Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

carry on then posted:

I have a feeling the "premium feel" is tech journalism for "it doesn't have the best specs"

The screen isn't laminated to the front glass. That is a huge differentiator between tablets, and it certainly does look a lot cheaper to not have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Grassy Knowles posted:

The screen isn't laminated to the front glass. That is a huge differentiator between tablets, and it certainly does look a lot cheaper to not have that.

Surprised Apple hasn't started using AMOLED, my partner got herself a Galaxy S7 last Boxing Day and it just blows my 6S screen away.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ludicro posted:

Surprised Apple hasn't started using AMOLED, my partner got herself a Galaxy S7 last Boxing Day and it just blows my 6S screen away.
Watches do and this year's iPhone almost certainly will.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ludicro posted:

Apple's kind of anal about RBG color reproduction. I'm sure AMOLED has improved a lot, but it's not historically been know for its realistic colors.

If it's better now (honestly have no idea except everyone talks about Galaxy's over saturation) then it'll be a nice upgrade.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

At least as of a couple versions ago, Samsung included color presets you could choose from. They all defaulted to the ultra-saturated colors, though, and no one actually switched them to the more accurate settings.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

At least as of a couple versions ago, Samsung included color presets you could choose from. They all defaulted to the ultra-saturated colors, though, and no one actually switched them to the more accurate settings.

Art director at my company kept trying to cancel the android version of the game because of that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hughlander posted:

Art director at my company kept trying to cancel the android version of the game because of that.

lolling at releasing a game on Android

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lolling at releasing a game on Android

Developing paid Android apps is tax deductible as a charitable donation

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey, sometimes Apple users switch to Android and buy apps before they realize their mistake and switch back.

I'm willing to wager those users make a not insignificant portion of app sales.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The only games people play are F2P, so game sales are irrelevant.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
My work gives me $300 to spend on technology that I want. I'm probably going to put it towards a big PRO. 2 years ago I bought a Mini2 with the same money for that year. Quite the step up!

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Best Apple device. Future computer.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Say a new iPad Pro gets announced at the WWDC thingy in June, is it expected that prices on the current devices would drop? Or is that a pipedream?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

DJ Dizzy posted:

Say a new iPad Pro gets announced at the WWDC thingy in June, is it expected that prices on the current devices would drop? Or is that a pipedream?

Used prices on eBay will probably go down. The current ones will probably not be sold in stores alongside new ones.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Apple is pretty good at getting rid of stock prior to the new models coming out. The real savings are any refurbs of the old models.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Is the announcement date the same time as the release date?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is the announcement date the same time as the release date?
Probably not. The Pro was announced 2 months before it became available. Apple's "available ... today" has pretty much gone to history's dustbin.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I wonder if this time they will make a Smart Cover with a backlit keyboard...I would be all over that. Even my desktop has lit keys and I am just not used to dark caveman keys anymore.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Probably not. The Pro was announced 2 months before it became available. Apple's "available ... today" has pretty much gone to history's dustbin.

Except when it comes to U2 albums!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

rio posted:

I wonder if this time they will make a Smart Cover with a backlit keyboard...I would be all over that. Even my desktop has lit keys and I am just not used to dark caveman keys anymore.

As someone still using an IBM model M, eh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I'd guess that it will depend how big an update it is. If the form factor stays the same (and the few rumors I've seen are suggesting otherwise), I could see it available after the announcement. Even if that's not the case, I'd bet it'll be a matter of weeks rather than months.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007
While it's pretty clear at this point that most people recommend waiting for new iPad Pro to be announced, Best Buy is having a $100 dollar sale for the 9.7 model for Mother's Day. Super tempted myself as my screen on my Air 2 just cracked. June announcement also has no gaurentee that they'll update although it is over due.

Link:
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/08/best-buy-mothers-day-discounts/

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The 9.7 had some new features over the 12 inch. I suspect the biggest upgrade will be to the biggest iPad and the addition of a new mid-sized model.

But I kind of doubt the 9.7 inch will see too many improvements. Probably a new processor and Force Touch. And Heaven help us a new and improved Pencil.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Does anybody know how often apple updates their refurbished stock online?

I was going to buy one, put it in my cart, got sidetracked, went to buy it the next morning and it was out of stock.

Is it daily? Or just a when we have it, we post it?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Krime posted:

Does anybody know how often apple updates their refurbished stock online?

I was going to buy one, put it in my cart, got sidetracked, went to buy it the next morning and it was out of stock.

Is it daily? Or just a when we have it, we post it?

That happened to me a couple weeks ago. Saw an iPad, it was gone the next day. The next day they had a ton more in. I guess it's daily.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's daily but not all models are refreshed daily.

When I was looking for a refurbished Pro with either 128GB or 256GB, a couple of weeks went by without any updated stock. Then it seemed to update daily.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
So my iPad Air 2 took a tumble last night and the screen broke. One of those cracks that makes it look like a highschool students attempt at stained glass. I can still turn it on and kinda navigate it on the screen using a stylus, enough to disable the screen lock. I can replace the random browsing and netflix viewing that I used it for with another machine, but the one thing I cannot replace is Facetime which I need for a side job (mostly a windows/linux household).

So I am curious if I can get by with an HDMI dongle and a Bluetooth Keyboard? I mean until I need the iPad as a portable. I can build a mount to hold the ipad sideways behind a monitor with the facetime camera sticking out, but if I cannot navigate iOS and facetime on a keyboard I may be SOL.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

fastbilly1 posted:

So my iPad Air 2 took a tumble last night and the screen broke. One of those cracks that makes it look like a highschool students attempt at stained glass. I can still turn it on and kinda navigate it on the screen using a stylus, enough to disable the screen lock. I can replace the random browsing and netflix viewing that I used it for with another machine, but the one thing I cannot replace is Facetime which I need for a side job (mostly a windows/linux household).

So I am curious if I can get by with an HDMI dongle and a Bluetooth Keyboard? I mean until I need the iPad as a portable. I can build a mount to hold the ipad sideways behind a monitor with the facetime camera sticking out, but if I cannot navigate iOS and facetime on a keyboard I may be SOL.

Somewhere in Cupertino, CA an ornate urn with the initials S.J. just trembled.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Take it to an Apple store and they can replace the screen for a flat fee. The iPad appears to be critical for a job so you should just fix it and not do some half assed solution.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Jose Oquendo posted:

Take it to an Apple store and they can replace the screen for a flat fee. The iPad appears to be critical for a job so you should just fix it and not do some half assed solution.
Apple Store wants $300 to fix it, but I only spent $200 on the iPad to begin with. I will just have to make another trip to the Unclaimed Baggage store and buy another one. It still boots up and with the keyboard I can get it to open Facetime, but Facetime does not allow for keyboard controls so I cannot answer. For those curious, control+space opens find, from there you can open most programs. Sadly there is not enough of a screen left where I can answer the phone.

The job only requires Facetime since the CEO is a big Mac fan. I am only a freelancer with them so the iPad is only for the biweekly video chat. I am going to borrow an old ipad from a friend until I can get the replacement.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Somewhere in Cupertino, CA an ornate urn with the initials S.J. just trembled.
It trembled worse when I had to trash a Lisa for parts to fix one. But I have saved a dozen Apple][s from landfills so we should be all good.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Yeah at $300 to fix it you're better off just buying a new ipad 5.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Would an iPad mini 2 be a good iPad 2 replacement for a mom who uses it exclusively for video calls, candy crush saga and occasional light web browsing

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The screen is very noticeably smaller.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Old people have lovely eyesight.

I speak this as a not yet old person who still finds the Mini's screen too small. She'd be happier with the new iPad.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ipad mini 2 is cheaper tho

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You get what you pay for

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Buying a 3.5 year old smaller iPad that probably won't see any more updates in order to save $60 seems unwise to me.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Buying a 3.5 year old smaller iPad that probably won't see any more updates in order to save $60 seems unwise to me.

They never said what it would cost them, or whether their mom was old or had poor eyesight lol

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 12, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So? His mom's condition has nothing to do with what I typed, and using retail prices is a reasonable thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Basically nobody loving knows what your mom and your wallet want, figure it out yourself.

As non-mom, I'm suprised that the iPad 3 is still suiting my needs. It's not agonizingly slow, and still runs all of the apps that I use on a regular basis.