Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Oh by the way, speaking of the terrible nexus between anime girls and nerds spending too much money on dogshit, check out this little gem:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dharkerstudio/harem-wars-card-game

:nws: Obviously, check out the £500(!) tier for a special treat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Unsurprisingly it's already reached it's funding goal.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Leperflesh posted:

oh

But not just "favorite" right? It's the one you want to imagine marrying?

now I have involuntarily gained another small insight into anime watching culture, and am worsened for it
Waifu shrines are built, 40k legions are assembled. There's a bunch of anime meme culture surrounding depression and suicide if you want more insight.

FrostyPox posted:

Hey guys, when I woke up this morning I found a report on my desk, and it said "Games Workshop is bad".

Just thought you all would be interested in the latest news and updates.
Interesting. Does that report include a rant from the head of the entity that produced it? That and spreadsheets are the parts of reports that make me hard.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

if you want more insight

I do not, thank you.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Oh by the way, speaking of the terrible nexus between anime girls and nerds spending too much money on dogshit, check out this little gem:

mods please change my name to Busty Commuting or Angst Bathing, thanks in advance

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

FrostyPox posted:

Hey guys, when I woke up this morning I found a report on my desk, and it said "Games Workshop is bad".

Just thought you all would be interested in the latest news and updates.

Whoa, time to fire those underlings for giving the Boss outdated information. GW is good and cool now, friend.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Drone posted:

I won't lie though, watching DoW3 streams (regardless of whether or not it's a good game) has gotten me into a 40k mood again, something I didn't really think was possible. Is there a tl;dr on what stupid poo poo GW has put out fluff-wise during their whole push to move the 40k plot clock a minute closer to midnight? I know something about Gullyman coming back (somehow?) and there are apparently gonna be Bigmarines, but that's about it.

cadia and biel tan got blown the gently caress up, and some necron dude brought back robot girlman. pretty sure thats it

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So I know it's old news, but I've never read Dune and I just started and I'm 30 pages in and already I'm remembering Alan Bligh or whoever saying "Everything we come up with comes from our writer's imaginations, we don't really draw inspiration from anything" in court and I'm dying of laughter

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Congratulations you are reading one of if not the best science fiction novels ever written.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I read the entirety of The Maxx recently (like I just finished the last book 10 minutes ago). It was possibly the weirdest thing I've read.

Well that's my story, bye everyone.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dune is good but you should also read _A Canticle for Leibowitz_. As much as I liked Dune, the latter is my favorite SF book of all time. And it's pretty much 40k, which looking at your post history shows you should be into.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

. There's a bunch of anime meme culture surrounding depression and suicide if you want more insight.

Yes please. This sounds interesting

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

There's a bunch of anime meme culture surrounding depression and suicide if you want more insight.

What's the origin of this? Is it related to higher suicide rates in Japan or...?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Dune is good but you should also read _A Canticle for Leibowitz_.

A good book. Everyone should also read the Abhorsen books by Garth Nix. Also pretty much anything by Tanith Lee or Jack Vance.

Maybe next I should actually finish the Mars trilogy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheChirurgeon posted:

What's the origin of this? Is it related to higher suicide rates in Japan or...?

Nah. It's pretty much GBS but with more anime pictures. I think a lot of people hate themselves and want others to hate themselves so they post a lot about it. I like the more positive ones and really only follow those.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Being mentally healthy is a cool thing to do or so I hear.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Avenging Dentist posted:

Being mentally healthy is a cool thing to do or so I hear.

:agreed:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Speaking of facebook, this keeps popping up because I still haven't bought my ever-larger-growing cart of stickers from redbubble:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I've always wondered if good things are covered up by bad art. Like what if that anime game is deep and fun (winning conditions being determined by random card draw makes me think no), and we'll never know.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ilmucche posted:

I've always wondered if good things are covered up by bad art. Like what if that anime game is deep and fun (winning conditions being determined by random card draw makes me think no), and we'll never know.

The only game I know of that has offensively bad art is Sentinels of the Multiverse, and that game is just terrible. Looks like a middle schooler's binder. Now a lot of people get turned off by Tragedy Looper and Argent specifically because of the anime art style, but those aregreat games that just happens to have anime art. I love them and I think Argent is the best worker placement game because of how pugnacious it is, compared to a lot of other ones where it's just a race to see whose engine works better.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Leperflesh posted:

Congratulations you are reading one of if not the best science fiction novels ever written.
Perhaps. But DO NOT be tempted to read any of the sequels. They are pretty universally trash.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
I think it was in one of the old incarnations of this thread, someone suggested Bling Sight by Peter Watts. Can we get some sort of book list going on? I've got Tales from the Dying Earth to read over the next week or so, but I'm going on tour with my band and driving across Canada sucks so I'm looking for recommendations.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Drone posted:

I think this is more a feature of anime groups in general. At my university, the anime club apparently had to rotate its meeting place among the various residence halls because no one hall would tolerate them for very long (because of the smell). Unfortunately my hall leadership decided they'd be the ones who ultimately welcomed them, and declared that the anime club could meet on my floor, in the floor kitchen (which was right across from my doorway).

The smells that came out of there were... strong, and would take a few days to air out. When they met we even took to rolling up a towel and jamming it into the crack of our door to try to keep the smell out.

lol

Question: has there been a ca 28mm scale skirmish game that used area movement? I have been thinking a bit lately about ways of converting a standard board into areas after terrain placement.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging Dentist posted:

I read the entirety of The Maxx recently (like I just finished the last book 10 minutes ago). It was possibly the weirdest thing I've read.

Well that's my story, bye everyone.

The Maxx is crazy. I really like a lot of those epic comics (that actually have a beginning and an ending). Bone is great, SCUD the disposable assassin is great, y the last man is great. Watchmen is pretty awesome.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

COLLEGE SCHOOL DESK

yeah sure, 'college school'...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The death thread has returned

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
bring back boom3

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wanted to make a crack about Bling Sight but I can't. It's a great name

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'd buy into that kickstarter if it was gundams

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Xarbala posted:

I wanted to make a crack about Bling Sight but I can't. It's a great name

Mods change my name to Bling Sight tia

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

LordAba posted:

The Maxx is crazy. I really like a lot of those epic comics (that actually have a beginning and an ending). Bone is great, SCUD the disposable assassin is great, y the last man is great. Watchmen is pretty awesome.

MY GIRLFRIEND actually got me the Watchmen comic. I should read it soon.

The Maxx is one of the very few things where I kept thinking "there's no way things could get weirder" and yet they still did. I'm still not sure if I like the end but part of that's because so much stuff has changed compared to the beginning.

e: Also, the TV series is one of the best things MTV ever did.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 2, 2017

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

One of the better self-contained single-book comics of recent years is Farel Dalrymple's The Wrenchies.

If you liked the Maxx I feel you might enjoy it - it has some thematic resonance in terms of trauma and especially guilt and its manifestations.

Would also work excellently as inspiration for a 40K RPG campaign on a world being lost to the warp.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Avenging Dentist posted:

e: Also, the TV series is one of the best things MTV ever did.
True, but only if you grant that the best was Aeon Flux.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Aeon Flux is tied for first with The Maxx. They're different enough that I can't really compare them directly. (Beavis and Butthead is third and Daria fourth or something.)

I will probably never stop laughing at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5eTu6JQ84s

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Celebrity Deathmatch?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I forgot all about that and I'm hesitant to put it in the top 10 since it's entirely possible I was just an idiot kid at the time. I absolutely was.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

anti_strunt posted:

lol

Question: has there been a ca 28mm scale skirmish game that used area movement? I have been thinking a bit lately about ways of converting a standard board into areas after terrain placement.

what do you mean area movement? like squares or hexes? if so you might check out dust tactics

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
No idea about their exact scale butthe Conan boardgame and Mythic Battles both use area movement and are pretty cool from the demo games i played. I can ask a friend about the scale if youre interested.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
they are both modern "28mm" ie actually way larger but you get the idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I hesitated to mention the conan boardgame. It's area movement skirmish, but it uses boards, not terrain on a tabletop. I mean, you could make terrain on a tabletop and define some areas and make your own scenario and play it I guess, but that's putting a lot of work on you.

It's also skirmishing on quite a small scale; each player plays usually just or maybe two dudes, and then there's a GM type player who plays all the enemies.

• Locked thread