Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The only good elf is a dead elf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Periphery posted:

The only good elf is a dead elf.

What about an enslaved (by humans) elf? (Wrong setting for that I know, but it's still a valid question.)

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So how does the Empire match up against the High Elves? They sound like basically a better version of the same, a flexible army with few serious gaps or shortcomings.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Krazyface posted:

So how does the Empire match up against the High Elves? They sound like basically a better version of the same, a flexible army with few serious gaps or shortcomings.

Gunpowder /artillery I'm assuming.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Krazyface posted:

No Guns, only one artillery piece, Expensive units across the board.

If you took away the Wood Elves kiting and tree units/magic arrows but gave them better armor and stronger Infantry/Cav that's probably the closest point of comparison we have right now.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Yea High elves only have 1 artillery unit that I know of and it's a ballista

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Catching up with the thread and I was kinda surprised people didn't really understand the entire thing about the Dark Elves or how they function as a society etc etc. The truth of the matter is they're not nearly as 2D as everyone thinks and I'm more than happy to write words about it because it's almost 2am and my brain is still crackling.

While it's true Malekith is basically the whole reason the Dark Elves are what they are today, for the Dark Elves it was initially less about the fact it was Malekith and more about the fact that Malekith was the son of Aenarion the Defender. Aenarion was the big badass elf that basically became the first Phoenix King by taking into himself the essence/power of the High Elf god Asuryan, and fended off Chaos' first big incursion into Ulthwe. poo poo went bad though and the peace was incredibly short-lived, and Aenarion ended up going and getting the Sword of Khaine, the elven god of murder's sword that for some reason exists in a shrine in the more northerny parts of Ulthwe and as a result also took the essence power of Khaine into himself too. During this period of being extremely mad cause his first family got murdered (well actually his kids didn't but he didn't know this), Aenarion founded the kingdom of Nagarythe which was mostly populated by loyal soldiers who had been through hell with him and their families, married Morathi and Malekith was born. Aenarion was a very grim soul at this point and it was reflected in the people of his kingdom as they acted as vanguards against Chaos, and there were rumours of lots of bloodsports and stuff coming out the kingdom (hi Khaine!). Yada yada great battle magical vortex Aenarion puts the sword back in its altar and dies.

After all that Malekith got passed over for the Phoenix Crown and the elves of Nagarythe felt slighted because to them it was like all their hard work fighting against Chaos was being shoved off to the side and they were basically being told "we don't think you guys are worthy any more" or perhaps even worse "We're very suspicious of you guys", and when Malekith eventually made his play for power they happily went along with it. They lost and got driven out as we all know, basically breaking their fortresses off from the land to sail off when Malekith's attempt to undo the magical vortex to harness its energies backfired and a good chunk of Ulthwe sank. They call that the "Sundering" and the elves of Nagarythe went to a new land they named Naggaroth and decided to make things work there.

Naggaroth loving sucked. It's cold and nothing grows easily there, there's also Orks and Chaos Tribes like hanging out there. Now imagine you're a fleeing people and suddenly need to start working on things like farms and construction and all the stuff you have no idea how to really do and consider beneath you anyway because what you really want to do is get ready to go back and kill the guys who threw you out of your home (which you can't do cause you need to lick your wounds in a fairly inhospitable place). This is more or less why the Dark Elves started taking slaves, to do all the poo poo they will not do because they are trying to go kill their hated kin and anyway there's no prestige in being a farmer or being from the family of a farmer. Thing is after a while with all the worshiping of Khaine for his favor in this endeavor and all the shittiness of their new home requiring ever more work and sacrifice meant slaves became a chief part of not only the economy but of the superiority complex of the Dark Elves. Taking slaves isn't merely just how a Dark Elf ensures there's food on the table, it's also a way to earn prestige and coin if you manage to get and sell a whole bunch of healthy ones, but it's also important for them to express their superiority over others by breaking pretty much everything's spirit so that they answer to them as masters. It's almost like a salve for the fact they got their backsides kicked to a land they decided to name the "Land of Chill" (something none of them have). They treat their beasts more or less the same way, all the horses and monsters they use in their armies aren't simply tamed, they're broken so that at a glance from their owner they become submissive.

There's a bit more in there relating to the politics of the pleasure cults versus the cults of Khaine, the effect having one never-dying ruler in charge for all time ruling with an iron fist never letting you forget why you're in chill town, the first great attempt to take back Ulthwe that made Teclis and Tyrion into the big drat heroes they're recognised as. But really the big thing to know about the Dark Elves is that they aren't simply the way they are for the hell of it, it's just their logic is entirely based around their stubborn mindset. There's a sort of acceptance that the darkest of deeds are what's necessary for them to win because they already lost once before, by and large motivated by their wounded pride and generations of bitterness at their lot in life. The slave trade is necessary in the face of that pride, but is also a weird sort of therapy since it lets them act out cruel superiority games to make themselves feel better.

So they're 2.5D evil because really they're very sore losers.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
See that's not a terrible backstory

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Dark Elves will be fun to play and so will High Elves too much hate in the thread imo

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
fantasy game lore is the worst.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Dark Elves will be fun to play and so will High Elves too much hate in the thread imo

Yes. Because lots of elves will die.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Dark Elf effortpost

Thanks for the write up. That's better than just :murder:

tarbrush posted:

Yes. Because lots of elves will die.

Whoever loses, we win!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

botany posted:

Friend, have you heard of Warhammer 40,000?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Rygar201 posted:

Friend, have you heard of Warhammer 40,000?

alright that is also the worst. all lore is the worst.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Stephen9001 posted:

What about an enslaved (by humans) elf? (Wrong setting for that I know, but it's still a valid question.)

Gorhammer

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

botany posted:

That's what they get for stealing lore from Warcraft.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

drat Dirty Ape posted:

That's what they get for stealing lore from Warcraft.

mods?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

Well, it's a comprehensive overhaul so you can't pick and choose which parts you want. Personally I'd prefer to use Cataph's or Gejnor's magic mod since I feel that even magic in SFO could use some more punch, but since SFO magic balance also covers skill tree changes and entire mechanical changes (for example, SFO essentially has infinite regeneration since Steel Faith didn't like the regen cap), I can't use them on top of it without breaking a lot of poo poo.

Still, it's fantastic for an all-in-one package and the dude pretty much stays consistent with Warhammer "lore" without compromising balance too much.

Thanks. Would you recommend it for a first time player or should I go vanilla for a while?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Honestly you should just play a no mods campaign first, find things you do or don't like about the game then find mods that change it

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

henkman posted:

Honestly you should just play a no mods campaign first, find things you do or don't like about the game then find mods that change it

This. It's generally best to do this with most games unless it's some super old stuff that hasn't aged amazingly, or is STALKER imo.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Tender Bender posted:

Thanks. Would you recommend it for a first time player or should I go vanilla for a while?

There are no essential mods for TW:W, although a lot of people will end up with some mods they won't play without (for me it's just the Less Blood & Gore cosmetic mod, to tone down the dunked-in-red-paint look on units just a bit). The game is great vanilla, and it's probably best you learn the basics that way anyway.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

A vanilla campaign is totally worth playing through, plus maybe the No Aggressive Agents mod if you're playing Dwarfs.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

John Charity Spring posted:

There are no essential mods for TW:W, although a lot of people will end up with some mods they won't play without (for me it's just the Less Blood & Gore cosmetic mod, to tone down the dunked-in-red-paint look on units just a bit). The game is great vanilla, and it's probably best you learn the basics that way anyway.

look at this guy who doesn't think the camera mod is essential

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

http://i.imgur.com/I206nN4.jpg

This made me laugh more than it should.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Just finished my VH Chaos Campaign, pretty painful slog, but bearable thanks to the Chaos Rising mod by Gejnor (thanks man).

Starting a Grombrindal one now, haven't touched him yet, but he seems super OP. Any idea about his ancestor power skill and which ones are better?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

Just finished my VH Chaos Campaign, pretty painful slog, but bearable thanks to the Chaos Rising mod by Gejnor (thanks man).

Starting a Grombrindal one now, haven't touched him yet, but he seems super OP. Any idea about his ancestor power skill and which ones are better?

The best default Power is Grugni, because faster research and lower upkeep are always useful. The other three are good but situational, Use the +replenishment one when you're deep in enemy territory and need to heal on the go, and the buff Grombrindal or Buff Army powers when you're in for a tough fight. When you pick up his unique topskill you get the ability to swap powers every couple of turns so it's easy to always have the one you want up.

Otherwise just put a bunch of points in his blue line and enough in Red to get Smokebomb, it's by far his best activated ability.

Also all his quests are incredibly bullshit. You have to go all the way up to Kraka Drak to get his axe, like his third item will have you move runesmiths all over the map and you need to fight Greenskins 3 times to advance roughly 6000 times to complete all his quest chains. Just get the quest battle mod, honestly.

In general I think Grombrindal is the best Dwarf LL to start with just because the Dwarf campaign is extremely easy but also kind of a slog, so your choices are playing a lovely boring LL and still winning easily, or playing super cool Dude Grombrindal and beating the same easy campaign but having more fun and probably wrapping it up a little faster.

OTOH, Belegar is fun for being basically a challenge run version of the Dwarf Campaign while still having lots of unique stuff.

madmac fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 30, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I was checking out a replay of one of my battles and I noticed an odd stuttering that never happens during the actual battle and the steam FPS counter tells me I never drop below 45+ fps.

I notice the stutter is happening in line during moments when I would pause/slow down time to give orders. Has anyone else encountered this bug? or a way to fix it other than 'don't use the pause button'?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I was checking out a replay of one of my battles and I noticed an odd stuttering that never happens during the actual battle and the steam FPS counter tells me I never drop below 45+ fps.

I notice the stutter is happening in line during moments when I would pause/slow down time to give orders. Has anyone else encountered this bug? or a way to fix it other than 'don't use the pause button'?

Well, it'd be interesting for you to test this out to confirm it has to do with pauses, but I have an idea what might be going on.

AFAIK, TW's replay essentially records the starting state of the battle (random seed and all actions/events that take place), and then generate the battle procedurally. It essentially "refights" the same battle, but its all deterministic. Or at least, it should be: patches can break poo poo of course, but even without that, if the code doesn't properly account for framerate (since logic calculations like "did dude get hit and die" can possibly occur each "tick", things can get wonky if the framerate suffers and suddenly you only are doing logic checks once a second instead of 45 times), you can get desyncs, but that can be accounted for; some things can be fudged by adjusting the results of the calculations based on the time between frames (so a dwarf flying from a charge will fly 1 foot per frame at 60fps, and 2 feet per frame at 30fps), but since even that can mess with things, another thing to do is to force the game to slow down or the rendering to get choppy to ensure that all the calculations are done at the right frames, while not giving a poo poo if it is no longer "real time" or whatever. By doing this, it makes sure that running a replay on a supercomputer and a potato box gets the same results. And it is also important thing to account for even on a single computer during a "real" battle, since you don't want different results when you run slow speed vs when you run max speed.

So what might be happening is that when you pause/slowdown in game, you're often doing so to issue a whole lot of different orders in a short amount of time, resulting in a lot of calculations having to be made, the biggest one probably being the pathfinding calculations. But that's easy to do without slowing down the rendering while you're playing it, because you're already paused or running it at slow speeds. But when you replay the replay at normal speed, suddenly your computer has to do a lot of different calculations in not a lot of frames, causing slowdown.

So, my guess, it is not a bug because it is working as designed and "fixing" it would break everything, and yeah the "solution" is "don't use the pause/slowmo button as much".

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah it sounds like you're pegging your CPU. I wouldn't worry about it too much if it's not affecting anything beyond seeing occasional hiccups.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I played as the VC with that Chaos mod on that lets them heal when they win and boy do I regret taking out the Empire. Just the first Chaos incursion killed the entire old world. loving Vargs and Skaelings joining in didn't help, either.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I wouldn't be against having Varg and Skaeling have defensive modifiers and have additional Norscan tribes spawn with the WoC that are their own hordes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

jokes posted:

I wouldn't be against having Varg and Skaeling have defensive modifiers and have additional Norscan tribes spawn with the WoC that are their own hordes.

Or just break them up until smaller tribes. It's kinda dumb and tedious that the snowy northern vikings are regularly the richest nations around and fielding loads of stacks. Especially if you end up being the only person Skaeling is at war with, which has happened to me. It'd be less bad if their roster was more varied and fun.

I'd also like to see Chaos factions get a mechanic akin to Chivalry that influences other Chaos and Norse to confederate with them.

In my perfect world Beastmen would also get that and they'd all be able to confederate with each other. So if a WoC faction confederated a Beastmen faction they'd have the full roster of both, but the beastman buildings would still be tied to the beastlord and his horde and if he died, he'd have to be replaced by a new chaos guy and all his buildings would be unrepairable/upgradeable and of course they would still have totally seperate red lines. Keep it balanced but allow mixed, crazy chaos hordes late game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I kind of hope they make monsters more monstrous in the second game. Make them a force multiplier but harder to use. Like, they do more damage to standard troops, but also they also do near or as much damage to your own troops so they're not something you mix with your frontline but maybe you send them to bust a flank. Still susceptible to ranged fire and anti-large, natch.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Or just break them up until smaller tribes. It's kinda dumb and tedious that the snowy northern vikings are regularly the richest nations around and fielding loads of stacks. Especially if you end up being the only person Skaeling is at war with, which has happened to me. It'd be less bad if their roster was more varied and fun.

The AI Campaign Balance Mod at least attempts to address their insane income. They really need a full rework to give them a better unit selection and more balanced economy, though. As it stands they probably need the economic boost so that they can accomplish anything at all with their garbage units, but I don't think anyone enjoys fighting stacks and stacks of horse skirmishers.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

High Elf princess concept art. Wimmin in my vidya games!!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Corrode posted:

High Elf princess concept art. Wimmin in my vidya games!!

Oh please. Elves aren't people.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

oh boy I hope they ride side saddle

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

oh boy I hope they ride side saddle

Hell yeah!!!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

oh boy I hope they ride side saddle dragons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Mazdamundi's the only princess I've got eyes for.

:sparkles:

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 2, 2017

• Locked thread