Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Discord is for free (unless you want some stupid flair on the paid version)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Slack is very useful but I would find it more trustworthy if I could actually afford the pay option. I could do a flat fee, but $5/users isn't going to work for me, especially since it rules out the possibility of people dropping in to watch or join the chat for general chattiness.

What makes the free version untrustworthy?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

01011001 posted:

What makes the free version untrustworthy?

It's not really untrustworthy in the malware sense, more "if you aren't paying for it; that makes you the product" and the fact that I have no reason to believe the service will still be available in 1, 2, or 5 years given that it isn't making money off of me.

Dec 26, 2012

In this case it's more that if you aren't paying for it you're not getting things businesses might want (like SSO). For the purpose we're talking about the free stuff will totally work well, and if it craps out in a year then who cares?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Note that if you're not paying for Slack then it definitely isn't ideal if you care at all about keeping records of old games. The free version only keeps the last 10k messages per group IIRC, and anything older gets lost.

There may be a way to pull old messages out through an app integration or something, but that's the default behavior anyway.

It still works really well as a full featured chat client though. And with bots and app integrations there's a lot you can do with it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Any limit on lines saved in Discord?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

Any limit on lines saved in Discord?

lol no. Discord doesn't really care about that poo poo.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Any kind of limit on things like that is arbitrary anyway, space for text messages is effectively unlimited unless the formatting is stupid.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ImpactVector posted:

Note that if you're not paying for Slack then it definitely isn't ideal if you care at all about keeping records of old games. The free version only keeps the last 10k messages per group IIRC, and anything older gets lost.

You can still export it, which is what I do to keep the logs of Doom and Gloam, but it's annnnoooooying

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Has Slack solved their atrocious performance issues?

yes it's a goddamn messenger service that was/is notorious for -performance issues-.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/859117370455060481

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Radical Sandwich Anarchy is a pretty pro username.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A Cream Cheese Calzone is a sandwich

Serf
May 5, 2011

if you're not radical sandwich anarchy at this point i don't know what to tell you

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

bullshit a burrito is not a sandwich I will die on this goddamn hill

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

yes it's a goddamn messenger service that was/is notorious for -performance issues-.

Can't say I've ever noticed any, or in fact heard of any!

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

It works fine on my lovely-rear end years old phone so probably yes. The lack of permanent archiving in the free option sucks a bit if your game is going to last ages. I'd be tempted to switch to Discord if it's just Slack with permanent archiving but one of my friends is convinced that the people who run Discord must be selling personal data to ad companies because otherwise their business model makes no sense and refuses to use it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Reene posted:

Indeed, if you were order a sandwich and get a burrito most people would be, at the least, justifiably confused. Dissatisfaction could result, food could be refunded. We must maintain some order, lest false menus draw us into disaster.

Dec 26, 2012

Doodmons posted:

It works fine on my lovely-rear end years old phone so probably yes. The lack of permanent archiving in the free option sucks a bit if your game is going to last ages. I'd be tempted to switch to Discord if it's just Slack with permanent archiving but one of my friends is convinced that the people who run Discord must be selling personal data to ad companies because otherwise their business model makes no sense and refuses to use it.

Sometimes companies just have models that don't make sense. But yeah Discord and Slack are very similar.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I have a hankering for running a bit of a sandbox game so this is an interest check.

Anyone interested in playing a Mutant Year Zero or Vampire the Masquerade (20th Anniversary core book) sandbox game via discord?

The VtM game would be physically based in GTA 5 and have some old World of Darkness adversaries.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Reene posted:

Agreed, there's only one piece of bread in a burrito.

There's an exception for "open-faced sandwiches" but burritos aren't open-faced either, so they fall outside the exception.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I have a hankering for running a bit of a sandbox game so this is an interest check.

Anyone interested in playing a Mutant Year Zero or Vampire the Masquerade (20th Anniversary core book) sandbox game via discord?

The VtM game would be physically based in GTA 5 and have some old World of Darkness adversaries.

When people say "by discord" do they mean asynchronous like PbP? I've never been 100% clear on that.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Agreed, there's only one piece of bread in a burrito.

There's an exception for "open-faced sandwiches" but burritos aren't open-faced either, so they fall outside the exception.

throwing food on bread doesn't make it a sandwich. an "open faced sandwich" is bullshit marketing. the real exception is the hoagie there

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

When people say "by discord" do they mean asynchronous like PbP? I've never been 100% clear on that.

That's what I mean yes.

I'll make a channel and post setting/plot details. Characters post their actions. If a player splits from the main group (or is slow in posting) that can be handled in the same discord channel.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That's what I mean yes.

I'll make a channel and post setting/plot details. Characters post their actions. If a player splits from the main group (or is slow in posting) that can be handled in the same discord channel.

It works (for me)

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

I see your sandwich and I raise you tasty burgers.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

slap me and kiss me posted:

I see your sandwich and I raise you tasty burgers.

Why the gently caress are law & chaos flipped has this person never seen an alignment chart before aaaaaa

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

Why the gently caress are law & chaos flipped has this person never seen an alignment chart before aaaaaa

:same:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
A sandwich is a base, a dressing, and toppings. A spring roll is a type of sandwich. These are the things you learn at a top 10 culinary institute. :henget:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/anildasharez0ne/status/859093784356835330

https://twitter.com/drilmagic/status/858164224358526976

https://twitter.com/drilmagic/status/859256139233492992

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I love the facial expression of the Diabolic Tutor guy. He's like "ohhhhh poo poo that's a really good idea goddamn why didn't I think of that, well done Mr Skeleton this is gonna be great."

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
He's trying to keep a straight face but Mr. Skeleton keeps whispering bad jokes in his ear

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Where does the double down fall on this

Serf
May 5, 2011

Splicer posted:

Where does the double down fall on this

structural rebel, ingredient neutral imo, although i could also see ingredient purist

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Dr Cheeto posted:

God, why did they kill 4e

Designers and Dragons seems to suggest that a lot of really bad decisions at Wizards/Hasbro that were made to try to push its revenue up into a 'core' brand are to blame.

First, there was a lot of foot-shooting going on with the changes made to the OGL license that just sort of peed in the faces of a lot of people who were interested in producing content for 4e.

Then, Wizards/Hasbro seemed intent on aggressively creating hostile competition by laying off nearly every goddamn important person associated with the D&D brand.

Then, there was Gleemax/D&D Insider. Insider was particularly bad because it spited every single publisher who tried to make content for 4e by ensuring that only Wizards' 4e products worked with it.

4e, despite being a great and well-designed game, was hamstrung at nearly every available opportunity by upper management that also had the nasty side-effect of creating a lot of discontent among fans.

What Mearls did was just a mercy killing. Hasbro basically killed 4e in the crib.

...I also find it hilarious that Hasbro is trying to start their own convention (HasCon) when the first thing they did after acquiring Wizards was jettison GenCon.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

A sandwich is a food that uses one or more sliced, hollowed, or whole pieces of bread that have been baked prior to assembly (i.e: a pizza is not a sandwich as the toppings are added to the unbaked dough, nor are poptarts sandwiches) to hold one or more toppings.

Toppings can be placed between multiple slices of bread (conventional sandwich, burger, etc), between multiple individually baked flatbreads (e.g naan sandwich), it can be wrapped in a flatbread (e.g wrap, burrito), placed on top of a single slice (open-faced sandwich), inserted into a hollowed out bread (such as a pita) etc.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm good with the top row and leftmost column basically in their entirety.

A wrap is a sandwich, pretty obviously, just with weird bread. An ice cream sandwich is a sandwich because it says so right there.

But then again, Steak & Shake is doing this (probably gross, haven't tried it) thing where you have a burger patty and an open hot dog on a hamburger bun. And that's like obviously a sandwich. But if you put it in a hoagie bun it still seems like it would be despite the presence of a hot dog, you know? Because when it comes down to it, a hot dog is really just bologna, and that's totally a sandwich ingredient. But then given that, why wouldn't a hot dog be one?

And pop tarts ... I mean, that's just a PB&J without the PB, and yet...

And now I have put way too much thought into this.

Serf
May 5, 2011

This war all around us is being fought over the very meanings of words.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm pretty sure peanut butter and jelly pop-tarts are already a thing. That, or Gilmore Girls was lying to me and that is simply unthinkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Why are we arguing about what constitutes a sandwich anyway? We're not angling for an exemption on a tax or tariff.

• Locked thread