Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
This feels dirty but I agree with Fulchrum. Brother Entropy, you need to stop drinking from the Bernie-bro kool-aid. Hillary made mistakes but she wasn't some cackling anti-labor witch. I know you want to think that to justify to your "Bernie would have won" fantasies but it is time to let it go. I too would love it if the Dems were leftists but they aren't. We got milquetoast centrists who we can at least influence versus crazy right-wingers that'll adopt any group including religious fundamentalists and literal Nazis if it helps them win elections.

Edit:

Edit2: milquetoast

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Hillary made mistakes but she wasn't some cackling anti-labor witch.

It's not about whether or not she was, it's about whether or not she could manage the perception that she was. She was terrible at this; Bernie would have won.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Naw, Fulchrum is right. Dems lost 1000 seats and <50k year earners dropped the party because Leftis purity nonsense. Criticizing Obama is wrong because something something first black president deserves to be a corporate capitalist neocon like everyone else I guess.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SwitchbladeKult posted:

This feels dirty but I agree with Fulchrum. Brother Entropy, you need to stop drinking from the Bernie-bro kool-aid. Hillary made mistakes but she wasn't some cackling anti-labor witch. I know you want to think that to justify to your "Bernie would have won" fantasies but it is time to let it go. I too would love it if the Dems were leftists but they aren't. We got milk toast centrists who we can at least influence versus crazy right-wingers that'll adopt any group including religious fundamentalists and literal Nazis if it helps them win elections.

I'm not sure how any of this really relates to the current discussion. We can influence the Democratic Party, yes, and we should, by exerting leftward pressure on them. Criticizing Obama for taking $400,000 in speech payments from Wall Street is a way to do that. Pretending we don't notice whenever our principles are violated is a pretty great way to make sure we continue to get ignored forever.

I don't think Brother Entropy was trying to say "therefore we should never vote for a Democrat again" but I don't wanna presume.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
There should be a "should Obama get paid" megathread.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I too would love it if the Dems were leftists but they aren't. We got milk toast centrists who we can at least influence versus crazy right-wingers that'll adopt any group including religious fundamentalists and literal Nazis if it helps them win elections.

Milquetoast centrists are why the crazy rightwingers are winning. Accepting permanent cuck status for the Left doesn't help liberalism win, it just guarantees future Trumps.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SwitchbladeKult posted:

This feels dirty but I agree with Fulchrum. Brother Entropy, you need to stop drinking from the Bernie-bro kool-aid. Hillary made mistakes but she wasn't some cackling anti-labor witch. I know you want to think that to justify to your "Bernie would have won" fantasies but it is time to let it go. I too would love it if the Dems were leftists but they aren't. We got milk toast centrists who we can at least influence versus crazy right-wingers that'll adopt any group including religious fundamentalists and literal Nazis if it helps them win elections.

you can support what i think is important or you can win elections but if you can't do either it's hard to continue having any faith in you

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

permanent cuck status

Ha ha what?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

The only thing that guarantees future Trumps is how fast the Left is to adopt the Right's propaganda to undermine centrists. Sorry Obama wasn't "pure" enough.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SwitchbladeKult posted:

We got milk toast centrists

milquetoast

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As penance for my part in the current threadwide meltdown, I'll post a cartoon.

There's yet another long-form cartoon up on the Nib, this time a piece on the minimum wage and unified basic income by Sam Wallman.

It's even more long-form and unpostable in its entirety than most of these things are, so as usual here's a little taste of some good panels.

(these next two are supposed to be read as one image)

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
Lubchansky made a comic about goons

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SwitchbladeKult posted:

The only thing that guarantees future Trumps is how fast the Left is to adopt the Right's propaganda to undermine centrists. Sorry Obama wasn't "pure" enough.

this isn't what happened, though

what happened is that the left got mad about something, then the right heard about it and pretended to care so they could use it to concern-troll

They do this constantly, it's not really a surprise

e:

nerd plus rage posted:

Lubchansky made a comic about goons

Matt Lubchansky is my spirit animal

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Mantis42 posted:

permanent cuck status

:whitewater:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its a useful and good insult to describe someone who cravenly goes against his best interests and lets others dominate and emasculate him. The ancients used it, Shakespeare used it, Marx used it and its a popular insult today. Don't turn your nose up at crude language unless you want to forever lose the war of rhetoric.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Don't apologize to me, apologize to the Rust Belt voters who stayed home because no one spoke to them. Or to the millions of other Americans in all the other districts where the Dems have hemmoraged seats. Guess they're just loser Berniebros with purity tests, right?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Don't apologize to me, apologize to the Rust Belt voters who stayed home because no one spoke to them. Or to the millions of other Americans in all the other districts where the Dems have hemmoraged seats. Guess they're just loser Berniebros with purity tests, right?

It is a lot easier to stay home when you got people on the Left and the Right telling you how much of an evil ambitious heartless bitch Hillary is.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Streak posted:

It's not about whether or not she was, it's about whether or not she could manage the perception that she was.

In other words, whether or not leftists would stop screaming it nonstop to this loving day, no matter how many times they're corrected.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mantis42 posted:

Its a useful and good insult to describe someone who cravenly goes against his best interests and lets others dominate and emasculate him. The ancients used it, Shakespeare used it, Marx used it and its a popular insult today. Don't turn your nose up at crude language unless you want to forever lose the war of rhetoric.

In the modern context, it is associated very closely with a specific brand of far-right politics. It's like if we were to start calling Republicans "degenerates," sure, that could be an accurate description, but it's also associated with nazis and thus best avoided.

Besides those practical reasons not to use it, it's racially charged and sexist.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

What if I don't want to fight the war of rhetoric?

It's cool, man. Cuck it up, it's a good dogwhistle so I know what your deal is.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Here, have a cartoon, in which Bob Gorrell somehow uses his proclivity for laziness to construct an amusing metaphor!

e: Sorry if it was posted before. It's Gorrell's most recent cartoon, but it's from April 11. Workin hard, eh Bob.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Xander77 posted:

Profiles:

Payne: http://imgur.com/a/C2ysj
Garrison: http://imgur.com/a/ZdFwM
Tinsley: http://imgur.com/a/hFGWV
Gorrell: http://imgur.com/a/rnrPT
Ramirez: http://imgur.com/a/QrEjj
Rall: http://imgur.com/a/xDjKV

Anything I should add to any of these? Commentary, essential cartoons, parodies?

MaLLarDFiLLMOre.....jpg

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

21 Muns posted:

Coal jobs will disappear, dude. It's an obsolete industry. I don't think Hillary was particularly "gleeful" when she said that, but if she was, it was because coal mining is a lovely, dangerous job that directly increases the likelihood that life on Earth dies out in the next millennium. Saying that coal jobs will disappear doesn't make you cruel, it makes you smart and optimistic. To put it another way - you're trying to make this out as Hillary's "let them eat cake" moment. But wouldn't it have been much worse if she'd said "let them mine coal"?

The problem with coal, as far as talking about it goes, is that it has become a massive sacred cow.
People have done a very good job of making us forget that back before unions and workers rights, working a coal mine was basically the early 1900's equivalent of working at McDonalds: It was a lovely bitch job that you took because you weren't able to get a "real" job, but still liked the idea of eating food.

Decades were spent fighting long and hard to shift that perception into "Working in coal is the purest and most american job in the history of america, and if you disagree, you want Blue Collar workers lined up and shot."
If you're even the least bit remotely involved in a career that is related to coal, you better love it and thank white christian god for every day that you exist in a workforce privileged enough to handle the sacred stone.
Of course, that also means that anything short of outright praise, or even hinting that coal is on its way out is seen as a blatant attack on you and your family and the american way of life.

There are a dozen different ways she could have phrased that speech differently, but, as it stands, she could have pulled out a magic wand and instantly stocked every single US coal mine back to the top with actually clean burning coal, reinvigorating the industry for the next 2000 years, and she STILL would have been given hell for suggesting coal jobs might no longer exist at some point in the future.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

this isn't what happened, though

what happened is that the left got mad about something, then the right heard about it and pretended to care so they could use it to concern-troll

They do this constantly, it's not really a surprise

No, the right decided to go "b-b-but Obama!" to distract from their own insane corruption, and the left fell for it and are now defending it as a sacrosanct ideal that only hateful neoliberals would tell them to stop screaming about.

You do this constantly, it's not really a surprise.

Mantis42 posted:

Milquetoast centrists are why the crazy rightwingers are winning. Accepting permanent cuck status for the Left doesn't help liberalism win, it just guarantees future Trumps.

And when you imagine yet another reason why the dems are milquetoast centrists, then screaming about it nonstop and handing Trump yet another victory will only serve to make us stronger.

And, you know, everything else about why your racist nonsense is horseshit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Where does that guy come from becuase

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

the_steve posted:

The problem with coal, as far as talking about it goes, is that it has become a massive sacred cow.
People have done a very good job of making us forget that back before unions and workers rights, working a coal mine was basically the early 1900's equivalent of working at McDonalds: It was a lovely bitch job that you took because you weren't able to get a "real" job, but still liked the idea of eating food.

Decades were spent fighting long and hard to shift that perception into "Working in coal is the purest and most american job in the history of america, and if you disagree, you want Blue Collar workers lined up and shot."
If you're even the least bit remotely involved in a career that is related to coal, you better love it and thank white christian god for every day that you exist in a workforce privileged enough to handle the sacred stone.
Of course, that also means that anything short of outright praise, or even hinting that coal is on its way out is seen as a blatant attack on you and your family and the american way of life.

There are a dozen different ways she could have phrased that speech differently, but, as it stands, she could have pulled out a magic wand and instantly stocked every single US coal mine back to the top with actually clean burning coal, reinvigorating the industry for the next 2000 years, and she STILL would have been given hell for suggesting coal jobs might no longer exist at some point in the future.

And "coal jobs" are ONLY good because of tireless Leftist activity...only to have people turn around and scream about how Leftists are trying to smash "coal jobs". I wish people had a memory longer than a month.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Electric Phantasm posted:

Where does that guy come from becuase

Powerup Comics. It's a parody of lovely "two gamers on a couch" style webcomics, with occasional forays into politics.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Xander77 posted:

Profiles:

Payne: http://imgur.com/a/C2ysj
Garrison: http://imgur.com/a/ZdFwM
Tinsley: http://imgur.com/a/hFGWV
Gorrell: http://imgur.com/a/rnrPT
Ramirez: http://imgur.com/a/QrEjj
Rall: http://imgur.com/a/xDjKV

Anything I should add to any of these? Commentary, essential cartoons, parodies?

Have these been added to the OP yet?

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

the_steve posted:

:patriot: :911: :patriot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Hello there!
Mr. Dees here.

I met the brilliant Dr. Elizabeth Huntley, a renowned expert in nutrition and a scientific researcher of the body’s endocrine system, back in the early 90s when she headed the busy Huntley Research
Institute in Los Angeles. At the time I had a seriously compromised immune system, ruined after years of inhaling a toxic cadmium airbrush paint dust, and believe me, it was a terrible when I realized I had totally lost my health.

With glowing appreciation I credit Dr. Huntley with my survival through a situation when it appeared I would have an early demise. Yes, I am saying that no doubt Dr. Huntley’s health program did save my life.

So when Dr. Huntley told me she had written her first book, Dr. Huntley’s Recipe for Optimum Health, with all her tips and guidelines for ‘A Nutritional Approach to Overall Wellness and Detoxification of The Body’, and I knew that I would design the cover art for her.

I have read this wonderful health book and highly recommend having this information. So let’s all show her some love, and your body a favor, by grabbing this book off of Amazon, you will be glad you did!

https://www.amazon.com/Huntleys-Rec...izabeth+huntley

-David Dees

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Hello there!
Mr. Dees here.

I met the brilliant Dr. Elizabeth Huntley, a renowned expert in nutrition and a scientific researcher of the body’s endocrine system, back in the early 90s when she headed the busy Huntley Research
Institute in Los Angeles. At the time I had a seriously compromised immune system, ruined after years of inhaling a toxic cadmium airbrush paint dust, and believe me, it was a terrible when I realized I had totally lost my health.

With glowing appreciation I credit Dr. Huntley with my survival through a situation when it appeared I would have an early demise. Yes, I am saying that no doubt Dr. Huntley’s health program did save my life.

So when Dr. Huntley told me she had written her first book, Dr. Huntley’s Recipe for Optimum Health, with all her tips and guidelines for ‘A Nutritional Approach to Overall Wellness and Detoxification of The Body’, and I knew that I would design the cover art for her.

I have read this wonderful health book and highly recommend having this information. So let’s all show her some love, and your body a favor, by grabbing this book off of Amazon, you will be glad you did!

https://www.amazon.com/Huntleys-Rec...izabeth+huntley

-David Dees

Elizather Huntley is a highly talented medical intuitive. In addition to her natural-born diagnostic skills,

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

No, the right decided to go "b-b-but Obama!" to distract from their own insane corruption, and the left fell for it and are now defending it as a sacrosanct ideal that only hateful neoliberals would tell them to stop screaming about.

You do this constantly, it's not really a surprise.

And when you imagine yet another reason why the dems are milquetoast centrists, then screaming about it nonstop and handing Trump yet another victory will only serve to make us stronger.

Don't worry, I'm a Good Democrat. I vote in every election, give money to, and volunteer for, the local party. Sorry if I'm tired of a political apparatus that flat out ignores what I want and blames me when they consistently lose.

quote:

And, you know, everything else about why your racist nonsense is horseshit.

:jerkbag:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Can we stop the endless primary relitigating for a minute to appreciate the new thread title? Please? :allears:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mantis42 posted:

Don't worry, I'm a Good Democrat. I vote in every election, give money to, and volunteer for, the local party. Sorry if I'm tired of a political apparatus that flat out ignores what I want and blames me when they consistently lose.

:jerkbag:

As i said, point to actual policy and not scandal bullshit

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Can we stop the endless primary relitigating for a minute to appreciate the new thread title? Please? :allears:

Took almost half a year to get it so enjoy it

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

I'm pretty sure they called people cuckolds, not cucks, that's the internet dork take on the oldest insult in the book.

Also why did they leave out the horns? YOU GOTTA GIVE THE CUCKOLDS THE HORNS

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

And what, pray tell, has Trump done that deserves to be portrayed in a positive light?

If anything the press is too soft on him.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Also because it 's so hip again to call each other cuckolds, the first appearance of the word in English is 13th century (ancient greeks had their own insults), and the root word is cuckoo, since they were the most well-known brood parasites (cuckoos cuckolded other birds by making them raise their eggs so that`s why we mock each other).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Debt

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Trevor Noah is a weak attempt to keep the Daily Show going after Jon Stewart left, and Democrats defending Obama giving $400,000 Wall Street speeches demonstrate that they've learned nothing from the 2016 election. Bernie would have won, hail Satan.

It's not about supporting Obama, it's about the flagrant hypocrisy of being ok with, well, everything Trump has done in his life, but acting like Obama making money despite being ostensibly against oligarchy is somehow monstrous and dishonest. It's basically "And yet you yourself take part in society!" but targeted at the first black president.

Fulchrum posted:

It's bizarre how willing the left is to buy in 100% to "them foreigners took our jerbs!" as an excuse, while completely ignoring automation.

It's very hard for some people, especially those who grew up reading utopian sci-fi, to accept that technology will not free us, and that society must change first. We could completely end scarcity and people would still starve, but no one wants to hear that.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 2, 2017

• Locked thread