was 90% bored small-town teens loving around and it made me way more attached to the characters, p5 is still an extremely good game however

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 1, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Man, that gauntlet right before the treasure in Palace 7. I must have paced myself perfectly because I had just enough resources left to squeak out a victory.

This is officially my favorite Persona game, btw

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Re: Hostage taking: It didn't happen to me at all on my entire first playthrough. In NG+, I decided to try deliberately provoking crits because I was curious and wanted to see it. It took about half an hour of hanging out with two Beriths in Palace 1, constantly spamming Revolution and doing any possible action other than guarding before it happened - they must've hit at least 15-20 Criticals on me.

I wanna say it's a dumb as hell feature that's basically never gonna come up, but the Trophy stats say that something like 45% of players have gotten into (and out of) a hostage situation, so what do I know.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It happened to me all of once, which makes the network rescue limit funny.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Instant Grat posted:

Re: Hostage taking: It didn't happen to me at all on my entire first playthrough. In NG+, I decided to try deliberately provoking crits because I was curious and wanted to see it. It took about half an hour of hanging out with two Beriths in Palace 1, constantly spamming Revolution and doing any possible action other than guarding before it happened - they must've hit at least 15-20 Criticals on me.

I wanna say it's a dumb as hell feature that's basically never gonna come up, but the Trophy stats say that something like 45% of players have gotten into (and out of) a hostage situation, so what do I know.

I have 140 hours on my main save and I had no idea it was a mechanic until someone else told me about it

People are bad at Persona

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

I'm starting to think I should've used Ann more in the endgame, especially for the final boss. I used Haru most of the time, but honestly being able to buy Physical/Magical Ointments sorta dulls the usefulness of her having Tetrakarn and Makarakarn, and Heat Riser isn't that great anyway. Haru's an awesome random battle sweeper with Triple Down but Ann's Concentrate -> Burning Hell is probably better for boss fights.

tbf the moon and star links mean you can just use whoever you want whenever

I chiefly use ryuji/ann/makoto but mona and haru have put a good deal of fight time in as well

e:

wizard on a water slide posted:

I have 140 hours on my main save and I had no idea it was a mechanic until someone else told me about it

People are bad at Persona

i've had it happen twice ever, both times from a red shadow critting Ann and nearly oneshotting her

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Never happened to me and I didn't even know it existed until just now.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Haru has good skills and her one-shot kill crits did some great things, but I swapped her for ann so I could have three high-rollers melt the whole endgame.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

This is officially my favorite Persona game, btw

Maybe it's just because I'm just off playing but I really can't imagine Persona 5 not being my favorite Persona game. Gameplay-wise it's a big step up, and as far as the cast and story goes, it basically hits a bunch of "things Harrow likes a lot" boxes. It stumbles a bit on the storytelling part towards the end especially that weird bit where Akechi and Shido monologue back and forth about how good they are at doing villain things just so that we get a bunch of exposition about stuff we're going to learn later anyway but I think it sticks the landing really well and that makes up for some of its fumbles.

Best collection of social links, too.

Motto posted:

Haru has good skills and her one-shot kill crits did some great things, but I swapped her for ann so I could have three high-rollers melt the whole endgame.

Yeah, Haru's awesome on minibosses thanks to that crit rate, but since bosses can't be crit One-Shot Kill loses some of its magic. I definitely should've been taking advantage of Star to switch people in and out much more often, though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

It might only activate in non-ambush fights, or maybe that's just confirmation bias since non-ambush fights are the only ones where the enemy will probably get a turn

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yinlock posted:

I chiefly use ryuji/ann/makoto but mona and haru have put a good deal of fight time in as well

Yeah, I think if I were to pick my favorite endgame boss-murdering team it'd be Ryuji/Ann/Makoto, with Haru swapping into Ann's place for random battle and miniboss destruction. I used Morgana a lot in the fourth and fifth Palaces and he also was really helpful in the seventh Palace boss because Makoto hadn't learned Mediarahan yet.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Apparently when enemies exploit your weakness or crit you, for their 1 more they have the option to take you hostage if you are low HP. They most of the time just choose to attack again though, can't seem to find out any specific trigger. I'm guessing I'll need to cheese that one on my NG+ in Palace 1 or something, or just savescum it if I go for plat. Also a tip I saw but not sure if is true is in the last dungeon the Abyssal King of Avarice has a higher chance to do it to you, cast Revolution to increase his chance to crit you. I left a save there I might test out later to see if it work faster than trying to get it in the beginning of the game. I think you are supposed to put it on "Safe" to do this so make a separate save just to get this trophy from the end

I used Makoto/Ryuji/and one of either Haru or Ann for the latter half, once Ann got confuse she started to be the pure nuker in my party for sure. I had Makoto as the healer most of the time, Ryuji doing his obvious thing and would swap out the last person with the Star confidant skill depending on what was needed. Sometimes later in dungeons if Makoto was low on SP Morgana would replace her.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 1, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

p5 would easily be my fav if i didn't spoil myself like a moron, the s-links are real good though. the only ones that kinda fell flat for me were lovers and tower

yes i actually liked Devil, if just for the jewel of the orient lala-chan

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I think if I were to pick my favorite endgame boss-murdering team it'd be Ryuji/Ann/Makoto, with Haru swapping into Ann's place for random battle and miniboss destruction. I used Morgana a lot in the fourth and fifth Palaces and he also was really helpful in the seventh Palace boss because Makoto hadn't learned Mediarahan yet.

once you get Futaba's SP skill it can be handy to regularly swap ann/makoto/haru/morgana to stretch out your sp, that 1% does add up

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
At the very least the SP Ex skill is SUPER nice just for restoring the SP of the members who it's pulling from when you autoheal. Seemed like by the last palaces I never went under 60%ish SP unless I was chain nuking with someone or buffing up during a boss fight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Even long after finishing the game I'm still a little surprised at how well it worked to just make the Shadows classic SMT demons this time instead of weird, more abstract enemies. It works out on so many levels.
  • It let them bring back demon negotiation, which owns even if it's a little but clumsier in Persona 5 than it has been in the past couple of SMT games.
  • It saved them from needing to make an entirely separate set of enemy models, when they could just use the ones they were going to have to make for the Personas anyway.
  • It actually makes more sense--if Shadows are supposed to emerge from the collective unconscious much like Personas do, why wouldn't they also take the form of prominent symbols, literary figures, and myths?
  • It means that enemies have a lot more personality and visual uniqueness than they did in Persona 3/4, where the more abstract Shadows (and frequent palette swaps) kinda dulled the enemy variety.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
OTOH now you can't shoot yourself in the head to summon Satan and make him destroy a dining table for you anymore

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Instant Grat posted:

OTOH now you can't shoot yourself in the head to summon Satan and make him destroy a dining table for you anymore

It means we don't fight the table, so that seems like a fair trade.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
Would appreciate bribed fuzz doc

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Harrow posted:

[*]It let them bring back demon negotiation, which owns even if it's a little but clumsier in Persona 5 than it has been in the past couple of SMT games.
[/list]

I thought it was pretty good because
a) demons cant just run off with all your poo poo anymore
b) you can just go "gently caress it" and kill them all if you think negotiations are going south

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

CharlestonJew posted:

I thought it was pretty good because
a) demons cant just run off with all your poo poo anymore
b) you can just go "gently caress it" and kill them all if you think negotiations are going south

It also tells you when negotiations are going south.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I think it was still good and I'm glad it's back. My issues are really just:

1. It got a bit formulaic. It's always going to be two exchanges (barring one of your party members covering for you if you gently caress up) with three options each time. I would've liked some Shadows to have more or less complex negotiation, though I'm glad they don't ask for items or want to take your HP/SP like they do in SMT.
2. This might be down to the translation, but sometimes it was hard to tell which option was the straightforward one, which was the sarcastic or funny one, and which was the stern one. That never really got in the way too badly, but it did lead to some "wait, these two have pretty similar tones, which is the one this Shadow wants to hear?" moments.

Definitely a welcome addition, though.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
I dropped 1.5 million yen last night to fuse everything in the Compendium, so now the only trophy I have left is the one for beating the in-game video games, and Power Institution is giving me hell. I know it's supposed to be like 'a fighting game' but it seems like the inputs barely stick. Should I be holding down the last one before mashing X or what?

I've been stuck on the first 'day' of this for a while and it's the last thing I need to beat before getting the Platinum.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Zhaan posted:

I dropped 1.5 million yen last night to fuse everything in the Compendium, so now the only trophy I have left is the one for beating the in-game video games, and Power Institution is giving me hell. I know it's supposed to be like 'a fighting game' but it seems like the inputs barely stick. Should I be holding down the last one before mashing X or what?

I've been stuck on the first 'day' of this for a while and it's the last thing I need to beat before getting the Platinum.

Use the video game book to give yourself more time. You kind of have to roll your finger over the dpad to do it then hit x. It's like a fighting game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zhaan posted:

Just save scum and eventually you will pick up how to do it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Harrow posted:

2. This might be down to the translation, but sometimes it was hard to tell which option was the straightforward one, which was the sarcastic or funny one, and which was the stern one. That never really got in the way too badly, but it did lead to some "wait, these two have pretty similar tones, which is the one this Shadow wants to hear?" moments.

Maybe it was just me, but the game telling you that the answers are supposed to be "serious" or "vague" was actually more misleading than helpful. You just want to match up with the shadow's personality, which means choosing the "irritable" or "gloomy" answer. Which, imo, was much more obvious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How quickly they forget poor Lisa

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

imweasel09 posted:

Use the video game book to give yourself more time. You kind of have to roll your finger over the dpad to do it then hit x. It's like a fighting game.

Yeah, I've had the book this whole time. It just seems like the rolling stops working on the last input each time. I'll keep trying, I guess.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Clarste posted:

Maybe it was just me, but the game telling you that the answers are supposed to be "serious" or "vague" was actually more misleading than helpful. You just want to match up with the shadow's personality, which means choosing the "irritable" or "gloomy" answer. Which, imo, was much more obvious.

you can also process of elimination some of the ones that are hard to figure out

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think that's true for any persona.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Harrow posted:

How quickly they forget poor Lisa

Also, that French dude in persona 3.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Everyone in P1 (except mark) :v:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Deltasquid posted:

Also, that French dude in persona 3.

That dude owned because you could tell him hasta la vista was japanese for goodbye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

I don't think that's true for any persona.
p4 doesnt have any actual caucasians but teddie looks white.

actually it's kind of weird that teddie grew a white dude's body when he was hanging out with nothing but japanese dudes and was made by a japanese deity